Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hollismason posted:

I wish there was a game club where I live (Chicago) , so that I could meet a cute boy and play Warhammer and make out.

Or whatever.

I don't know if I'm cute but I'd play warhams with you ;-*

(unfortunately I'm in Kansas City, which, while a stone's throw away in U.S. geographical terms, is much too far for casual gaming)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Captain Rufus posted:

Lots of anger

Heeeey buddy. It really sounds like you've had a pretty negative experience with a lot of this hobby and apart from 1 or 2 random bad experiences with pickup games I really haven't experienced any of the problems you've had with the game socially. I mostly play with friends, but as a great example of how 40k players are not horrendous socially broken people both The Sex Cannon and Goat Bouillabaisse reached out to me here as soon as I moved to the area and ended up being really great guys to hang out with. This might just be a bad experience with your local club, both in terms of the uncomfortable approach you're describing as well as the unwillingness people have to try out new games.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

JerryLee posted:

I don't know if I'm cute but I'd play warhams with you ;-*

(unfortunately I'm in Kansas City, which, while a stone's throw away in U.S. geographical terms, is much too far for casual gaming)

Hello Kansas.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hollismason posted:

I wish there was a game club where I live (Chicago) , so that I could meet a cute boy and play Warhammer and make out.

Or whatever.

Please post this on dakka then crosspost all the PMs you get.

e: hot drat, speaking of dakka: this old chestnut is currently on their front page and needs to go in the OP.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 3, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

e: hot drat, speaking of dakka: this old chestnut is currently on their front page and needs to go in the OP.

I'm the carefully modeled piss

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kaysette posted:

Xe never mentioned its sex... He he

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Kaysette posted:

Hello there, old friend.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Fix posted:

Yeah, we literally pack up eight to twelve guys and go to the bar after game night every Tuesday and it's rad. Game clubs are great.

You could always have your club based at a Bowling Club or similar venue so you reap all the benefits of an open bar while you play :sun:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd like to make an argument for why the Hemlock Wraithfighter is now a sincerely worthwhile choice in this new edition.

Buffs:
- Is Mastery Level 1 and adds to the Psychic Pool
- Gains the Psychic Scream power
- Psychic Scream is now 18" range
- Terrify buffed to give a -1 to LD checks
- Can now cast on the turn that it comes in
- Jink is now 4+ won't prevent it from casting
- Is equipped with Spirit Stones so ignores 50% of the vehicle damage table on a 2+ and ignores Stunned on a 4+

Cons:
- Does not score
- Jink means it cannot fire the Heavy D-Scythes
- Cannot attack other flyers

Essentially, you now have a Flyer that on the turn it comes in, vector dances, and can Psychic Scream at a unit 18" away then either drop double S4 AP2 Distort blast templates on that same unit, or on another unit entirely.

Alternatively, you can bring it in to 12" of multiple enemy units and use Terrify on one unit which will force a LD -1 test that must be re-rolled if passed (because of the Hemlock's Mind Shock pod). You can then follow it up with the double blasts, and potentially force a second, re-rolled if passed, leadership test. Furthermore, everything that causes pinning (Serpent Shields, Rangers, Dark Reapers w/ Starshot, Warp Spider Spinneret Rifle, Shadow Weaver/D-Cannons, etc...) also force re-rolls on all passed pin checks with 12". Ditto for break checks. In this capacity, a terrified LD 10 unit fails 33% of the time it takes a check, a terrified LD 9 unit fails 55% of the time it takes a check. Pretty brutal.

With the nerf to Skyfire weapons I assume there will likely be fewer of them on the table (though it may push more flyers, which will eventually push them back onto the table). Still, the Hemlock can still Jink for the 4+ and ignore most penetrating results, while still being an effective offensive weapon (via Terrify/Mindshock).

[/argument]

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well the way they wrote the FAQ it can now fly on the board and turn into a Bloodthirster.

So I mean that is kind of badass.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Well the way they wrote the FAQ it can now fly on the board and turn into a Bloodthirster.

So I mean that is kind of badass.

I don't really understand why anyone thinks that. It states it does not roll for psychic powers but knows Terrify (which also gives it Psychic Focus and thus Psychic Scream) but since it's only Mastery Level 1 and must take Terrify it can't exactly roll for Possession...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its listed in the FAQ for Eldar

Any model with the Psyker or Psychic Pilot special rule may generate powers from the Daemonology Discpline in addition to the others listed in their Army List Entry.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the argument is that it only gets one power, and it has to take Terrify.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HiveCommander posted:

You could always have your club based at a Bowling Club or similar venue so you reap all the benefits of an open bar while you play :sun:

The place Zhent and I play is over a VFW bar. It's a bar where hopes and dreams go to die, their selection is terrible, but it's dirt cheap and their mixed drinks are stupid strong. It definitely adds something to game night.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

In Addition to means in addition. I don't know how that could be clearer?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I spent my teenage years seeing lovely bands scream at people in VFWs and the notion of playing Warhammer in or near one fills me with melancholy

Hollismason posted:

'The Hemlock Wraithfighter does not roll for powers but always knows the Terrify psychic power from the Telepathy discipline.'

