Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Just finished reading through this thread. My impressions: WickedHate is a walking example of Poe's Law, anybody who's in it for the creepy incest thing should just watch No Game No Life instead (which a) is at least guaranteed to never have the sister's creepy feelings for her brother reciprocated and b) is an infinitely better show in every other regard, to the point of being an actually good show that just has a few unfortunate bits), and this author makes Reki Kawahara look like a loving genius.

Seriously, Mahouka sounds like it might as well be called "what if Tom Kratman wrote an anime".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Sandman posted:

Just finished reading through this thread. My impressions: WickedHate is a walking example of Poe's Law, anybody who's in it for the creepy incest thing should just watch No Game No Life instead (which a) is at least guaranteed to never have the sister's creepy feelings for her brother reciprocated and b) is an infinitely better show in every other regard, to the point of being an actually good show that just has a few unfortunate bits)

A is unfounded and B is a good description of Mahouka.

It's also kind of hypocritical how Mahouka gets the incest in it's thread title but goons liked NGNL so it's incest was brushed off.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah let's be fair here

No Game No Life is equally terrible.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

WickedHate posted:

A is unfounded and B is a good description of Mahouka.

It's also kind of hypocritical how Mahouka gets the incest in it's thread title but goons liked NGNL so it's incest was brushed off.
A is based in the actual text of the story (you know, that thing you have a lot of trouble reading) and B is only a good description of Mahouka in that it's a terrible description of Mahouka and thus not a good description at all.

And the NGNL thread got gassed because goons couldn't brush it off. Mainly because, as a terrible thing weighing down a decent show, the incest-y bits of NGNL are far more objectionable than throwing one more thing onto the pile of reasons why Mahouka is garbage and anybody who likes it as something other than an exercise in masochism has objectively poo poo taste.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah let's be fair here

No Game No Life is equally terrible.

No Game No Life has some incredibly creepy fanservice that gets in the way of enjoying a story that's kind of like... hmm, Death Note during the good half, maybe? I can't think of any other shows that are good examples of "you know the protagonists are going to win, but how they win is inventive enough that it's interesting to watch" off the top of my head, although I'm sure there are a few. And plenty of examples of how to do that in a terrible fashion, of course.

But the thing is, if you were to go in and pare off the bits of NGNL that cater to the worst otaku fetishes, there's still at least an okay story and okay characters. Once you remove the terrible bits of Mahouka, you're left with, what, one or two action scenes? Maybe?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It sounds like you just came to this thread to justify liking a harem show where the sister option was eleven. You, yourself, are doing the "but it's still not a bad show aside from the creepy stuff" thing, like everyone else in that thread was and now you're trying to argue that by proxy with "at least it's better then [show no one but WickedHate likes]".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 2, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

WickedHate posted:

It sounds like you just came to this thread to justify liking a harem show where the sister option was eleven. You, yourself, are doing the "but it's still not a bad show aside from the creepy stuff" thing, like everyone else in that thread was.

No, I came to this thread to mock both you and this show. Raising an example of a show that does everything this show does while (unlike this show) having redeeming features was just a bonus.

Also, if I was trying to justify liking a harem show where the sister option was eleven, I wouldn't be trying to justify liking NGNL (which is a sports/gaming show first and a harem show kinda off to the side, maybe, if any putative romance was a plot point). I'd be trying to justify liking To-Love-Ru. I'm pretty sure that's not a thing that's possible. Although who knows, maybe you could try it. If you like Mahouka, To-Love-Ru is kind of a step up in quality.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
WickedHate, stop deluding yourself in trying to justify how good it is. The only way it can be good is how good someone can make fun of it, and that's only because how terrible it is. In between "justified" human experimentation, Nihon-wanking, xenophobia, and incest fanservice, there is really little going on for it that can't be gotten elsewhere and in better qualities. I'd rather watch Chrome Shelled Regios, and that's a terrible show by my standards. In fact, I'd say the only reason it got published at all and then later turned into an anime is the same reason Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There got published: shameless nationalism pandering.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jwang posted:

WickedHate, stop deluding yourself in trying to justify how good it is. The only way it can be good is how good someone can make fun of it, and that's only because how terrible it is. In between "justified" human experimentation, Nihon-wanking, xenophobia, and incest fanservice, there is really little going on for it that can't be gotten elsewhere and in better qualities.

Aside from the incest none of that is actually in the show. The experimenters are evil and having other governments as bad guys doesn't equal xenophobia or nationalism.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wish I lived your world mate. I guess it requires a certain event in the LN I've heard about to be shown in the anime to actually convince you of the nationalistic aspects

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boredsatellite posted:

I wish I lived your world mate. I guess it requires a certain event in the LN I've heard about to be shown in the anime to actually convince you of the nationalistic aspects

Killing soldiers of an enemy nation doesn't count either.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And why are they the enemy. Think carefully about this answer, for it may surprise you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ha, good one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

And why are they the enemy. Think carefully about this answer, for it may surprise you.

Because it's convenient. There doesn't have to be any racial or xenophobic elements to it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phobophilia posted:

I'm not sure that's a particularly effective argument for the show being "go go gadget greater east asia co-prosperity sphere," though. If you're going to have a geopolitical threat to Japan, China is going to be one of the primary options, as they are large, close, and increasingly aggressive. Antagonistic relationships between nations do exist, they're not just the products of writers' imaginations, and it's silly to say that writers can never reference them or have to make every enemy come from a made-up country.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
No you dumbshit there is a ton of political and economic tension over a bunch of nationalists dickwaving at one another and lots of unresolved history from some horrendous war crimes within living memory. And like Russia, China can be used as a homogenous dehumanised horde of enemies for the heroes to vanquish.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I recently watched Code Geass go full retard and even that loving show had some clever elements and unexpected role reversals under its nationalistic exterior.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phobophilia posted:

No you dumbshit there is a ton of political and economic tension over a bunch of nationalists dickwaving at one another and lots of unresolved history from some horrendous war crimes within living memory.
I don't think constructing a literary milieu where everyone talks around an issue so clearly you can see the exact contours of what they aren't talking about is a healthy way of dealing with the fact that the world is a messed-up place with many extant conflicts. If there are conflicts with China that are likely to continue into the future, it's going to pop up in fiction now and then unless there's active suppression of the idea.

quote:

And like Russia, China can be used as a homogenous dehumanised horde of enemies for the heroes to vanquish.
So it's fine if it's a smaller country like NK? Or is this an objection to having any sort of geopolitical conflict in any work of fiction, because any nation can be presented as a homogenous horde? That seems like a rather sweeping taboo.

I mean, the series is most likely going to handle things poorly, but you can't just say the show has Chinese antagonists and claim your work is done.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
From what I understand, the MC's family--who are presented as morally grey---are quasi-exculpated by the story because the MC's aunt was raped by Chinese kidnappers, so you see it was terrible but justified vengeance when they had their hosed up mutant son go massacre thousands of the continentals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

From what I understand, the MC's family--who are presented as morally grey---are quasi-exculpated by the story because the MC's aunt was raped by Chinese kidnappers, so you see it was terrible but justified vengeance when they had their hosed up mutant son go massacre thousands of the continentals.

(A) Did Tatsuya murder civilians or was it a fight against an evil army? Key difference.

(B) I'm really not getting morally gray out of the depiction of Tatsuya and Miyuki's family. They seem totally evil.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The Yotsuba are pretty much presented as evil. They're not really morally grey. I mean Gary Stu's dad got forced by them to marry his hosed up mother and have babies because ~mage genetics sperg~. They have cloned child soldiers/assassins. When Aunty got kidnapped and raped by the Chinese they proceeded to get revenge by murdering almost anyone in a lab coat in China. Them treating Gary Stu like poo poo for ~mage genetics sperg~ reasons is pretty much just the poo poo topping on top of a pile of poo poo.

Also he blew up a few thousand people and/or disintegrated them because some (mixed race) Japanese soldiers betrayed Japan for China and killed his mother and almost his sister so it was time to murder all the Chinese invaders.

