Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Nordick posted:

You're in luck, such bands seem to be popping up like mushrooms after rain nowadays. Here's a few:

Graveyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9H8rzGK4jE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvKy56jIf_Y

Definitely seconding the Graveyard recommendation; they are really good. As Nordick said there are a slew of retro rock bands out there so here's a couple of my favourites.

'Firewood' by Witchcraft is very 70's and just great all round. Their latest album 'Legend' from 2012 had a harder sound but is often regarded as their best so far.

'Inner Sanctum' by The Cosmic Dead is a fantastic stoner/psychedelic rock album if you're a fan of expansive long songs full of thick bass lines, squelching lead guitar and reverberating keyboards.

Uncle Acid and the Deadheads are a popular retro band: their first album 'Blood Lust' was kind of lo-fi occult sounding doom metal/rock stuff with psych keyboards slathered on thick but their second album 'Mind Control' had the edges smoothed off and was a little more coherent. Both are fantastic and should scratch your itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
gently caress Buttons and Mogwai and Godspeed and poo poo like that is basically all I'm listening to at the moment. What's some good stuff in that vein, something that isn't afraid to settle into a groove and let a build-up last however long it needs to

E: Bonus points if the drums are anywhere near as good as they were on Street Horrrsing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Instant Grat posted:

gently caress Buttons and Mogwai and Godspeed and poo poo like that is basically all I'm listening to at the moment. What's some good stuff in that vein, something that isn't afraid to settle into a groove and let a build-up last however long it needs to

E: Bonus points if the drums are anywhere near as good as they were on Street Horrrsing.

Spacemen 3, Stereolab, Can, Neu!, American Analog Set (first two albums), Boredoms (not the first few albums, though), My Bloody Valentine, Explosions in the Sky, Slint, Dirty 3, Giardini di Miro, Sigur Ros. maaaaayyyybe Don Caballero, Gastr del Sol, Tortoise, Shipping News, Hood, Unwound

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

Well funkybottoms did a good job there but I'd add Dan Deacon, Grails, Errors, 65daysofstatic

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

funkybottoms posted:

Spacemen 3, Stereolab, Can, Neu!, American Analog Set (first two albums), Boredoms (not the first few albums, though), My Bloody Valentine, Explosions in the Sky, Slint, Dirty 3, Giardini di Miro, Sigur Ros. maaaaayyyybe Don Caballero, Gastr del Sol, Tortoise, Shipping News, Hood, Unwound

Hooplah posted:

Well funkybottoms did a good job there but I'd add Dan Deacon, Grails, Errors, 65daysofstatic

Dan Deacon I already know and love (Bromst is wonderful, USA is perfect), but most of the others are new to me. Thanks a bunch you two :)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Instant Grat posted:

Dan Deacon I already know and love (Bromst is wonderful, USA is perfect), but most of the others are new to me. Thanks a bunch you two :)

Going to suggest Jakob because you like buildups.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They missed Mono.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqUKc7pc40

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Turns out, I really like instrumental metal. I absolutely love Scale The Summit and Animals As Leaders, anyone got any more suggestions?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for some feel good chill stuff in the same vein as washed out - feel it all around you.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Turns out, I really like instrumental metal. I absolutely love Scale The Summit and Animals As Leaders, anyone got any more suggestions?

Aghora
Canvas Solaris
Exivious
Spastic Ink

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Gamma Nerd posted:

Aghora
Canvas Solaris
Exivious
Spastic Ink

Thanks, much appreciated!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You might also like Blotted Science and Gordian Knot.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Henchman of Santa posted:

You might also like Blotted Science and Gordian Knot.

I have Blotted Science already, but I'll check out the other band!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

A little more on the mathcore side, but Lye By Mistake's second album Fea Jur is instrumental and full of the noodling. Might be worth a look.

EDIT: Helps to spell their name right

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 20, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

DroneRiff posted:

A little more on the mathcore side, but Lye Be Mistake's second album Fea Jur is instrumental and full of the noodling. Might be worth a look.

I can do mathcore, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Does anyone know of some chilled out, spacey hip hop in the vein of Nacho Picasso and Blue Sky Black Death?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vooze posted:

Does anyone know of some chilled out, spacey hip hop in the vein of Nacho Picasso and Blue Sky Black Death?

Chester Watson "Tin Wooki"
Lucki Eck$ "Alternative Trap"
Captain Murphy "Duality"
Underachievers "Indigoism"
Issue & Big War "Aura"
Pyramid Vttra's stuff
Jet Age Of Tomorrow's stuff (although they can tend more toward ambient/downtempoish stuff)
Spart Master Tape is a bit rougher, but similar

That should be a decent start.

kenny powers
Feb 19, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm looking for some music that remixes classic rock songs.

Something like The Beatles/Wu Tang mash up, but more looking for classic rock mixed with electronic. Had the idea in my head of some nice Steely Dan remixes if they exist.

Any suggestions??

marjorie
May 4, 2014

E: Nevermind, found something!

marjorie fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 19, 2014

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Instant Grat posted:

Definitely check out Ben Frost's work. Especially his new album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJ2X1ZRVmA

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for lo-fi folk, stuff that sounds so stripped down it starts sounding less like country and more like garage punk or black metal (production-wise; not really interested in goth per se). Some stuff that nails what I'm looking for is Shakey Graves, Those Poor Bastards, Tomahawk, and Hank III.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for lo-fi folk, stuff that sounds so stripped down it starts sounding less like country and more like garage punk or black metal (production-wise; not really interested in goth per se). Some stuff that nails what I'm looking for is Shakey Graves, Those Poor Bastards, Tomahawk, and Hank III.

The late Jason Molina (Songs: Ohia) has some stuff that fits this bill really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmVyrEITX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxoWkvmpbq4
(From The Ghost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCQqAPTSGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65pWVah2z8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmU4zcA0i0
(From Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go)

Those are probably his most 'lo-fi' albums, but a lot of the early-mid Songs: Ohia records have a very haunting vibe about them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sad Mammal posted:

You should check out King Buzzo's (of the Melvins) new solo album, This Machine Kills Artists. It's streaming here http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/king_buzzo-this_machine_kills_artists_album_stream

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Kind of a random request, but can anybody recommend some indie pop/rock songs that are about Pittsburgh, or at least mention Pittsburgh? So far I'm only finding Pittsburgh bands with songs about unrelated topics. I'd prefer female vocalists, assuming this even exists.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

The Duke of Avon posted:

Kind of a random request, but can anybody recommend some indie pop/rock songs that are about Pittsburgh, or at least mention Pittsburgh? So far I'm only finding Pittsburgh bands with songs about unrelated topics. I'd prefer female vocalists, assuming this even exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN7qbKP455k

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I know pretty much nothing about hip hop made in the last 10 years (other than the obvious big names) but I randomly picked up A$AP Ferg's "Trap Lord" LP and Run The Jewels S/T. I know these aren't really that similar but any rec's for stuff like this would rule. I've heard El-P's last and thought it was "meh" but I really like Killer Mike if that helps. Also please don't recommend Death Grips.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The precursor to Run the Jewels was a Killer Mike solo album produced by El-P (who does one guest verse) called R.A.P. Music. It's spectacular.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Recommend me some seamless albums where there are tracks but it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins. Any genre will do.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's some good horror-themed music? Ghoulish Halloween stuff. The campier the better, basically.

See:

- Misfits
- The Cramps
- Alice Cooper
- Gravediggaz
- Mercyful Fate, I guess

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blast Fantasto posted:

What's some good horror-themed music? Ghoulish Halloween stuff. The campier the better, basically.
Does it matter if it's also western themed? Because Ghoultown loving own. Incidentally, my avatar is a crop from a shot in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yywGI1H_oyM

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Duke of Avon posted:

6 Days on the Road mentions it :clint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8pOXbS8HY

Sorry, that's all I've got, not many people sing about us directly :(

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sharzak posted:

Recommend me some seamless albums where there are tracks but it's hard to tell where one ends and another begins. Any genre will do.

Will mention this, since I was listening to it today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWyye9OneUM

Probably most suggestions will be electronic music, since it's more common in that genre to have gapless tracks.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

kirkjames posted:

I know pretty much nothing about hip hop made in the last 10 years (other than the obvious big names) but I randomly picked up A$AP Ferg's "Trap Lord" LP and Run The Jewels S/T. I know these aren't really that similar but any rec's for stuff like this would rule. I've heard El-P's last and thought it was "meh" but I really like Killer Mike if that helps. Also please don't recommend Death Grips.

maybe try out mr muthafuckin exquire, deniro farrar, denzel curry, idk if hes really that similar to those guys but lil ugly mane ill rec to anyone given the chance

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sharzak posted:

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Grey

Between the Buried and Me (any of their releases)

Meshuggah - Catch 33

Kalisia - Cybion

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Between the Buried and Me (any of their releases)
That's really more of a Colors and onward kind of thing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sharzak posted:

Could you be a bit more specific? Are you looking simply for seamless albums, or it kind of sounds like you want something where the transition itself is so gradual that there's no definitive place where one ends and the next begins? Cause things like Dark Side of the Moon would qualify for the former but while there's background sounds that kind of blend it all together, there's a definite place one could say, for example, Money starts (where you first hear the cash register sound, for instance)
Anyway, in the former category you can find:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

maybe Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, not sure if it counts

In the latter category are every trance mix album ever made (I can recommend Sasha + Digweed's oeuvre, or early Paul Oakenfold (Tranceport, Goa Mix)). For other genres, Kid Koala's live albums would definitely qualify, Canadian Public Radio had a set of his called Live at CBC at one point that would be a perfect example. It was free to download but I can't find it on their site now, unfortunately ... I have a copy but no idea if it's kosher to redistribute. Any through-composed opera would fit -- Richard Wagner being the quintessential example, but also Britten, Berg, Debussy, Philip Glass (Satyagraha is amazing)
The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms almost counts, there are a few track breaks.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's really more of a Colors and onward kind of thing.

Yeah, point taken. I haven't listened to Alaska or earlier, though. Probably should just have said Colors, TGM, and both Parallax albums

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I'm basically a person who lives under a rock when it comes to music. Every year or so I get the itching that "holy poo poo my ipod playlist is outdated and the same poo poo" so I go seek out what new music has come out but it's always kind of a pain. I always try to catch nuggets like Chromatics (which I found on SA) and afraid to miss something like that.

Last stuff I've got was Artpop, Chrvches, Covenant, new Cut Copy, new Gary Numan, and new Pet Shop Boys. Just for reference, I enjoy electropop like Cut Copy, Empires of the Sun, Ladyhawke, etc as well as stuff like Depeche Mode, Chromatics.

So does anyone have any recommended new albums that have come out in the past 6 months or so for similar sort of bands?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Can anyone recommend me something like the tracks the alchemist produced for the new Trash Talk album?

http://youtu.be/T3G1S3xs2qQ?t=24m10s
http://youtu.be/nRrxb5xicLs

I really like the kick/bass and snares as well as whatever is going on with the guitar.

I'll take it in any flavor rock rap instrumental whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Blast Fantasto posted:

See:

- Misfits
- The Cramps
- Alice Cooper
- Gravediggaz
- Mercyful Fate, I guess

I'm a little late to this, but off the top of my head:

Roky Erickson - "The Evil One" LP (you probably already know this, but he was the frontman for the legendary 13th Floor Elevators).
Whodini - "The Haunted House of Rock"
Italian horror soundtracks by the band Goblin (e.g., "Suspiria")
A compilation called: "THE ULTIMATE 50's AND 60's ROCKIN' HORROR DISC"
The compilations "Monster Bop" and "Horror Hop"
A song called "Frankie Teardrop" by Suicide (not explicitly Halloween music, but a very scary song).
A song called "Hamburger Lady" by Throbbing Gristle (see above)