Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

radintorov posted:

Welcome to the world of idiotic copyright claims on Youtube, where you can have a video flagged and blocked because your microphone picked up a bit of wind blowing outside your house while recording commentary (like it happened with Jade Star's LP), or you dared to use a bit of music for a video even when you have received the author's permission to use it in said video.
It's dumb and has been going on for years and will sadly probably keep going for a long while still.
It gets even stupider. Sometimes companies flag their own videos, because the flagging is done automatically and they forgot to add that video to the list of exceptions. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloweenhead
Jan 26, 2009

~*4 walls & adobe slabs*~
I think perhaps a way to complete the LP is to summarize sections, without feeling the need to be completely thorough. Maybe highlight parts that *are* interesting. It'd be a shame to have gotten this far and then pull out, but it's entirely up to you. Maybe someone else could step up to the plate and assist you with completion? I'd assume there's a way you could share the save files or something?

But in any case, thanks for covering everything you've done so far. It's been a fun and nostalgic look back at a game/time period.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Gatz, if you've got the blues then maybe you should just do the mandatory parts and skip the side quests? Not only would you get done quicker, many of the side quests are not even fun.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I dunno, I plan to continue doing everything that I wanted to before. I wrote that section about not enjoying the LP after trying to make a particularly boring conversation (the one with Flynn) interesting, which wasn't easy to do.

We'll see how I feel later, my mood about this changes pretty frequently -- even my mood about sitting down and writing an update. For now, expect to see everything, like before.

gatz fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 1, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So how do these things know the tapes exist? I suppose getting copied on film might actually feel like something to a fiend.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Glazius posted:

Huh. So how do these things know the tapes exist? I suppose getting copied on film might actually feel like something to a fiend.

Not sure, but using that same line of logic, those fiends set up the video cameras and distributed the tape. They're too mindless, accoring to what we've seen. Too beast-like. Could they be the minions of something greater? A more intelligent one of their own?

citybeatnik posted:

What fresh hell did I just watch?

I've heard that some people get tingles from watching those horrible whispering videos called "ASMR" on youtube. I really just think they're basement dwellers desperate for any human contact.

Oh, before I forget again, I still plan to review that anarch sourcebook. Just after the LP is done.

gatz fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 1, 2014

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

This thread prompted a replay of this game from me, and while it was only my second playthrough to make it to the end, I know what's coming next, and I can see where that'd compound any dragging the LP is already doing. I love the game and I think you're really doing a ton of justice with this run, but do what you have to do.

I will say that the little monsters from the tape are an absolute pain in the rear end if you don't have fortitude. Without fortitude, you can't soak their aggravated damage, so the best solution to them that I found was crouching, as their AI doesn't seem to know how to hit a crouched player. Cheesy, I know, but I felt it was warranted at various points. With fortitude you can just go to town on them.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I will say that the little monsters from the tape are an absolute pain in the rear end if you don't have fortitude. Without fortitude, you can't soak their aggravated damage, so the best solution to them that I found was crouching, as their AI doesn't seem to know how to hit a crouched player. Cheesy, I know, but I felt it was warranted at various points. With fortitude you can just go to town on them.

Did not know that about the crouching. As you've probably noticed, I just handled them melee style. Three hits from the fake katana or sledgehammer does the trick.

I can't decide what I want to do next, so it's time for a vote.

Our options are:
1. Head for this house in the Hollywood hills
2. Investigate the Gargoyle situation, heading back downtown to collect information
3. Head back to Santa Monica to catch that serial killer
4. Head over to the nightclub, Vesuvius, that Flynn mentioned

The first choice involves me doing something special in order to change one of Melissa's stats. It might warrant a screenshot and a summary, but nothing more. Vote your conscious.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

gatz posted:

3. Head back to Santa Monica to catch that serial killer
I'd feel bad if we waited and let him/her kill again. Don't want that on our conscience.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Gatz, you're feeling down making this LP. Go to the strippers and go treat yourself to a happy ending.

RC Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The last time we investigated a weird supernatural horror she became our bff and gave us a cool artifact. As such, go have some drinks with the gargoyle and talk about theater since, that seems to be his main interest so far.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Serial killer cause for the life of me I can't remember how that ends.

Break
Feb 19, 2011
Mostly came in to say I have been following this thread from the beginning, and it has been pretty great (love the extra flavor from WoD lore / anarchist theory). Sorry that it's wearing on you, but I have enjoyed it a great deal.

And I guess...
Check into that gargoyle (2)

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I vote for the Strip Club. Last time I played I think I used some addon that added new music tracks and the music from Vesuvius was my favorite in the whole game.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Serial killer. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because the next story mission is the worst part of the game and pumping XP into Fortitude before you do it can make it marginally less painful!

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Romeo Charlie posted:

Gatz, you're feeling down making this LP. Go to the strippers and go treat yourself to a happy ending.

Gonna agree with this one.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Wrap up the Serial Killer storyline, it's been a dangling thread for far too long.

Also I wanted to throw in my hat saying that I appreciate the work you're putting into this LP.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Yeah, let's do Serial Killer

Also, great work on this LP. I don't know a lot about the world of darkness, but this is a fun game, and I very much enjoy learning more about the source material.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I vote Serial Killer since we should finish up Santa Monica. Also because I hate the person you're going to have to deal with at Vesuvius, and I know it's not in Melissa's nature (:v:) to be as rude to them as I'd like.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I vote serial killer, because I can't remember who it is.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Syncopated posted:

I vote serial killer, because I can't remember who it is.

I can't quite remember myself (and I just finished that plotline yesterday!), but I don't think the serial killer is actually a "character" (for lack of a better term). He just sort of appears for his own plotline, is dealt with, and then just goes poof.

Go to the strip club - those quests are a lot more interesting than the serial killer plot IMO.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

TheMcD posted:

I can't quite remember myself (and I just finished that plotline yesterday!), but I don't think the serial killer is actually a "character" (for lack of a better term). He just sort of appears for his own plotline, is dealt with, and then just goes poof.

Not entirely true. He's actually in the diner toward the beginning of the game and you can talk to him. If you're a Malkavian a voice whispers to you when you talk to him, but I've never been able to make out what it says.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PureRok posted:

Not entirely true. He's actually in the diner toward the beginning of the game and you can talk to him. If you're a Malkavian a voice whispers to you when you talk to him, but I've never been able to make out what it says.

Right, I forgot about that part. Still, it's not like he says anything relevant or something like that, he's just there and pissed off.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Romeo Charlie posted:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Whoever decided that Flynn should sell the baton is an unsubtle filthy genius.

edit: and i guess the knife makes sense too but play safe kids

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Serial killer. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because the next story mission is the worst part of the game and pumping XP into Fortitude before you do it can make it marginally less painful!
The serial killer quest was really hard until I figured out a way. I'll wait until gatz shows it to us before I'll go into details, though.

We've already went all over L.A. for the serial killer, might as well chase that goose a bit more.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

My vote is for the Serial Killer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Go wrap up that serial killer business before he wrecks anything.

Also get a little more XP before heading into the next area. Which will probably be very easy to LP to be honest because there's not much to say about it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Gonna have to go with Serial Killer just to wrap that up. Then go to Vesuvius.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

The thread has decided. We are heading back to Santa Monica to wrap up the serial killer quest.

Sure, why not?

But while we're there, let's check in on a few friends. The first is Mercurio, our great weapons supplier. We last asked him to check with his contacts, see what he could get for us. That was a while ago, so he should have something now.

There's a problem, however. We can no longer enter his apartment. Opening the doors does nothing -- the game just doesn't load the appropriate area. We're stuck. I attribute this to installing the 9.0 version of WESP5's patch.

So we have to use the console to teleport into the area. Finding the right combination of commands to use took more time than I would have liked, by the way. There's changelevel, and then there's changelevel2. The first removes all of your equipment and money upon teleportation. That's not all, however, since there's also sm_apartment_1, and then there's sm_apartment_1b. Teleporting to 1b, using either changelevel or changelevel2, removes all of your items and money. It's only the combination of changelevel2 and sm_apartment_1 that does the trick.

Uh... or not. It's all dark. Did Melissa suffer her final death? Is she dead, Jim?

Oh, no, she's not. We just spawned waaaaay below the actual level geometry. We have to noclip up.

Wait, what's that room off to the side?

Yes, that is who you think it is. In every area where you can turn on the news, the anchor is spawned somewhere outside of the regular geometry.

Back on track, here's Mercurio. He was only on the beach to meet us before we shipped out to the Elizabeth Dane. Now he'll be at his apartment from here on. I guess he never bothered to clean the blood away for old times sake. "The first time I met Melissa". Okay, maybe not.

Last time we asked him about a bunch of different weapons. He came through on one. Not selling him out is totally worth it.

Let's see it.

This is (probably) the best shotgun in the game. Very lethal at close range. It has a semi-automatic function, in addition to single-shot, but that's only useful for boss fights and the like. We're buying it and filling up our ammo supply. There's a reason why I have money saved up, and that reason is that there's nothing else to buy. Let's chat more with Mercurio.

You're lucky. Can I ask you about the sheriff?

Big, silent, stone cold palooka. Never seen 'im in action but I hear things. Hear he's the last thing you see if you get on LaCroix's bad side. Say he fights like the devil. Not the kind of guy I'm gonna look in the eye, you know what I mean?

How about Nines?

Nines? Nah, I never actually met him, but I've been hearin' about him for years. His operation's crude, but those anarchs are mad-dog vicious when they need to be. City's full of 'em. They're none too friendly with the Camarilla, so be careful around 'em.

Understood. Tell me about Hollywood.

Hollywood's been good to me. Lot of my business comes from Hollywood. Guy named Isaac runs the show. Real legend. Camarilla's got no presence to speak of there. Stop by the graveyard. Good customer o' mine works it.

Nothing we didn't already know. Thanks, Mercurio. We'll check back in with you later.

The next person(s) are at the Asylum.

Therese still has the gun in her hand, even though she supposedly gave it to us back in part 12.

Good evening.

What's going on in Santa Monica?

Oh, let me tell her!

Be my guest.

Therese has officially sided with the Camarilla. Could be a prince, one day. And I -

- just happened to find the pendant from the Ocean House.

Congratulations. If you ever need a favor, find me. Goodbye.

Nothing particularly new with them. We knew that Therese had Camarilla aspirations from the beginning. It was only a matter of time until she acted on them.

The last familiar face we're going to see is Bertram Tung.

He doesn't have anything new to say, but for some reason, we can now interact with his computer.

We could have done this earlier in the game, before we ended his feud with Therese, but that required a lockpicking skill higher than we had at the time. Usually with Bertram here, we can't interact with his computer. I'm not sure why we can now. Maybe it has to do with WESP5's 9.0 patch.

We're checking his email first. The password is tung. Well, nobody said he was original.

1 posted:

<Subject> I want to see you soon
<From> Jeanette

I'm bored. Can't you come entertain me? I'm at the club....
XOXOXO

If he did go, Bertram Tung might have used his... nevermind.

2 posted:

<Subject> Run away!
<From> Jeanette

Bertie, the stick-in-the-mud is mad. You better lie low for a while....

Jeanette sure like ellipses. Just the like the teenager she pretends to be.

The other section of Tung's computer is his notes on Santa Monica. The password is obfuscate.

asylum posted:

Run by vampiric sisters. I like Jeanette better than Therese. :drac: :gizz:

gallery noir posted:

There is a back entrance in the alley. Weak pipes between parking structure and alley could be broken off.

That's how a Nos would've entered the gallery, using those pipes.

Anyway, now to the main event.

Our man apparently left his business card at the last scene of the crime. Why he did this, I don't know. We'll just have to ask.

Remember, we met this guy back in the diner. He's a vampire. Why would he do this? Kill people so gruesomely? He's breaking the masquerade, putting us all in danger.

Wha--

:wesp:

This small building really has nothing to it.

Somebody must have had fun coming up with these magazine covers.

Outside, there are two stereotypical junkyard doges. WESP has trapped them behind a locked fence.

Behind us, the path lies blocked with crates -- the biggest foible of any video game protagonist.

Jumping up to look beyond the crates, we find the Santa Monica Slasher!

He kicks the car body in the air, crushing the crates. Getting hit in the wrong way here can result in instadeath.

We continue the chase...

...and the slasher kicks another car, another attempt at killing us.

Another failure.

And another.

He then kicks a stack of car bodies at us, yet this too fails to damage us.

Up ahead...

An explosion. He knew we were coming. No way he just had that trap lying around.

Regardless, we continue unscathed.

His final trap thwarted, the Santa Monica Slasher stands silently in wait.

(Here, half the time, a moment triggers where the player no longer controls the protagonist. The PC walks slowly to the left, then, and the Slasher runs forward to meet them. Here, that didn't trigger, so we walk up to him and speak.)

"Vampire"? He must be caitiff.

Tell me why you did it.

Why the hell do you care? I don't give a drat if you understand.

All the same, I'd love to hear your explanation.

Come to think of it, have we heard anything about his motives?

Part 16 posted:

[. . .] Somethin' about revenge for what he did or what they did. Th-the killer made sure the dead guy knew who he was, and then ripped him open... uh, just tore him apart. He did it real slow; made the guy scream.

That explains why the kills were so brutal -- it was personal. Yet, the fact that they were such an open display of a vampire's power only endangers other kindred that had nothing to do with whatever happened.

You broke the Masquerade and risked the safety of every Kindred.

You think your bullshit vampires rules means a goddamn thing to me? Nothing matters to me.

Don't you want someone to know your story? Tell me.

So killing people made you feel better?

Not one of them paid! My whole family dead, my life gone. I'm supposed to let that happen!?!

I understand.

I tracked them down. Hunted them. One by one, caught them all. The one you saw in Hollywood, he was the last of them.

Muddy. Kilpatrick had a bounty out on him, and a job for us. No way we can report it now. It's also worth mentioning that this message:

Part 15 posted:

Mr. Milton, you know who this is, and I do hope you realize that we're still on for tonight. Meet me at the agreed-upon location across from the bar by the underpass. Bring your associate, Mr. Durbin, as it is a two-man job I am proposing. With any luck you two are already on your way and I shall see you soon. Goodbye.

was sent by the Slasher. Same voice. He set them up -- hunted them like prey. All for revenge.

And so your revenge is complete.

Revenge. Justice. Whatever you want to call it. All I thought about is taking these evil animals, ripping them to shreds and licking their blood from my claws.

Justice. A vigilante. A serial killer that only kills killers. We're dealing with a vampiric--

Let me step in here.

Dexter! What are you doing here?

Oh, you know. Just here to offer some advice.

...Which is?

I think you should go easy on the Santa Monica Slasher, here.

Huh? Why? See yourself in him?

What? Not a chance! Much to sloppy. Too public. Too open. Rule number one, remember? Harry would never approve. Still, he was just doing what he thought was right. For his family. ... Don't be too harsh.

Oh yeah, Harry and the code. Hey, wait a minute, didn't you have a revelation at the end of season 2, where you--

SURPRISE MOTHAFUCKA!

Don't any of you motherfuckers dare post Dexter spoilers, in or out of tags. I just finished season 2. Don't tempt me.

You got them. It's over. You can get on with... life.

I don't know. Butchering those bastards was the first time I've felt anything since my family was torn from me. I'm sure there are others out there whose crimes have gone unpunished.

That's the Beast talking. It has a hold on you.

At least I put it to use! How many vampires have used their abilities for a just cause? At least I did something!

Maybe, but you lost control... and have to be dealt with.

Believe it or not, we actually gained humanity from that last option. This only makes sense in context--the third option was to attack the Slasher unprovoked.

There are really two ways this can go: peacefully, or a bloodbath. The third option actually makes us fail the quest, ending it immediately without any experience gain. No sense in doing that. I'm letting the thread decide the ultimate fate of the Santa Monica Slasher. He did it for justice, to avenge his family. And we might be able to convince him to stop entirely. But remember, this is what his justice looks like:

Parts 4, 16, and 26 posted:

gatz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 3, 2014

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
So go ahead and vote. Exercise your civic duty. By the way, I'm going to show off both options, since something special happens which is worth showing off. I also found an odd third option which i'll show off, not sure if it was intended or not.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Talk him down. Dude's got claws and can throw cars two stories up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

"tung" and "obfuscate"... I swear to Christ, Bertie, you should have your Nosferatu badge revoked for passwords like that. poo poo, even Therese, a loving Malk, managed a half-way decent one given the circumstances and time period with "1baroness3".

Then again, password security in this game is pretty much non-existent, both in the "make your password hard to guess" variety and in the "don't loving leave your password out in the open" variety.

Anyway, as for the Slasher, take him down. He betrayed the Masquerade several times over, and the punishment is death.

EDIT: Also, if I recall correctly, the game gets snarky in the quest log if you let the Slasher go - which actually happens fairly rarely. I recall two other times being when you give Jeanette the pendant and when you sell the thinblood at the beach a bunch of stupid crap and then send him on a suicide trip.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 3, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Show him true justice! Or at least barbaric retributive action! Kill him.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: Also, if I recall correctly, the game gets snarky in the quest log if you let the Slasher go - which actually happens fairly rarely. I recall two other times being when you give Jeanette the pendant and when you sell the thinblood at the beach a bunch of stupid crap and then send him on a suicide trip.

Yes. The failed quest log says: "You let the serial killer go, thereby allowing his killing spree to continue unchecked. I hope you feel good about yourself." Very fable-esque. I don't think you can walk around Los Angeles wearing a dress and carrying a big hammer, though.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
"And yet. I will root out the bad seed. I will weed out the worst of you. I will prune my dark tree, in the manner that my Father, Adam, taught me."

Do it by the book (of Nod). Send him to Final Death.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

gatz posted:

Yes. The failed quest log says: "You let the serial killer go, thereby allowing his killing spree to continue unchecked. I hope you feel good about yourself." Very fable-esque. I don't think you can walk around Los Angeles wearing a dress and carrying a big hammer, though.

Some of the Malk outfits come pretty close though :haw:

Also finish him. A masquerade risk with understandable motives is unfortunately still a masquerade risk.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think that the wesp patch or one of the previous versions gives you more xp for talking him down peacefully. So put that mad dog down.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
The experience gain is the same -- a measly 2 XP -- for both outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Your life and the life of many undead people depends on the masquerade. Kill him.

Edit: Wait, you can talk him out of it?? Crap I thought the choices were "kill" and "let go". In that case I change my vote, TALK HIM OUT OF IT!

That will teach me to skim-read.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread