Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One bit of advice... Encode anything native 24fps as such, but encode interlaced video as NTSC (29.98). If it's a PAL source, encode as 59.98fps.

This saved some of my PAL videos and interlaced sources without looking jagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Violator posted:

I watched Ace Ventura 2 the other night but I didn't see one of my favorite scenes: as Ace is fighting someone, he strikes some sort of big blow, turns around to face the camera (with his back to his opponent) and with eyes closed and mouth clenched he lets out a big breath while shaking. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I could have sworn it was during the tribal fight against the little guy, but I can't find it. Was it in another movie?

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think that happens in Dumb & Dumber, when he's having the dream sequence where he beats the poo poo out of the chef.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Violator posted:

I watched Ace Ventura 2 the other night but I didn't see one of my favorite scenes: as Ace is fighting someone, he strikes some sort of big blow, turns around to face the camera (with his back to his opponent) and with eyes closed and mouth clenched he lets out a big breath while shaking. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? I could have sworn it was during the tribal fight against the little guy, but I can't find it. Was it in another movie?

This might actually be from Batman Forever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

poonchasta posted:

This might actually be from Batman Forever.

It's darn simple, my boy; ball up a fist, reach way back, and assert yourself!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Was 'The Producers' the first mainstream / Hollywood movie to treat Hitler and the Nazis as a subject for comedy?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Was 'The Producers' the first mainstream / Hollywood movie to treat Hitler and the Nazis as a subject for comedy?

The Great Dictator

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

scary ghost dog posted:

The Great Dictator

To Be or Not To Be, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

regulargonzalez posted:

It might be the first post war one though, which is definitely something. When the Great Dictator came out, there weren't 6 million dead Jews and 400 thousand dead Americans.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This is from the 1933 Looney Tune Bosko's Picture Show:

That's the same cartoon where Bosko shouts out "The dirty gently caress!" and miraculously got past censors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qu9zrYCP0

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Skwirl posted:

It might be the first post war one though, which is definitely something. When the Great Dictator came out, there weren't 6 million dead Jews and 400 thousand dead Americans.

Yeah, I should have clarified that this is what I meant. Seems like the first movie poking fun at the circumstances surrounding the holocaust could only be made by a Jewish director, much as China could have only been opened by Nixon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When did the 3 Stooges short You Nazty Spy come out? Because I think it may predate The Great Dictator.

It's also one of the funnier Stooges shorts, IMO.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
There's a British film called Gasbags which came out a year before To Be Or Not To Be and features a concentration camp filled with Hitler lookalikes who refused to work for him as a body double.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When did the 3 Stooges short You Nazty Spy come out? Because I think it may predate The Great Dictator.

It's also one of the funnier Stooges shorts, IMO.

It beat it by a few months, it's officially the first Hollywood production to mock the Nazis. They should've gotten a medal.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Am I going crazy or is there a John Carpenter cut that sounds a lot like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RumGGxvSrHo

I'm thinking maybe the beginning of Escape from New York but I dunno?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
That little 'beep beep ba beep' sounds pretty similar to the baseline in a number of his scores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1b79pU-goI

Maybe Assault on Precinct Thirteen?

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

The instrumentation sounds a lot like Christine. (around 4:30 in Sheldrake's video).

Man, Christine rules. Doesn't get talked about a lot, but it's fantastic, and one of Carpenter's best scores IMO.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I posted some stuff about my game here for those interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638266

There's a few movie questions at the bottom of it too, though not very interesting ones.

I just saw There Will Be Blood for the first time yesterday. Great film, though the twin brothers confused me. I guess I didn't catch it being referenced so I was rather bewildered by the change in character. But I'm pretty bad in that regard. Watching The Departed a few weeks ago I didn't realise Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio's characters were different people until the scene in the erotic cinema. I was really confused about the character's motivations until that point. This ever happen to anyone else or am I just really bad at faces?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sirocco posted:

I posted some stuff about my game here for those interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638266

There's a few movie questions at the bottom of it too, though not very interesting ones.

I just saw There Will Be Blood for the first time yesterday. Great film, though the twin brothers confused me. I guess I didn't catch it being referenced so I was rather bewildered by the change in character. But I'm pretty bad in that regard. Watching The Departed a few weeks ago I didn't realise Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio's characters were different people until the scene in the erotic cinema. I was really confused about the character's motivations until that point. This ever happen to anyone else or am I just really bad at faces?

