Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I looked at my social blade page and decided it wasn't worth it for the amount I could get - between 4 and 32 pounds a month. If I end up unemployed for a bit I'll probably switch it on because evrey little helps as they say in Tescoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Dr. Buttass posted:

This is a sound move by Nintendo but I think you're probably wrong in thinking that Microsoft and Sony are going to follow suit. They're not exactly known for their stellar public relations at the best of times and the more you involve money in the proceedings the worse they get. If they try to do anything even remotely like this they're like 99.9% certain to demand all the beans. Every last one. Even the tiny little guys too small to care about must bow or be blasted into submission.

Honestly, if everyone went this route, then I'd expect to see LP folks change gears and switch to something akin to the RiffTrax model. You want the user added content in addition to the gameplay video? Well that gets a separate revenue stream, be it ad driven or sub driven. Personally, when Nintendo first started playing that game, I really wish the public response would have been to take their material down and replace it without the audio. Because really, how many hits would Freelance Astronauts playing Super Mario Brothers for Wii have gotten without the Freelance Astronauts audio?

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

BMS posted:

Apparently, Nintendo is (attempting) to implement a "tax", essentially, on YouTube LP's featuring Nintendo content. Basically allowing LPers to keep making a little bit of revenue off the ads, while Nintendo gets a chunk as well. Also, according to the article, that's only for LPers that "sign up" for this program.

I read about this awhile ago now and thought it was a great idea, I remember the buzz about the "floodgate" being opened on ID claims awhile ago and thought that myself. "I bet if everyone just shared the money it'd be fine" so I'm behind the idea 100%, With that said however I've already seen people getting pissed off about it since 1. they don't do any research and 2. "Oh no I'm not getting all the money? gently caress them then" which is an ideal that's always bothered me because.. how much money do these idiots really deserve for the.. in the case of most popular YouTubers out there - Hour or so max editing they do which 90% of the time is just syncing their commentary or outsourcing and have some other sap edit it for them. I adore how so many of these people think they are so ENTITLED to this e-money that they would kick and scream just because they aren't squeezing every cent out of their lovely videos.

Now don't get me wrong, I am partnered and make a small handful that I usually use for spending on new games I want to play or helping towards my bills but just because I use the money I don't 100% think I deserve it and should EXPECT the companies to just "leave me alone" to upload their entire game and monetize it. It's silly to even rely on such an unstable platform like YouTube for your main source of income. The only times I don't think much of it is when the people behind them do more than just "Let's Plays" and put a decent amount of effort into their crap like review based websites/people or whatever who have some professionalism behind them. But almost all of the time it's some gently caress who spends an hour on their videos, screams at things like a child and makes incredibly stupid jokes, don't even talk about the game they are playing or do anything constructive at all who always seem to think they "deserve" money for "advertising" the game.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BMS posted:

Apparently, Nintendo is (attempting) to implement a "tax", essentially, on YouTube LP's featuring Nintendo content. Basically allowing LPers to keep making a little bit of revenue off the ads, while Nintendo gets a chunk as well.

At first I was like, "And people are actually having a problem with this?"

And then I was all like, "Oh, right, internet."

While the ratios may or may not be fair--I don't know what the numbers are--this certainly seems like a perfectly acceptable solution to the money question. Everyone gets something and you don't have to worry about your stuff being taken down. I actually wouldn't mind seeing all the publishers going to a model like this.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even if Nintendo was getting 1% of the money I'm sure someone would post a whiny vlog about it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

All of Achievement Hunter's GTA V Heist videos have been pretty great but I think this might be the best yet. Takes a bit for the actual heist to start but it's all pretty well worth it in the end. I especially enjoyed Gavin's wet fart of a death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiDUjIbyV_Y

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 3, 2014

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I have been binging their Minecraft videos. Seriously, they got the best Minecraft videos and they might even be one of the best ongoing non-SA LPs.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A shame heists are never going to be added to the online at this point,even if they actually were going to in the first place.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Liar Lyre posted:

I have been binging their Minecraft videos. Seriously, they got the best Minecraft videos and they might even be one of the best ongoing non-SA LPs.

I'm sure a lot of people dismissed this because minecraft, but seriously, they manage to make it really entertaining. Instead of just wandering around or building poo poo, their videos are all these cool little esports competitions with stuff they've made in the game.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey cool, DSP is moving to Washington state, and he needs YOUR help!