Edit: He gets around to murdering non-soldiers later. Such as: Chinese Triads and human victims of the Chinese Triads who have been turned into humanoid weapons. They too were probably Chinese at some point.

SorcerousHam fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 2, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So I have to do like 2 and a half hours of bus travel a day nowadays, and what better way to pass that time than with a good book.

Unfortunately I've been reading mahouka volume 3 instead...

In story order of things I hate

quote:

Yet, the reason why Leo and Mikihiko were unable to utter a single word wasn't because they were struck speechless by Erika barging in without any consideration to others. Their widened eyes clearly testified to this point.
In 2095 AD, fashion and proper decorum demanded that any trace of exposed flesh be covered in public. Since school was considered a public environment, even if it was in summer, women were still obligated to wear jackets and a colorless, impenetrable pair of tights or leggings beneath their dresses.
That being said, these rules didn't apply to athletic uniforms, so athletic clubs suffered no penalty or criticism for revealing their hands or legs with their uniform, and physical education classes were also not bound by this rule. For example, Tatsuya and the other male students were currently wearing shorts that did not extend to their knees while Mizuki was wearing a fairly long pair of rhythm pants, which was the standard uniform for physical education.
On the other hand, Erika was......
Both of her legs were completely uncovered.
From the thighs down, everything was revealed to the sweltering summer air. Her pants had no length to speak of whatsoever. Finally, the T-shirt she wore barely extended over the pants, giving the impression she was wearing only her underwear.
Her tight thighs showed no signs of coarse muscle; their reddish tint caused by the sun only served to embellish and accentuate their original white caliber.
"Erika, why are you dressed like that?!"
Mikihiko finally reclaimed his wits as his voice spiked, though the unavoidable blush on his face had nothing to do with the UV rays the sun was giving off. There were plenty of opportunities to see a pair of legs outside of school, so it wasn't like Mikihiko was a complete prude, but the "coquettish" air that Erika's legs were giving off was enough to cause almost any of her male peers to lose their composure.
"What? This is the traditional women's athletic uniform."
It was obvious with a single glance what state Mikihiko's mind was currently in, except Erika never mentioned it at all as she tilted her head sideways and replied back with a surprised expression on her face. It certainly didn't look like she was dressed like that solely to tease her childhood friend.
"That's traditional?"
That being said, the man of the hour thought this was all to tease him, as could be seen from Mikihiko's face that colored even more in fury.
"Is that so? I thought this was some unique design for the rhythm pants."
Tatsuya interjected to change the pace and to prevent Erika from unintentionally pouring more fuel on the fire.
"This isn't a pair of rhythm pants."
Saying this only changed the victim from Mikihiko to Tatsuya, but one glance at Tatsuya's stoic face was sufficient to tell that he far surpassed Mikihiko in composure and patience. No, it might be more appropriate to say that Tatsuya wasn't sensitive enough to fall for Erika's provocations.
"But, these aren't tennis briefs either, right?"
"Even I'm not interested in wearing just the briefs and not the skirt. These are called bloomers."
"Bloomers? Sounds like brooms. Did they used to wear those while cleaning?"
"Don't be stupid! Didn't I just say these are athletic uniforms for women?!"
In 2095 AD, bloomers are forbidden. I really don't get the author's obsession with demure dress other than the fact it means he gets to go weirdly descriptive whenever legs are shown.

quote:

"Eh, is it okay if I take a look?"
Truthfully speaking, Azusa generally avoided — more like was terrified of — Tatsuya. Precisely because of this impression, Tatsuya wanted to smile wryly. However, given the way Azusa was bouncing around like a small animal and unable to calm down, he probably shouldn't treat her too poorly.
This may be a form of popularity — Tatsuya thought as he removed the jacket he wore even in the heat of summer — with built-in cooling systems, of course — and took off the shoulder holster before handing it to Azusa.
"Wow~ It's an original model for the Silver series.
Such an amazing trim would draw incredible lines when drawing and firing.
Something that didn't just cater to high technical skills but also a design that also took the user's skill into account.
Ah, I worship your genius, Silver-sama......"
After she received the holster, Azusa was happy enough to almost rub her face against it.
Tatsuya was barely able to maintain his poker face.
After Azusa meticulously went over every centimeter of the holster — or maybe finally satisfied herself— she returned it to Tatsuya with a pleased smile on her face.
"Shiba-kun is also a fan of the Silver series? If based only on price and specs, the Maximilian Speed Shooter, Russ Type-F, or even Sagittarius series developed by FLT (Four Leaves Technology) are better deals, but the individual customization of the Silver series is so good that no one cares about the price!"
Tatsuya recalled that Mari once described Azusa as a "Device-otaku".
At the time, he was considerate enough to consider this an exaggeration, but after witnessing her behavior today, he reflected that such a nickname was probably inevitable.
From Tatsuya's perspective, if the contrast between price and performance — efficiency, in other words — was too low, then satisfaction would also drop. Even if that were the case, true performance may differ from official documentation. Simply put, qualitative performance that could not be converted into numerical format was also very important. If one could be "satisfied" without making this sort of analysis, Tatsuya considered that to be nothing more than brand loyalty.
That being said, that was a matter of personal values, so if she said she was satisfied, he had no reason to rain on her parade.
Azusa has only one character trait, and that is that she knows a lot about CADs. Naturally her knowledge and opinions are inferior to silver-sama though.

quote:

After the siblings shared their customary dinner together, the telephone picked this precise moment to start ringing.
Speaking of which, as everyone knows, almost all modern telephones were equipped with "web cams", a detail that third rate social commentators never failed to decry, saying that they aren't tele"phones" but tele"screens" or some related but meaningless subject. Even with this projected function brought into fruition, they are still referred to as "telephones".
— Back on topic —
Miyuki was currently in the kitchen cleaning up.
She wasn't adamant on doing the dishes herself since she could pass them to the HAR, but their household wasn't equipped with the 3H (Humanoid Home Helper, or simply "Housework robot") that had just hit the market for mass consumption. The two of them unanimously agreed that having a pair of robot arms extending from the ceiling was more of a hassle than anything, so they were better off cleaning up after themselves.
— Miyuki said that if they were too lazy to do even this, their fitness would rapidly decrease.

— Once again, back on topic —

Simply put, this was the reason why Tatsuya picked up the phone, though occasionally — that's how it was.
Thanks for the weird level of justification for Tatsuya answering the telephone.

Following this, Miyuki gets turned on at the thought of making onii-sama tea late at night...

quote:

There's no need to repeat this, but Miyuki was the publicly acknowledged honor student.
Not only was she talented beyond all belief, but she also was extremely diligent.
Besides taking care of her Onii-sama's day-to-day life, she also studied until late in the night.
Today also, she studied until near midnight before shutting off the electric monitor and storing it in the table.
She wasn't exhausted yet.
According to her experience, it was hard to fall asleep when going to bed in this stimulated state. This could be quickly remedied with the sleeping device, but Onii-sama frowned upon using the technology that nearly 70% of the country uses. Since Tatsuya objected to this technology, Miyuki would have no reason to use it.
Then let's make another cup of tea to change the mood, Miyuki thought.
It was totally worth it for her to hunt down the best quality Muscatel, as evidenced by her Onii-sama's delight with the tea. Simply reflecting on Onii-sama's smile was more than enough for her to have a wonderful dream, but if she could see it one more time, and maybe even have Onii-sama rub her head, then that would be even better.
Miyuki was just heading to the kitchen, when a sudden thought crossed her mind when she stopped in front of the mirror.
Miyuki nodded slightly, then a slightly mischievous smirk formed on her face.
, then she takes him a cup of tea in a really fancy dress and...

quote:

Miyuki swiftly glanced downwards, then swallowed hard.
The chair that was supposed to be beneath him — was gone.
Tatsuya's right leg was crossed over his left and his right elbow was directly perpendicular atop the right knee, like he was stretching the upper half of his body forward...... As he sat in mid air.
"I also wanted Miyuki to test out this calculation device."
Tatsuya maintained this position as he slid towards Miyuki until he was roughly an arm's length away before stopping. He then uncrossed his legs and straightened his feet much like how he would rise from a chair.
With this series of motions, his physical body naturally returned to earth
"......Flying-Type Magic...... Sustained Gravity-Control Type Magic has been completed!"
She was only distracted for a split second.
Miyuki nearly pounced on her brother as she seized his hand in joy.
"Onii-sama, congratulations!"
Turns out he's invented flight and it works for everyone.

E: It's not so much the fact he's invented flight that bothers me, it's the fact that he did it then waited in that pose for miyuki to bring him tea.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 2, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So, is this better or worse than all the stuff from :tvtropes: that you suffered through in days of yore? :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mahouka is the top show of the season. :nws: website.

SorcerousHam posted:

Edit: He gets around to murdering non-soldiers later. Such as: Chinese Triads and human victims of the Chinese Triads who have been turned into humanoid weapons. They too were probably Chinese at some point.

This sounds fine? One is a ruthless criminal organization and the others there probably isn't a choice in and it's mercy kills.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
You do realize that a lot of people having poo poo taste does not make their taste any less poo poo, right?

It just means that you're not a uniquely terrible individual. There are many others, much like you. Except more Japanese. And male. And probably older. So not much like you, actually.

Your relation to this show is kind of like a Twilight fan's relationship to their chosen excretion, isn't it? Where girls inexplicably like a work of fiction that depicts all its female characters as little better than vapid cheerleaders for the boring invincible protagonist, when they're not kidnapping bait?

...or is it more like female fans of Gor?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Sandman posted:

You do realize that a lot of people having poo poo taste does not make their taste any less poo poo, right?

It just means that you're not a uniquely terrible individual. There are many others, much like you. Except more Japanese. And male. And probably older. So not much like you, actually.

I'm Japanese-American, it's one of the top ranking anime of both genders, and I was just posting that because it's relevant to the thread, not as an argument.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Because it's convenient. There doesn't have to be any racial or xenophobic elements to it.

Okay, think of the following situation (one where it's actually completely logical to do a Godwin, since the Chinese are quite literally to Japan what Jews are to Germany; like, it's literally not even an exaggeration here):

Germany creates show where Israel is the antagonist country. Israel has manipulated Jews and Jew sympathizers within Germany into committing acts of terrorism. Fortunately Germany has access to powerful modern technology with which they can fight the hordes of primitive Jews.

Context matters. It isn't the same as just any random country being chosen as an antagonist; this is a country which, within living memory, suffered terrible atrocities at the hands of Japan. Atrocities that many prominent Japanese politicians continue to downplay or even deny. It is incredibly hosed up for a Japanese citizen to write fiction portraying China as a more or less morally black/white enemy. From what we've seen so far, China is pretty much completely evil and Japan is unambiguously morally (and apparently technologically) superior to them, even if there might be some actors within Japan that are bad.

It's also actually pretty fascist; China is portrayed as being both a great threat and inferior to them technologically (which sort of implies that they're also less intelligent).

edit: The funny thing is that my analogy is actually a little generous. Germany actually does probably have the moral high ground over Israel in the present day, and - unlike Japan - they have made extensive "denazification" efforts, to the extent where it's a criminal act to deny the Holocaust. Despite this, it would still be incredibly insensitive and awful if a German person created fiction demonizing Israelis.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm Japanese-American.

Yeah, like that gives you the moral high ground. And explains quite a bit. Either that or you're a very elaborate troll.

And while we're chipping away at your identity, did your family emigrate to the United States before or after World War II? If the former, did they face persecution or sent to an internment camp during the war? What are your thoughts on the Nanjing Massacre? The Bataan Death March? The Alexandra Hospital massacre?

And don't think that because I'm Chinese American I ignore and hand waved the corruption of the Qing Dynasty, the Nationalists mishandling of World War II, the purges of Communist China, and various other dark moments in Chinese history. Frankly, I'm ashamed of various parts of American history as well.

