Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

quote:

gently caress me Cahill looks jetlagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I might watch some or even all of Australia's games, stay tuned for updates.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Never mind, I'll watch the first one because it's at 8am but gently caress 2am.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Hey it's not all doom and gloom we just won against some poo poo random Brazilian club 2-0

http://www.smh.com.au/fifa-world-cu...0603-zrvmq.html

Also injuries. Not that it really matters cause to quote the OP: "Tom Rogic was a promising young star of the A League who was sold to Celtic. Turned out he was too poo poo for the SPL and is back in the A League." Helps make the final 23 decision easier.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I love watching my stupid baby country get embarrassed on the international stage, and am therefore looking forward to the world cup immensely.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwdZSN0Qk

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Some more of those ones please lads

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I like penalties.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Never worked out if spider was a worse keeper or pundit

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Byolante posted:

Never worked out if spider was a worse keeper or pundit

he does have some great saves just his howlers are uggghhhhh

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

dj_pain posted:

he does have some great saves just his howlers are uggghhhhh

If he's on the SBS broadcast, chances are he's not a great pundit. Those guys are so lifeless most of the time, pretty much except when Clint Bolton comes on and hes the only one who doesn't look like hes on Channel 31.

It's odd though, since all those guys do a really good podcast but lose their poo poo on TV.

Did you guys see the finalized squad? Looks like Rogic is a good chance of game time after all - even though he's apparently unfit/injured after the club game

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Post that final squad.

Ned Zelic is my best and worst pundit all at the same time, although Clint Bolton is actually good if so unoffensive he may as well not have opinions. They're all poo poo though, I watched The World Game last night and Culina was just staring at Craig Foster the entire show with a look of 'what the hell are you talking about' on his face, I couldn't stop laughing.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Uh Rogic got cut from the final squad http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...3-1226942083654

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Ah thank Christ, the website I was using looks like it is off sorts. I guess he was always going to find it difficult to fulfill the expectations on him, I was definitely hopeful myself.

I remember slowly realizing that I'd overhyped him in my head and that sucked - but who knows, a good preseason and maybe he'll bounce back

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

quote:

AUSTRALIA

GOALKEEPERS: Mat Ryan (Club Brugge/Belgium), Mitch Langerak (Borussia Dortmund/Germany), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets)

DEFENDERS: Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Bailey Wright (Preston North End/England), Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo/Netherlands), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow/Russia), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Motors/Korea Republic), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng/China PR)

MIDFIELDERS: Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace/England), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), James Holland (Austria Vienna/Austria), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town/England), Oliver Bozanic (Luzern/Switzerland), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa/Qatar)

FORWARDS: Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls/USA), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus/Japan), Tom Rogic (Melbourne Victory), Dario Vidosic (Sion/Switzerland), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht/Netherlands), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf/Germany), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), Matthew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt/Germany)

I think thats pretty much the final 23 - McKay and Brec are pretty much confirmed/not confirmed as either not up to scratch or injured in the warm up matches. At this rate we'll be playing the youth team if the rate our players are dropping off! Kennedy was ruled out after back spasms :stare:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

6 A-League players is either a glowing representation of the strides the league has taken or a damning indictment of the state of our national team. I can't decide which.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm pretty happy with the players from the A League, I can't think of who else I'd have in on recent form. I liked Yeboah a lot when he was around but who knows how he's going in Germany.

No Victory defenders, good decision

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Bogan Krkic posted:

6 A-League players is either a glowing representation of the strides the league has taken or a damning indictment of the state of our national team. I can't decide which.

two league one players should settle that question

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Reckon Topor-Stanley should have been in with a shout, or Luke Brattan. And obviously Traore would have held down the left back spot, if only FIFA didn't make sure he was... left back :rimshot:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm going to interpret this as you saying that the A league is vastly superior to league one.

I agree for the sole reason that I can't watch league one because I'm poor and it's not on free to air

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Reckon Topor-Stanley should have been in with a shout, or Luke Brattan. And obviously Traore would have held down the left back spot, if only FIFA didn't make sure he was... left back :rimshot:

Noice.

Maybe David Williams? Although I'm not sure he'd have had enough games for his usual 12 round drought before scoring bonanza

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Mckay not making the 23 is ludicrous.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Well luckily he did and it was Wilkshire that got cut!

