Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
EDIT: never mind

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As far as "You're not really the character, just a force controlling them," I think Omikron: The Nomad Soul did it better.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Speedball posted:

As far as "You're not really the character, just a force controlling them," I think Omikron: The Nomad Soul did it better.

MindJack: David Cage did it better.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

fool_of_sound posted:

This except MindJock, and Jim wears a football helmet.

MindJock could be the Scottish version. Which would be awesome, given the type of things that random Scottish passers-by are capable of.

(Genuine headline from genuine incident. Scotland is a magical place.)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

your evil twin posted:

Nah I think that Jim and Rebecca are completely unaware of the mind slaving and mind hacking/jacking that is going on.

I do like the idea that the player has hacked into the protagonist and is remotely controlling Jim/Rebecca. A rather meta take on the player/character relationship, and a pretty cool twist even though I already suspected it much earlier. Also explains how you are able to leave your body and float around and they will keep on fighting as AI characters.

Deadly Premonition did something similar with the character Francis York Morgan talking to his imaginary companion Zak all the time, and during combat sections saying "I'll let you handle this one, Zak." MindJack is basically doing that, except that he doesn't know about Zak.

The problem is that the player is also hacking or mindslaving soldiers and robots and creating an army of friendly NPCs to help the protagonists. So if the heroes aren't supposed to know they are being hacked, they should be questioning why there's loads of enemies defecting to their side and why random civilians start helping them.

Perhaps when Jim and Rebecca are hacked they are intentionally made oblivious to such things. Like how in the old Ghost in the Shell anime people could be hacked to think all kinds of crazy stuff and be fighting to save a wife and girlfriend that do not exist. The recent game Remember Me does something similar where you hack into a bounty hunter lady and change her memories so that she is on your side.

But since the game doesn't explain this, it seems really dumb!

You've given this 100% more thought than the writers did.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The worst part about Remember Me is that the bounty hunter never recovers her memory and fights you as a boss. Totally should have. That game did a lot of things right but it still left some things to be desired.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Speedball posted:

The worst part about Remember Me is that the bounty hunter never recovers her memory and fights you as a boss. Totally should have. That game did a lot of things right but it still left some things to be desired.

I gave up after wasting way too much time trying to climb across a stupid rear end spinny sign. 'Nuff said.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Speedball posted:

Yeah, I really liked Remember Me a lot but it's very confused on its morality and ethics. It fluctuates wildly on whether the protagonist is doing what's right or not, and never settles down on a position, like it's afraid to take a stand that might differ from the player's. A different problem from MindJack's "the team was in the office all the time but we all had our Wanderers leave and go down to the pub during office hours instead of working" issue.

Plus, Remember Me was at least extraordinarily pretty.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Loki_XLII posted:

So was the door wreckage that Anthony shot the monkey through a legitimate case of the game trapping him, or Anthony not knowing how to vault over things in the game?

Interesting idea, but you do auto-vault over stuff as a "Wanderer", so, no, Anthony was definitely stuck in that room.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

judge reinhold posted:

Interesting idea, but you do auto-vault over stuff as a "Wanderer", so, no, Anthony was definitely stuck in that room.

I wonder if he could have possessed someone from there to get out of that room.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Speedball posted:

I'm actually convinced that this is going to be the big twist of Half Life 3. You're not Gordon, you're some rear end in a top hat behind a computer making this nice physicist kill aliens. The G-Man knows this and finds it hilarious, but then annoying.

I mean, what explanation did the characters have for the random passers-by and robots helping them out? Spontaneous good will? Lilo and Stitch pulling an inside job?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Last time on MindJack, Jim and Rebecca uncovered a core gameplay element called Mind Waving. This amazing new technology allows for the two to take control of other people's brains and make them fight on their side, so look forward to seeing them use this newly discovered gameplay element. Anyway, the tutorial was cut short after a giant ape burst onto the scene. People got stuck in a lot of doors, monkeys laid traps, it was all very dire. Then our dear friend Lyle Fernandez came to our rescue and shot the ape!! However, Rebecca has made herself scarce, perhaps intimidated by Lyle's good fashion sensibilities. Will Jim and Lyle go clubbin'? What makes Lyle so threatening to Rebecca who just told Jim that there are malcontents within the FIA trying to destroy it and work for NERKAS? Will somebody get stuck in a door? Watch and find out!

(since our blip days are numbered, I'm only going to upload to "YouTube", which is a premiere video uploading service owned by Google. So click the banner to watch from here on out.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is some amazing drama at the start there.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

judge reinhold posted:

Spannung is German for excitement.

Spannung can refer to voltage or suspense. AG could be interpreted as "Aktiengesellschaft", which is basically a "joint-stock company".

And More fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

AG could be interpreted as "Aktiengesellschaft", which is basically a "joint-stock company".

I thought that was GmbH!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

And More posted:

Spannung can refer to voltage or suspense. AG could be interpreted as "Aktiengesellschaft", which is basically a "joint-stock company".

I admire this game's dedication to world-building the flavor text for companies that aren't NERKAS and that nobody except three assholes on YouTube would even bother to notice.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought that was GmbH!

Well, basically.

edit: AG can also stand for "Arbeitsgruppe", which would be a working group. That doesn't really seem right in this context, though.

judge reinhold posted:

I admire this game's dedication to world-building the flavor text for companies that aren't NERKAS and that nobody except three assholes on YouTube would even bother to notice.

All this world-building, and they still fail to have the title make sense. It's beautiful, really.

Anyway, now that we've finally found the MindJules to our MindJim, maybe the story can finally get going.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 2, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

D_W posted:

I wonder if he could have possessed someone from there to get out of that room.

You can use R1 and L1 when a Wanderer to warp between available Jacky-Things, which might have helped. Might.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WFGuy posted:

Plus, Remember Me was at least extraordinarily pretty.

Yeah, fricking Final Fantasy XIII wasn't that pretty. It looked like it was a generation ahead of its time.

fake edit: Oh crap a new update!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

AG Farben is the true badguys.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Will MindJim be able to get away from Spoon Nanny in time to go to the NERKAS? :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MindLilo: "Where'd Weiss go?"
MindJim: "Where do you think?"

*no reaction except to raise guns for giant robot battle*

*battle ends*

MindLilo: "So where did Weiss go?"

:psyduck: Did human beings make this game?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes, but they got Mindjack'd.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They all had toxic levels of body thetans.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I don't know which pun is better for this episode; Mimejack or Fastronaut.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oh sure, correct him on Au being gold's chemical symbol but not mention that Ag is still silver. Way to drop the ball on your TV Tropes-assigned roles. :colbert:

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
The R2-D2s with rockets remind me more of really angry versions of H.E.R.B.I.E from Fantastic Four.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm excited about our upcoming adventures right in the heart of NERKAS, where we learn that every employee of NERKAS is also employed by the FIA.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm glad someone decided to make you guys a TV tropes page. Now I can finally accurately describe your roles to my friends.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Why don't I have a tv tropes page? :colbert: I want to read about the fridge brilliance of my ubiquitous subverted tropes.

Regy Rusty posted:

MindLilo: "Where'd Weiss go?"
MindJim: "Where do you think?"

*no reaction except to raise guns for giant robot battle*

*battle ends*

MindLilo: "So where did Weiss go?"

There was a bit early in the video where Jim had some kind of headache or seizure. Any idiocy in the characters' dialogue or behaviour can be explained away by the mind hacking screwing with their brains.

Wait a minute, I just realised something...

At the beginning of the game Jim was ordered to just observe Weiss and not interfere... and then completely disregarded his orders, 'made contact' and killed the guy she was meeting with. Lilo was pissed at him for being such a dumbass. But the explanation for this will be that we mindhacked Jim and made him do it :psyboom:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kloro posted:

MindJock could be the Scottish version. Which would be awesome, given the type of things that random Scottish passers-by are capable of.

(Genuine headline from genuine incident. Scotland is a magical place.)

I thought Cracked Photoshopped that headline. Scotland is truly a land of wonder.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Who the hell calls traffic cones "pylons"? Now we just need to see what you call soft drinks and we'll have another piece of the puzzle.

Gotta be honest, I was expecting a starcraft joke, but I guess that would've been Anthony's purview.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Who the hell calls traffic cones "pylons"? Now we just need to see what you call soft drinks and we'll have another piece of the puzzle.

Gotta be honest, I was expecting a starcraft joke, but I guess that would've been Anthony's purview.

A classic joketelling technique, the "bait and then talk about something else".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
At this point, I have given up even trying to make the least bit of sense of this game. Imma gonna chill out and watch the pretty colors.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Centzon Totochtin posted:

This has been established in the canon. It's fizzy soda pop drink.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

judge reinhold posted:

I'm sorry, I guess someone hasn't been updating mendrinkin'wikia. TvTropes hogging all the glory, as usual.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

judge reinhold posted:

You gotta throw "coke" in there somewhere if you really want to confuse your location of origin.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I personally have never heard Toamovers or wharever you were calling the anti-gravity massage tables.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

PrinceRandom posted:

I personally have never heard Toamovers or wharever you were calling the anti-gravity massage tables.

Towmotors? They're either a brand or another name for a forklift. I tell ya, the worst day of my life was when this truck pulled up with about 12 pallets of crap and I had to unload them all by myself over a precarious bridge between the dock and the truck. I got 'em out ok, turns out they were all full of NERKAS bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Samizdata posted:

At this point, I have given up even trying to make the least bit of sense of this game. Imma gonna chill out and watch the pretty colors.

Colors? Plural?

• Locked thread