Once again, the conversation swings back round to DSP...he's apparently so massive this topic is somehow in orbit or some poo poo.

Regardless, rumor has it, his new house is approx. $300K, and a gated community. Truth in this? Who knows. Even if it's only a $50K house, he's still hamming it up for the donations as usual.

Also, we should feel bad, because he lost 20 PAID TWITCH SUBSCRIBERS when he went on vacation with his girlfriend or some other stupid poo poo like that. Cool.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BMS posted:

we should feel bad

I feel bad...for Washington state.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Maybe if he were less of a useless twat he wouldn't have trouble getting more subscriptions / ad revenue. Just a thought.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Roar posted:

Maybe if he were less of a useless twat he wouldn't have trouble getting more subscriptions / ad revenue. Just a thought.

But that would require him admitting doing something wrong and actively doing something to fix it. And these are not going to happen, basic DSP 101.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
He's moving there because he knows that the game is up and he wants his eventual job in McDonalds to actually pay a decent wage.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
"I will never [force people to pay money to view my content in HD] unless I'm forced into it by Twitch or by YouTube." - DarkSydePhil, 22 May, 2014

I have a hunch about this one.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dknAQmR6s

"YOUTUBE: THE FINAL FRONTIER ... to boldly go where plenty have gone before [others having gone with exponentially better quality, I might add]."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Edit: Durr ignore me I'm a moron :v:

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 3, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't know... They seem to fit each other.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dammit people I try to show off good stuff and we're right back to friggin DSP again :mad:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

TaurusOxford posted:

I feel bad that I have Phil hanging out one state over my head.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Dammit people I try to show off good stuff and we're right back to friggin DSP again :mad:

To be fair, it seems much easier to find negatives in LP instead of positives!

Anyway, I think the Nintendo thing, even if people sign up for it, isn't gonna work out too well. Big-name YouTubers aren't gonna bother, so they'll instead attract people like this.

I'm also worried about Nintendo trying to take partial control over the channels that sign up. Nintendo-only content, family friendly...it will be interesting to see how it goes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That does make me wonder how justified and legally they would be in the right for doing that though. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want someone popular talking about how much he thinks Princess Peach is a oval office and how much he hates her, so would they be in the right taking that down for brand protection?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RSCNyx posted:

To be fair, it seems much easier to find negatives in LP instead of positives!

Anyway, I think the Nintendo thing, even if people sign up for it, isn't gonna work out too well. Big-name YouTubers aren't gonna bother, so they'll instead attract people like this.

I'm also worried about Nintendo trying to take partial control over the channels that sign up. Nintendo-only content, family friendly...it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Given that you have to sign up I'd imagine they're not going to just rubber-stamp everyone that applies, sort of how Two Best Friends was (were?) automatically locked out of ever receiving Microsoft's offer for money to do Xbox One related videos because of their well-known vitriol for the Kinect. Hilariously enough this did not stop people on the Internet for thinking they were sellouts because of their Fighter Within video on Machinima that had a (Machinima-placed I imagine) ad for Kinect right before it; even though their video of the game itself was a complete tear-down of the Kinect and its capabilities (or lack thereof, as the case may be).

I imagine Nintendo would at least try to screen their applicants for quality and such but then again depending on application rates that might not be possible. Whether this idea works or not is entirely on Nintendo's ability to make sure the brand is being well-represented by the people they choose to do this revenue-sharing program with.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

bobjr posted:

That does make me wonder how justified and legally they would be in the right for doing that though. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want someone popular talking about how much he thinks Princess Peach is a oval office and how much he hates her, so would they be in the right taking that down for brand protection?

It's just a theory, since Nintendo hasn't released any actual information on it just yet (to my knowledge), but I think it's very possible. If anyone is planning on trying this out, be sure to read the fine print on whatever you're signing up for. I would think it's pretty easy for Nintendo to say, "You're misusing our content", and then just slam the video with a Content ID.

Angry_Ed posted:

I imagine Nintendo would at least try to screen their applicants for quality and such but then again depending on application rates that might not be possible. Whether this idea works or not is entirely on Nintendo's ability to make sure the brand is being well-represented by the people they choose to do this revenue-sharing program with.

That's possible! I don't know what they would judge it on, though. Would it be subs, views, what kind of videos you do?

