Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

It is not really that bad when it is in good shape, but it usually all looks fine up till the moment when every key has fallen off and the whole wall falls apart at once.

I have torn multiple tons of that poo poo out of my house and I'm not even done yet.

The amount of debris and dust that plaster demo produces exceeds the original quantity by a factor of 2 or 3. It is awesome to behold, and the dust is impossible to eliminate.

Do it. Just demo one small, closet-sized bathroom. Then prepare for a lifetime of dust.

I rewired my entire house. The ceiling fixtures were done using strategically-placed 3" hole-saw cuts through the floor of the attic, and feeding line down to the switches inside the walls.

Insulated from outside, cutting through asbestos and a solid inch of fir to to so.

gently caress disturbing 90-year-old plaster.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Doing demo is so much fun but then you look around at the mess and you start to wonder if you could get away with just burning the place down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DNova posted:

Doing demo is so much fun but then you look around at the mess and you start to wonder if you could get away with just burning the place down.

Oh believe me... I know. :suicide:

Speaking of which. Here is what happens to a perfectly good 1890 house when 120 years of loving muppets and JAFHOs own it. And don't believe in silly things like maintenance or replacing failed roofs.

Water flows downhill. Guess where it ends up if your roof fails?

This entire wall was converted from weight bearing to non weight bearing by neglect, rot, and carpenter ants. The end of that cut sill beam looks solid but is almost entirely rot and powder.

This structural kind of damage is the one thing I didn't want to deal with in a house. Oh well, guess it was bound to happen.

E: groverhaus, structural sillsoil, etc etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 2, 2014

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Of course there's a chainsaw involved. Of course.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My roofing construction textbook just casually tells reader to check the condition of their chainsaw before every cut. It was published in 1984 but hey

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The shelf was made out of something similar to melamine; not very nice looking. I bought a cheap cabinet and laminate countertop to put in instead, and today I went in to remove the old stuff and install the new. Turns out the previous installer had glued the sidesplashes and backsplash to the walls, rather than caulk them to the countertop.
Unattached side- and back-splashes are glued to surface. Then sealed are caulked. Edit: Then filled with ants. Thanks for the reminder.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooWh_1U9Ew

What's with the comments on DIY videos? Yeah, I know it's youtube, but every idiot who has ever seen a tile floor feels compelled to share their poorly-written opinion on why everything is done wrong.

I imagine 95% of the commentors there are the type of contractors that do the sort of work that Holmes has to tear up.
Some of the comments are legitimately calling them out for using liquid nails instead of thinset, not enough screws in cement board and unnecessary use of grout release solution. But the video was made for people who wants to learn how to do their first tile floor, and it will teach you better than some contractors out there. The comments that make fun of the cheap tools are loving insufferable and completely missed the point of the video.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 2, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In my experience, unattached back splashes are glued and caulked, and then filled with ants.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MrYenko posted:

In my experience, unattached back splashes are glued and caulked, and then filled with ants.
Also, seeded with genuine DuPont cockroach eggs. Accept no substitutes

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

PainterofCrap posted:

The amount of debris and dust that plaster demo produces exceeds the original quantity by a factor of 2 or 3. It is awesome to behold, and the dust is impossible to eliminate.

Do it. Just demo one small, closet-sized bathroom. Then prepare for a lifetime of dust.

I rewired my entire house. The ceiling fixtures were done using strategically-placed 3" hole-saw cuts through the floor of the attic, and feeding line down to the switches inside the walls.

Insulated from outside, cutting through asbestos and a solid inch of fir to to so.

gently caress disturbing 90-year-old plaster.

I need to have blow-in insulation installed in a similar manner, because in my case "gently caress disturbing 75-year-old plaster". Presumably you're re-siding the house and therefor comfortable drilling holes like this? You doing it yourself or hiring a contractor?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This is season 2 I think, and I can't find season 1 on youtube, and the season 2 videos have horrifically bad choppy audio that makes them unwatchable. Did you find them hosted somewhere else?

I found Season 5 on youtube and goddamn, would it have killed the uploader to do something better than 240p? I'm learning a lot from the pros (and a lot of 'what not to do' from the handymen), but gently caress.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Werle posted:

I need to have blow-in insulation installed in a similar manner, because in my case "gently caress disturbing 75-year-old plaster". Presumably you're re-siding the house and therefor comfortable drilling holes like this? You doing it yourself or hiring a contractor?

