Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fps_bill posted:

E: I just googled it. It's an NRA chinook.

NRS. NRA is something else. They don't make PFDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
you should get a kayak specific life jacket moreso than a fishing life jacket.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

drat autocorrect. Yea NRS.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

I just took my first outing in a kayak and I am all hot and bothered to get one. While I am trolling CL for a deal, I want to buy a life jacket so I am ready. Are the fishing specific ones with all the pockets useful or a gimmick? Does anyone have one that they love?

Don't buy one for the bells and whistles. Pockets and tabs and all that poo poo are nice, but the first priority is one that you can make comfortable enough to forget you're wearing it snug. Kayak-specific vests are tits. They're made to wear all day and be very active in them. If you're a big fella, I'd go for one that fastens in the front, as opposed to one side (Although I've got a manormous paddler buddy who likes his side-opener.). You want adjustment at both ribs and on the shoulder straps at a minimum, and adjustment across the very bottom is nice, too. Like this one: http://store.extrasport.com/products/461815/Riverine?pid=3eb938b5ea684eaebbba6ccf8e4d898c I've got one really similar to it and love it. Pay careful attention to where the shoulder straps hit your neck/traps/shoulders. Wear whatever shirt you fish in when you try some on, because some shoulder straps will shove a collar up into your neck and rub you raw. Wave your arms around and twist and bend as much as possible. The vest shouldn't move or ride up much.

After that, a few pockets are nice, if they're easy to use. It might be easier to get a pfd and then just a larger-sized fishing vest to wear over it.

Stohlquist and NRS are very nice top shelf brands. Extrasport is a little more affordable and about as good. I've never felt the need to upgrade from mine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Stohlquist and NRS are very nice top shelf brands. Extrasport is a little more affordable and about as good. I've never felt the need to upgrade from mine.

Yeah, I realized that I really want to go try stuff on rather then just buying online and hopping for a good fit. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I got to the beach at sunrise. It was low tide, and the water was a complete soup of pieces of sea lettuce. Instantly after casting, pieces of the seaweed would attach to the line and act as a sail, dragging it down the beach. I had 7 ounces of weight on there, I don't think I wanted to put any more than that. I spent more time removing seaweed from the line and recasting than anything else. I don't know if it was the conditions, or if I missed the tide. I didn't catch anything in the 5 hours I was there, but also I didn't see anyone else on the beach get anything. But it was fun anyway.

Kid Golbez
Sep 13, 2005

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Biggest cuda was a beast. Kept his jaw to make a mount. at almost 6 feet he didnt fit in any coolers we had whole.

Most underrated table fish of all time! I love those fresh on the grill.

Edit: The 'cuda that is, everyone knows groupers are tasty.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Kid Golbez posted:

Most underrated table fish of all time! I love those fresh on the grill.

Edit: The 'cuda that is, everyone knows groupers are tasty.

Large barracuda are a huge risk for ciguatera poisoning.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Armed Neutrality posted:

Large barracuda are a huge risk for ciguatera poisoning.

Welp

wiki posted:

Dyspareunia and other ciguatera symptoms have developed in otherwise healthy males and females following sexual intercourse with partners suffering ciguatera poisoning, signifying that the toxin may be sexually transmitted.[8]

"Baby, I swear, I got this rash from a fish!"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And people make fun of mutant fish from the Great Lakes. . .

So my local walmart (in NE Ohio) had a huge coleman cooler worth of assorted lures from Pradco/Ebsco brands for $1.50 each. I picked up several different flavors of Zara puppy (including every one they had in bone, because that's one of my more productive lures), some Rebel crankbaits, a Cotton Cordell rattler and 4 different colors/sizes of hula poppers. There were also some spinners, jigs (forget what brand), some of those weird Lindy walleye lures, and some other things that I'm sure I'm missing.

All were in generic-ish packaging with only the brand and with the same UPC, so they were clearly packaged specially for walmart.

