Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
So the monthly report was just late and not late in an especially indicative way, but it did bring good news:

Three Toe posted:

The time has come! We are planning to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of next month.[...]

Toady One posted:

Unlike my March 2013 prediction, this one is more ironclad, so look forward to it! I was hoping to get the game together before the two-year anniversary on the 4th of this month, but I only managed to wipe out a little over two-thirds of the list in May, so we're just going to wind things up properly now, with a bit of a cushion but also a deadline. Sorry to those expecting it this week![...]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Alright! Everyone prepare for bug city, and then a series of quick fixes over the next two weeks that make you wonder why they couldn't have been effected before release.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone want to start a pool? I'll take the 13th.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's going to be v0.38, right? It'll be on the 38th.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna try to not play for a week or two after release anyway to let the DFhack and such catch up.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Would anyone like to sum up what's going to be new in this release?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
So does he mean June or July?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Vander posted:

July I assume.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vander posted:

August...

2015. :getin:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Your dwarves will never wear pants again

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Your dwarves will never wear pants again

Don't be ridiculous, they'll wear pants when they are used as sutures for injured dwarves.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

darthbob88 posted:

Masterwork problem; I've got a steam engine which is obviously working, but I can't seem to actually use the power. I have two gear assemblies and a horizontal axle attached to the top left and right corners, where the power's supposed to come out, but all of them are showing inactive and unpowered. Most perplexing. I'm trying to learn about minecarts, but it's proving difficult because I can't power the rollers. :argh:

The engine in question is low-left; got a diamond gear assembly going north from it to the roller, a steel assembly just attached to the right corner, and an axle going north from the right corner. None of them are powered, though the engine is working.

I had this same issue. I can't recall what I actually did to get it fixed, but I THINK that the gears and stuff need to be built after the steam engine is in place.

I'm working on a design for a line of magma steam engines, I think due to the way they work and how the magma can only be below one certain tile, and the water has to be below another tile, that it has to be horizontal. I also am not sure if this is even worth it, because I've heard they wear out over time and the building just breaks? Like how a crematorium does.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Anyone want to start a pool? I'll take the 13th.

It'd be more interesting to guess what insane bugs are going to come out of it at zero hour. My irrational guess is every living thing in the fortress inexplicably turning into a gigantic zombie lobster that's on fire every time the game autosaves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My guess for the gamebreaking bug is something with caravan guards, possible suddenly turning inexplicably hostile. Either to you, or the caravan they're guarding.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It'd be more interesting to guess what insane bugs are going to come out of it at zero hour. My irrational guess is every living thing in the fortress inexplicably turning into a gigantic zombie lobster that's on fire every time the game autosaves.

It's as likely as anything else!

My guess is that there are inexplicable occasions when water flows upwards. Rivers and lakes lift off into the sky, caverns get inverted lakes on their ceilings, and your underground reservoir suddenly emerges through your well and drowns everyone. Actually those last two would be pretty amazing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/edit?pli=1

It gets edited all the time. I swear there used to be more on it. I'm sure you could browse the edit history if you were so inclined.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Bug: Unhappy dwarves abandoning the fortress turn friendly to dwarves civs but turn hostile to visiting civs. Try not to have emigrating dwarves wanting to leave with elves.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Kommando posted:

Bug: Unhappy dwarves abandoning the fortress turn friendly to dwarves civs but turn hostile to visiting civs. Try not to have emigrating dwarves wanting to leave with elves.

I really don't see a downside to this happening?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
Bay 12 Games Report says release in the beginning of next month.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And I'll post it here a third time so it's right here in my post history for reference. JUNE REPROPOERT

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: The time has come! We are planning to release the next version of Dwarf Fortress in the beginning of next month. We are grateful to all those who have contributed time, energy, and money to help us along! Many of you understand how this process works, but the rest need to know how Bay 12 Games operates. Dwarf Fortress is more than a game. It's a kind of art project that has been in production for over 10 years, and you are part of it! We need everyone to help find bugs, show newbies how to play, and generally spread the word. It will take time for the new version to be as stable as the one that's out there now. Not to mention all the mods that will have to be re-calibrated. We know that without all the people working and contributing, Dwarf Fortress would be just another failed oddity of a game. But people are getting involved with the project. Everyone is doing their part, answering questions on the forums, contributing to the bug tracker, building great mods, and telling their friends about DF!

Congratulations to the generous!

:frogsiren:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Unlike my March 2013 prediction, this one is more ironclad, so look forward to it! I was hoping to get the game together before the two-year anniversary on the 4th of this month, but I only managed to wipe out a little over two-thirds of the list in May, so we're just going to wind things up properly now, with a bit of a cushion but also a deadline. Sorry to those expecting it this week!

In other news, many of you know that I've always been far behind in my reading of the threads over in the suggestions forum, sometimes years behind with my comprehensive categorization, but over the last three months I've managed to catch up entirely. It isn't possible to read every post in every thread, but I've checked every opening post out, scanned the reply posts, and taken notes (on over 12000 threads...). I suspect that many of the faster usability ideas will make it in during the bug-fix period and during the job priorities work that'll follow this release.

May: $3705.91
April: $6428.15

Any bets on the post-release donation jackpot? Version .34 hit in February for a whopping $12500 and change.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's interesting to compare DF to nowadays popular Kickstarter and Early Access models. They have earned more than $300.000 in seven+ years. Not all that much, but pretty drat great considering the donators won't get anything. In this case it might help that it's a niche product instead of a retro-platformer or such. It's also pretty much untouchable by looming indie game crash (amount of new games devaluates everything).

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kayle7 posted:

I had this same issue. I can't recall what I actually did to get it fixed, but I THINK that the gears and stuff need to be built after the steam engine is in place.
That can't be it, because all those were built after the engine and they still aren't powered. Will try deconstructing the engine and rebuilding it, to see if connecting an engine to existing assembly works better.

quote:

I'm working on a design for a line of magma steam engines, I think due to the way they work and how the magma can only be below one certain tile, and the water has to be below another tile, that it has to be horizontal. I also am not sure if this is even worth it, because I've heard they wear out over time and the building just breaks? Like how a crematorium does.
It doesn't necessarily have to be horizontal; you can have two parallel pipes of magma and water which occasionally branch off to feed your engines. This is especially useful since AFAIK water and magma don't have to be under any two specific tiles, just so long as they don't meet and turn to obsidian. They do break; I lost one engine to a boiler explosion because I worked it too hard, which is why I have the newer engine only producing 200 power.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

darthbob88 posted:

That can't be it, because all those were built after the engine and they still aren't powered. Will try deconstructing the engine and rebuilding it, to see if connecting an engine to existing assembly works better.

It doesn't necessarily have to be horizontal; you can have two parallel pipes of magma and water which occasionally branch off to feed your engines. This is especially useful since AFAIK water and magma don't have to be under any two specific tiles, just so long as they don't meet and turn to obsidian. They do break; I lost one engine to a boiler explosion because I worked it too hard, which is why I have the newer engine only producing 200 power.

Bummer... they really, really shouldn't break. It just makes them even more of a pain in the butt to make when you can always just make some perpetual water wheels that never stop and never run out.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone know whether "A Game of Dwarves" is any good? I ask because it is on sale on Steam right now. I'm a little tired of building my ridiculous pump stack at the moment. So I thought I might find something to preoccupy myself from wondering about the impending release of Fun.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It's closer to Settlers than Dungeon Keeper or DF. I bought it last year.

It's not horrible, but it has that thrift shop odor to it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone know whether "A Game of Dwarves" is any good? I ask because it is on sale on Steam right now. I'm a little tired of building my ridiculous pump stack at the moment. So I thought I might find something to preoccupy myself from wondering about the impending release of Fun.

