Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Additional oath! Ol' Rowdy and Master Ascetic Naaresh:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

I might put a counter on this one, too, though I'm not quite sure what for as it's not gonna be flying or losing heads.

You might want something for a fiery aura, or a spot for swallowed minis :getin:

Edit: Also for what it's worth, I'd love to oath some figures and try out some zenithal priming on them.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 3, 2014

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I think Leperflesh said it quite well. Zenithal priming is just another step in the priming process. I don't see any reason to reject oaths because of it, unless it becomes a problem and people abuse it. But I don't see that happening - the oath thread has been a pretty honest group for years now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For June 2014, I Vow this Solemn Oath:

• Two islands from Dreadfleet (including some bits that attach to one of them): GW, approximately 1/2400 (0.67mm) scale
  • One "Neb'nesew, Nefsokar Warlord" (proxying as a Tomb Kings liche high priest): Reaper (bones), 28mm
  • Some beetle bitz from the Tomb Kings Necrosphinx/Warsphinx box set, to enhance the base: GW, 28mm

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I'm going to get in on this, because I need to paint more.
I, rzal, will Oath to complete four GW chaos space marines in June.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
If we do an alt. universe oath, do we need to take a picture of everything now? I'm hoping to finish of my Deadzone models (at least the 4 basic faction starters) and some terrain this season. I'll be doing the WIP pictures as I go, and it'd be a bit awkward to fit them all up in one pic.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath addition: 28mm Ototo from Malifaux

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

I, koreban, oath these Astartes Storm Wing by GW for the month of June.

e: The picture was sort of poo poo since I was trying to get the tablet clear enough to read as well. In the interest of disclosure, the storm wing formation is two storm talons and one storm raven, and only one of the storm talon hulls showed up in the oath image, so here's another shot of the full oathed set.

koreban fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 3, 2014

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For June I, Galaspar, oath 5 Tempestus Scions by GW

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for June: Charon and Incarnation of Flame (Reaper, 28mm), and 1 Dreadfleet Black Kraken (Games Workshop, 1/1200 scale?)

For bonuses, I'm going with this month's Inquisitor's Jurnal on Charon, as well as Speed Painting on the Incarnation of Flame!

Beginning of speed painting time. Gonna get started immediately!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BirdieBedtime posted:

Speaking of, I, BirdieBedtime Oath to paint the following Penitent Servitor (GW Bits) for the month of June!

headlor posted:

Ok, for my first ever oath I'm going to start at the oldest models in the backlog so:

I, headlor, oath that I will paint one Escher Ganger, and one Escher Juve (Necromunda, GW, 28mm) for the month of June.

They already have non-standard bases made out of some old textured plastic stuff, does that count for the jurnal?
Yes, custom bases are fine!

thespaceinvader posted:

Oathing one Reaper Bones remorhaz Frost Wyrm.
I have a better shot of the date if needed.
That is SUPER fuzzy, but just readable!

muskets posted:

I, muskets, hereby oath to paint these six Infinity minis (an Ariadna starterbox), 28mm, by Corvus Belli, in the month of June.

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Additional oath! Ol' Rowdy and Master Ascetic Naaresh:siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Leperflesh posted:

For June 2014, I Vow this Solemn Oath:

rzal posted:

I'm going to get in on this, because I need to paint more.
I, rzal, will Oath to complete four GW chaos space marines in June.

Signal posted:

Oath addition: 28mm Ototo from Malifaux

koreban posted:

I, koreban, oath these Astartes Storm Wing by GW for the month of June.

Galaspar posted:

For June I, Galaspar, oath 5 Tempestus Scions by GW

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for June: Charon and Incarnation of Flame (Reaper, 28mm), and 1 Dreadfleet Black Kraken (Games Workshop, 1/1200 scale?)

All of these are Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thiswayliesmadness posted:

If we do an alt. universe oath, do we need to take a picture of everything now? I'm hoping to finish of my Deadzone models (at least the 4 basic faction starters) and some terrain this season. I'll be doing the WIP pictures as I go, and it'd be a bit awkward to fit them all up in one pic.