I did it myself four years ago, and kept the siding. Including all of the saw blades, blower rental & insulation, it was about $500. I used 2-sizes of hole saws. I had to use (about six) diamond-tipped for the asbestos shingle; this was with a 2" dia. blade. Once I was through that, I saved the asbestos disc, then cut through the fir Dutch lap and the fir sheathing with a regular 1-1/2" blade. This left a 1/4" shoulder to glue the siding back on.

Once the chases were filled. I used adhesive silicone to glue the wood plug back in the hole, then a paintable adhesive caulk to secure the asbestos discs back in place. After a couple follow-ups with caulk, I touched up the paint (I had painted the house about 5-years previous).

I love asbestos shingle. This stuff was installed around 1950. It's incredibly durable - it'll outlast me, the house, the current geologic era...it just has to have the right shade of paint on it.

When we bought the house in 1992, it was...

...blech. (prepping to paint in 2005)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Coasterphreak posted:

Of course there's a chainsaw involved. Of course.

Yup.

Heavy duty demolition means I'm getting out the fuckin' chainsaw. In fact I have a specific chain I use that's mostly knackered already specifically because it'll still go through half rotten wood just fine... and I don't care how many rusty flat nails I run it into on the way through.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Patchwork Shaman posted:

If you like Holmes on Homes, don't forget to look for Holmes Inspection and Holmes Makes it Right.

I really lost interest in his show (H on H) when it turned into "Mike fixes small cosmetic problem with millionaire's home". I was hoping he would do more episodes of new home owners who got a seemingly good house only to find out that there are real issues and they can't cope with them financially. Instead it's a bunch of yuppies in McMansions who are pissed because the contractor didn't install the Italian marble tiles right "and if you look over along this wall, you can see that the floor is 2mm out of square in this 30' run". Also it seems as the show progressed, it turned into "Mike hires 30 different contractors and only spends 2 minutes of actual air time in the home".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Leperflesh posted:

Have you guys seen that show filmed in Vegas with that guy who is a huge dick and his interior designer wife he's a huge dick to (but she has no concept of staying inside a budget) who buy, fix up and flip houses?

Flipping Vegas.

I want to kick that guy in the balls every time he opens his mouth. Or mentions his loving Porsche.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Flipping Vegas.

I want to kick that guy in the balls every time he opens his mouth. Or mentions his loving Porsche.

Oh jeez, I caught like two episodes of that once when nothing else was on and I was bored and I almost instantly developed a seething hatred of that power-tripping rich jackass.

Yeah let's scream and throw a tantrum because the tile installers aren't installing tile as fast as you want. Oh no you went over budget by $500, you'll only make $19,500 instead of $20,000, time to yell at and beat your wife!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

drillung into asbestos

I want to avoid bringing up a derail of safe handling practices, but I am wobdering why it seems like everything was made out of asbestos. I can understand pipe wrap and fireproofing but why cement tiles? Does it make them lighter?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh jeez, I caught like two episodes of that once when nothing else was on and I was bored and I almost instantly developed a seething hatred of that power-tripping rich jackass.

Yeah let's scream and throw a tantrum because the tile installers aren't installing tile as fast as you want. Oh no you went over budget by $500, you'll only make $19,500 instead of $20,000, time to yell at and beat your wife!

Yeah I mean occasionally you get a sense that the show producers are goading him on or even that some bits are scripted (and if it's at all typical of reality shows, it's heavily scripted) but he berates his wife constantly, he's rude to his own workers, and it's hard to feel sympathy for his worry that he might lose money on this one when he drives up in his garish, incredibly tacky porsche or (I think the current season) lamborghini.

On the other hand, every house he buys needs renovation and they do actually show a fair amount of the reno work. I also like to see what his wife comes up with as designer accents and stuff. It's hard to put up with that dick but the show's format is a bit different from the other "reality renovation" shows I've seen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I want to avoid bringing up a derail of safe handling practices, but I am wobdering why it seems like everything was made out of asbestos. I can understand pipe wrap and fireproofing but why cement tiles? Does it make them lighter?