It's really bad, and really slow. And not fun.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kayle7 posted:

Bummer... they really, really shouldn't break. It just makes them even more of a pain in the butt to make when you can always just make some perpetual water wheels that never stop and never run out.
On the other hand, a) dwarven water reactors do bad things to FPS and b) one steam engine can do the work of up to 5 DWRs. Given that, I'm not too upset about boilers occasionally exploding to balance out their advantages.

ETA: Also, my problem with the engine solved itself after I rebuilt the engine in that same place and hooked it up to the existing assemblies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, a) dwarven water reactors do bad things to FPS and b) one steam engine can do the work of up to 5 DWRs. Given that, I'm not too upset about boilers occasionally exploding to balance out their advantages.

ETA: Also, my problem with the engine solved itself after I rebuilt the engine in that same place and hooked it up to the existing assemblies.
I'm pretty sure if you make your waterwheel engine a closed loop with 7/7 in all tiles the game just changes it to "flowing water" tile types and it stops murdering your FPS actually moving chunks of water around. You'll need a pump in there to keep it "flowing", though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm getting married the beginning of next month... Wonder if my wife will be mad if I bring a laptop on the honeymoon? :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

It's garbage, I'm afraid. Try Gnomoria if you want a simpler dwarf-like fix.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm getting married the beginning of next month... Wonder if my wife will be mad if I bring a laptop on the honeymoon? :getin:

I'm getting married 3 weeks into July, coincidentally about the time I expect the major bugs to be hammered out.

I'm sure I can bring my PC tower with us on the honeymoon...

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure if you make your waterwheel engine a closed loop with 7/7 in all tiles the game just changes it to "flowing water" tile types and it stops murdering your FPS actually moving chunks of water around. You'll need a pump in there to keep it "flowing", though.

I once built a long artificial river that fed from a brook and drained off the other edge of the map, with a couple of floodgate locks for maintenance control of the flow. Strangely enough, once the water was registered as flowing off the end of the map, I could shut the output floodgates, cutting off the drain edge, and all the water tiles under the waterwheels retained their flowing status indefinitely.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Vander posted:

I'm getting married 3 weeks into July, coincidentally about the time I expect the major bugs to be hammered out.

I'm sure I can bring my PC tower with us on the honeymoon...

Tying the knot July 23rd here. I'm thinking my bachelor party will involve the buggy dorfs of newly released .38 and hours of furrowing my brow as I try and prevent them from drowning in thin air or periodically electing a merchant's yak as the mayor.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Peridexis just released a Stonesense overlay - it's pretty buggy, but it looks sweet:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/27a3zj/stonesense_overlay_is_live_unstable_incomplete_in/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's it, science has gone too far.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Thats a step in the right direction, and whats buggy now will get better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just saw this video on how some guy is optimizing pathfinding in his 2d dwarf construction/sim dwarf fortressy game and found it pretty fascinating, since pathfinding deathchugs are pretty much the main reason I stop playing any given fortress. I'm no programmer, but I was wondering if this sort of thing is at all able to be applied to dwarf fortress's 3d tile space.

If we're lucky maybe Toady will implement something like it by 2040.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's just crazy that Today sits there and watches people hack all this poo poo out through memory editing while stubbornly keeping his source code to himself. What the gently caress.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flesh Forge posted:

It's just crazy that Today sits there and watches people hack all this poo poo out through memory editing while stubbornly keeping his source code to himself. What the gently caress.

A combination of the game being his life's work and not wanting anyone to take it from him, and a bunch of idiots asking him "Will the source code be released if you happen to, say, die in a traffic accident?" until he included a clause in his testament saying that DF source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

my dad posted:

A combination of the game being his life's work and not wanting anyone to take it from him, and a bunch of idiots asking him "Will the source code be released if you happen to, say, die in a traffic accident?" until he included a clause in his testament saying that DF source code will only be released if he dies of natural causes.

What did I just read :psyduck: