Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Sisgmund posted:

Preferred leader of the libs:

Turnbull 31%
Abbott 18%
"Someone Else" 19%

EDIT: A good headline from ninemsn

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
VIctorian premier press conference on...

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Naptime's on now.

Won't be "held to ransom" by Shaw. Interesting days to come.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hypation posted:

Nope. Bolt is a dickhead who speaks to the far right of the party. That part is cut off from the donor base and swinging voters - except swingers in Central-Western Sydney, which is the same votes the ALP needs. Oh crap we're hosed.

So eager were you to jump on the initial clause of the sentence (you know, the bit where I state what seems to be happening before the next bit, which is called a secondary clause without which the initial clause makes no sense), you forgot the part where I said the same thing. And even funnier, you ignored the bit where i said They aren't even examining why it isn't working, just copying it. which perfectly describes your brand of stupidity.

quote:

+1 for Separation of Church and State please. Next thing they'll be teaching "Of Pandas and People".

What does this even mean. Let's all hear your explanation of this hilarious non-sequitur.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Shadeoses posted:

Maybe the F-35 is revenge for us selling them a ship that dissolves in water.

It's like ordering a car with no wheels and complaining when you can't drive it anywhere:

quote:

Lots of things — major weapons, for one — have been left off the LCS in order to keep the price down. The list of deleted items includes something called a “Cathodic Protection System,” which is designed to prevent electrolysis.

Independence will get the protection system installed at the first opportunity, and future LCSs will include it from the beginning, according to Pritchett.
http://www.wired.com/2011/06/shipbuilder-blames-navy-as-brand-new-warship-disintegrates/

....and really not that much of a big deal apparently:

quote:

"I don't think it's a serious problem," said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst with the Arlington, Va.-based Lexington Institute. "It's typical of what happens when radical concepts are introduced for the first time. Some simple fixes should allow the Austal version to go forward."

Chris Johnson, a spokesman for the Naval Sea Systems Command, said the "aggressive" corrosion in Independence's propulsion system, confirmed in a letter to Congressional appropriations committees last month, is in no way catastrophic.

"You have to realize, from the Navy's perspective, the first ship of any class is a prototype," Johnson said. "You build it, you start testing it, you find what works and what doesn't work. ... We found a design issue, and we're working to correct it."

http://blog.al.com/press-register-business/2011/07/lcs_corrosion_no_serious_probl.html

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Gods Almighty, this Councillor. This is literally the worst speech I've ever heard about anything.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Naptime's on now.

Won't be "held to ransom" by Shaw. Interesting days to come.

I dunno, we've been on the cusp of this since toml first raised it over a year ago. You would think Shaw would have more to gain in his final months just quietly trying to get a few concessions through parliament by him guaranteeing his stablity. Hell maybe all this playing out at the moment is following on from quiet negotations and someone is trying to call someones bluff.

Execute
Apr 25, 2014

*Insert Electric Noise Here*

SynthOrange posted:

Condolences for being trapped in South Australia.

Acutally its worse, Im in Tassie.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

ewe2 posted:

So eager were you to jump on the initial clause of the sentence (you know, the bit where I state what seems to be happening before the next bit, which is called a secondary clause without which the initial clause makes no sense), you forgot the part where I said the same thing. And even funnier, you ignored the bit where i said They aren't even examining why it isn't working, just copying it. which perfectly describes your brand of stupidity.

You said:

ewe2 posted:

There's a bit on how Bolt is apparently setting the Libs agenda, I think we can just chalk that up to our conservatives aping whatever commentariat/policy structure the US teapartiers set up, with predictable results. They aren't even examining why it isn't working, just copying it.

In reading your first clause I take away the fact that Crikey wrote an article alleging Bolt is setting the Libs agenda. "apparently setting the Libs agenda" read by me to mean allegation by Crikey that Bolt is setting the Lib's agenda.

The second clause seemed to me to be an explanation of why/how 'Bolt is apparently setting the Libs agenda'. I took it to mean that you allege the Liberal Party and media (I know how you love the Liberal Party Murdoch conspiracy theories) are copying the US commentariat/policy structure to have right wing media drive/frame a policy debate for the benefit of the conservative party. The second sentence "They aren't even examining why it isn't working, just copying it." seems to be to me you saying that their plan is stupid.