Asbestos is really an amazingly durable and versatile structural material. Before we knew it caused cancer, it was used in drat near everything because of those properties. It was cheap, sound dampening, fire resistant, heat resistant, chemical resistant, electricity resistant, and strong.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

CopperHound posted:

It was the wonder material of it's time. When asbestos rose to real prominence there were no plastics, no aluminium. It's competitors were wood and steel. As a building material asbestos had many advantages: light, fireproof, and very resistant to wear.
My parents have a garage and workshop with a roof made of asbestos. It's 70 years old and will probably never have to be replaced.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
According to a geology teacher I had asbestos pretty much is a wonder material and only a certain form of the mineral carries a risk of cancer. If we could just use only the correct crystals it would once again be a safe wonder material. Basically there's a few types of asbestos and only 1 rarer type has crystals that are the right shape to gently caress up your lungs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The rest still gently caress em up, but just not as fast.

Asbestos is great as noted... except the whole asbestosis and mesothelioma thing. Not so great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I mean occasionally you get a sense that the show producers are goading him on or even that some bits are scripted (and if it's at all typical of reality shows, it's heavily scripted) but he berates his wife constantly, he's rude to his own workers, and it's hard to feel sympathy for his worry that he might lose money on this one when he drives up in his garish, incredibly tacky porsche or (I think the current season) lamborghini.

On the other hand, every house he buys needs renovation and they do actually show a fair amount of the reno work. I also like to see what his wife comes up with as designer accents and stuff. It's hard to put up with that dick but the show's format is a bit different from the other "reality renovation" shows I've seen.

That particular show is very heavily scripted to the point where he just buys the houses as backdrops for scenes.

Yes, I'm sure your experienced install guys just happened to get butterfingers and drop your expensive granite countertops on the garage floor after your wife went 2x over budget picked out the last piece of some rare rock. :rolleyes:

I like the reno shows and think most of them are very entertaining, but Flipping Vegas and Property Wars are some of the worst scripted shows out there.

Also I want to hate Flip or Flop because the couple on the show are so incredibly good looking but they seem like nice young people and they do renos in my area.

I mean look at how drat good looking these people are:

Also the guy had thyroid cancer and a registered nurse who was watching the show saw the a lump, called the producers and saved his life.

I watch a lot of HGTV and DIY channel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Flip or Flop isn't bad but the guy loving grinds my gears. He is all

"OH GOD IF WE DON'T MAKE THIS SALE WE'LL LOSE EVERYTHING".

There was another flipping show that took place in Florida, I believe, and that couple cut so many corners holy poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This was forwarded to me by my wife. Her employer is testing the idea of issuing everyone iPads to write on-site / on scene.

One of the reasons that it's a lovely idea is summed up in the photo:

:doh:

One of the types of claims her employer handles: workplace injuries. Presumably, they're fairly well-versed in OSHA regs with respect to ladders, scaffolding, height access issues, etc.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
I think that this fits this thread.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

According to a geology teacher I had asbestos pretty much is a wonder material and only a certain form of the mineral carries a risk of cancer. If we could just use only the correct crystals it would once again be a safe wonder material. Basically there's a few types of asbestos and only 1 rarer type has crystals that are the right shape to gently caress up your lungs.

As far as I can tell from the googles, some kinds of asbestos are worse than others, but they all pose significant cancer risks when rendered into dust and inhaled.

All the boiler pipes and such in my elementary and middle school were covered in asbestos insulation. It was an instant out of school suspension to go loving with any of the pipes, and even a few entire WALLS in the building because of asbestos.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Micr0chiP posted:

Is this that one guy that spends tens of thousands of dollars to defame little giant ladders on YouTube?

Edit; Found him

https://www.youtube.com/user/bahamascott/videos

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

SocketSeven posted:

As far as I can tell from the googles, some kinds of asbestos are worse than others, but they all pose significant cancer risks when rendered into dust and inhaled.

All the boiler pipes and such in my elementary and middle school were covered in asbestos insulation. It was an instant out of school suspension to go loving with any of the pipes, and even a few entire WALLS in the building because of asbestos.

They were doing renos at my high school to put a new wing on, turn the old cafeteria into the band room etc, and we wound up with 2 days out of school cause the contractor hosed with the asbestos so bad that they had to have a special clean up crew take care of it.

Also I wish I still had the pictures of it, but I used to live in a crappy Toll Brothers not quite McMansion (it was a 4bd on a quarter acre in a cookie cutter overpriced suburb. The nice thing was we bought it for 350 and sold it for 750 7 years later.) and everyone in the neighborhood had something go wrong. Ours was the kitchen cabinets weren't screwed into the studs, so we put one too many dishes in one and an entire cabinet came off the wall. it wasn't even like packed to the gills, just a normal amount of dishes and BOOM. Sounded like a truck driving through the kitchen wall. Another neighbor had a wavy rear end floor from the floor joists not all being the same size, etc. We all bought in while they were still under construction, so we never got a chance to look at the finished product until after we closed. (the wavy rear end floor was the model home and they covered it with carpet so it wasn't really really noticeable until they took the carpet off to put in hardwood. It was only an inch or so across the length of the room, and they had enough sense to put all the short ones at one end, so it was more of a slope than a wave, but it was still a contractor gently caress up.)

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 6, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I'm moving from a rental apartment to a rental home. The apartment was owned by the local slumlord property company, who take great pleasure at trying to screw people (especially international students) out of deposits and charge them for normal wear and tear costs. It's gotten so bad that they no longer charge deposits on some properties, just a doubled 1st month's rent.

The new place I'm moving into is a tiny 2br house with a basement. The landlord is hard to get ahold of, but much better than the local company. He's swapping an old fuel oil furnace for an electric one, and hopefully going to take care of some of the property issues I found when doing a walkthrough. Things like missing siding, a power strip spliced directly into exposed electrical cable, exposed electric cable ends, a leaky (through a couple of cracks) foundation, and a broken ceiling fan for a porch light. On the plus side, he's open to me doing some improvements on the house, which I'll post in the other threads around here for advice.

I'll try to get pictures up on Sunday of my discoveries.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Micr0chiP posted:

The empty bomber really fits.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

dyne posted:

Well, it's frequently 4" at the machine. I think I would run 6" under the slab. I think that's the recommended diameter for runs through the workshop.

7 inch minimum if you have any real machines and be sure to ground the PVC and use the softest curves with no 90deg elbows. 7" from your DC to usually 5"-7" at pre planned machine locations preferably with a way to shut off flow to each to conserve suction because you can't run it with them all open.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

AA is for Quitters posted:

It was only an inch or so across the length of the room, and they had enough sense to put all the short ones at one end, so it was more of a slope than a wave, but it was still a contractor gently caress up.)

The condo/apartment I live in has uneven floors that tilt toward the outer walls. All the walls are vertical, but if you look behind a taller bookcase you'll see it touches the wall at the top while the bottom is a couple of inches away from the molding. On the other side of the room it's the opposite; you can push the bookcase up against the molding and the top is a couple of inches off the wall.

Did they just not have a goddamn level on hand when they put in the floor joists?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's not a question of what is legal, it's a question of how much can they steal from you before you decide to spend $300/hr just to talk to a lawyer. And contract law is archaic, confusing and one sided, when you signed the lease you really did give them your first born child.

Let's keep this as construction not "everyone thinks they know the law." I've taken two landlords to court over landlord bullshit and it didn't cost me a dime. They had to pay my lawyer fees. PM me if you'd like to know more but even if you think you can't get or afford a lawyer, you can.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not an Anthem posted:

7 inch minimum if you have any real machines and be sure to ground the PVC and use the softest curves with no 90deg elbows. 7" from your DC to usually 5"-7" at pre planned machine locations preferably with a way to shut off flow to each to conserve suction because you can't run it with them all open.

Curious, how do you ground PVC? It doesn't conduct electricity. I know WHY you want to ground it (static buildup, because it doesn't conduct) but not how. Some sort of conductive spray? A bleeder wire along it that drains the static charge as it builds up? Both?

To be clear, I am not calling BS on what you said, I agree it is a very good idea, just not sure of the method to use.

E: story relating to this. I used 2 inch pvc conduit and elbows to make an extension for my shopvac when I was vacuuming all the rockwool out of my attic a few years back. The static buildup was immense. You could feel the charge from 6 inches away because all the hair on your arm would stand straight up. It was intense enough that the crackling sounded like a MIG welder and the conduit glowed and flickered in the dark from the sparking. The vacuum filled up and I went to climb down through the access port alongside the conduit with the vacuum still running. A sound like a rifle shot rang out, 4 feet of the conduit flashed bright blue, a spark jumped 4-6 inches to my left arm and I felt like I had been shot.

