Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

I apologize if I missed it (this thread moves quick!) but didn't her hair seem black as well? I don't think it means evil Sansa either, the black outfit would make sense for the funeral but the hair kinda threw me unless it was just poor lighting.

Thats a good point, I thought it was just the light though personally. Guess we'll find out next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

drat, I already miss the red. I also took the black clothes to mean mourning, but Robin's not dressed in black. Maybe because he's a lord now and doesn't have to?

The 'little bird' and the 'mockingbird' do look badass in their coordinating outfits.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Shath Hole posted:

I apologize if I missed it (this thread moves quick!) but didn't her hair seem black as well? I don't think it means evil Sansa either, the black outfit would make sense for the funeral but the hair kinda threw me unless it was just poor lighting.

It is to symbolize that her character has changed. She isn't that innocent girl anymore. She is starting to see the bigger picture, and become a player in the game. It isn't meant to mean she is evil anymore than the other characters.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Sophie Turner is a pretty young lady, but I think having her hair pulled back is probably the worst look for her head shape, and it's a shame that it's basically always pulled back in the show.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

It is to symbolize that her character has changed. She isn't that innocent girl anymore. She is starting to see the bigger picture, and become a player in the game. It isn't meant to mean she is evil anymore than the other characters.

Yeah, that is how I read it as well. I personally dig the look, and am looking forward to seeing where this LF/Sansa plotline goes.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Doltos posted:

That 'gimmick' is called a plot twist and is in pretty much every single interesting story out there. The execution in the show is absurd because much of what is implied or guessed at comes across better in literary form.

Oberyn was looking for a confession out of the Mountain to implicate Tywin in the death of Elia. That's why he incapacitated him. Oberyn is also a swarthy headstrong guy who thinks nothing bad can happen to him because he lived a life on the edge without any real troubles. His own over-confidence kills him (there's more to it too but it's spoilerish). The Red Wedding was also done in that way because Frey lured a bunch of really good warriors into a trap and basically got them drunk and lowered their guards down. Frey was using his own army and family members to ambush hundreds of well armed soldiers so understandably he wanted to keep the casualties on his side to a minimum. Also an out in the air ambush against Robb could have let Robb escape, which would have been way loving worse for Frey in the long run.

Robb's 10 dudes is Robb's hundreds of dudes in the books. The TV series can't jam a hundred extras in the scene to make it more believable to you. I'm not sure why you think it's contrived. He lured his enemy into a trap and killed him, it's pretty bog-standard stuff.

I mean you should really learn how hard it is to be TOTALLY REALISTIC in a series with a budget. What, do you want them to build the pyramids of Mereen instead of using CGI or something too?

He lured his enemies into a super unbelievable and unnecessary conspiracy, not merely "a trap". Are you saying that in the book there were 100+ Stark soldiers in the throne room that they couldn't show? And that Frey actually sent out people to attack the Stark bannermen camps in open field in hopes that they were all drunk and would fall over in a massacre? That seems like an even more unnecessary plan than I originally understood. From what I remember they ambushed the various Stark soldiers inside the keep, and without a leader the bannermen disbanded afterward (they made a point of saying this in the show). The real risk is as you said - chance of Robb escaping - but that seems pretty negligible compared to "one of my hundreds of random soldiers not keeping the huge conspiracy a secret and then I lose everything".

I fully get the context of the Oberyn situation and everything that happened. Like a half a dozen people have pointed out in this thread, they could have "had his hubris kill him" without it being "lol prankt, the guy with a hole in his chest choking on his blood got up".

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Like it or not, to a lot (most?) people, the characters drive or are the story.

Why bother with a giant wedding - did they need the drunk advantage to kill Robb's 10 dudes in the keep throne room? For a guy who apparently doesn't care at all that he just ruined his house name for all time, you think he would just sacrifice 5 extra soldiers to kill Robb right off the bat without all the insane risks of a gigantic wedding conspiracy plot. For me, the red wedding was surprising because the situation was so ludicrously contrived, not because they killed Robb. When I zoom out and look at the overall situation (you were expecting Robb to avenge Ned and now hope is crushed), it's great. Just the execution was laughable here.

Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't notice this in the other responses. The reason it was a giant wedding wasn't just to ambush Robb. Frey wanted his house, through Roslin, to have a claim to Riverrun through her future children with Edmure. They needed a legitimate wedding to make that official. It's the same reason Sansa was married to Tyrion. Simply wiping out your enemy's army doesn't give you a claim to their territory.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
No, he collapsed the giant party tents and set them on fire. (Really)

Also, actually going through with the wedding was important to Frey; he'd wanted to have his line married into an important house for a long time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ It was also the easiest way to get them there. Also the only way that they would trust them was to do the guest rights poo poo, since they had a good reason to think they would betray them, since Robb broke his word.

BubbleGoose posted:

drat, I already miss the red. I also took the black clothes to mean mourning, but Robin's not dressed in black. Maybe because he's a lord now and doesn't have to?

The 'little bird' and the 'mockingbird' do look badass in their coordinating outfits.

Didn't they mention before her red hair is a distinctive feature? It could be to hide it since she is wanted for the death of the king

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
People in that land respect a ruse wedding where a house is massacred? They made a huge loving deal about how Frey's house's name is ruined forever for breaking the guest rule. It seems super far fetched anyone would be convinced that this wedding was legitimate, not under duress, or not invalidated for a dozen reasons like "they killed all the guests", much less care about any claim House Frey makes from now until the end of time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vehementi posted:

People in that land respect a ruse wedding where a house is massacred? They made a huge loving deal about how Frey's house's name is ruined forever for breaking the guest rule. It seems super far fetched anyone would be convinced that this wedding was legitimate, not under duress, or not invalidated for a dozen reasons like "they killed all the guests", much less care about any claim House Frey makes from now until the end of time.

The name is ruined but they have the support of the Lannisters so it is valid.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
So I guess the beetle-smashing anecdote was a statement about GRRM

http://i.imgur.com/pYZfHq7.jpg

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Savage Cracker posted:

So I guess the beetle-smashing anecdote was a statement about GRRM

http://i.imgur.com/pYZfHq7.jpg

The Joffrey one is perfect.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Tactical realism gripes are pretty much always stupid but I do think there's some validity to griping about it in a certain context with GoT, because the show kind of paints itself into that corner. GRRM pretty clearly has a big wank over grimdark realism, and it's beat over our head pretty thoroughly with the constant reminders that armor and big sword wins 99% of the time, Drogo being a big strong dude who dies from a flesh wound, Robert dies from being gored by a pig, etc etc the various examples people have brought up. So it spends a lot of time applying that sort of consistency to itself and ridiculing the viewer for thinking differently. So I think it's fair for people to criticize it when they feel like it subverts it at its convenience, or fails to meet its own standards in some way.

To be clear, I felt like the Oberyn/Mountain fight and its outcome was fine, and consistent with the show's themes. But I'm going to find it pretty contrived as well if the Mountain isn't fatally incapacitated/doesn't succumb to his wounds, because that's loving absurd. You don't survive having your hamstring severed and being stabbed and impaled through the chest, especially if you're coughing up blood. Of course we know he was poisoned as well, which adds to it. But you can see how a viewer operating with only the context of the show would be frustrated

I also don't understand the mental gymnastics people do to say the series isn't nihilistic. It is. I feel like it's a kind of defensiveness, like if its nihilistic it's inherently poo poo, or if literally anything good ever happens in the show then it can't be nihilistic. It's a nihilistic as gently caress show and series to this point, and I think without any of us knowing where this is all going it's completely fair to call it that. But that's not a bad thing, it doesn't devalue it or anything. It is the type of story it is, and the same people who respond to outrage over character deaths with "You're watching the wrong show" should be able to appreciate that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I really like how she has that feathers-motif going on to coordinate with Littlefinger's mockingbird.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Mandrel posted:

Tactical realism gripes are pretty much always stupid but I do think there's some validity to griping about it in a certain context with GoT, because the show kind of paints itself into that corner. GRRM pretty clearly has a big wank over grimdark realism, and it's beat over our head pretty thoroughly with the constant reminders that armor and big sword wins 99% of the time, Drogo being a big strong dude who dies from a flesh wound, Robert dies from being gored by a pig, etc etc the various examples people have brought up. So it spends a lot of time applying that sort of consistency to itself and ridiculing the viewer for thinking differently. So I think it's fair for people to criticize it when they feel like it subverts it at its convenience, or fails to meet its own standards in some way.

I agree, and I definitely have my issues with it, but some bellyaches about what is realistic and what isn't often tells me that the person isn't paying attention or have unrealistic expectations of the show. As for how characters die and why, well, that's GRRM's vision. It may suck--and I've certainly had thoughts of walking away from the show--but his vision doesn't owe us happing endings for our favorite characters. The show runners obviously agree with 60-70% of the story as written by Martin, so that's what we're getting.

quote:

I also don't understand the mental gymnastics people do to say the series isn't nihilistic. It is. I feel like it's a kind of defensiveness, like if its nihilistic it's inherently poo poo, or if literally anything good ever happens in the show then it can't be nihilistic. It's a nihilistic as gently caress show and series to this point, and I think without any of us knowing where this is all going it's completely fair to call it that. But that's not a bad thing, it doesn't devalue it or anything. It is the type of story it is, and the same people who respond to outrage over character deaths with "You're watching the wrong show" should be able to appreciate that.

I'm not really feeling the nihilism, to be honest. Sure the story is often bleak, but it's not always bleak. The grim parts do stand out more, so I get why others perceive it as nihilistic.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyway for anyone mad about them killing off Obreyn, at least look at the bright side: This was probably the very best role for his career he could ask for. I suspect you're going to see him in more stuff in the near future with how impressive he was.

He's already been acting in a new role nightly...

in my dreams. :swoon:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

BubbleGoose posted:

I agree, and I definitely have my issues with it, but some bellyaches about what is realistic and what isn't often tells me that the person isn't paying attention or have unrealistic expectations of the show. As for how characters die and why, well, that's GRRM's vision. It may suck--and I've certainly had thoughts of walking away from the show--but his vision doesn't owe us happing endings for our favorite characters. The show runners obviously agree with 60-70% of the story as written by Martin, so that's what we're getting.

I agree. I am a paramedic and people die of random poo poo literally every day. I think you nailed it saying people have unrealistic expectations of the show. That being said, there is a story being told, and a plot line that needs to be advanced and GRRM chose to do that through death and treachery. I'm not sure how you keep a series about 4 or 5 houses vying for the crown fresh without killing off key players in order to do so.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Wait are we sure Oberyn is dead

What if he's just sleeping

Followers of the lord of light get the raise dead spell so there's always hope.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I can honestly say I'd be satisfied if Dany was killed somehow. She's such a worthless character.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
How's this for an issue? The mountain is stabbed through the chest and is coughing up blood but he's quick enough to nab Oberyn immediately after getting knocked down? The guy who's been dancing around him all day while he was totally healthy? Oberyn can't roll away after getting knocked down and wag his finger sassily?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Woden posted:

They need a head for that. Maybe they can glue the bits back together and pray for the best. Or they will revive him and he will end up as Orson Martell.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Skeesix posted:

How's this for an issue? The mountain is stabbed through the chest and is coughing up blood but he's quick enough to nab Oberyn immediately after getting knocked down? The guy who's been dancing around him all day while he was totally healthy? Oberyn can't roll away after getting knocked down and wag his finger sassily?

You mean while Oberyn was crouched over him, inches from the body of a man that literally has a 7 foot wing span? It's the loving Mountain we are talking about here, he wasn't going to be an easy out! :v:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vehementi posted:

He lured his enemies into a super unbelievable and unnecessary conspiracy, not merely "a trap". Are you saying that in the book there were 100+ Stark soldiers in the throne room that they couldn't show? And that Frey actually sent out people to attack the Stark bannermen camps in open field in hopes that they were all drunk and would fall over in a massacre? That seems like an even more unnecessary plan than I originally understood. From what I remember they ambushed the various Stark soldiers inside the keep, and without a leader the bannermen disbanded afterward (they made a point of saying this in the show). The real risk is as you said - chance of Robb escaping - but that seems pretty negligible compared to "one of my hundreds of random soldiers not keeping the huge conspiracy a secret and then I lose everything".