I know there would be a lot of people interested in this, because even though the big LPers of YouTube won't touch Nintendo's stuff, a lot of people who aren't doing it for money at the time will. There's easily hundreds of Mario LP videos uploaded to YouTube on a daily basis. Totally good point, and I do wonder how they'll sort that out.

Personally, I think BillyMC would of been a perfect fit. Maybe that will bring him back from retirement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want BillyMC to host the next Nintendo Direct with Lime Popsicle.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He'd be a better host than Iwata, that's for sure.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

bobjr posted:

I feel the same way about Peach as much as I do any female fictional video game character of royal blood. High maintenance and an insatiable hunger for cake.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I want BillyMC to host the next Nintendo Direct with Lime Popsicle.

I love how this comment came out of nowhere in a serious discussion

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samiz posted:

I love how this comment came out of nowhere in a serious discussion
It's not out of nowhere. It's what we're all thinking. That man is the voice of the people.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is the issue of credibility. LP as a promotional tool only really works if the LPer has credibility and the audience believes that if they say they like the game that they're being sincere. If Nintendo lay down ground rules about not being able to badmouth certain things, then over time, any credibility will be lost and the LPs will basically be longer hype trailers, which Nintendo could make themselves for probably much less money.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

That man is the voice of the people.

Which reminds me that I learned that PPD is going to be a speaker on Swedish radio as part of their annual summer speaker thing. :suicide:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh goodness, I'm watching DSP's stream for some strange reason, Street Fighter of some sort? He's exactly as described at fighting games. Also the same guy keeps challenging him and he's getting pissed off. :allears:

Also holy poo poo the chat is awful. Well, mainly. Sometimes he gets called a whiny manchild and he whines about that and bans people.

e: ahahaha, just noticed his stream rules.

e2: does he not look at any of this "fan" art? He's gone for a break or something and there's a little slideshow thingy, and a lot of them are just plain old taking the piss.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 4, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cooked Auto posted:

Which reminds me that I learned that PPD is going to be a speaker on Swedish radio as part of their annual summer speaker thing. :suicide:

A friend of mine told me this earlier today, I still have no idea what that thing is but it really seems like a last ditch effort for relevance to me. Though to be fair, he's pretty much the most famous Swedish person in recent history and that's sad.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

A friend of mine told me this earlier today, I still have no idea what that thing is but it really seems like a last ditch effort for relevance to me. Though to be fair, he's pretty much the most famous Swedish person in recent history and that's sad.

Well, that depends on what exactly you mean by most famous; Stellan Skarsgård has been in a ton of big movies lately, and Alexander's been pretty big on True Blood I thought.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

Those poor Swedish radio listeners.

He's going to scream and their cars will just all explode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Idran posted:

Well, that depends on what exactly you mean by most famous; Stellan Skarsgård has been in a ton of big movies lately, and Alexander's been pretty big on True Blood I thought.

True and I also overlooked Avicii.

I started thinking about Swedish LPers and My mind went to Tejbz who was pretty big a few years ago when Machinima was something people looked up to. What do you guys think of those Machinima Respawn type gameplay commentators? I used to watch them for a little while but at one point everything became way too tryhard.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I've seen a few who shill for various third party controllers. I never bought into it because I just buy the official controllers anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Slowbeef finished his Dark Souls LP, in the best way possible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

McDragon posted:

Well, Slowbeef finished his Dark Souls LP, in the best way possible.

I don't think the fandom is as bad as he says it is, but I didn't play Dark Souls with youtube nagging at me for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"
Let me propose a formula for you all.

Minecraft videos + lackluster video game references + no actual gameplay, only "comedy skits" + no commentary at ALL, only subtitle dialogue if necessary + Yakety Sax, lots of Yakety Sax, put it in every video don't you dare skimp out on the Yakety loving Sax + fart jokes in every video, yes, EVERY video = ???

Well, I have come bearing the answer. If you took all of that, followed it word for word, and put it into practice, you will come to see that your channel will be incredibly successful, with 800k+ subscribers.

I am praying for an early death because I don't want to be around this awful earth when the current preteen to teenage generation enters the working class. It will be absolutely catastrophic.

The only useful information I have gleaned from this channel is that, yes, there is definitive evidence that one can make more than enough money to sustain an adequate living through Youtube, via fart jokes. :vince:

• Locked thread