Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

The iron cross has been the symbol for the Wehrmacht long before hitler showed up.

It's just it's usually the goto symbol of "We want nazis but can't show swastikas because its for kids/France"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rutibex posted:

It's just it's usually the goto symbol of "We want nazis but can't show swastikas because its for kids/France"

Or Germany, presumably?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Purchase question, I've had a 25 dollar Wal-mart gift certificate since Christmas because I never shop at one, is there anything in that store on their website worth purchasing I don't mind spending over the 25 buck limit for a good deal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe they sell steam gift cards which you can redeem for Ticket to Ride? :v:

Krypsis
Nov 8, 2013
Trying to find a copy of Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition to buy that won't cost ~$70, anybody know of a website that is selling / have a copy they want to sell?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Texibus posted:

Purchase question, I've had a 25 dollar Wal-mart gift certificate since Christmas because I never shop at one, is there anything in that store on their website worth purchasing I don't mind spending over the 25 buck limit for a good deal.

From a quick look on their website, Wal-Mart has a things like Dominion, Settlers, and Carcassonne for a dollar or two more than the price on CoolStuffInc. I'd just go to a store and see if something's on sale, else check the price on CoolStuffInc before purchasing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

I just checked their website and saw: Dominion, Carcassone, Mage Knight, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Quirkle on the first page. It is safe to say you have many options.

The real answer is of course http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cat-Opoly-Board-Game/11035094

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Texibus posted:

Wal-Mart is a decent place to pick up a Plano box for storage, if the Plano box they have in stock is the one you want.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Search is down and google didn't help - have people talked about Havana in here? I just picked it up for £10 as I needed a new game and I'm sure I had heard of it somewhere.

Anything to be aware of? Reviews seem to be positive.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Twilight Struggle Deluxe edition will be available from the GMT website tomorrow, and presumably soon for other online game stores.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Seeing that board game organizer is awesome, but I assume making anything decent-looking requires a laser cutter for the thin wood? I'd love an organizer for my Elder Sign + expansion box, and maybe one for my Ascension box as well, but have no idea how to go about starting it.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqaDWQuQpg

Just watched Rodney's first video of Dead of Winter. Anyone played it on a convention or something? What are the opinions about it? This was enough to get my friend to want to preorder it, should I stop him for any reason? It reminds me of that other game that I can't remember the name of...

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is the other game Archipelago? It immediately made me think of that (and based on the comments, I'm not alone). That isn't to say it's derivative or redundant, but the similarities are pretty blatant. Some cool ideas like the secret contributions for crises, but some of the things also sort of give hints of Shadows over Camelot where the betrayer will just have to play badly at some points. That might not be the case though, I'm simply speculating. I'd like to hear more about it too, but I really don't care about the Zombie theme at all so I might be a tougher sell than most board game folk.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

LumberingTroll posted:

I just finished assembling the first one of my faction boxes for Heroes of Normandie.

What did you cut that out of? I like to use 1/8" hardboard but the residual smell takes a while to get rid of.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Seemed like the best place to post this, so here. I've put together FFG's Descent 2nd Edition in roll20. All resources (cards, tokens, dice) scanned in, functional custom dice, etc. I'm happy to share a copy of the campaign and the files needed to run it with anybody who would like it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I would love that, my group's split up across the country and that'd be right up our alley.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SilverMike posted:

I would love that, my group's split up across the country and that'd be right up our alley.

Alright well I don't PMs, so I made a dummy campaign that we can exchange emails or whatever in.

https://app.roll20.net/join/419508/BWJSdg

I'll need to zip up the files, and write a little "how to" since some things need to be done a little wonky to get them to work.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

echoMateria posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqaDWQuQpg

Just watched Rodney's first video of Dead of Winter. Anyone played it on a convention or something? What are the opinions about it? This was enough to get my friend to want to preorder it, should I stop him for any reason? It reminds me of that other game that I can't remember the name of...

I played it at BGG.CON and was completely in love with it. I cannot wait to get my hands on my preorder copy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mongol posted:

I played it at BGG.CON and was completely in love with it. I cannot wait to get my hands on my preorder copy.

What did you like about it?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Trip report on Havana: I like it. More interactive than Dominion with a touch of bluffing and gamesmanship. It is pretty dry though, there is no requirement to learn what the different resources are, or what the buildings actually are. It is a well made and well constructed euro, and I got it for a steal, so I am pleased.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Revitalized posted:

Is Coup basically another game from The Resistance?

