Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spacing in vienna posted:

Serious question: could this be some kind of paperwork error? Like, the administration accidentally graduated Benny when they weren't supposed to? It would fit the "I went to apply but they said I was graduated already."

The Cal State system does a "Grad Check". You literally cannot graduate unless they itemize every class you have taken against your completed class list. It would have to be a colossal fuckup to allow someone to graduate without having the credentials. I mean, we are talking I have never even heard of it happening with numerous friends/extended family going to various schools in California in the Cal State system.

They fuckup paperwork all the time, but loving up something where they could get more money out of you is approximately zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

spacing in vienna posted:

Serious question: could this be some kind of paperwork error? Like, the administration accidentally graduated Benny when they weren't supposed to? It would fit the "I went to apply but they said I was graduated already."

Honestly, you have to ask yourself which is more likely: Administration hosed up entirely and graduated someone who wasn't supposed to graduate, or a known habitual liar is lying.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
Benny, can you please go on a vision quest across the desert so we don't have to pay taxes to buy your dumb rear end comic books?

Like for real, last month at my job, we got a lady with downs syndrome to agree to not pick her nose in public so that she could have a job at a Stop and Shop. She still has her job, Benny.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just post the diploma Benny, I believe in you. But hold a sign with your username too.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Shoe on diploma

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

If it makes you feel any better, Benny, I know someone who flunked out of college and still makes six figures as a software engineer, and to this day, a decade later, his parents still don't know that he didn't graduate. People will make fun of you for it, but more because of the lying thing than anything else.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Eh, put me down on the 'Benny probably did graduate' side.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pfirti86 posted:

Eh, put me down on the 'Benny probably did graduate' side.

"probably"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

"Did Benny the Snake graduate from college in 1990"

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
When did he say he graduated?

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
I'm proud to announce that Benny will almost certainly not reply to this line of inquiry.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

4th Asclepiadean posted:

I'm proud to announce that Benny will almost certainly not reply to this line of inquiry.

I really love how everyone points out how that phrase was incredibly stupid to have on a cover letter yet he decided to focus his editing efforts on an almost irrelevant fix (to be fair, it's a cover letter and therefore almost entirely irrelevant but whatever).

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I passed the GWT. As for the senior project, funny story. I can't remember whether it was the year I declared my major (which was the first) or if it was the year I switched my emphasis from education to lit based on a misunderstanding (long story). To make a long story short, one of those two years made me exempt from the senior project. So no, I don't have a senior thesis. Which was good because Lord knows what I would've done and how big of an embarrassment it would've been.
How do I feel about goons saying I should sign up for welfare/SSI because I'm so inept? To them I say gently caress that and have a nice day :)

Benny please write out this long story, it seems like it could be really interesting.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
It's actually very common to just push people through. All those check lists and poo poo? It's not binding. Everything can be overwritten. I'm not saying Benny isn't lying again. I'm just saying that the university just washing their hands of him with graduation isn't impossible. It isn't even unlikely.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Benny, when I was in college, I easily did a resume and cover letter as a class assignment AT LEAST 6 times. EVERY class remotely related to business or writing made me do one, and one professor made me go in on his office hours for critiqing. How many times did they make you do this?

If you are in fact an alumni, they should have services available either for free or a nominal fee that allow you to have your things reviewed. Have you used them?

For your cover letter, use a point/evidence/analysis format.simply state:

Dear (name if you can get it, hiring manager if you can't),

Attached is my resume for (position) that I found on (website/newspaper) on (date). With my skills in _, I feel I would be a good fit for this position.

Paragraph explaining why. If you can't explain why, it's not a job for you.

I look forward to having a chance to speak with you further. You can reach me at (phone#/email address). Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

It's also better not to call than call too much.

Honestly, though, you'd be better off cashiering at a gas station or Wal-Mart or something like that. Do something mindless and repetitive, hold the job for atleast a year without getting fired, then you can try to move up.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

The problem with mindless and repetitive is they want people that can do that faster than a snail's pace. Benny has said he's fat and slow, and sits around yawning. He couldn't hack it more than a day at a warehouse stuffing things into boxes because he was so slow.

so he lacks the physical ability to be a highly-skilled worker, and the mental wherewithal to be a highly-educated worker. He doesn't follow directions (thinking he knows better), doesn't work well with others (tells them he'll cover their shift and then fucks them over), is not reliable (calls out sick/hungover/schedules dental appointments in the middle of his shifts), and loses his employers money.

So tell me, people who say he just needs to bootstrap, what jobs are there for somebody with no skills, doesn't need anything to be "done", where he can show up if he feels like it, be totally unsupervised, and money isn't an object?

Benny, if you feel like that picture doesn't accurately portray who you are... it does at far as this thread is concerned. That's how you look to other people. You might want to think about that.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

crabrock posted:

The problem with mindless and repetitive is they want people that can do that faster than a snail's pace. Benny has said he's fat and slow, and sits around yawning. He couldn't hack it more than a day at a warehouse stuffing things into boxes because he was so slow.

so he lacks the physical ability to be a highly-skilled worker, and the mental wherewithal to be a highly-educated worker. He doesn't follow directions (thinking he knows better), doesn't work well with others (tells them he'll cover their shift and then fucks them over), is not reliable (calls out sick/hungover/schedules dental appointments in the middle of his shifts), and loses his employers money.

So tell me, people who say he just needs to bootstrap, what jobs are there for somebody with no skills, doesn't need anything to be "done", where he can show up if he feels like it, be totally unsupervised, and money isn't an object?

It's really loving hard to draw the line between just a lazy piece of poo poo that refuses to take advice and learn and someone with legitimate mental illness preventing them from working when your only interaction with them is over a message board.

If Benny is the former he absolutely does not deserve disability.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

crabrock posted:

Canadian Senator?

Of course he'd have to be appointed by the Prime Minister - just send him your yet-to-be-published Thunderdome anthology, Benny.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

nerve posted:

It's really loving hard to draw the line between just a lazy piece of poo poo that refuses to take advice and learn and someone with legitimate mental illness

Assuming that he's not lying, I take anything with a "psychotic" label by a psychiatrist to be pretty damning. Maybe I'm biased because I have a psych BA/MA and am working on a Neuroscience PhD in the field of stress disorders, but there are many, many things he needs to fix with his brain besides just "doing more work." Again, assuming he's not lying, he sent out tons of resumes and applications. They were probably all that "proud to announce" stuff. His problem isn't TRYING or doing work, it's that he's doing the completely wrong things despite having access to tons of resources, because of his fundamental ability to understand his own abilities and prospects. Then, when he does get a job, his broken brain causes him to do stuff that seems literally insane to a normal person, and he gets fired. He is lazy, yes, but laziness isn't the thing keeping him from getting/keeping a job. I know LOTS of lazy people (myself included) that succeed.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007

crabrock posted:

Benny, if you feel like that picture doesn't accurately portray who you are... it does at far as this thread is concerned. That's how you look to other people. You might want to think about that.

He could work for the TSA.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

afterhours posted:

He could work for the TSA.

Regardless of how low the bar is to be a TSA agent do you really want the deaths of tens or hundreds of travelers on your conscience when he fucks up and allows a bomb through the security checkpoint he's manning?

Its almost like he needs to find a job where his predilection for loving things up is an applicable skill.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Regardless of how low the bar is to be a TSA agent do you really want the deaths of tens or hundreds of travelers on your conscience when he fucks up and allows a bomb through the security checkpoint he's manning?

Its almost like he needs to find a job where his predilection for loving things up is an applicable skill.

Maybe doing something or maybe not doing something does not constitute a job. That constitutes not a job. Ergo, SSI.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Geoj posted:

Software tester. gently caress all this bullshit about regression testing, unit testing etc, what you want is the dumbest fucker on the planet breaking your code so you can account for users.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

right. that'd be great, when he bothered to show up. you'd ask him for an explanation of what he did wrong and he'd give you a bunch of lies because he thought they sounded better, then when pressed he'd "come clean" and admit he made it up and the code worked fine. By this time three weeks have gone by and you've missed your launch date.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dex posted:

Software tester. gently caress all this bullshit about regression testing, unit testing etc, what you want is the dumbest fucker on the planet breaking your code so you can account for users.

gently caress that, the literal last thing I need as a developer is a Benny saying "It's broken", being unable to reproduce it under any circumstances, and then 4 hours later I find out it's because he forgot his password but didn't want to tell anyone.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Sucks for you dudes who don't bill by Agile cycles I guess.

Ok, new reachable goal, moving target at a driving range. Or shooting range, whatever.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

crabrock posted:

Library volunteer. :stare:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, before you abandon this thread again can you let us know if you graduated or not? Thanks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dex posted:

Ok, new reachable goal, moving target at a driving range. Or shooting range, whatever.

Wrong thread. Go Benny go

Dex threw me off

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 3, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dex posted:

I didn't say that I don't get paid, but they don't pay me overtime for wasting time with morons and it's hell on my blood pressure

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

crabrock posted:

Assuming that he's not lying, I take anything with a "psychotic" label by a psychiatrist to be pretty damning. Maybe I'm biased because I have a psych BA/MA and am working on a Neuroscience PhD in the field of stress disorders, but there are many, many things he needs to fix with his brain besides just "doing more work." Again, assuming he's not lying, he sent out tons of resumes and applications. They were probably all that "proud to announce" stuff. His problem isn't TRYING or doing work, it's that he's doing the completely wrong things despite having access to tons of resources, because of his fundamental ability to understand his own abilities and prospects. Then, when he does get a job, his broken brain causes him to do stuff that seems literally insane to a normal person, and he gets fired. He is lazy, yes, but laziness isn't the thing keeping him from getting/keeping a job. I know LOTS of lazy people (myself included) that succeed.

Do you know much about how childhood enculturation affects adult cognition? I can't help but wonder if this could all be attributed to profoundly anti-intellectual upbringing. Intelligence has a sizable developmental component, right?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Accretionist posted:

Do you know much about how childhood enculturation affects adult cognition? I can't help but wonder if this could all be attributed to profoundly anti-intellectual upbringing. Intelligence has a sizable developmental component, right?

Not particularly, but I study epigenetics, which is showing that poo poo that your grandparents did affects the expression of your genes and modifies your behavior. We know Benny has had, at times, a rough home life, and a stressful childhood is predisposes you to a shitload of disorders, including *gasp* depression!

Vylan Antagonist
Jun 5, 2005

Much less clever than he looks
Tortured By Flan
"I am proud to announce that I, Benny the Snake, am applying for the position of Assistant Dishwasher at Stu's Stroganoff Shack. Please hold your applause at this time."

I intend no disrespect to state workers. I've known quite a few in my day, some of them relatives. I understand how thankless the job can be, particularly in today's political and economic climate. I'm well aware of how unfairly maligned many hard-working state employees are and I hesitate to perpetuate an unfair stereotype about their caliber.

But Benny, you need to start taking civil service exams and trying to get on the state payroll.

It won't be fast, but you aren't in any hurry. The wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly, but they do turn. You need to start the process now.

Your typing skills are more than adequate for California requirements. The pay will not be good, but you've established that you are not averse to minimum wage.

Most importantly, once you get in, state jobs are difficult to lose by incompetence alone. The private sector is not going to tolerate you as you are now, Benny. Low level managers putting in 60 hours at a McDonald's don't have time to handhold you through making a Big Mac for the 14th time, particularly since their rear end is on the line if they do. The state is your only shot.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Everyone ragging on people for calling Benny lazy, chew on this for a while. I was also diagnosed with severe depression and a learning disability and I wasn't on medication to treat it for years yet I managed to get and hold multiple jobs until I was able to afford my doctor's visits and prescriptions. Benny is a lazy sack of poo poo whose failures are no one's fault but his own. Benny going on disability is like spitting in the face of everyone who legitimately uses it to get by. Benny going on disability is the reason why people think people on welfare/government assistance are just lazy.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

crabrock posted:

cname posted:

Library volunteer. :stare:

:unsmith: The system works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Benny would be Employee of the Month at the USPS.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

He'd never make it a whole month

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Nah, Ontrac.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zedd posted:

I had to do mandatory internship 13 months while psychically limited

I hope your ESP is all better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

oval office raja posted:

As someone with multiple mental health issues that people often view as 'laziness' and 'being weak-willed' and other dumb poo poo, you are terrible and your opinions are terrible.

Are you Benny's brother?

• Locked thread