Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Opopanax posted:

I refuse to watch it because I loved it so much as a kid

The first season is enjoyable, the rest is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

13Pandora13 posted:

Korean action/suspense flick called Committed on Netflix. It's about a North Korean spy, it's so loving good. Watch it right now.

I'm trying to but it's not showing up for me, maybe it's not available in the US?

edit: I think you mean Commitment.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Opopanax posted:

I refuse to watch it because I loved it so much as a kid

Dude who played Lucas offed himself in 2003.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

pizza cat posted:

Can we request TV recommendations? My husband and I like to watch TV after work. However, he works a very emotionally draining job, and most of the good stuff out there today is really grimdark. Anyone have any recommendations for light-hearted or funny shows available to stream? We recently marathoned through Psych and loved it. Already seen 30 Rock and the like.

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Rescue Me, although it can be heavy at times
Wonder Years - I'm glad I got to watch this series when it originally aired

Just browsing Netflix through the kindle, you might like:
MacGyver
Sliders
House
Columbo
Coupling (British version)

Coffee Wolf has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Jun 4, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Dude who played Lucas offed himself in 2003.

I believe you mean dude who played Mozenrath :colbert:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I watched Short Term 12 the other day, it was pretty good. Brie Larson was great, and the child actors are all surprisingly naturalistic.

Needed more Rosa from Brooklyn Nine-Nine though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So season 3 of Sherlock is now available, too bad the entire show is just a lame rip off of House.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Croatoan posted:

So season 3 of Sherlock is now available, too bad the entire show is just a lame rip off of House.

Well House *IS* a rip off of Sherlock Holmes...House/Homes..

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Medullah posted:

Whoosh

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Medullah posted:

Okay fine but you've got to admit that Sherlock is a total rip-off of Elementary. They just changed the hot chick into a lame guy.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

England has a long history of copying the US. England was like, "we wanna make our own country on an island in Europe and we wanna copy your language" and the US was all like, "fine go, we don't want you anymore."

Reference: Liberty University's The History of The Glorious Nation of The United States of Merica

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Meatwave posted:

Okay fine but you've got to admit that Sherlock is a total rip-off of Elementary. They just changed the hot chick into a lame guy.

Uh, not sure if this is a joke, but both of those shows are based on The Great Mouse Detective.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

wafflesnsegways posted:

Uh, not sure if this is a joke, but both of those shows are based on The Great Mouse Detective.

Speaking of which, I just rewatched this movie on Netflix! It's actually extraordinarily dark for a children's movie, I used to watch it all the time when I was young. It has a mouse employing a cat to devour minions he doesn't like, a burlesque show, and weird jittery puppets. Really everything you need.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is on Netflix. It's an older Terry Gilliam movie so it's loaded with practical special effects. It also has Uma Thurman reenacting The Birth of Venus.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

trapped mouse posted:

Speaking of which, I just rewatched this movie on Netflix! It's actually extraordinarily dark for a children's movie, I used to watch it all the time when I was young. It has a mouse employing a cat to devour minions he doesn't like, a burlesque show, and weird jittery puppets. Really everything you need.
Also songs that will get stuck in your head for 20 years. Here, let me help.

To RATIGAN!
To RATIGAN!
The best of his kind!
To RATIGAN!
To RATIGAN!
The world's greatest criminal mind!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Oh, Ratigan!
Oh, Ratigan!
You're tops and that's that.
To Ratigan!
To Ratigan!
To Ratigan, the world's greatest mouse!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
From the brrrain that brrought you the Big Ben caper.
The head that made headlines in every newspaper!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Danger Mouse would gently caress him up.

Also I need never saw House but I thought he was just doogie howeser MD with a dope habit. Does he have sick martial arts skills and a sidekick who's a war vet? That would make what sounded like a dumb medical procedural kind of interesting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Danger Mouse would gently caress him up.

Also I need never saw House but I thought he was just doogie howeser MD with a dope habit. Does he have sick martial arts skills and a sidekick who's a war vet? That would make what sounded like a dumb medical procedural kind of interesting.

It's literally Sherlock Holmes but the mysteries are unsolvable by the layperson.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also a lot of syphillis

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

And sarcoidosis.

Also I'm glad it's finally here but it's kind of annoying that Netflix delayed Orange is the New Black until midnight PST.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

scary ghost dog posted:

It's literally Sherlock Holmes but the mysteries are unsolvable by the layperson.

That's true of most Sherlock Holmes stories too tbh. They were written before the rules of "fair" mysteries were established, so often the case hinges on Holmes noticing a special type of cigarette that can only be bought from one shop or some similar clue that Watson doesn't spot and the reader can't possibly know.

Still, I'd describe it as CSI. The framework of the show is much closer to a police procedural than a detective novel.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Lurkman posted:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is on Netflix. It's an older Terry Gilliam movie so it's loaded with practical special effects. It also has Uma Thurman reenacting The Birth of Venus.

When I added this to my queue, it recommended "Gor" to me. :negative:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm trying to but it's not showing up for me, maybe it's not available in the US?

edit: I think you mean Commitment.

You are correct.

Today I watched Violet & Daisy, which I also thought was good for every different reasons. Saoirse Ronan (lead in Hanna) is very good and it and James Gandolfini got me a little choked up. Also assassins dressed as nuns.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
This release took me a bit off guard.

Trailer Park Boys Live In F**kin' Dublin

quote:

The boys head to Ireland after winning a contest to see Rush but are arrested by immigration and must perform a community service puppet show.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reign Of Pain posted:

This release took me a bit off guard.

Trailer Park Boys Live In F**kin' Dublin

On the one hand I love Trailer Parks Boys, on the other hand that was the weirdest loving thing to do with the series that I've seen. I wasn't expecting an actual live show wrapped up in a community service pretext.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I just finished watching Escape from Tomorrow and it was one of the strangest movies I've seen in a while. I'm not really sure if I liked it or not, but it's definitely something different, and the fact that most of it was filmed at Disneyland and Epcot without Disney's permission is cool.

Also, I watched Wrong Cops from the same guy who made Rubber last night and really enjoyed it. The type of comedy isn't for everyone, but if you like stuff like Tim & Eric you'll probably enjoy it. It also has a great cast (including Eric Wareheim).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Someone recommended the movie Troll Hunter and it took me awhile to watch it after adding it to my queue but that movie was pretty drat good (for a found-footage style movie). The graphics were a lot better than I expected and the (fake?) lore was pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like was literally the last minute. Why the hell end on that note? I'm talking about how the "reporter" guy's rabies suddenly escalates to extreme heights and decides to run out in front of a truck? What the hell was that? They couldn't think of another way to end it?

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Adventures in Babysitting is on Netflix. It's a childhood favorite that still holds up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Wolverine was up on the list but when I went to play it, it said it was unavailable. Anyone know which region has it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Inzombiac posted:

The Wolverine was up on the list but when I went to play it, it said it was unavailable. Anyone know which region has it?

According to Moreflix, Canada has it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

casual poster posted:

Someone recommended the movie Troll Hunter and it took me awhile to watch it after adding it to my queue but that movie was pretty drat good (for a found-footage style movie). The graphics were a lot better than I expected and the (fake?) lore was pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like was literally the last minute. Why the hell end on that note? I'm talking about how the "reporter" guy's rabies suddenly escalates to extreme heights and decides to run out in front of a truck? What the hell was that? They couldn't think of another way to end it?
IIRC, that was the reason the footage was found at all..? Yeah that movie's surprisingly great though.

From what I gather from my childhood reading old norse mythology books and weird poo poo like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Book_of_Gnomes , the trolls were pretty spot-on.

They looked a ton like I remember the Snotgurgles from the Gnome books, and in a lot of myths, they may have have ridiculous numbers of heads - like triple digits. They also have those same gnarly goofy tails.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Jun 10, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's not the last minute, the last minute is the press conference, which is out of place but goddamn hilarious

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Prof. Numbers posted:

Adventures in Babysitting is on Netflix. It's a childhood favorite that still holds up.

I love that movie. I still have a crush on Elizabeth Shue, and I'm pretty sure it started with that movie when I was young.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Last Action Hero is up on Netflix, claim YOUR magic ticket to a thrilling good time now!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Again? I'm pretty sure it was up for a long while previously.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

World War Z is on Netflix and Amazon. Not the best movie, but entertaining.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've started watching Lost Girl. It's really bad but I can't stop watching it for some reason. Like if I watched it weekly I probably wouldn't like it but marathoning it makes the constant badness somewhat more bearable.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I watched The Source Family: A Documentary last night and highly recommend it if mid-'70's spiritual cults interest you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Bored As gently caress posted:

I love that movie. I still have a crush on Elizabeth Shue, and I'm pretty sure it started with that movie when I was young.

Technically, the first THOR film.

• Locked thread