Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I hope Bronn decides that he hates his super posh new life acting nice with all the miserable nobility and would rather whore and kill. He swoops in to rescue Tyrion from the gallows as the A-Team theme plays in the background. Bronn cuts through a bunch of red shirts, he and Tyrion hop on a fast horse and make haste for... somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Aristobulus posted:

One thing I am curious about - after Oberyn's death pissed so many people off, if Tyrion does die in the next 2 episodes - how many people will actually stop watching the show for good?

I feel like Oberyn dying probably did cause at least a few people to give up, and caused more to be on the edge of giving up. Tyrion is a lot of peoples favorite character, and him dying so soon after the gut punch that was Oberyn may just be more than a lot of people can take.

It may actually be bad business sense to kill Tyrion, is what I'm getting at, if it causes the viewer base to plummet.

Personally, GRRM could literally do a "rocks fall, everyone dies and Joffrey rises as a zombie" twist and I'd keep watching because sunk costs, but not everyone feels that way.

Tyrion was the only reason I kept watching during Season 2 and just zoned out whenever Theon, Dany, or Robb were on screen. I would have stopped watching if GRRM killed him off then but the show has done a good enough job with Arya and Littlefinger's plots that I'll keep watching.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Aristobulus posted:

Eh...Ramsey didn't exactly get rewarded for torturing Theon, he got rewarded for recapturing the fort. Theon was just how he did it, true, but he probably would've got the same reward if he had found another way.

Remember that when he first shows off Theon, Roose is angry at him for flaying Theon because he ruined Theon's value as a hostage.

I still don't understand people LIKING Ramsey or anything, or being like "it was so moving watching him be praised by his father", though.

True, and I really liked that his father was originally pissed at him for what he did, although I understand that was a result of the loss of value as a hostage as you said and not out of some moral reasoning. I don't know, I just hate watching torture, I can't stand the Saw movies for the same reason. Brutal deaths aren't too bad because they're normally quick and you have the knowledge that it's all tv to lessen the impact. Watching Theon and Ramsey though is just disgusting to me, it makes me feel really dirty to watch.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

PantsBandit posted:

True, and I really liked that his father was originally pissed at him for what he did, although I understand that was a result of the loss of value as a hostage as you said and not out of some moral reasoning. I don't know, I just hate watching torture, I can't stand the Saw movies for the same reason. Brutal deaths aren't too bad because they're normally quick and you have the knowledge that it's all tv to lessen the impact. Watching Theon and Ramsey though is just disgusting to me, it makes me feel really dirty to watch.

It is brutal to watch, I will give you that. However, I feel like it was necessary to A) establish what kind of character Ramsey truly is and B) explain how truly hosed in the head Theon is now. Those scenes were very tough to watch, but I feel like they weren't over the top and I went from absolutely hating Theon to now feeling terrible for Reek :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

Those scenes were very tough to watch, but I feel like they weren't over the top

He literally cut off his dick and ate it. I mean it's GoT so it's sort of the nature of the beast but not over the top?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

PantsBandit posted:

He literally cut off his dick and ate it. I mean it's GoT so it's sort of the nature of the beast but not over the top?

He didn't eat it, he sent it to his father and sister :confused:

They didn't show it either, we just knew that Ramsey cut off his dick. If we are talking about this from a pure gore perspective, we have seen much, much worse from this show than Theon's physical torture imo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

He didn't eat it, he sent it to his father and sister :confused:

They didn't show it either, we just knew that Ramsey cut off his dick. If we are talking about this from a pure gore perspective, we have seen much, much worse from this show than Theon's physical torture imo.

Wait, really? This whole time I assumed that the sausage in the infamous gif was supposed to be Theon's dong.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Wait, really? This whole time I assumed that the sausage in the infamous gif was supposed to be Theon's dong.

That was a pork sausage :dong:

e:

He lead Theon to believe it was his dong, and he was playing mind games for sure but it wasn't actually it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Durzel posted:

I too don't really understand why the books have to be considered sacrosanct. They're not historical accounts, Weiss & Benioff's screenplay is just as valid as GRRMs fiction, and there's no shame in the former being merely inspired by the latter. The real problem though is that if they deviate too far from the books then they're into fiction writing territory rather than adaptation and I'd imagine they've got more than enough on their hands just adapting the books as they exist now.

Of what I understand of the books, and I haven't read them but have heard brief accounts from those that have, there are a few strands of the show that have already deviated considerably from them. Not killing principal characters would mean Weiss & Benioff would then be on their own in terms of writing additional scenes for them, unless they make them fly back to their home planet.

I read the books and they definitely don't have to be considered sacrosanct. The first 3 are amazing, but Martin started losing his touch with A Feast for Crows (the 4th) and never really got back to his best shape. I don't know how the last 2 will turn out but he's written himself into a corner more often than not lately, so I kind of expect more of the same. W&B are in a pretty unique spot: the story has already been told once and even the staunchest fans admit some character arcs are simply not salvageable anymore, but guess what, they can just change what they don't like and make it work. I was a huge fan of the books but now I hope they do drastically change stuff because Martin's excuse "no one's central to anything/no one's safe" sounds dumb when your narrative rhythm turns into complete poo poo on its account.

However, no, I wouldn't say the show has really deviated "considerably" from the books. Judging by what they changed/anticipated for certain characters (don't forget the show's gone into a grey territory where it's a bit spoilery for us book readers as well!) the seeds to do something different with the story have been planted, but it's all in the hands of Weiss and Benioff.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Theon torture stuff was and is pretty stupid, and is basically a hosed up coming of age story for Theon. If you think no one ever gets their comeuppance wrapped in a bow in this show, you point to that arc.

"An immature character who thinks with his dick and acts like an rear end in a top hat to everyone? Wait for it--he gets his dick cut off and becomes an emasculated, tormented babyman! It's like poetry, it rhymes."

Name Change fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Regy Rusty posted:

Get hosed Sansa haters.
I never hated Sansa. I hated anyone who wrote a character with no agency at all for 37 episodes. She's picking up pace now, but she coulda made fewer appearances along the way. Imagine if Rickon Walnutsbane had been in every episode to date.

No More Heroes posted:

Dolorous Edd actually had some pretty cool lines too!
The last one to die, please turn out the lights :black101:

Toplowtech posted:

GRRM is Orson, the beetles are the characters, Tyrion is the TV watchers.
Then who is the wet nurse?

And who is the mule?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am honestly shocked, and obviously some percentage of you people are lying, that anyone could not know what is coming up on this show. We're watching episodes based on a book which is over a decade old, and the sole reason the internet exists is to spoil and troll, so how did anyone not know the result of the fight?
The Moderators :colbert:
I'm very nearly 100% unspoiled on the entire show, start to finish. Never touched a GRRM book in my life. poo poo happens in these episodes and I don't see it coming. It's loving wonderful.

Roland Jones posted:

That's why the whole "Myrcella going to another wherever" thing was important. Sending her on a vacation wouldn't have been big enough to work for Tyrion's plot. The other possibilities were marrying Robyn (I think), and... I forgot, some other person. But, yeah. There's more keeping her gone than Tyrion wanting her out of King's Landing.
The third person was Theon Greyjoy. Varys found the idea about as dubious as we do now.
I still think back to Cersei's recent "Here's a fancy ship, take it to Myrcella for me please" bit and think there's something big going on there. Trojan Ship?

precision posted:

I think it's because Iwen Rhoen is such a good actor. Whenever he's not actually torturing people, it seems like he (and I) forget that he's probably literally the most evil gently caress in the entire show.
Someone help me out here. I know next to nothing about British accents, but do Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Bolton) and Matt Smith (The 11th Doctor) have the same accent? There's a resemblance on more than one level that's REALLY throwing me off, like he's actively aping elements of that Doctor's mannerisms or something.

MeccaPrime posted:

Brienne of Tarth confirmed for the next Star Wars movie
As Chewbacca?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stonefish posted:

I never hated Sansa. I hated anyone who wrote a character with no agency at all for 37 episodes. She's picking up pace now, but she coulda made fewer appearances along the way. Imagine if Rickon Walnutsbane had been in every episode to date.

I stand by my original statement.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

quote:

One problem as a book reader is that you develop a very personal attachment to the story as it is told and to your interpretation of that story. In a film/tv adaption, the slightest digression from its source, from the the choice of actor to the minute technical details involved in transforming words on paper into flesh and blood individuals, is like stomping all over the connection a reader has already established with the story.

Kind of like killing off popular characters in super contrived situations? I don't think they really care about that exactly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vehementi posted:

super contrived situations?

What super contrived situations? :/

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Steve2911 posted:

What super contrived situations? :/

"Ok ok check it out, so Frey wants to kill this guy, so he's going to invite them to his place under other pretences yeah? But wait hold on, he's not going to kill anyone at first in the easy ambush circumstances, he'll instead break bread to ensure that everybody in the land hates him subsequently: they're going to have a super long wedding first to give the Starks ample opportunity to uncover the plot, but all the guards, see, are going to perfectly keep the secret and not hint anything, but still be able to act with perfect synchroneity and knowledge of everything, and also all the Stark guards are going to be away and in position to ambush all of them at once, and we're going to play the lannister song first to warn everyone poetically, and and and ..." + getting the writer for Scream to write the "mountain comes back from choking on his own blood" scene

(you asked)

Just saying, GRRM's writing gimmick is to

quote:

stomping all over the connection a reader has already established with the story.
so I don't think anyone's going to give two shits if they adapt the plot in some way that deviates from the books.

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 3, 2014

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
I've avoided this thread for fear of spoilers so I apologize since this was probably asked before. The fight between Obyren and the Mountain was a tie right? So why was Tyrion found guilty? Or is that how it works?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

twitter and bisted posted:

I've avoided this thread for fear of spoilers so I apologize since this was probably asked before. The fight between Obyren and the Mountain was a tie right? So why was Tyrion found guilty? Or is that how it works?

It wasn't a tie. Crushing Oberyn's skull required Gregor to be alive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah The Mountain seemed like he won that pretty "handily"

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

twitter and bisted posted:

Death by exploding head is like rock to Oberyn's spears scissors.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the first to die loses. That is the guy with his brains on the outside. Beaten like a guy bringing a spear to a plate armor fight.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Vehementi posted:

"Ok ok check it out, so Frey wants to kill this guy, so he's going to invite them to his place under other pretences yeah? But wait hold on, he's not going to kill anyone at first in the easy ambush circumstances, he'll instead break bread to ensure that everybody in the land hates him subsequently: they're going to have a super long wedding first to give the Starks ample opportunity to uncover the plot, but all the guards, see, are going to perfectly keep the secret and not hint anything, but still be able to act with perfect synchroneity and knowledge of everything, and also all the Stark guards are going to be away and in position to ambush all of them at once, and we're going to play the lannister song first to warn everyone poetically, and and and ..." + getting the writer for Scream to write the "mountain comes back from choking on his own blood" scene

(you asked)

so I don't think anyone's going to give two shits if they adapt the plot in some way that deviates from the books.

The Red Wedding was based on a historical event. If you want to complain about it being contrived, remember art was just imitating life. Also, I was talking about establishing a connection with a story, not with the characters. As much as you may hate it, the death of the characters, gimmick or not, is the story.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Wait are we sure Oberyn is dead

What if he's just sleeping

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BubbleGoose posted:

The Red Wedding was based on a historical event. If you want to complain about it being contrived, remember art was just imitating life. Also, I was talking about establishing a connection with a story, not with the characters. As much as you may hate it, the death of the characters, gimmick or not, is the story.

They probably didn't do a good job of selling this, but they also wanted to go in for the kill when all the soldiers were drunk and useless, not when they were on edge and anticipating some sort of retaliation when they first walked in.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I think the first to die loses. That is the guy with his brains on the outside. Beaten like a guy bringing a spear to a plate armor fight.

I can't believe that this simple concept has confused so many people - it's been asked literally dozens of times since the episode ended.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Max posted:

They probably didn't do a good job of selling this, but they also wanted to go in for the kill when all the soldiers were drunk and useless, not when they were on edge and anticipating some sort of retaliation when they first walked in.

I think it was pretty obvious. A wedding, guest right, you think you're cool with this guy, of course you're going to let your guys drink. And of course drinking is going to lower your defenses. This wasn't contrived, it was a trap, and an extremely effective one, which is why guest right was so highly regarded in the first place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vehementi posted:

(you asked)

Yeah guest right completely nullifies this wall of shite.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

BubbleGoose posted:

I think it was pretty obvious. A wedding, guest right, you think you're cool with this guy, of course you're going to let your guys drink. And of course drinking is going to lower your defenses. This wasn't contrived, it was a trap, and an extremely effective one, which is why guest right was so highly regarded in the first place.

Not to mention all the events that lead up to and ultimately resulted in the Red Wedding. But yeah, totally contrived :rolleyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

To get away from this discussion for a bit, they should send Bran and pals to the same place they sent Osha and Rickon: off the show forever because his plot is stupid and boring.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

BubbleGoose posted:

Like it or not, to a lot (most?) people, the characters drive or are the story.

quote:

It's easier to understand when you recognize that GRRM's gimmick is to make it seem like one thing is happening and then suddenly destroy that. And in most of the cases (Joffrey suddenly deciding to execute Ned, grand conspiracy theory red wedding, near dead guy springs back to life to murder, etc.) the way it is executed is just absurd.

Just like there were 100 ways they could have done Oberyn dying without it being a laugh out loud "haha they pulled the TV trope of the completely incapacitated guy getting the best of the 'winnner'" situation, Frey could have done a wedding ambush in 100 other ways that weren't "Okay, we're going to have this huge conspiracy where our 500 soldiers know to strike at exactly the same time and we're going to hope nobody has a qualm with this and tips anyone off and and and ..."

Why bother with a giant wedding - did they need the drunk advantage to kill Robb's 10 dudes in the keep throne room? For a guy who apparently doesn't care at all that he just ruined his house name for all time, you think he would just sacrifice 5 extra soldiers to kill Robb right off the bat without all the insane risks of a gigantic wedding conspiracy plot. For me, the red wedding was surprising because the situation was so ludicrously contrived, not because they killed Robb. When I zoom out and look at the overall situation (you were expecting Robb to avenge Ned and now hope is crushed), it's great. Just the execution was laughable here.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Vehementi posted:

(you asked)

You literally don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I don't even know how to respond to this other than feel free to stop watching the show if it offends your superior television drama producing abilities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vehementi posted:

Why bother with a giant wedding - did they need the drunk advantage to kill Robb's 10 dudes in the keep throne room? For a guy who apparently doesn't care at all that he just ruined his house name for all time, you think he would just sacrifice 5 extra soldiers to kill Robb right off the bat without all the insane risks of a gigantic wedding conspiracy plot. For me, the red wedding was surprising because the situation was so ludicrously contrived, not because they killed Robb. When I zoom out and look at the overall situation (you were expecting Robb to avenge Ned and now hope is crushed), it's great. Just the execution was laughable here.

Uh, the plotters also had to kill the thousands of Stark troops camped outside the keep with a numerically inferior force.

So most "plot holes" and "tactical realism" gripes are people literally not paying attention to the words and images coming off the screen, right?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

quote:

Uh, the plotters also had to kill the thousands of Stark troops camped outside the keep with a numerically inferior force.

The whole idea of the bridge is that you can't take it by force. Kill dudes in throne room, close the door, proceed to previous situation of "the army can't take the bridge" but now with "the army doesn't have a leader".

Shath Hole posted:

I don't even know how to respond to this other than feel free to stop watching the show if it offends your superior television drama producing abilities.

I'll feel free to discuss it here - if critiquing baby's first fantasy novel hurts your sensibilities maybe you can leave?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Vehementi posted:

I'll feel free to discuss it here - if critiquing baby's first fantasy novel hurts your sensibilities maybe you can leave?

The only thing hurting my sensibilities is your horrible posting. Feel free to not discuss it here and do the rest of us a favor? That'd be greaaaaaaaaaat.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Vehementi posted:

The whole idea of the bridge is that you can't take it by force. Kill dudes in throne room, close the door, proceed to previous situation of "the army can't take the bridge" but now with "the army doesn't have a leader".

Yes, dealing with an army beseiging your castle indefinitely seems a far superior option to just killing them you are a very smart individual.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

People were commenting earlier on Sansa's new goth look, but I got the impression she was just dressing in black to go to the funeral (Littlefinger and Robyn were in black as well). She was certainly exhibiting a new found confidence but I don't think they were tying to show she had changed into evil Sansa or anything.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Quinch posted:

People were commenting earlier on Sansa's new goth look, but I got the impression she was just dressing in black to go to the funeral (Littlefinger and Robyn were in black as well). She was certainly exhibiting a new found confidence but I don't think they were tying to show she had changed into evil Sansa or anything.

I apologize if I missed it (this thread moves quick!) but didn't her hair seem black as well? I don't think it means evil Sansa either, the black outfit would make sense for the funeral but the hair kinda threw me unless it was just poor lighting.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Vehementi posted:

Like it or not, to a lot (most?) people, the characters drive or are the story.

And so are/do their deaths. Why is this hard to understand?

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Shath Hole posted:

I apologize if I missed it (this thread moves quick!) but didn't her hair seem black as well? I don't think it means evil Sansa either, the black outfit would make sense for the funeral but the hair kinda threw me unless it was just poor lighting.

Yes http://imgur.com/gallery/cFsjkYa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vehementi posted:

It's easier to understand when you recognize that GRRM's gimmick is to make it seem like one thing is happening and then suddenly destroy that. And in most of the cases (Joffrey suddenly deciding to execute Ned, grand conspiracy theory red wedding, near dead guy springs back to life to murder, etc.) the way it is executed is just absurd.

That 'gimmick' is called a plot twist and is in pretty much every single interesting story out there. The execution in the show is absurd because much of what is implied or guessed at comes across better in literary form.

Vehementi posted:

Just like there were 100 ways they could have done Oberyn dying without it being a laugh out loud "haha they pulled the TV trope of the completely incapacitated guy getting the best of the 'winnner'" situation, Frey could have done a wedding ambush in 100 other ways that weren't "Okay, we're going to have this huge conspiracy where our 500 soldiers know to strike at exactly the same time and we're going to hope nobody has a qualm with this and tips anyone off and and and ..."

Oberyn was looking for a confession out of the Mountain to implicate Tywin in the death of Elia. That's why he incapacitated him. Oberyn is also a swarthy headstrong guy who thinks nothing bad can happen to him because he lived a life on the edge without any real troubles. His own over-confidence kills him (there's more to it too but it's spoilerish). The Red Wedding was also done in that way because Frey lured a bunch of really good warriors into a trap and basically got them drunk and lowered their guards down. Frey was using his own army and family members to ambush hundreds of well armed soldiers so understandably he wanted to keep the casualties on his side to a minimum. Also an out in the air ambush against Robb could have let Robb escape, which would have been way loving worse for Frey in the long run.

Vehementi posted:

Robb's 10 dudes is Robb's hundreds of dudes in the books. The TV series can't jam a hundred extras in the scene to make it more believable to you. I'm not sure why you think it's contrived. He lured his enemy into a trap and killed him, it's pretty bog-standard stuff.

I mean you should really learn how hard it is to be TOTALLY REALISTIC in a series with a budget. What, do you want them to build the pyramids of Mereen instead of using CGI or something too?

• Locked thread