Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The first episode of Sherlock Season Three spent more time laughing with/at the fans than dealing with the consequences of it's last episode. It was self congratulatory wank. The best bit was all the fans here claiming nothing about the show had changed and anyone complaining over the perceived differences was a moron. Guess everyone realized what utter loving nonsense that was then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The first episode of Sherlock Season 3 basically feels like a victory lap. There's a lot of "Come on guys, high five for that one", except it didn't seem to end. Moffat is as in love with 'smart' characters as Aaron Sorkin is. It's the idea of oh they're assholes, but aren't they brilliant?

I don't really want to start off a whole Elementary/Sherlock thing because it happens every once in a while but their approach to Holmes/Watson is very different, and in Elementary is much more human, and culpable for his actions. There are consequences to his dickery, whereas I think Sherlock just lets him off the hook a lot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

The first episode of Sherlock Season 3 basically feels like a victory lap. There's a lot of "Come on guys, high five for that one", except it didn't seem to end.

Yeah, and seven episodes into a series is a little early to become that self-referential. I guess the ending was clever and Moriarty was a good villain (not really), but shows with that few episodes should be expanding their worlds, not making them smaller by focusing on and constantly rehashing their one good plotline.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slamhound posted:

The second episode was the best. The first and last were mostly forgettable.

I'll give you that, the second episode was fun. It was also the only one with anything resembling a mystery worth a drat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed the series premiere of Halt & Catch Fire. It looks to have a great cast, and i'm fascinated by computer technology that existed when I was a small child.

They also went to great lengths to "80's" the everloving poo poo out of the world, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm hesitant to give that show a look just because everyone who has recommended to me or who I've seen praise it has been of the "computer nerd" variety. I'm feeling like I won't appreciate it unless I built my own computer. But I'm a lowly mac owner who has to do a google search every time someone asks me to clean their computer so I get the feeling I'm just not going to be engaged.

But that could just be the impression those people are giving since they're focusing on the computer stuff. I don't care about advertising but I enjoy Mad Men. So I'll probably wait until a couple of episodes air and I can marathon to get a sense of the show and story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm hesitant to give that show a look just because everyone who has recommended to me or who I've seen praise it has been of the "computer nerd" variety. I'm feeling like I won't appreciate it unless I built my own computer. But I'm a lowly mac owner who has to do a google search every time someone asks me to clean their computer so I get the feeling I'm just not going to be engaged.

But that could just be the impression those people are giving since they're focusing on the computer stuff. I don't care about advertising but I enjoy Mad Men. So I'll probably wait until a couple of episodes air and I can marathon to get a sense of the show and story.

I didn't much care for it, but I also didn't care for Silicon Valley either. Not that they really are anything alike, but I'm thinking the subject matter probably played a part in me not caring for them at all. Also I didn't really think Silicon Valley was very funny and for a comedy that's pretty vital.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

I didn't much care for it, but I also didn't care for Silicon Valley either. Not that they really are anything alike, but I'm thinking the subject matter probably played a part in me not caring for them at all. Also I didn't really think Silicon Valley was very funny and for a comedy that's pretty vital.

Look at this poor guy who will never know how long it would take him to jerk off every guy in this room.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Look at this poor guy who will never know how long it would take him to jerk off every guy in this room.

I'll live.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah I didn't bother with Silicon Valley either. It seemed a bit too much like some other show I watched on Amazon or Netflix about an app startup that I lost interest in a few episodes in. I forget the name and can't find it easily, but I'm pretty sure it was recommended to me after I finished Alpha House. Regardless it seems like we're at a point where there's going to be a lot of shows and movies looking back on the major computer developments or the "geek culture" around it and that just doesn't really appeal to me. And Halt or Catch Fire just seems like it might be in that group.

Edit: The show was Betas. And on paper it sounds very much like the same show as Silicon Valley (on paper).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 3, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1htukbyYAuQ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Drake is such garbage that he even ruins Stone Cold Luigi.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Search is still down I think but I can't seem to remember there even being a thread for Halt and Catch Fire on SA.

That being said, yeah, I think the premise of the show is cool but I don't know if it's sexy enough even for the Mad Men crowd who may not be so technically inclined. I'm like just borderline and I know how to build a PC, but I can't :spergin: out about like transistor counts or TFLOPS like some others (which is even way off base for what happened in the 80s). Though the characters are interesting the watch, the whole larger frame of Computer Race probably doesn't seem really appealing to a large audience, which is a shame.

At least something like The Americans (though it barely does just as well in viewer count/demo) has simple Reagan Era Cold War. Russian Spies in Arranged Marriage. written all over it which I can only assume is easier to follow/more appealing to a broader audience. HCF is like "Draper-esque executive/super failed goony computer guy/hot computer chick trying to copy a the computer" and they're already like name dropping tech companies that aren't IBM by their acronyms right off (like TI = Texas Instruments but who might make that connection?).