Coup and Resistance are completely different games. A little while back, Coup was reprinted by Indie Board and Cards who decided to confuse everyone by calling it "The Resistance: Coup".

Resistance and Avalon, however, are almost completely identical.

Coup seats 2-6 players (or more with some fiddling); Resistance/Avalon seat 5-10.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Krypsis posted:

Trying to find a copy of Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition to buy that won't cost ~$70, anybody know of a website that is selling / have a copy they want to sell?

I can hook you up from my shop. Email blackmoonnh at gmail. It'll be $60 (MSRP).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

FrancoFish posted:

Seemed like the best place to post this, so here. I've put together FFG's Descent 2nd Edition in roll20. All resources (cards, tokens, dice) scanned in, functional custom dice, etc. I'm happy to share a copy of the campaign and the files needed to run it with anybody who would like it.

You know Descent 2e is in VASSAL, right?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Countblanc posted:

What did you like about it?

I loved the hidden agendas. I liked how you had to make choices that could help your goals, but hurt the group as a whole, and having to balance it. I like games with hidden traitors, but so many times if you're on the good team, you're left out on the fun of having a hidden agenda. In this game, everyone joins in the fun of that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
A group of four at the local games meetup picked up my copy of Takenoko last night and sat down with it, but it quickly became obvious one of them did not want to play it purely because of the recent SU&SD review. He started going on about how the "one site I trust" gave it a bad review, then argued he didn't want to play a game if none of them knew the rules. I know at least one person in that group has played the game before and I even offered to teach it to them when I heard the discussion but this guy was clearly just looking for an excuse to not play it. I looked over a bit later and saw that they'd ended up dragging two other people in and playing 6 player Citadels instead :psyduck:

I've seen the review and yes, Matt basically eviscerates the game (unfairly imo but whatever), but come on. Three people you're with want to play it and you're not even willing to try an inoffensive-at-worst game once to see if your idols are right about it? You'd rather play Citadels for over an hour instead? Christ.

On the plus side a friend and I taught Galaxy Trucker to three people and they really enjoyed it, especially when one guy's ship split in half in the last round for a fine of 17 credits. I also learned Trains which seems like a fundamentally broken game that I'm glad I didn't purchase it on sale. I'd probably play it again if someone else really wanted to though.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What did you not like about Trains?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

1. Unlimited actions and buys is pretty dumb. The cost structure is basically the same as Dominion so I have no idea why they did away with the buy/action limitations.

2. The waste mechanic seems to heavily discourage building on the board even though that should be the hook of the game. Most hexes will cost you 2+ trash for 2 victory points (lay your own rail + station or lay your rail on an already developed hex). Expanding your network not only requires that you have otherwise useless cards in your deck (rail/station expansion cards), it adds even more and if you build stuff early you're making your deck inefficient early for not much payoff - you can't even stop other players benefiting from it later without having had to clog up their deck for the first half of the game. You can skip your turn to trash any number of waste cards but this turns out to only work well if you draw 3+ waste cards in your hand, so if you're going to do any building at all you want to do a LOT quickly to avoid having a sub-optimal deck that also doesn't reward trashing for a while.

Combine the above and the game seems to pretty heavily favour building a money + draw action deck over actually building a rail network. It feels like your choices are to play like it's a less interesting Dominion or to play sub optimally because what's the point in playing it if you're not using the map for most of the game?

We all did the latter and I won pretty easily in the end mostly because I managed to trash a lot more waste than the other players (part luck of the draw - one guy got several hands with multiple waste and his draw 3 card whereas I regularly got hands of 4 waste + normal train or draw 3 + useful cards), and bought the most efficient VP cards. I grabbed 10+ points in the last round by adding rails to stations other players had built, generating a ton of waste when it didn't matter.

edit: to expand a bit more on why it seems "fundamentally" broken to me - no buy/action limit means an efficient deck can do basically whatever the gently caress it wants until waste from actually scoring points starts to slow it down. On the other hand actually playing the game the way the theme suggests makes your deck inefficient pretty much by default and doesn't give you much of a benefit. I've looked at ideas people have for rebalancing the game and they're generally pretty drastic.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 3, 2014

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Can someone explain why Citadels sucks? I played it for the first time the other day and it seemed passable and inoffensive enough, though not really what I'd call compelling.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

CaptCommy posted:

Can someone explain why Citadels sucks? I played it for the first time the other day and it seemed passable and inoffensive enough, though not really what I'd call compelling.