Yes, a picture will kick off your Oath as normal, and it will get Accepted. Multiple pictures are fine, btw, you don't have to cram them into one picture.

There's someone a few pages back that oathed a bunch of Alternate Universe models before I officially kicked it off, I'll have to get in touch with them to ask them to post a picture.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
3rd post in a row!

:siren: A CALL TO GOONS! :siren:

We're looking for new things to stick into the Grab Bag, goons!

Myself and Manifest are the UK/EU and US/Canada portals of all things Grab-Baginess, and we need some new things for goons to pick out every month!

I'll be collecting all the stuff from goons in the UK & EU, with Grab Bag winners in the UK & EU choosing from what I have on hand.

Manifest will be doing the same for prizes & goons in the US & Canada.

Ausgoons will be able to choose from either location because, hey, they live upside-down to the rest of us anyway, and who knows what it's like down there!

ALL goons who donate stuff to the Grab Bag (or to special monthly contests like last year's) will be entered into a random draw at the end of the season (unless you opt out), so you can get rid of your old models, books, whatever (please no books, they weigh a ton!) and possibly win something back for your generosity!

If you're interested in donating, EMAIL me at krushgroove169 at gmail.com, with your goon name, location and what you've got! Put something like 'Grab bag donation' or similar as your email header so I don't think you're a Russian phisher or something - this also makes it easier for me to check my spam folder.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, on the zenithal priming thing:

It looks like the votes are about even on this. There are some good arguments either side, though:

- zenithal priming can involve detailing effort, but the way some people do it's still just a single layer of paint
- zenithal priming can involve no more effort than regular priming, but it still involves additional steps in the painting process

So...after thinking about this a bit, here's my ruling on this:

I'm going to allow basic zenithal priming. The examples that have been shown have been pretty tame affairs, I think, compared to the zenithal priming I do:

top of Tyranid head:

bottom:

front view:

This is with lighting directly behind the camera, so the shading you're seeing is extreme shading from black almost directly to white, because of the small curve around the horns.

This is more in line with the examples I've seen:

This is black all over with a 'dusting' of white on top, and to me would be totally fine and ALLOWED to be Oathed.

This would be an example of what is NOT ALLOWED:

You can see I've clearly pre-shaded the deeper areas on the top part of this Hive Tyrant wing. The underside is completely black.

This is an extreme example of what is NOT ALLOWED:

Not my picture, not a wargaming model but you get the idea. The extra time that has been taken to do the panel lines on the entire model not only make it look amazingly realistic when the basecoat is put on, but it also involves much more time than just priming a single color.

I don't plan to Oath any of the models in the pictures above, and the examples we've seen haven't been very extreme, really, so I think we're safe to allow zenithal priming for Oathing in the future. If anyone has a problem with this don't be afraid to bring it up in the thread, with my via PM or by email: krushgroove169 at gmail.com.

The point of the Oath Thread has been to be inclusive and inspire people to paint their models, and (at least since I started Oathing a couple of years ago) to encourage new techniques. When I took over the rules adjudication and all that jazz, the rules have been relaxed in some ways (a single model now, instead of a 5-person squad, encouraged by games such as Malifaux with smaller model counts) to get more people to join up, however we had to make sure to not require people to go out and BUY new things like airbrushes, compressors or even cork and model railroad ballast. However, progress has a way of moving forward (usually!) and zenithal priming is definitely a 'thing' now, so I think it should be allowed. Please drop me a line if anyone wants to say anything in private!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I, signalnoise, do hereby OATH these 3 miniatures from Mantic, which includes 1 Enforcer Captain, 1 Plague Stage 1A, and 1 Marauder Ripper Suit.

Also I apparently need to figure out what the gently caress about my camera cause these shots are horrible

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 3, 2014

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, being of sound mind and body, do solemnly oath: These five weirdos that will be probably be counted as Chaos Cultists. Mostly assorted GW, but there's a couple Mongoose Judge Dredd bits, too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

I, signalnoise, do hereby OATH these 3 miniatures from Mantic, which includes 1 Enforcer Captain, 1 Plague Stage 1A, and 1 Marauder Ripper Suit.

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

I, Laika the Space Dog, being of sound mind and body, do solemnly oath: These five weirdos that will be probably be counted as Chaos Cultists. Mostly assorted GW, but there's a couple Mongoose Judge Dredd bits, too.
Accepted!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Speed painting complete!

I'll take better photos in my Oath Complete post (and when I get my light box properly set up). But that's it! I even managed to squeeze in some (simple) basing on it too.

For the record, I hate painting yellow. That poo poo is Satan's Game as far as I'm concerned.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

signalnoise posted:

Also I apparently need to figure out what the gently caress about my camera cause these shots are horrible

You've got more light behind your subject than in front of it. It's more common than you think!

edit: ^^^ :stare:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

moths posted:

You've got more light behind your subject than in front of it. It's more common than you think!

edit: ^^^ :stare:

Always going to be a problem with a huge monitor / tablet / phone screen in the background :v: bane of my oathing existence right there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not really. The screen gives off a certain amount of light, and you can match that light with front-lighting. Position it at an angle so there's no reflections, and you can get reasonable results.

If you are using a real camera, take your photos in aperture priority mode, and use a relatively narrow aperture. This ensures good focus across the whole scene (but requires more light).

Regardless, the less light you have, the more you need to hold the camera totally still because the shutter is going to be open for a longer time, and that means motion blur will ruin the shot if it moves at all.

My oath photo is hardly a paragon of photographic excellence, and I spent very little time setting it up, but you can see that the foreground is about as well lit as the tablet (that's a Kindle Fire).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yea I'm just lazy and want to take a quick and dirty photo most of the time :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

OK, on the zenithal priming thing:

I think that's pretty much the fairest way to do it.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Just a question: if we're adding bits to our bases this month, do we need to take AP photos with those as well? I'm taking a series of photos of the assembly process to do a Double the Fun month, but I'm not sure if I need to take a timestamped AP photo of the non-model parts going on the base.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Question to anyone with experience on the matter - can I, a Canadian in Vancouver, ship a can of mini varnish through the mail? It's in near-mint condition, but is it likely to get stopped at the border?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I'm not familiar with the US/Canada situation, but where I am it varies by carrier. Still, you usually only have trouble if it's an aerosol or otherwise potentially hazardous. Check your carrier's rules on shipping liquids, and whether varnish falls under any specific regulations besides that. Should be on their website.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My best guess is that at a minimum it will be classed ORM-D in the united states, which means it cannot be shipped by air. ORM-D is the lowest classification for potentially toxic substances. ORM-D can be shipped without special paperwork, but you do have to declare it on the box.

If it's not at least ORM-D, then you can ship it without any controls necessary.

I can't find an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) statement online on Army Painter's website: they do have to provide it on request, but they're not required to publish it. The MSDS statement gives specific information about the contents, and that would be a way to tell for certain if there is anything in the can that would require it to be declared as a potentially hazardous substance.

e. just out of curiosity, I've just emailed them requesting an MSDS. Let's find out what's in this stuff. :)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Canspark
Apr 2, 2012

Weirdo posted:

:siren: Question to anyone with experience on the matter - can I, a Canadian in Vancouver, ship a can of mini varnish through the mail? It's in near-mint condition, but is it likely to get stopped at the border?

If you're not able to get it directly to Vancouver, you could always aim for Blaine. I've been using Blaine Enterprises for a few years without any trouble.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tadhg posted:

Just a question: if we're adding bits to our bases this month, do we need to take AP photos with those as well? I'm taking a series of photos of the assembly process to do a Double the Fun month, but I'm not sure if I need to take a timestamped AP photo of the non-model parts going on the base.