Here is an article which is basically the history of how Compaq's rise to fame and what they had to do to copy the IBM PC, which is mostly what Halt and Catch Fire is based on (or at least the big plot is).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just watched the pilot to Sherlock

Now I'm no sociopathic savant but I kinda figured out every single plot twist and turn before Sherlock did, which is kind of stupid when it's a show about the greatest detective of all time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Y'all who aren't watching Da Vinci's Demons are missing out. It's the bestest worst show I've ever seen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Now I'm no sociopathic savant but I kinda figured out every single plot twist and turn before Sherlock did, which is kind of stupid when it's a show about the greatest detective of all time

Have you ever read any of the books? The first episode is based off the first one. The only thing they changed was the sections about how evil the Mormon church is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

Have you ever read any of the books? The first episode is based off the first one. The only thing they changed was the sections about how evil the Mormon church is.

No

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GreenNight posted:

Y'all who aren't watching Da Vinci's Demons are missing out. It's the bestest worst show I've ever seen.

Speaking of Assassin's Creed the new show on Fox looks terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2Nn0lPmfc

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GreenNight posted:

It really has been far far better than the premise would ever have suggested. There are still times when it's poo poo, but by and large it is very entertaining.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's cool to see Tim Heidecker on Eastbound and Down. I'm a big T&E fan (along with the other shows they write/produce/direct) and it's always interesting seeing him in a more subdued role.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I'll live.

You'll exist, you wont "live" brother.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The plotting in Sherlock isn't very good, especially in that first episode. It's not a bad show when it just lets characters bounce off each other, but otherwise it's a bit of a mess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they ever explain how he did not die at the end of s2?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Yes, yes, yes, and not really.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Yes and it was in the most boring way imaginable that everyone guessed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well??????

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Well??????

They explained it but then they did the obnoxious "...OR WAS IT?" thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Don't worry, that goes away. They don't make the slightest effort to make the mystery actually solvable by the viewer because they withhold information. Just like the books.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Well??????

It was a body double and they had the real Sherlock fall on a big huge mat or some poo poo and run away before Watson could get up and see him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The plotting in Sherlock isn't very good, especially in that first episode. It's not a bad show when it just lets characters bounce off each other, but otherwise it's a bit of a mess.

Sherlock is Moffat as gently caress and if that doesn't work for you it's not for you.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

It was a body double and they had the real Sherlock fall on a big huge mat or some poo poo and run away before Watson could get up and see him.

Or was it...?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I love that the effect of the reveal made it seem like the whole conspiracy existed just to fake out Watson.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rarity posted:

They explained it but then they did the obnoxious "...OR WAS IT?" thing.

They made an incredibly obvious statement of "You don't need to know, it's not actually important, he's Sherlock loving Holmes. It's about him and Watson." throughout the episode. People missed the point of that, much like they missed the point of the programme openly mocking the people who had been obsessing over how it was done.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 3, 2014

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Can't wait for The Strain. Rereading the first book now, then gonna buy the rest and go through it. Glad I have enough time before the show comes out.

Del Toro's gonna kick some rear end again!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They made an incredibly obvious statement of "You don't need to know, it's not actually important, he's Sherlock loving Holmes. It's about him and Watson." throughout the episode. People missed the point of that, much like they missed the point of the programme openly mocking the people who had been obsessing over how it was done.

This is a loving cop-out though. It would work much better in a show like Elementary that actually focuses on the characters. Sherlock exist in too much of a cartoon reality with flat characters for me to let that excuse fly, especially when the BBC and the two head writers had been teasing the resolution for the two year gap between seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look I've become a big believer in subjectivity in the past few years but I still think that anyone who thinks Sherlock season 3 is good is a garbage human being.

now maybe Deadpool will tell us to shut up about that too and we can get back to better topics like the Luigi death stare and how loving amazing Louie is

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The first episode has an issue where the original pilot was much shorter and they added something like half an hour to the end. That's why Sherlock basically figures it out but doesn't actually come to the conclusion.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one missed that given that they beat you over the head with it all episode, but that doesn't excuse them handwaving a two-year-long cliffhanger away with 'Don't worry about it!' Especially when the excuse is that it's just about him and Watson, because nothing actually changes and Sherlock keeps being an inconsiderate jackass while Watson keeps having Stockholm syndrome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm sure the body double/bicyclist knocks Watson out to distract him was the best they could come up with, and when they couldn't one up that in a more ~~clever~~ way they decided to just pretend to do the fakeout with whats-his-face who got super obsessed about it in the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The issue is that Moffat and Gatiss both added all sorts of fuel to the fire when it came to obsessing over how it was done, with various comments in interviews, so coming back two years later and being like "lol, it wasn't important at all, you dumb nerds!" is just a dick move.

• Locked thread