It takes a really really long time. The drafting takes a long time and the actual play of calling out the numbers takes a long time.

The gameplay is pretty flimsy and shallow (in my opinion) for how long it takes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

In terms of actual design the only thing I can say is really "bad" about it is that the city building feels super pasted on. It's an old game and I can forgive it that, even if I think it's a clunky victory mechanism.

For me the main problem with Citadels is player-based. If you have 3-4 players who know what they're doing it's a nice cutthroat role selection game. It doesn't overstay its welcome and there's a reasonable amount of depth to role calling because the consequences are high. Somehow it keeps getting recommended and played as a light/casual card game for a wide range of player numbers, especially 5+ players, and it really starts to break down when you do that. Not only does the game take too long (with a lot of that bloat being boring "I draw two gold and play a building that does nothing" time) but the role selection loses a lot of its balance when you have people picking assassin/thief targets with bad or no reasoning. The third time someone gets assassinated with no logic behind it because their buddy was told this was a nice casual game and isn't actually thinking about anything, they're not going to be enjoying it unless they're incredibly fond of "gently caress you" mechanics. The mind games and bluffing of whether to choose the 'best' role for yourself or pass it further down because someone might be expecting you to take it goes out the window. This problem gets worse with more players too as more roles need to be picked every round, so Assassinations start happening just because.

Basically it's a good game in the heavily crowded 3-4 player bracket, and a bad game in the 5+ player bracket which is when it's most likely to be recommended/played (due to lack of other options). I think it should basically have been obsoleted by Coup/Resistance etc. or even by Faidutti's later games by now but people still play it :confused:.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 3, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Basically it's a good game in the heavily crowded 3-4 player bracket, and a bad game in the 5+ player bracket which is when it's most likely to be recommended/played (due to lack of other options). I think it should basically have been obsoleted by Coup/Resistance etc. or even by Faidutti's later games by now but people still play it :confused:.

I will take your word on that, as I've never played it with fewer than 5 or 6.

I think the main reason it hasn't been obsoleted by Coup yet is due to Coup's availability? Also, people get nostalgic for the weirdest things.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Citadels is one of those games that I feel had it's spot but has been since surpassed by better/tighter mechanics.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I think the main reason it hasn't been obsoleted by Coup yet is due to Coup's availability? Also, people get nostalgic for the weirdest things.
Yeah, true. To me it's in the Catan box - I can see why it became really popular, I'm sure lots of people are happy playing it forever, I just hope they don't make me join in.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zombie #246 posted:

Citadels is one of those games that I feel had it's spot but has been since surpassed by better/tighter mechanics.

Bubble-T posted:

Yeah, true. To me it's in the Catan box - I can see why it became really popular, I'm sure lots of people are happy playing it forever, I just hope they don't make me join in.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I know people who still love playing Catan and Citadels (I was taught by one of them) and I am more than happy to let them play those games without me making GBS threads up their games by being "that guy."

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

Bubble-T posted:

Haven't played Coup, but I think Citadels definitely fills a different niche than resistance. Resistance is much more group dependent, I think, and can completely fall flat whereas Citadels is just a bit bland at worst. And the role-picking mechanic is far more interesting than pretty much anything in Catan.

If you're running into issues with game length or frustration, I'd suggest using a bunch of the alternate role cards that come with the game now. The Witch instead of the Assassin and the Diplomat instead of the Warlord help the game out a ton, I think. The Mercenary ensures that players' building counts never go down (so the game can't drag on too long), and the Witch reduces the downside of being targeted, while also giving a real upside to picking it.

Edit: While the Thief does require that people are a bit aggressive, I think it plays a pretty necessary role in the game to stop people from stockpiling money. And there's also an upside so I haven't seen people as averse to take it as with the Assassin.