As far as your second clause goes - I read it that way because it is basically true. Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt etc do frame the debate and the right fills the empty frame and issues selected / created by the commentariat with their right wing responses.

My response to your post was therefore - no one who matters gives a gently caress about Bolt ... except for Western Sydney and that as a result of that the ALP and Liberals are both addressing policy within the right wing media framework.

I may have completely misread your post????

ewe2 posted:

What does this even mean. Let's all hear your explanation of this hilarious non-sequitur.

It means they should keep religion out of schools.

If they think that a chaplain program is a good idea then it is possible they might want to extend religious 'education' further. One extreme form of that is by corrupting the science curriculum with special creationist crap.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MiniSune posted:

A bit late, but when we do compete on service or quality or experience we still get shafted.

We just lost a large BHP contract to a competitor on 10% price differential (good luck to them) - we exceeded our safety targets, recorded low TRIFR rates, came in on time and on budget with a minimum of screw ups. We won awards and got positive feedback. We had experienced guys and frankly one of the best operators in the business. And we still lost to a bunch of guys kicked out of ODO for a bunch of safety violations, who have a shithouse track record on running ontime and on budget.

It is a harsh fact, service or quality or experience only really counts when the price is the same, especially in this "Age of the Accountant" where everything is lowest price possible. To think otherwise is delusional, and is a sad reflection on the current state of the mining business.

Oh yeah. I was talking about retail and end consumer experience. business to business, the type of sale you're talking about, involves bean counters and lawyers and ambience or service doesn't fit into the equation.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Those On My Beet posted:

I dunno, we've been on the cusp of this since toml first raised it over a year ago. You would think Shaw would have more to gain in his final months just quietly trying to get a few concessions through parliament by him guaranteeing his stablity. Hell maybe all this playing out at the moment is following on from quiet negotations and someone is trying to call someones bluff.

Geoff Shaw almost definitely has some sort of mental illness and has clearly not been making rational decisions. Bringing down a government for the purpose of power tripping would be entirely characteristic of him.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Those On My Beet posted:

Oh yeah. I was talking about retail and end consumer experience. business to business, the type of sale you're talking about, involves bean counters and lawyers and ambience or service doesn't fit into the equation.

Sadly. Sometimes I wonder how the hell we get it out of a hole and on to a ship.

And agreed, retail in this country is shocking.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

Just found a cool website with lots and lots of graphs and stuff. You probably already know it. It does lots of cool things although sometimes the graphs don't start at zero which makes some changes exaggerated.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Frances Bell posted:

Oppostion Leader Daniel Andrews media conference Parliament House 9.15pm #springst

#itson

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
#notermnapthine #shawthing

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hahahah

Is there going to be a stream somewhere? ABC 24 be a safe bet yeah?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Yeah 24 will have it. Sky probably will as well but they'll cut to a Liberal talking head explaining how this is good for Denis immediately thereafter so there's a very short vomit trigger window.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Condolences for being trapped in South Australia.

Labor state government bitches.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MiniSune posted:

A bit late, but when we do compete on service or quality or experience we still get shafted.

We just lost a large BHP contract to a competitor on 10% price differential (good luck to them) - we exceeded our safety targets, recorded low TRIFR rates, came in on time and on budget with a minimum of screw ups. We won awards and got positive feedback. We had experienced guys and frankly one of the best operators in the business. And we still lost to a bunch of guys kicked out of ODO for a bunch of safety violations, who have a shithouse track record on running ontime and on budget.

It is a harsh fact, service or quality or experience only really counts when the price is the same, especially in this "Age of the Accountant" where everything is lowest price possible. To think otherwise is delusional, and is a sad reflection on the current state of the mining business.

I actually have to disagree with you. The engineering company I work for gets a lot of work in South East Asia despite being multiple times more expensive than the fly by night local contractors. This is because our stuff doesn't break in 5 years and then they end up having to pay us anyway to come fix it. They just pay us a good amount in the first place and it works. That's mostly because it's run by oligarchs who want to make as much long term profit as possible, not CEO's who make a huge amount over 5 years then parachute out with their massive bonuses when everything goes to poo poo.