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 3, 2014

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Ok but the rule in the book says the following:

quote:

In some Army List Entries, a Psyker will have one or more specific psychic powers listed - where this is the case, it will clearly be stated. These Psykers always start the game with those psychic powers. Otherwise, a Psyker generates random psychic powers from amongst the psychic disciplines known to him.

The Wraithfighter knows a specific power, and so can't generate a random power from the table.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Yeah dude we get it. It is Mastery Level 1. It specifically states it does not roll for psychic powers but knows Terrify. Since it can't possibly know anything more than the Telepathy Primaris, maybe you should explain why you think it can roll for Possession now simply because the FAQ says the "psyker and psychic pilot" can roll on daemonology.

Anyways, the Hemlock got a lot of buffs and it's now p good

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 3, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
With the new vehicle rules I'm thinking that spartan assault tanks are basically not killable from the front

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

then why psychic pilot at all, in addition to what else is in it's army list literally mean in addition to.For example, a clear cut one would be Chaos Focus, Daemons know the Primaris Power in Addition to it's other powers. That doesn't mean a Sorcerer w/ ML 3 has 3 powers it means it has 1 more power that is a Tzeentch power in addition to its others.

Also, yes the Spartan is almost unkillable now with the new Vehicle Rules. Imperial Knights got a nice buff as well but you ca still hullpoint strip them.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

With the new vehicle rules I'm thinking that spartan assault tanks are basically not killable from the front

Also take a look at the Achilles Alpha, -1 to the damage chart even before modifiers is just so gross.
E: Oh god I forgot its immune to melta and lance

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 3, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

then why psychic pilot at all, in addition to what else is in it's army list literally mean in addition to.For example, a clear cut one would be Chaos Focus, Daemons know the Primaris Power in Addition to it's other powers. That doesn't mean a Sorcerer w/ ML 3 has 3 powers it means it has 1 more power that is a Tzeentch power in addition to its others.

The issue isn't whether or not it's allowed to generate Demonology powers, the issue is that it's not allowed to 'generate' any powers at all. It isn't. It knows Terrify.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The issue isn't whether or not it's allowed to generate Demonology powers, the issue is that it's not allowed to 'generate' any powers at all. It isn't. It knows Terrify.

The confusing part is where the Eldar FAQ states that Psychic Pilots can generate powers from Daemonology, since the Hemlock (along with every single model with Psychic Pilot) has fixed powers. There is literally no reason why it should state that in the Eldar-specific FAQ. If GW are trying to futureproof themselves then they are doing it wrong, that sort of clarification should be in a rulebook FAQ.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Also take a look at the Achilles Alpha, -1 to the damage chart even before modifiers is just so gross.

Hahaha holy poo poo. If only you could throw a flare shield ontop. 300 points that will never die to shooting

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Boon posted:

I'd like to make an argument for why the Hemlock Wraithfighter is now a sincerely worthwhile choice in this new edition.
*snip*

The problem with all of this is that it's still AV10 and not particularly cheap. The Pod is really nice utility and Terrify is a pretty good spell (I don't think it is intended to know Psychic Shriek, and "generated" is only ever used in reference to rolling powers, not automatically-known powers, so I think there is a reasonable RAW argument there as well, but that's largely beside the point), but there are a ton of other better options around for anything other than a morale-themed gimmick list. Swooping Hawks and Warp Spiders are both powerful and effective units in the same slot that can score objectives; the Wave Serpent is pretty absurdly powerful; Jetbikes and Fire Prisms and Night Spinners and Wraithknights/lords and War Walkers and tons of other units all outperform the Hemlock as well in a variety of roles.

I wouldn't call the Hemlock horrible, but it's just too easy to kill and not good enough at really doing anything. It needs to basically dive into the middle of the enemy in order to do its job and thus is not only exposed to a lot of fire but also going to be able to do its job for only a limited period of time, so basing a strategy around them is not all that good idea. Moreover, a lot of armies are just immune to what it wants to do, partially or fully- Daemons, Tyranids, Orks, and most varieties of Space Marines will pretty much just ignore its trick, which is a large chunk of the field.