... I added a drain wire (bare copper wrapped loosely around the conduit from one end to the other) and grounded it, and the shocks I got after that were more like what you're used to in winter.

So basically, a nonconductive tube with airborne nonconductive dust/abrasive/powder rushing through it is BAD NEWS. In fact it amounts to building your own van de graaf generator. The shocks you get hurt like a motherfucker and with wood dust it could easily pose a fire/explosion hazard. You want to ground your vac system and you want to do it well.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 7, 2014

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Worth the wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlMbr1pnRc

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Today my house is Crappy Construction.

It decided to rain like hell today, bad enough that I've got 3" puddles in the driveway and the grass is turning into a lake. My roommate, who owns the place, sealed the basement walls a couple years ago after having the mortar re-pointed to stop them leaking.

Apparently he missed a spot under the basement stairs. I heard water running in the basement just now, and came down to find a half-inch diamter jet of water coming out of the masonry work three feet above the floor, shooting a good several feet. :stare:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'll be glad this is the worst of the issues at my parents' place.

A few years ago they had the old electric heater replaced by a gas furnace. This is the tale of the condensation removal pump.

Here's the pump. The duct tape residue on the hose will be important later.

The copper line goes up into the roof. Weird, but ok.

There's the other end, where it drops down the wall.

Aaand the exit.

The end of this was visible in the second photo:

When it freezes out, the tiny bit of water in the little exit stub will also freeze, and then a stalagmite type thing happens, eventually blocking the pipe. The pump will then slowly fill the entire line, eventually pressurizing it, at which point the joint between the copper and PVC begins to leak above the ceiling right there. It also takes a good chunk of a day to get to that point, so a short overnight freeze doesn't do it, so it's only a problem during the annual week or two of hard freeze. I wound up visiting during the one last year and noticed the problem and they wound up with that hose duct taped to a bucket that had to be emptied every day or so. Tempted to route it to the washer drain that's about 5 feet away so it never happens again.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Javid posted:

Tempted to route it to the washer drain that's about 5 feet away so it never happens again.

Why the gently caress wasn't this done in the first place? Some code issue? Condensate water is clean. There is no reason it should have to be pumped outside of the dwelling like that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Probably code, I haven't read ours but in some places that's a thing.

My current place has a single-knob setup to control the water in the shower/tub, and it works about like this:

I can't even make the gradient part small enough. It's seriously cold to scalding in about 3/8" of rotation. You can't hand-adjust it, gotta get it close and tap it lightly with something to get it in the exact arc-minute that's tolerable. I can't even keep anything in the soap dish above it because it will fall on the lever and try to roast me.

This is in contrast to how it was when I moved in, with the water heater set so low that I couldn't even coax comfortable water out of the thing at all, and the lovely low-flow showerhead's half-assed dribble would still suck up all the "hot" water in ten minutes.

Javid fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 8, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

When I moved into my place it had a mixer like that. Two months later it started leaking (water dripping through light fixure was rather alarming! Glad that for once I'd bothered to find the mains tap prior to moving in.) The Plumber said that both problems were due to a cheap fixture and replaced it, life has been much more pleasant since. (cheap fixtures would certainly be in line with the rest of the house.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

Probably code, I haven't read ours but in some places that's a thing.

My current place has a single-knob setup to control the water in the shower/tub, and it works about like this:

I can't even make the gradient part small enough. It's seriously cold to scalding in about 3/8" of rotation. You can't hand-adjust it, gotta get it close and tap it lightly with something to get it in the exact arc-minute that's tolerable. I can't even keep anything in the soap dish above it because it will fall on the lever and try to roast me.

This is in contrast to how it was when I moved in, with the water heater set so low that I couldn't even coax comfortable water out of the thing at all, and the lovely low-flow showerhead's half-assed dribble would still suck up all the "hot" water in ten minutes.

Are you Uli???

Seriously though that image describes all of the single handled sink faucets I have ever come across. People be like ":razz: But it's sooo easy you can turn it on with one hand!" and I be like "But you never get loving warm water!"