EDIT: That said though we've busted our humps for years building that track record, and last year our CEO tried to tell us when we're working in Asia to work to Asian standards. Literally every engineer walked out of the meeting saying gently caress that, we're working to our loving standards he can't tell us others. About 6 months later our Norwegian owners stepped in and fired him. Yes CEO, you tell professional engineers who take pride in their work to slip their quality and safety standards and endanger our colleagues :allears:

EDIT2: All our project managers said "nope gently caress that" as well. It was great.

hooman fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 3, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

Geoff Shaw almost definitely has some sort of mental illness and has clearly not been making rational decisions. Bringing down a government for the purpose of power tripping would be entirely characteristic of him.

eh I dunno I reckon he's pushing something behind the scenes. I would have though he has everything to lose by calling an early election, namely his seat.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

..but you never know. Live coverage is so boring.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those On My Beet posted:

eh I dunno I reckon he's pushing something behind the scenes. I would have though he has everything to lose by calling an early election, namely his seat.
Nah, he's bat poo poo insane.

At the start of the week Naptime asked Abbott not to appear at the State Election campaign in November.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

At the start of the week Naptime asked Abbott not to appear at the State Election campaign in November.

hahahahaha that's great. Let's all write to Tony and say how we want him to appear during the Victorian election campaign. His ego will get in the way.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Someone's mobile keeps vibrating on ABC 24 :allears:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Someone's mobile keeps vibrating on ABC 24 :allears:

Yeah, I reckon someone's calling him to say 'HOLY poo poo YOU'RE ON TV'.

edit: Or someone calling to say "SHUT UP YOU IDIOT"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New clark and dawes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQoT9xXRXtY

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Actually, wasn't this posted in the last thread? Still pretty great though. and tragic.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

not new pls

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

5 days old, get with the times Grandad :rolleyes:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well, nothing much came out of Daniel Andrews' presser

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

You Am I posted:

I dunno, I get the impression that he and Napthine are very much gearing up for some form of fight. Whether it's an early election or a proxy by-election in Frankston, it'll be interesting.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Yeah, and I'm completely unsurprised. Labor sure does pick nobodies.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I dunno, I get the impression that he and Napthine are very much gearing up for some form of fight. Whether it's an early election or a proxy by-election in Frankston, it'll be interesting.

His whole thing about going to the Governor is bullshit. Ant Green just dismissed it straight away because the governor has no power at this stage except to say 'follow the loving procedure, poo poo'

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Jesus, I go to get a burger and Shaw shits his pants in public

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's literally he-said she-said politics. Neither side has the guts to call it one way or the other because both are afraid of the fallout. So its going to drag on like a long boring stupid thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Those On My Left posted:

Imagine what would happen if you go away for a weekend. Revolution on the streets of Canberra!

Those On My Beet posted:

His whole thing about going to the Governor is bullshit. Ant Green just dismissed it straight away because the governor has no power at this stage except to say 'follow the loving procedure, poo poo'

Yeah, thus why it is much ado about nothing at the moment. There is no way Naptime will step aside, considering he was the person that Shaw said he could do business with.

Shaw has gone off the deep again, and he doesn't care about the damage he does to either the parliament or State Libs.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
A stirring defence of the repeal of 18C from professional fuckface Campbelltown mayor Clinton Mead

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

What kind of burger?

Andrews is pretty boring but his press conference explained why I have no idea who the current Vic Labour leader is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

Imagine what would happen if you go away for a weekend. Revolution on the streets of Canberra!
Fact: I'm spending this weekend in Magnetic Island. :getin:

You Am I posted:

Yeah, thus why it is much ado about nothing at the moment. There is no way Naptime will step aside, considering he was the person that Shaw said he could do business with.

Shaw has gone off the deep again, and he doesn't care about the damage he does to either the parliament or State Libs.
These are all reasons why the government might not fall, or at least might not fall immediately. But this whole debacle still has substantial ramifications for how much parliamentary business (including the passing of legislation) the Victorian Government will be able to proceed with for the rest of the year. And Governments typically like to actually do things in their election year.

Kat Delacour posted:

What kind of burger?
http://www.themerrywell.com.au/

• Locked thread