Good question - your original Oath picture will have the actual model you're doing, so any conversion work you would do to it wouldn't need to be shown (to me at least - for the conversion contest it's a different matter), so I'm not going to require a separate pic of everyone's base additions either. Just crack on and all's good :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

krushgroove posted:

Good question - your original Oath picture will have the actual model you're doing, so any conversion work you would do to it wouldn't need to be shown (to me at least - for the conversion contest it's a different matter), so I'm not going to require a separate pic of everyone's base additions either. Just crack on and all's good :)

What about prefab bases, resin inserts and wotnot

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, being late with my painting commission and optimistic about my skills, oath the following minis for June:

Armbot Peacemaker (and its Auxbot)
2x Guarda de Assalto (and their two Auxbots)
Dragao TAG
Naga hacker
Mechanist Machinist
one-man death panel Trauma-Doc
Two Palbots
Indigo Spec-Ops

(Everything's 28 mm scale, for Infinity, made by Corvus Belli)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

What about prefab bases, resin inserts and wotnot

Same - although the models would have already been more mounted on the base for the Oath picture?

Also just in case anyone missed it, I already mentioned that resin or custom bases count for the Journal, as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I, krushgroove, do solemnly oath to paint these ten Games Workshop Tyranid Termigants by the end of the month of June!

They're not primed in any way, in fact I need to actually go over the mold lines on them!

I'll also be re-jigging the Oathing rules slightly to reflect the zenithal priming update.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I, Forums Terrorist, oath these 11 T-34s in 15mm by the Plastic Solider Company for the month of June!

Once I have these done I'll have all 21 T-34s in the Tankovy ready to go.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 4, 2014

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
June Oath

Corollary, Privateer Press, 28mm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

krushgroove posted:

I, krushgroove, do solemnly oath to paint these ten Games Workshop Tyranid Termigants by the end of the month of June!

Accepted...

Forums Terrorist posted:

I, Forums Terrorist, oath these 11 T-34s in 15mm by the Plastic Solider Company for the month of June!

Once I have these done I'll have all 21 T-34s in the Tankovy ready to go.
I'm not familiar with these, are these primed or basecoated in green (either is fine) or do they come in green plastic?
Accepted, either way

KingMob posted:

June Oath

Corollary, Privateer Press, 28mm

The time zone should be American Samoa (there are links in the OP you can use), but I'll let this go because you obviously took the picture today. Just make sure to use American Samoa next time! :)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They're spray basecoated with Tamiya NATO Green.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, cool, just wondering. I think I might have to add to the Oathing rules that if they're primed or basecoated, the Oath should say what's been done to them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Weirdo posted:

Hey, Army Painter got back to me with a PDF of the MDS for Quickshade! That was quick, haha.

First off: this is not nice stuff. Don't breathe it in. It's flammable too. It is irritating to skin, can seriously damage your eyes on contact, may cause lung damage if swallowed(!), and is harmful to aquatic organisms so don't pour it into a river.

Section 14 covers transport information, and it says:

quote:

UN-no: 1263
Proper shipping name: paint
Class: 3
Packing group: III
(ADR/RID)
Limited quantities, where it is sufficient to mention: "UN 1263"
Maximum inner packaging, 5 litres. Maximum 30 kg pr package.

As a Class 3 flammable liquid, you must label your shipping box with the appropriate hazard label. FedEx and UPS will both ship Class 3 materials, ground, with the appropriate labeling. I think they may require you to qualify in some way before allowing you to ship hazmats, though. These items also require specific packaging, for example UN POP is a packaging standard which FedEx requires you comply with, with some exceptions, and with additional requirements: " For packages weighing up to 20 lbs. the outer package minimum requirements will be a 200 lb. Bursting test or 32 Edge Crush test package."

They provide additional guidelines for paint, which a quick reading says basically you have to have clips on the lid, and pack using absorbent material.

here's FedEx's shipping guide (PDF)

So...

My advice is to contact Canada Post or check out their website to see if they'll ship it and if so, what the reqirements will be. Or, maybe this is too much hassle to ship a $20(?) can of paint to America or the UK...

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What about mine? :ohdear:

• Locked thread