Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

evol262 posted:

That's God telling you to use vim.

I use vim for the server work I do :3

No but in all seriousness, I just feel that with the "überhardware" Apple provide, they should have stuck in something a bit faster than a 5400rpm disc. Even if it is 1TB...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Westie posted:

I use vim for the server work I do :3

No but in all seriousness, I just feel that with the "überhardware" Apple provide, they should have stuck in something a bit faster than a 5400rpm disc. Even if it is 1TB...

Margins, motherfucker, do you speak it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

Margins, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Not to mention battery life.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spog posted:

Based on their history I would expect that if they genuinely wanted to reveal a vuln, they would go into it in great technical detail that mere mortals like me wouldn't be able to understand.

It may be that the vuln means that old containers are easily broken, and since patch it would reveal what it was, and there's some number of encrypted containers in the hands of bad actors ...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Battery life is very important in the iMac

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Pissing me off today: how incredibly fussy the Dell R310 is about ram. I'm using one to run CfgManager and the rest of the System Center suite but needed more ram to make MS SQL Server happy. Long story short, I learned the hard way that the R310 cares about the DIMM chip size and rank width which I find absolutely absurd.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2014

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I had a scare this morning when I generated my weekly virus scan report: a 337-page PDF with 2,910 threats! I skim the list, and I see all of the “infected” files are things like Office stationary templates, help files, and other benign things. The report is very basic and doesn’t tell you what kind of infection it is, just things like the filename, computer, timestamp detected, and whether it was successfully removed or not.

I check the global virus vault, which gives me more information on the infections. Sure enough, they aren’t infections, but information line items stating that the file was in the exclusion list and therefore not scanned. In other words, the opposite of an infection. The whole idea of exceptions is that engine is specifically told not to scan certain areas and filetypes so that they DON’T show up on reports.

For gently caress's sake, the heading of that window even says 'Viruses'. And it proceeds to list things that are not viruses.

We use the corporate version of AVG and just recently upgraded to the latest program version as well as their cloud-based management console. There’s no way to customize the reports to exclude informational items. In fact there’s no way to customize the reports at all besides changing the logo in the header. The old locally-hosted management console program was cumbersome, but it at least had breathtakingly advanced features like being able to choose what my reports included.

If you use AVG at your work, hold off on upgrading to their cloud platform. It’s a substantial downgrade in terms of removed features. And I can only guess that I’ll find even more stupid bugs as I continue to use it.

I sent in a ticket to AVG to at least express my displeasure at the absurdity of logging informational line items as threats, but they don't seem to be comprehending the issue at all:

quote:

After further investigation we noticed that there aren't any exceptions created in the cloudcare portal. Perhaps this could be why these files are being detected.

:hurr:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

5400 vs 7200 has been shown to have an immeasurably small impact on battery life that is likely offset and then some by faster operation.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

ratbert90 posted:

Battery life is very important in the iMac

(don't particularly like empty quoting on the grey forums)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What is it with cloud providers assuming their small engineering departments can write a half dozen stock reports and calling it a day. Either expose the data to an enterprise reporting platform or roll your own, but don't assume your engineers are good report developers. (They're probable terrible report developers.)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ynglaur posted:

What is it with cloud providers assuming their small engineering departments can write a half dozen stock reports and calling it a day. Either expose the data to an enterprise reporting platform or roll your own, but don't assume your engineers are good report developers. (They're probable terrible report developers.)

As a support tech for a SAAS package, I really wish we didn't let people make their own reports, since they are too loving stupid to do it without hand holding. Our reporting platform is, I will admit, less than stellar, but its pretty loving easy to figure out, and between it and Excel you can do whatever you're likely needing to.

If people ever loving try to do it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Maybe we can both agree that most business people and cloistered engineers are equally terrible at creating reports, and that doing so is a skill in and of itself.

Other than that, if your SaaS platform only provides stock reports with no customization, I want nothing to do with it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe we can both agree that most business people and cloistered engineers are equally terrible at creating reports, and that doing so is a skill in and of itself.

Other than that, if your SaaS platform only provides stock reports with no customization, I want nothing to do with it.

All there with you.

We do have customization, kind of. But, yeah. Its one of the oldest pieces of the platform to not get revised yet, but so many of our clients have so many custom reports they've created with it, if we re-built it, and it broke some of them...yeah. I'd cry :P

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Why do Lenovo make it so hard to find older versions of their drivers? Can't find them anywhere, and I need to try an older sound driver as we aren't getting sound out of the onboard speakers on M92p desktops.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Carpet posted:

Why do Lenovo make it so hard to find older versions of their drivers? Can't find them anywhere, and I need to try an older sound driver as we aren't getting sound out of the onboard speakers on M92p desktops.

Have you tried this link yet?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_DK/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=HT073728

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I have thanks, but as far as I can tell, it only shows the latest version, and not any older ones

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Carpet posted:

I have thanks, but as far as I can tell, it only shows the latest version, and not any older ones

Can you use a generic driver for the OEM of the soundchip, and not the Lenovo-specific one?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Carpet posted:

Why do Lenovo make it so hard to find older versions of their drivers?

Curse every company that does this. A thousend tigers apund their head!

Server space isn't expensive, so there's no excuse not to make all their old drivers available. ALL of them - if I want the DOS software that came with an ATI card from 1988 then it should be right there on ATIs website. gently caress this trend for removing anything older than 3 years and pretending it never existed.

:argh:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sweevo posted:

Server space isn't expensive, so there's no excuse not to make all their old drivers available. ALL of them - if I want the DOS software that came with an ATI card from 1988 then it should be right there on ATIs website. gently caress this trend for removing anything older than 3 years and pretending it never existed.

gently caress Oracle in particular. As soon as they bought Sun, literally every single BIOS update and ILO firmware for Sun products got put behind a paywall.

Want a more recent ILO firmware to fix Sun's lovely ILO code? BIOS on that Netra you bought on eBay not playing nice with Linux? Too bad, :20bux: because Larry Ellison's yacht is running low on gold leaf toilet paper.

e: Not to say you can't just :filez: it, but still.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sweevo posted:

HP has 'fixed' things that resulted in things no longer working with updated firmwares. I think the idea is they want to ONLY support the latest and greatest and not some mishmash of previous versions.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

HP has 'fixed' things that resulted in things no longer working with updated firmwares. I think the idea is they want to ONLY support the latest and greatest and not some mishmash of previous versions.

The odds are on their side; when the latest and greatest only lasts 11 months before it has a meltdown event, why bother devoting any resources to legacy devices?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Irrationally, it irritates me when I get an e-mail like this:

To: All Users
Cc: Some other distro group

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

evobatman posted:

Can you use a generic driver for the OEM of the soundchip, and not the Lenovo-specific one?

It's a Realtek chip, so we could try that. We've got in touch with our Lenovo rep anyway now, to see if they can help us out

edit: the issue did come about after updating to the latest Intel HD graphics driver* with display audio, but not sure why that would have affected the onboard speaker

* we had cursor issues with the previous driver where it skipped frames on certain display elements like drop down boxes and text fields

Carpet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 2, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

You don't have a rule to delete mail that was sent to All Users?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Carpet posted:

How has your experience with them overall compared to Dell? We are about to switch to Lenovo because our Dell rep is useless and the time it takes to get the correct equipment in seems to be taking longer and longer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AlternateAccount posted:

Almost as if people have rules and filters that affect where email is sent in certain situations...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

You don't have a rule to delete mail that was sent to All Users?

Volmarias posted:

Almost as if people have rules and filters that affect where email is sent in certain situations...

No? It looks like I am spoiled. ALL USERS e-mails are pretty rare and tend to be not a complete waste of resources here...

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I've been using PDQInventory to do some data gathering that my stubborn-as-an-ox teammate refuses to do succinctly. The only issue I'm running into, is that its taking a huge amount of time to hit every machine in our workstations OU, and on top of that, it seems that some of the machines aren't responding for reasons other than being powered off.

I assume there is a .net framework requirement for WMI to pull this info then? If so, I may have to twist some titties to get our half-dead hampster of a WSUS admin to push that poo poo out over the weekend.

Also, I've taken a liking to quoting Dennis Nedry during our morning status meetings.

Dennis Nedry posted:

"Oh, ah…I finished debugging the phones,ah, you know, I was gonna, so I did, ah, ah I debugged the phones. I thought maybe I should tell ya that the system’s gonna be compiling for, ah, 18 to 20 minutes some of the minor systems, they might go on or off but it’s ah, nothing to worry about, just a simple thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

slightpirate posted:

So I've been using PDQInventory to do some data gathering that my stubborn-as-an-ox teammate refuses to do succinctly. The only issue I'm running into, is that its taking a huge amount of time to hit every machine in our workstations OU, and on top of that, it seems that some of the machines aren't responding for reasons other than being powered off.

I assume there is a .net framework requirement for WMI to pull this info then? If so, I may have to twist some titties to get our half-dead hampster of a WSUS admin to push that poo poo out over the weekend.

Also, I've taken a liking to quoting Dennis Nedry during our morning status meetings.

You can push the .net frame work to the machines through the app. Select the machines in question, go to the computer menu, and choose the option to push it.

There is also other issues that will pop up. I ran into some issues with random windows 7 machines not wanting to give up info when everything seemed okay. I had to manually turn on network discovery on those machines to get it to take.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It's Monday of my third week. My job does not directly involve server troubleshooting and diagnostics. I don't know much about how things are configured or how stuff gets around yet. What's that? A server with a down interface on the other side of the country and you want me to fix it? Uhhhhhhhhhhhh. You have people that work full time in that site, why are you calling me!?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

slightpirate posted:

PDQ Inventory has a nice little collection called "Requires .NET to scan" included by default.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
The license for the software I am using was working last Monday. Last Tuesday it gave me a host name error. It worked yesterday morning, but since yesterday afternoon has been giving a host name error again.

Literally nothing has changed with the machine during this time. Every one of our regional contacts to the company is out of office for at least the next 6 days, according to their autoreply messages.

I could just explode, right here on the spot.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Just heard that a company I used to work for went to discretionary time off for people at manager and above. This means there is no vacation pool, you can take vacation according to the needs of the business, ie, never. Most management people, due to time in grade, have at least 4 weeks vacation. While they are not allowed to roll it over, by this time they may have 2 weeks accrued. The company has stated per their lawyers, they do not need to pay out for any vacation lost.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Just heard that a company I used to work for went to discretionary time off for people at manager and above. This means there is no vacation pool, you can take vacation according to the needs of the business, ie, never. Most management people, due to time in grade, have at least 4 weeks vacation. While they are not allowed to roll it over, by this time they may have 2 weeks accrued. The company has stated per their lawyers, they do not need to pay out for any vacation lost.

I suspect that company is about to lose a lot of management. Holy poo poo - Talk about a gently caress you.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What is discretionary time off? Like, you can take time off if business is slow?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's amazing. They could have gone around the company and personally given everyone a punch in the face and it would have been less of a gently caress you than this.

If that's for managers, I'm guessing vacation for non-managers means "you'll still be working, but we'll give the guy hired to repeatedly punch you in the kidneys some time off."

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
The folks that are affected by this are management level. Since they are managers of the business, they know when is appropriate to take vacation.

This is all the direction they have so far. Cynically, this is a ploy to get more US based managers to leave. Most people at management level have a lot of vacation time, due to being 15 + years with the company. Some folks are only staying because getting 4-5 weeks vacation a year is incredible for the US. This company also has a history of saying, 'oops, we didn't hit our numbers, no raise for you.' So I am sure taking vacation will be frowned upon if things are not 100% perfect, and they never are.

FYI, most non managers were told a while ago to pack up their stuff because their job is being outsourced.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ijustam posted:

What is discretionary time off? Like, you can take time off if business is slow?

It means that you have to have it approved. The first job at had was a helldesk job for CSC. They actually had a policy where they would "black out" entire months. This means that when they broadcasted (IE: guessed) that they would have heavy call volume for a time period they would remove those time periods from the system to be used for vacation so that they would be fully staffed. Most of the time it meant that if you didn't already put in your vacation for this time period you would not be able to put in for it. Sometimes it meant that if you had approved vacation for that time that they might also revoke it. There were also policies that you couldn't schedule PTO time more than 90 days out yet these blackout periods could happen at any time.

So if you were saving what little pto you had to take time off for a vacation in the summer, you had to wait until 12:01am 90 days before the time and HOPE that it wasn't going to get blacked out. They also regularly blocked out the entire month of NOV and DEC each year but it would always be a "surprise".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off today: Unwieldy 50+gig git repositories. It should be half that size at LEAST.

I am cleaning it right now, but even with a SSD it's slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

It means that you have to have it approved.

It's even worse than that. Since these are management types, they don't have a time system, so there are no blackouts or anything like that. They can take time off as long as they, as a manager, feel that their decision is in the best interest of the company.