Point being, check your local store to see if they have them, because I got like $100+ worth of lures for $22.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Cig is very unlikely here but I still dont eat Cudas that are longer than a few ft. The smaller ones are quite delicious. But I think the cuda smell scares people away. I know lots of Cubans who eat giant cudas all the time and have only heard of a few getting cig. That said, the description of its symptoms makes me never want to take that chance.

Went out on Sunday against advice of the weather man and got a nice Black Grouper. Conditions and weather ended up being perfect despite everyone predicting wind and rain all day sunday.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Buddy and I used Mepps lures to catch these bad boys at Charleston Lake, Ontario this weekend -

8lb Pike:

+5lb Rock Bass:

We caught plenty of rock bass, and a few SMBs and one LMB that we quickly released with no pics (not in season). Great weekend to be on the lake.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice looking fish but I think your scale may be reading a bit heavy. ;)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Scrapez posted:

Nice looking fish but I think your scale may be reading a bit heavy. ;)
haha yeah I'm going by what my friends were saying. By next year I'm sure the weight will double every time we tell the story. As long as we didn't get skunked I'm happy!

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bangkero posted:

haha yeah I'm going by what my friends were saying. By next year I'm sure the weight will double every time we tell the story. As long as we didn't get skunked I'm happy!

This is Rule #1 of fishing. Always use the magic scale and ruler. And each time the story is told the fish has to get bigger. Actually weighing fish just results in crestfallen sadness over how much smaller the fish is than you guessed. That bass is probably about 3lbs. For reference here is a 6lb Largemouth bass I posted earlier in the thread.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 4, 2014

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
ha yeah then my friends were totally off, but it'll get that big when we tell the stories in a year. ;) In hindsight the one I posted looks like a largemouth bass, and not a rock bass like we initially thought - which I now feel awful keeping out of the water longer than we should have since they're not in season.

In most of Southern Ontario the average size of SMB is 1-3.5lb, LMB is 1.5-4lb. Any bass like the one I posted is considered a hefty size. They stopped stocking bass here long ago to protect the trout population, plus it's colder here so the fish don't grow as big as in warmer climates.

Dreamer101
Feb 10, 2014
Any suggestions on what pole kit and supplies I would need for a beginner?? Just moved to south east Louisiana (literally at the Gulf of Mexico) I recently bought a 10 ft. fishing kayak and have enjoyed paddling up and down the bayou.. Now I'm looking for more adventure. Would you need a smaller pole for kayak fishing? I've only fished a few times on boat and land. May need to start out on land since there's many options in the area like Grand Isle/ Fourchon, LA. I wouldn't know where to start for salt water fishing as far as bait, etc. I see a lot of signs along side of the road for meadows, is that popular?
Thanks!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bangkero posted:

Buddy and I used Mepps lures to catch these bad boys at Charleston Lake, Ontario this weekend -

8lb Pike:

+5lb Rock Bass:

We caught plenty of rock bass, and a few SMBs and one LMB that we quickly released with no pics (not in season). Great weekend to be on the lake.

Nice fish! Definitely a little heavy, but that's okay, that's part of fishing :). Just for reference, the state record rock bass for MN is like 2 lbs, so a 5 lber in a more northern place would be absolutely incredible.

That pike is probably closer to four pounds if I'd have to guess, but it's tough to tell.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Bangkero posted:

ha yeah then my friends were totally off, but it'll get that big when we tell the stories in a year. ;) In hindsight the one I posted looks like a largemouth bass, and not a rock bass like we initially thought - which I now feel awful keeping out of the water longer than we should have since they're not in season.

In most of Southern Ontario the average size of SMB is 1-3.5lb, LMB is 1.5-4lb. Any bass like the one I posted is considered a hefty size. They stopped stocking bass here long ago to protect the trout population, plus it's colder here so the fish don't grow as big as in warmer climates.

Thats a nice LMB even for warm climates. Its amazing the variation one species has when its spread across climates and regions not to mention what fishing pressure can do.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I have a chance to pick up a Abu Garcia Vendetta spinning rod for $30 at the Wal-Mart clearance rack. 6"9', medium light and a medium heavy are up there. Anyone have experience with this particular rod/brand?

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I have a chance to pick up a Abu Garcia Vendetta spinning rod for $30 at the Wal-Mart clearance rack. 6"9', medium light and a medium heavy are up there. Anyone have experience with this particular rod/brand?

I have the medium heavy. I really like it but it's also my only and first baitcaster.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Went fishing today.
Caught him on a rooster tail with my ultra light and 4lb line. Very next cast I caught another a little smaller.

Overall a pretty good day with 3 bass and a poo poo ton of bream.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please rename this thread to "The Catch-All Fisting Thread 2014".

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I have one of the medium lights and gave another medium light to a friend. We both love them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I ended up deep hooking a bluegill at the farm pond today so I ate him. Pretty tasty little guy but man I need a proper filleting knife.

I also would love a recommendation for a pair of polarized glasses that will not make me cry when I sit on them or leave them somewhere.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Buy one of these and never look back.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=victorinox+filet&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avictorinox+filet

The steel in these knives is sick and it stays sharp and can be re honed much better than most filet knives you can find at fishing stores. I bought two of them over a year ago and with 10 minutes on a honing steel they are like lazers cutting through butter.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think I finally figured out why I'm unable to catch anything with power eggs. I need to stop worrying about there being too much bait on the hook, and worry more about bouyancy when I'm trying to float it off the bottom.

Caught my limit of trout today in 5 or 6 casts flat. I spent more time picking up trash in the area afterward, than I did with a hook in the water.

Also I flat-out split my britches squatting down to rinse off my hands. Remember to hike up your drawers when they're old and paper-thin! :laugh:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Shot in the dark but anyone from the SF bay area (specifically the south bay) know of any good fishing spots? I've tried del valle and the campbell percolation ponds, not much luck. Looking for something that has bass or bluegill and isn't over fished. Any hidden spots or good recommendations?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Today was a lovely day to take the kayak out. Very light winds, sunny, and not too hot. Caught a few nice fishing including this lovely lady too!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Shot in the dark but anyone from the SF bay area (specifically the south bay) know of any good fishing spots? I've tried del valle and the campbell percolation ponds, not much luck. Looking for something that has bass or bluegill and isn't over fished. Any hidden spots or good recommendations?

Too many people around here in general. Bass and bluegill are probably a little easier, finding a fishable stream around here is just impossible.

I'd like to try Joseph Grant County Park, specifically Grant Lake, because it's a little bit further away from town than some places. It's kind of a drive for me, though, so I never tried it.

Del Valle is close, but the shores are hard for fly-casting and there are too many people.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
When out fishing for pike today, didn't catch any, but i found something else interesting.

Saw a dead fish on the shore of the lake so i picked it up to take a closer look.

Turns out it's a dead burbot, probably suffocated by the fish it still has in it's dead jaws, which my fingers are holding by.

I guess he bit more than he could chew (or swallow in this case).

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
My 6 weight setup for Montana (and Texas):

Goddamn am I excited.

expat
Aug 12, 2013
I went fishing for the first time since I was an early teen today. Found a lovely rod and grabbed some hooks. Didn't get anything but enjoyed being in the sunshine. Any recommendations on the best way to get brown trout? I've never even seen one in the flesh.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

expat posted:

I went fishing for the first time since I was an early teen today. Found a lovely rod and grabbed some hooks. Didn't get anything but enjoyed being in the sunshine. Any recommendations on the best way to get brown trout? I've never even seen one in the flesh.
Where are you located? Trout in general are cool-water lovers and tend to be leery of bank movement. Are you fishing on a small stream, or a big lake? How hot is it (they'll be deeper or in shade if it's sunny and hot)? Without any background, not much can be offered past what you could just google up yourself.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

The best method for learning local fishing methods is find a legit tackleshop/salesmen who knows the local fishing and exchange your business/money for his secret info on how to catch fish. This is one of the only times buying things online or from large chain stores has a serious disadvantage. I went on a trip to gatlinburg tn, hit the local tackle store, spent some cash and talked up the owner and got a whole pile of info on exactly where and when to find the fish (lots of stocking)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

The best method for learning local fishing methods is find a legit tackleshop/salesmen who knows the local fishing and exchange your business/money for his secret info on how to catch fish. This is one of the only times buying things online or from large chain stores has a serious disadvantage. I went on a trip to gatlinburg tn, hit the local tackle store, spent some cash and talked up the owner and got a whole pile of info on exactly where and when to find the fish (lots of stocking)

This is what I do at the shore. The bait/tackle shops are invaluable for local information on what's happening right then.

You know you're in when you get a suggestion for early morning fishing and run into the guy who owns the shop the next morning when you show up to fish. And then you go back and buy more poo poo, because that's a good guy who deserves your business.

expat
Aug 12, 2013
I picked one guy's brain I saw fishing and still came up with nothing. Basically going to be going up and down a small river system and some larger ponds. I got recommended to let it sink and dog the line back in. It's still quite cold here and an older fellow said the fish will only just be starting to get active.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I caught a bass!

It was kinda underwhelming sadly, I was catching bluegills about his length, but twice the weight so when he hit I didn't feel it at first. But still, first largemouth and it is nice to know this pond has them in it.

I bought at kayak!

West Marine was having a sale on their Pompano 120s, which is their version of the Wilderness Tarpon. I stopped by today and while the sale ended yesterday I got them to sell me the floor model for the sale price. It was $540 out the door with a basic cartop carrier. I am pretty pleased, the other two I was looking at in the same price range seemed much less well built and each had some issues.

I have a PFD on order but still need a seat and paddle and would love any recommendations.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I impulsively bought a cheap new 12ft kayak on amazon last week but now that it's here I'm realizing I haven't the slightest idea where to keep it :smith:

I so can't wait until it stops raining on the weekends so I can take it out on the lake, kayak fishing looks like such a blast. Are there any must have accessories or toys that I should check out?

I'm also curious what the best way would be to hang on to the fish I want to keep, I feel like keeping them on a stringer might give them license to drag me around more than I would like.

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

I caught a bass!

It was kinda underwhelming sadly, I was catching bluegills about his length, but twice the weight so when he hit I didn't feel it at first. But still, first largemouth and it is nice to know this pond has them in it.

I bought a kayak!

Bass are weird to me. I grew up catching trout like it weren't no thing, and one day as a kid my friends and I stocked a big muddy gravel pond on my folks' property with a few largemouth bass, and I never went back for like ten solid years of fishing (and then I couldn't because trout hit different and prefer different temperatures and such) - they were also the cagiest fish I've had the pleasure of shore-fishing for. They're extremely aggressive and also have a really subtle 'nibble' where they inhale a hook and bait/lure to "taste" it and it barely causes a flicker on your line and rod. I've seen a 24"+ largemouth huff-and-puff on on a 1/8 oz texas rigged hook and weight with a plastic worm and not even been able to feel the tension change in the line in my finger, and I've also seen them flat snap the end off a pole that'd been left hanging off the edge of a boat with a lure dangling.

Largemouth are fun to fish and fun to fight, but I personally think they taste dusty (unless they're from a big lake sometimes) and it gets stronger with size.

expat posted:

I picked one guy's brain I saw fishing and still came up with nothing. Basically going to be going up and down a small river system and some larger ponds. I got recommended to let it sink and dog the line back in. It's still quite cold here and an older fellow said the fish will only just be starting to get active.
Keep in mind that not everyone is up for chatting when you go fishing, and that some will be downright territorial and avoid telling you anything/anywhere that works for them. You still haven't seemed to mention where you're trying to get your hook wet and/or for what so the advice you say you got so far sounds like you either got trolled, or are trolling this thread with your sick weed-catching rig.