How is it super unbelievable and unnecessary? He told the dude, "Hey come into my castle so we can talk about how you just completely hosed me over by marrying that other girl instead of my daughter." Robb would obviously go because he needs the Freys to keep the passage to the North safe and because Robb was super dishonorable by breaking his vow to Frey.

As for soldiers keeping their mouths shut? Hell yeah they will. The way army heirarchies are set up in Westeros is that the family members lead the troops. The Freys are the biggest house in Westeros and there's a full grown Frey at every single post commanding people. All they have to say to their couple hundred troops is, "If you tell anyone about this, we'll skin your ballsack off." On top of that Frey had the ballistas loaded and the wedding tents rigged to catch on fire and collapse. It was a pretty great trap that's pretty realistic... in a story about dragons and magic.

Vehementi posted:

I fully get the context of the Oberyn situation and everything that happened. Like a half a dozen people have pointed out in this thread, they could have "had his hubris kill him" without it being "lol prankt, the guy with a hole in his chest choking on his blood got up".

So then why don't you understand it? The Mountain is a huge dude and there's stuff called adrenaline that keeps the body pumping when it should fall down. It's that inconceivable that the Mountain couldn't roll over and do one more big assault on Oberyn? Have you watched entertainment shows before?

Vehementi posted:

Weddings are binding, even if they do lead to some crazy stuff. I mean Joffrey chopped off Ned's head but he still was married to his daughter.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They need a head for that. Maybe they can glue the bits back together and pray for the best. Or they will revive him and he will end up as Orson Martell.

With every beetle he smashes he yells "YOU RAPED HER! YOU MURDERED HER! YOU KILLED HER CHILDREN!" :smith:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Skeesix posted:

It's been said a million times before but Oberyn wasn't in the same mindset in that moment that he was during the fight. When The Mountain was on his feet Oberyn was at 100% but once he thought he'd already won he allowed himself to get emotional and lose focus. This is why The Mountain got the jump on him.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Shath Hole posted:

The black hair is part of the transformation for us to appreciate in her new found dark side, but it's also so she literally looks related to him, as her cover is only broken to the small council in the Vale. To everyone else, she has to look like his niece, Ladyfinger.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Doltos posted:

So then why don't you understand it? The Mountain is a huge dude and there's stuff called adrenaline that keeps the body pumping when it should fall down. It's that inconceivable that the Mountain couldn't roll over and do one more big assault on Oberyn? Have you watched entertainment shows before?

Not to mention that Oberyn wanted The Mountain talking and pointing. He didn't exactly go for a kill shot.

I think Veh's just trolling with dumb criticisms.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Who else got major Princess Bride vibes from the fight? I know it's a standard revenge story, but the whole 'repeat the phrase' intimidation style was very "You killed my father. Prepare to die." I wonder if that was intentional or not. It also made Oberon's loss that much more sad since my head was in a different space half the time.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The conspiracy aspect of the Red Wedding is quite believable; historically similar things happened in Rome in 408 when the Legions murdered all the Germans (and their families) from their ranks on the eve of a war with the Visigoths. In China as well something similar happened though I can't remember the details right now. And of course there's the Black Wedding in later European history that we GRRM has cited as an inspiration.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Who else got major Princess Bride vibes from the fight? I know it's a standard revenge story, but the whole 'repeat the phrase' intimidation style was very "You killed my father. Prepare to die." I wonder if that was intentional or not. It also made Oberon's loss that much more sad since my head was in a different space half the time.

For sure, I did as well. They even kind of sound the same. If it was intentional or not, I don't know, but there was a Inigo Montoya feel to that scene for sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vehementi posted:

a) A wedding is a legally and religiously binding contract in that world, and only a big rear end pimp Maester like Pycelle can annul it.

b) They had the Lannister's backing, and would never have attempted it otherwise.

It's not that complicated, it's not contrived, and if you're going to poo poo all over the story you could at least either read the books or pay proper attention to the show.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm still in shock, I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for this. To the guy who was asking how is it possible for anyone to remain unspoiled- well I'm not unspoiled thanks to a couple of avatars here, but after Joffrey and the Red Wedding there's only a couple of upcoming events I'm still spoiled on. And one of those sounded so ridiculous and stupid that I'm not sure it was even a real spoiler.

It's not very difficult since none of my friends who watch the show have read the books. And this thread is the only place online I discuss Game of Thrones.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The conspiracy aspect of the Red Wedding is quite believable; historically similar things happened in Rome in 408 when the Legions murdered all the Germans (and their families) from their ranks on the eve of a war with the Visigoths. In China as well something similar happened though I can't remember the details right now. And of course there's the Black Wedding in later European history that we GRRM has cited as an inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe is one event GRRM has cited as an inspiration. Still infamous in Scotland today, with the McDonald clan acting as the real life Starks and the Campbell clan acting as the Freys. Though in this case it was the guests massacring the hosts.

Shath Hole posted:

For sure, I did as well. They even kind of sound the same. If it was intentional or not, I don't know, but there was a Inigo Montoya feel to that scene for sure.

Catching up on the thread, about ten people have noted the similarity, with each asking if they are the only one.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah it's probably a frequent thought, but I missed the other posts.
Here's another point that has been brought up before: Arya laughing maniacally at The Hound's inability to get rid of her. I'm not one of the posters who is on the verge of leaving and only watching for one thing or anything, but I do greatly appreciate moments of humor in this show. Between that and the great rabbit fire of episode 4 this season has been able to pull off some good jokes in dire circumstances.

I've gotten the impression that Arya and The Hound aren't going to continue though. Sure her aunt's dead but she still has a cousin, so she would still have worth, yeah?

Also I want to see a battle at The Bloody Gate. That poo poo has gravitas. It's come up enough that it'd be a shame not to use it in a cool way.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Doltos posted:

Weddings are binding, even if they do lead to some crazy stuff. I mean Joffrey chopped off Ned's head but he still was married to his daughter.

Joffrey was definitely not married to Ned's daughter.

Steve2911 posted:

a) A wedding is a legally and religiously binding contract in that world, and only a big rear end pimp Maester like Pycelle can annul it.

b) They had the Lannister's backing, and would never have attempted it otherwise.

It's not that complicated, it's not contrived, and if you're going to poo poo all over the story you could at least either read the books or pay proper attention to the show.

Maesters aren't religious; septons are. Maesters are like science/healer dudes; I can't see them having the ability to annul a wedding (though I guess they have been using Pycelle as the master of ceremonies pretty often so who knows). The guy who married Joffrey and Margarine and crowned Tommen was the High Septon though (Pycelle is the Grand Maester).

Woden posted:

Sadly, they don't get a "repair caved in skull" spell. Beric kept every wound that killed him, not sure what exactly would come back if they tried it with Oberryn.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Also I want to see a battle at The Bloody Gate. That poo poo has gravitas. It's come up enough that it'd be a shame not to use it in a cool way.

I think only Stannis is stubborn enough to attack the Bloody Gate, and even he would be stupid to try it. Clearly they need to get Bronn.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 3, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Yeah it's probably a frequent thought, but I missed the other posts.
Here's another point that has been brought up before: Arya laughing maniacally at The Hound's inability to get rid of her. I'm not one of the posters who is on the verge of leaving and only watching for one thing or anything, but I do greatly appreciate moments of humor in this show. Between that and the great rabbit fire of episode 4 this season has been able to pull off some good jokes in dire circumstances.

I've gotten the impression that Arya and The Hound aren't going to continue though. Sure her aunt's dead but she still has a cousin, so she would still have worth, yeah?

I mean her sister is right there too now but I'm sure they'll end up just missing one another because that's a trope that nobody seems to mind using ad naseum.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://imgur.com/gallery/l6ke6

Everyone looks more or less the same in the show as in real life, except for Varys... he looks like two completely different people, weird.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Everyone looks more or less the same in the show as in real life, except for Varys... he looks like two completely different people, weird.

You did see Sandor Clegana?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I cannot reconcile Gwendoline Christine with heavy makeup on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Who else got major Princess Bride vibes from the fight?
This made me rewatch the PB fight scenes on Youtube and jesus, those look like classic Shaw Bros. footage compared to the mess they edited together for Mountain vs Viper.

• Locked thread