And Ytlaya's post more or less falls in line with my feelings on how this light novel and anime are portraying its antagonists. What the author has done here is tasteless, disrespectful, and highlights his poor ability to write in general; let alone write realistic, interesting, and multidimensional antagonists in a world and story that is meant to be taken seriously assuming that that was his intention.

That isn't to say you should stop with these discussions because this is just so entertaining. And you seriously linked an article from Sankaku Complex? Troll or not, you're entertaining all right. :allears:

It's too bad that so many other people are eating this poo poo up. :negative:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Now I know what's bugging me about this anime, The protagonist never actually struggles. He just jokingly expresses power at the drop of a hat making him godlike.

Even in Code Geass where lelouch is probably the smartest guy around he runs into walls or situations that tax him and make it seem like he has trouble. Toaru where Toma has the most OP power still has a weakness of getting shot or making mistakes.

If Tatsuya actually had to struggle against something or a proper weakness it would get on much better.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, like that gives you the moral high ground.
I was responding to the statement that other viewers were "more Japanese" then me.

Edward IV posted:

And don't think that because I'm Chinese American I ignore and hand waved the corruption of the Qing Dynasty, the Nationalists mishandling of World War II, the purges of Communist China, and various other dark moments in Chinese history. Frankly, I'm ashamed of various parts of American history as well.

I'm not dismissing war crimes or ignoring they happened. There's just no reason to think that has anything to do with China being the bad guy. It's like saying having a black villain oppose white protagonists in Western media is automatically racist because of slavery.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Now I know what's bugging me about this anime, The protagonist never actually struggles. He just jokingly expresses power at the drop of a hat making him godlike.

Even in Code Geass where lelouch is probably the smartest guy around he runs into walls or situations that tax him and make it seem like he has trouble. Toaru where Toma has the most OP power still has a weakness of getting shot or making mistakes.

If Tatsuya actually had to struggle against something or a proper weakness it would get on much better.
Completely valid and true criticism.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

The first arc, which lasted 7 episodes, culminated in fighting a villain who could do nothing against the protagonist. He's immune to all his magic and the "good guys" beat up him and dismember him and he can't do a single thing about it. It's like watching a professional boxer seriously fighting a child. Roughly 2.5ish hours, all for that.

It's p funny to me that this power fantasy spent a lot of time building up to what came across to me as one heck of a bullying incident since heck, they appeared to take some glee in lopping that dude's arm off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

There's just no reason to think that has anything to do with China being the bad guy. It's like saying having a black villain oppose white protagonists in Western media is automatically racist because of slavery.

Actually, it is in fact racist as all poo poo when a movie has white protagonists against a bunch of black antagonists.

Again, this isn't because there might not be a situation like that in real life; it's because someone decided for that to be part of the plot of a movie created in the context of our history and society.

(Then when you add in the whole "mixed race people sympathizing with/assisting the antagonist" things get even uglier!)

edit: For what it's worth, I don't think that you're a bad person or hold any actively racist beliefs. I don't even think that you're dumb or anything. I think that you're just sort of young and naive (I think you said you just graduated high school), and most of the other people who post on this forum are in their twenties or older. I mean, you were literally like 9 years old when I registered on this forum (and I think I was 19 when I registered).

This is also probably why this show's ratings are so drastically different from the response it's getting in this thread (well, that and Japanese people being more receptive to the nationalism). Most people who watch the show are probably high school to college age, while most people on this forum are older (and this forum also does a good job of filtering out really terrible people).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 3, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, it is in fact racist as all poo poo when a movie has white protagonists against a bunch of black antagonists.

I didn't say "a bunch of". You might as well be saying the Daredevil movie is racist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I didn't say "a bunch of". You might as well be saying the Daredevil movie is racist.

You didn't say a bunch of, but in this show it is "a bunch of." I was just correcting your analogy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

You didn't say a bunch of, but in this show it is "a bunch of." I was just correcting your analogy.