BULBASAUR posted:

Presumably FW will be releasing a FAQ to update things to 7E at some point, but yeah, the Spartan and most especially the Achilles are pretty stupid right now. I wouldn't make any guarantees about them getting fixed, either.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just noticed the logo on the GW page has changed... boy, I am excited

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It's been like that since the Orkanauts went up :)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

I just noticed the logo on the GW page has changed... boy, I am excited

Yeah... I don't have high hopes for it, which is a real shame since Orks haven't had a codex in so long it'd be a huge kick in the groin if it worked out to be bad.
The new 'narrative forging' Instinctive Behaviour really sets the precedent for Orks to get Animosity like their WFB counterparts.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
oh my god I'm so loving tired of the bitching about IT'S CINEMATICS LOL and NARRATIVE FORGING!

cool we made up an explanation for GW's design process now :regd08:

do you even play or paint or do anything besides cry into your tyranid codex 24/7?

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Having played Orcs and Goblins in Fantasy for a while, I honestly find animosity to be pretty entertaining. It's certainly not as punishing as it used to be.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AgentF posted:

What is there in the way of US wargaming stores that will deliver to Australia?

If you're willing to pay shipping Atomic Empire might. I have no idea what the costs would be like or if they ship outside the US, but they have a GW products webstore so I imagine they don't give a poo poo about the trade embargo crap either.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
What'd a 1500 point sisters look like nowadays? I'm (foolishly) considering putting one together. I've inherited a few models from a mate and I've always liked the look of the army so I figure I can just trawl eBay, gumtree etc. and slowly add to the collection over time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

do you even play or paint or do anything besides cry into your tyranid codex 24/7?
I do actually, I play my Grey Knights instead :smug:

Cataphract posted:

What'd a 1500 point sisters look like nowadays? I'm (foolishly) considering putting one together. I've inherited a few models from a mate and I've always liked the look of the army so I figure I can just trawl eBay, gumtree etc. and slowly add to the collection over time.
I'd love to see some photos when you're done, I haven't seen a Sisters army in years thanks to their high-model count and metal models. I did consider doing a small force a while back with gold armour and red robes after messing around with the army painter in Soulstorm.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 3, 2014

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Huh, just noticed that a lot of the Sisters stuff on the website is now listed as no longer available. Fancy that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ghetto wormhole posted:

oh my god I'm so loving tired of the bitching about IT'S CINEMATICS LOL and NARRATIVE FORGING!

cool we made up an explanation for GW's design process now :regd08:

Look at this guy whose hobby is buying GW products.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Panzeh posted:

Look at this guy whose hobby is buying GW products.

suck it poors :smug:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

Units of sisters in rhinos, a couple of mace-priests, celestine is still good with a unit of seraphim. Exorcists.
Immolators are decent, made better with scouting in the fast slot.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

The new codex builds are a bit tame, generally still relying on bulk Battle Sister units and Exorcists. A build like this below would take advantage of their solid access to special weapons as well as ensuring you'll get some scoring models onto objectives.

HQ:
Canoness 60pts (85pts)
++Book of Saint Lucius 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Rosarius 15pts

5x Sororitas Command Squad 60pts (160pts)
++Hospitalier 10pts
++2x Flamer 10pts
++2x Meltagun 20pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

Troops:
7x Battle Sister Squad 84pts (144pts)
++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

++Flamer 5pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
++Meltagun 10pts
++Soriritas Rhino 40pts

Heavy Support:
Exorcist 125pts (130pts)
++Stormbolter 5pts

Exorcist 125pts (130pts)
++Stormbolter 5pts

Exorcist 125pts (130pts)
++Stormbolter 5pts

Total Points: 1499pts
Total Models: 58

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

In the wise words of A-Rod, "how does it feel to be poor, motherfucker?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Fix posted:

Yeah, we literally pack up eight to twelve guys and go to the bar after game night every Tuesday and it's rad. Game clubs are great.

Word.

I've been kicking around some new lists now that I've been getting my head around 7th. I think GK MSU razorspam might be viable now that tanks can score, they help out with the casting pool, and you can share transports with battle bros.

First 1850 draft:

1x Coteaz
1x Xeno inquisitor, ML1, 2x servo skulls
6x 3xhenchmen, razorback, psyammo, assault cannon
3x rifledread, psyammo
1x Chapter master, 2+, Shield Eternal, fist
1x 10 man tac squad, flamer, combi flamer
1x stormtalon, skyhammer
1x stormraven, MM, lascannons

You get some air support, some late game tac marine scoring, a ton of good shooting, 14 Objective Secured units, a strong close combat monster who can hang out with Coteaz and the other inquisitor, servo skulls to push back dogs and bikes, and 12 dice in the pool before your D6 to shutdown seerstar and some summoning.

• Locked thread