Recaffeinated fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 3, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Bubble-T posted:

A group of four at the local games meetup picked up my copy of Takenoko last night and sat down with it, but it quickly became obvious one of them did not want to play it purely because of the recent SU&SD review. He started going on about how the "one site I trust" gave it a bad review, then argued he didn't want to play a game if none of them knew the rules. I know at least one person in that group has played the game before and I even offered to teach it to them when I heard the discussion but this guy was clearly just looking for an excuse to not play it. I looked over a bit later and saw that they'd ended up dragging two other people in and playing 6 player Citadels instead :psyduck:

This has happened to me before. I brought Space Alert and I couldn't loving get one guy to play because he apparantly hates Vlaada games.

But he sure stayed for the rules explanation and put his 2 cents in when he thought something was bad.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I used to really like Citadels, but I've found other games with role selection I like a lot more by now, and I never ever liked the assassin or thief - I mean, if you don't use them at all then people can just freely pick the optimal choice without worrying, but the assassin is pure gently caress you and the thief is a total waste if you guess wrong, so I never wanted to actually use either.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Citadels is best with 3 players IMO. The double draft gives you more information about selections and allows for more immediate and strategic combos.
I may be biased though, it was my group's first real game besides Catan. We all played at the same level at the same time and developed strategies together. I should emphasize I played it with about the same group every time.
We keep it fresh by shuffling all the purple buildings into the deck (instead of a select few), which makes city building way more interesting. We also randomly choose which replacement characters to use.
We don't play it as often anymore, but when I bring it out it works.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

1. Unlimited actions and buys is pretty dumb. The cost structure is basically the same as Dominion so I have no idea why they did away with the buy/action limitations.

2. The waste mechanic seems to heavily discourage building on the board even though that should be the hook of the game. Most hexes will cost you 2+ trash for 2 victory points (lay your own rail + station or lay your rail on an already developed hex). Expanding your network not only requires that you have otherwise useless cards in your deck (rail/station expansion cards), it adds even more and if you build stuff early you're making your deck inefficient early for not much payoff - you can't even stop other players benefiting from it later without having had to clog up their deck for the first half of the game. You can skip your turn to trash any number of waste cards but this turns out to only work well if you draw 3+ waste cards in your hand, so if you're going to do any building at all you want to do a LOT quickly to avoid having a sub-optimal deck that also doesn't reward trashing for a while.

Combine the above and the game seems to pretty heavily favour building a money + draw action deck over actually building a rail network. It feels like your choices are to play like it's a less interesting Dominion or to play sub optimally because what's the point in playing it if you're not using the map for most of the game?

We all did the latter and I won pretty easily in the end mostly because I managed to trash a lot more waste than the other players (part luck of the draw - one guy got several hands with multiple waste and his draw 3 card whereas I regularly got hands of 4 waste + normal train or draw 3 + useful cards), and bought the most efficient VP cards. I grabbed 10+ points in the last round by adding rails to stations other players had built, generating a ton of waste when it didn't matter.

edit: to expand a bit more on why it seems "fundamentally" broken to me - no buy/action limit means an efficient deck can do basically whatever the gently caress it wants until waste from actually scoring points starts to slow it down. On the other hand actually playing the game the way the theme suggests makes your deck inefficient pretty much by default and doesn't give you much of a benefit. I've looked at ideas people have for rebalancing the game and they're generally pretty drastic.

I've played Trains thrice, and Dominion a handful of times over the years, so I'm no expert. I disagree that trash discourages building on the board, since buying buildings also adds one trash and effectively another because during the game, the building is just as useless. I get that you would tend to buy them towards the endgame unlike the rails and stations which you buy along the way, thus causing less bloat in your deck. A big part of the game is dealing with the waste you get, yes, but various cards help with exactly that. My second game included the Freight Train, which lets you remove thrash from your hand for one money-thingie per card, which meant that trash was pretty easily removed, and the third game used the Dump Site (I think) to prevent other cards from generating trash. The feel of those two games were very different, but we all managed to get rid of waste efficiently enough.
The board also lets you better control the timing of the game. My two last games ended with me being out of rails, and the other players not having gotten to buying buildings yet. Combined with agressive station building and invading the other players' cities, that gave me a pretty certain victory even though I didn't buy a single building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Basically it's a good game in the heavily crowded 3-4 player bracket, and a bad game in the 5+ player bracket which is when it's most likely to be recommended/played (due to lack of other options).

This is exactly the reason 7 Wonders is a bad game. Best with fewer players, when there are way better games to play, more and more random as you increase the player count and are thus more likely to play.

• Locked thread