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

Fucks sake, wrong twice in a row. Don't ever trust soccerbyives.net

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shmoses posted:

I would have prefered Milligan be the one to get cut but gently caress it who cares, the guy I played school boy soccer with is at the world cup thats all that matters

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Milligan was never going to get cut, he's essential to the way Ange wants to play imo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Do you guys hate Christian Vieri as much as Americans hate Giuseppe Rossi?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Nah, we reserve that for Josip Simunic.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Do you guys hate Christian Vieri as much as Americans hate Giuseppe Rossi?

No because we got the much better Vieri, Max. :suicide:

Unless Wilkshire is injured, I think it's a poor move to drop him. He gets a lot of stick but he's the most reliable fullback we have.

A shame Rogic won't be in the squad, I was looking forward to seeing him play as he's one of the few guys in our team that can create something, but I guess if he's on one leg he mightn't been of much use.

Kennedy ... meh, Cahill is a better target man and realistically that's all he was going to be.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Wilkshire is too slow and poo poo on the ball to be any use in Ange's system, and he was never going to change the system to accommodate a player who is good, but really not hugely better than Franjic who basically knows the style of play inside out.

Rogic is hosed, his groin has been poo poo for ages and he really just needs time to rest it and then prove again that he's a good enough player. He was good at Victory when he played, but his decision making was suspect and he was very obviously never fit. Kennedy was dropped due to injury, although I suspect it was both injury and not being good enough. Bresc is the main loss as there's not really anyone else in the center of midfield with any creativity from deep without him, but his legs are long gone too.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Thought Bresc was still in the squad?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
^^^^^ isn't Bresh still in the squad?

Wilkshire, aside from being fat and slow, apparently has hada shocking attitude in training and the friendlies. Not worth having around in that case.
Also to me it looks like Rogic has OP. A rest will do him good

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Aw frig I've read too many conflicting reports. Who were the final 4 to be cut then? Wilkshire, Kennedy, Rogic and... Birighitti? Ignore all my posts tia

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Straight from my spam folder to you, FFA's official 23 man squad

Oliver BOZANIC, Mark BRESCIANO, Tim CAHILL, Jason DAVIDSON, Ivan FRANJIC, Eugene GALEKOVIC, Ben HALLORAN, James HOLLANDm, Mile JEDINAK, Mitchell LANGERAK, Mathew LECKIE, Massimo LUONGO, Ryan McGOWAN, Matt McKAY, Mark MILLIGAN, Tommy OAR, Mat RYAN, Matthew SPIRANOVIC, Adam TAGGART, James TROISI, Dario VIDOSIC, Alex WILKINSON, Bailey WRIGHT

http://www.socceroos.com.au/article/socceroos-name-squad-for-2014-fifa-world-cup/1oau2db5xpt4u1phiofp2zckr2

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

That is a really poo poo squad lol we're going to get stomped. Not that we could have really taken anyone better, Robbie Kruse is the only big loss that I can think of

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Alex Wilkinson has got to be the worst defender at the World Cup

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

For my triple post, in non national team news Carl Valeri has signed for Melbourne Victory. Good signing imo, but I hope it doesn't force the Brox into a sub role again as he's come on amazingly in the past season. I guess Archie will slip under the cap entirely provided we extend his contract then. Could be another sign of a change in formation too, moving to a diamond midfield with Milligan, Brox, Valeri and Finkler, which would be stunning imo.

Anyone watch enough of him to know why he dropped completely off the national team radar?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Seems foolish of them to train in Australia then go to Brazil, especially with players coming from Europe having to adjust their circadian rhythyms twice. Because of this, I am tipping Australia to finish last.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vaginal culture posted:

Seems foolish of them to train in Australia then go to Brazil, especially with players coming from Europe having to adjust their circadian rhythyms twice. Because of this, I am tipping Australia to finish last.

Bold prediction, this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Byolante posted:

Oliver BOZANIC, Mark BRESCIANO, Tim CAHILL, Jason DAVIDSON, Ivan FRANJIC, Eugene GALEKOVIC, Ben HALLORAN, James HOLLANDm, Mile JEDINAK, Mitchell LANGERAK, Mathew LECKIE, Massimo LUONGO, Ryan McGOWAN, Matt McKAY, Mark MILLIGAN, Tommy OAR, Mat RYAN, Matthew SPIRANOVIC, Adam TAGGART, James TROISI, Dario VIDOSIC, Alex WILKINSON, Bailey WRIGHT

Because of this, I am tipping Australia to finish last.

• Locked thread