The bad guys are the government of a largely homogeneous nation, what are you expecting? There actually are Japanese villains too anyway, because so far in the show that's all there's been, plus Tatsuya and Miyuki's family.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It's the government of a largely homogeneous nation.

Governments consist of a bunch of people. To make the analogy better, it would be like America being the protagonist and Nigeria being the antagonist, but where black Americans are traitors who assist Nigeria and no black people are really portrayed in a positive light (though even if a token few were it would still be pretty bad).

The existence of some bad Japanese doesn't make a show immune from possibly having nationalist or racist themes.

Even if you ignore anything pertaining to race, what I was saying about the whole "Japan as a protagonist against an evil China" setting being extremely insensitive at best and downright fascist at worst still applies. It was the author's choice to have this story take place in the the "real world" (in the sense that the same countries exist and same history took place). It also happens to be the case that right wing Japanese politicians use China as an excuse to try and loosen the restrictions on Japan being able to maintain an offensive military, so "China is the bad guy" stories written in Japan automatically take on a pretty right-wing slant.

It's like those American writers who write thrillers about badass Americans marines fighting evil middle eastern terrorists (except those will at least usually include some token "good arabs"). That sort of plot is pretty much inherently right-wing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 3, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Governments consist of a bunch of people. To make the analogy better, it would be like America being the protagonist and Nigeria being the antagonist, but where black Americans are traitors who assist Nigeria and no black people are really portrayed in a positive light (though even if a token few were it would still be pretty bad).

America and Nigeria don't have a real life antagonistic relationship and Nigeria isn't a superpower in a position to threaten America if it wanted, there would be white villains both working with Nigeria and not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

America and Nigeria don't have a real life antagonistic relationship and Nigeria isn't a superpower in a position to threaten America if it wanted, there would be white villains both working with Nigeria and not.

And there also isn't a history of America committing terrible military atrocities in Nigeria. One of these things (Japan committing atrocities against the Chinese) actually happened, while the other is something right-wing Japanese politicians use as an excuse to try and increase the size of Japan's military. No one who isn't either really ignorant or a right-wing shill honestly thinks China is going to take any military action against Japan.

An American movie (or game, like the Battlefield 4 campaign) where America goes to war against China would also be jingoist and right-wing, though at least America doesn't have a history of murdering millions of Chinese people.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

That's an interesting hosed up read, but be warned, there's some :nms: images in this article.

Jesus Christ Japan. :psyboom:

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 3, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, like that gives you the moral high ground. And explains quite a bit. Either that or you're a very elaborate troll.

And while we're chipping away at your identity, did your family emigrate to the United States before or after World War II? If the former, did they face persecution or sent to an internment camp during the war? What are your thoughts on the Nanjing Massacre? The Bataan Death March? The Alexandra Hospital massacre?

And Ytlaya's post more or less falls in line with my feelings on how this light novel and anime are portraying its antagonists. What the author has done here is tasteless, disrespectful, and highlights his poor ability to write in general; let alone write realistic, interesting, and multidimensional antagonists in a world and story that is meant to be taken seriously assuming that that was his intention.

That isn't to say you should stop with these discussions because this is just so entertaining. And you seriously linked an article from Sankaku Complex? Troll or not, you're entertaining all right. :allears:

It's too bad that so many other people are eating this poo poo up. :negative:

Are they (at least the non-Japanese viewers) even aware of the thinly veiled nationalism and anti-Chinese rhetoric? Not that it matters because either answer would just piss me off and lower my faith in humanity in general.

Don't forget Unit 731 as well.

Like the past history between Japan and China would make this anime insensitive at the least and loving nationalistic and xenophobic at the worst. I still don't get how someone doesn't see this as insensitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

Don't forget Unit 731 as well.

Like the past history between Japan and China would make this anime insensitive at the least and loving nationalistic and xenophobic at the worst. I still don't get how someone doesn't see this as insensitive

The show says that the chinese are bad guys, so obviously that is true. Interpreting a work of fiction further than repeating the lines verbatim just means you are trying too hard.

• Locked thread