I've heard people say that before about The Departed, so you're not alone, but it's loving bewildering to me that people can't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. Someone posted an online face-blindness test on these forums before, you might try googling for something similar.

In There Will be Blood it's the same actor, and it isn't explicitly referenced by the movie (I don't think anyone ever says "twin") so confusion is pretty understandable.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Skwirl posted:

I've heard people say that before about The Departed, so you're not alone, but it's loving bewildering to me that people can't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon. Someone posted an online face-blindness test on these forums before, you might try googling for something similar.

In There Will be Blood it's the same actor, and it isn't explicitly referenced by the movie (I don't think anyone ever says "twin") so confusion is pretty understandable.

The best part is the look of confusion on Daniel day Lewis' face when he realizes that they are twins.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sirocco posted:

I didn't realize the main female role in That Obscure Object of Desire was played by two actresses until I read about the film after watching it. IDK that it necessarily adds anything, as even before that knowledge it immediately shot into my all-time top 10, but it made me want to rewatch it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sirocco posted:

This ever happen to anyone else or am I just really bad at faces?
Gotta admit I am surprised you were confusing those two actors in particular, but I had this issue with Deadwood. Really liked the show, but there were a few characters that I constantly mixed up.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I could tell them apart afterwards, but yeah I was genuinely baffled by the movie up to that point. Why, I wondered, is this person doing his best to be secretly undercover in one scene and then brazenly visiting a police station in the next? I did feel pretty dumb when it eventually dawned on me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A surprisingly large number of goons seem to be really really bad at recognizing faces.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm looking for a movie called "No Place Like Home", directed by Perry Henzell (who also directed The Harder They Come). It hasn't been released on DVD or VHS or anything, to the best of my knowledge. Does anyone have any idea where I can find it?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sirocco posted:

This ever happen to anyone else or am I just really bad at faces?

Matt Damon may have just been joking during an interview but apparently he and Mark Wahlberg have a standing arrangement that if fans mix them up they just run with it.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

For anyone who could not tell Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio apart, do not watch Infernal Affairs. You will not be able to tell anyone apart from anyone else. Although I thought it was a pretty good twist when I found out that Tony Leung and Andy Lau weren't the same person.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

poonchasta posted:

For anyone who could not tell Matt Damon and Leonardo Dicaprio apart, do not watch Infernal Affairs. You will not be able to tell anyone apart from anyone else. Although I thought it was a pretty good twist when I found out that Tony Leung and Andy Lau weren't the same person.

Oh come on, all Asians look alike now? Andy Lau looks nothing like Tony Leung.

Hmm, now I got an urge to watch Infernal Affairs again though, it's been a while.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Senso posted:

Oh come on, all Asians look alike now? Andy Lau looks nothing like Tony Leung.

Hmm, now I got an urge to watch Infernal Affairs again though, it's been a while.

I think it was all Caucasians looking alike.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

I think this counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBgpFENBIw0

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

WastedJoker posted:

American Psycho comes to mind.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

WastedJoker posted:

Wolf of Wall Street

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

WastedJoker posted:

Fight Club

edit: The Sixth Sense

edit: oh oh! Rashomon

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the earliest film I can think of with an unreliable narrator. Other good examples that haven't been mentioned yet are Taxi Driver, The Usual Suspects, The Informant, Shutter Island, A Tale of Two Sisters, Memento, A Beautiful Mind and to a lesser degree Goodfellas and Big Fish.

Kubrick's Lolita might be an example, if it's anything like the book.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Identity and Mulholland Dr come to mind. Big Fish may also count.

e: I think there are probably two main categories for unreliable narrator; those where the narrator is deliberately being unreliable, and those where due to circumstance the narrator is unintentionally unreliable. The second is much more common -- basically every film where amnesia or where the protagonist themself doesn't know what's going on (Identity, Fight Club, Sixth Sense, etc). Mulholland Dr I think would fall into the former category, though it's debatable.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 3, 2014

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

WastedJoker posted:

F for Fake kind of has something like this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Usual Suspects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Brothers Bloom I think?