Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

Seriously, what is the offensive part about this?

It is hardly as bad as Brent Weeks in The Blinding Knife where the main protagonist throws a young woman out of the window since he mistakes her for another woman and have sex with her when the love of his life walks in. Then his guards lie to cover up for him and he marries the love of his life after explaining the situation for her and she forgives him. Also between that and the marriage he has sex with his slave mistress who is in love with him. Oh, and during this he also kills his brother whose identity he has stolen and who he has kept alive and hidden for 15 years.
You can't make this poo poo up.

How do you have sex with a woman who you just threw out of a window and thought was another person?

General Battuta posted:

It's about a diminutive Japanese girl (check) who is so subservient she must resist the urge to bow (check) and looks like a porcelain doll (check) and speaks broken English (check) and our fedora-wearing protagonist calls her Mrs. Origami because he doesn't know her real name and that is a Japanese word (I have like four bingos) (the game is creepy racism bingo)

Maybe it's some kind of joke?
I thought the "these dirigibles (presumably military vehicles) were entirely kept afloat by the DISCIPRINE OF GRORIOUS NIPPON" was the super ridiculous part, before we even get to the "china doll" poo poo. I haven't seen that kind of poo poo since Snow Crash - or at least the last time I was an elderly caregiver and the old people were listening to books-on-tape of W.E.B. Griffith...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm just starting The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds, which is the only Revelation Space story I haven't read yet (until "The Last Log of the Lachrymosa" comes out later this year!).

I know it's set before the main RS storyline, pre-Melding Plague and all, and that it's more of a detective story. However I was wondering if it'll have some of the same creepy, existential dread — and unknowable, scary things lurking in the vastness of space — that the other RS stories have?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Hedrigall posted:

I'm just starting The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds, which is the only Revelation Space story I haven't read yet (until "The Last Log of the Lachrymosa" comes out later this year!).

I know it's set before the main RS storyline, pre-Melding Plague and all, and that it's more of a detective story. However I was wondering if it'll have some of the same creepy, existential dread — and unknowable, scary things lurking in the vastness of space — that the other RS stories have?

The Prefect's main selling point to me was really fleshing out how Demarchy works and making the Glitter Belt feel like a pretty real place.

There are some fairly creepy elements like the lady who has that thing attached to her brain that makes it so she can't sleep. The whole thing takes place in the Glitter Belt though, so you'll miss out on some of the travelling around vastness of space stuff. I remember really liking the book, but Demarchy is also really interesting to me.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

coyo7e posted:

How do you have sex with a woman who you just threw out of a window and thought was another person?

I thought the "these dirigibles (presumably military vehicles) were entirely kept afloat by the DISCIPRINE OF GRORIOUS NIPPON" was the super ridiculous part, before we even get to the "china doll" poo poo. I haven't seen that kind of poo poo since Snow Crash - or at least the last time I was an elderly caregiver and the old people were listening to books-on-tape of W.E.B. Griffith...

The girl had fire magic and was the thing that kept the airship from exploding in crazy hydrogen fire and she loved murdering the imperial army because of what they did to her. That and its crazy 1920 Noir and that genre has issues on its own.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Was it any good at all?

Argali posted:

I always see copies of this book, Orcs, in every Barns & Nobles I walk into, and wonder who the hell has actually bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Orcs-Stan-Nicholls/dp/B008VJIYK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401664631&sr=1-1&keywords=orcs
A re-release in the US, someone must've bought it. It sounds a little like your standard "ragtag band of mercenaries saving the world" to me. I can't believe it could be worse than that "A thirst for vengeance" book I posted about the other day, unless it's written entirely in first-person like the teaser on amazon for it, is.. http://www.amazon.com/Orcs-Stan-Nicholls/dp/B008VJIYK0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401664631&sr=1-1&keywords=orcs

quote:

"Look at me. Look at the Orc."

"There is fear and hatred in your eyes. To you I am a monster, a skulker in the shadows, a fiend to scare your children with. A creature to be hunted down and slaughtered like a beast in the fields.

It is time you pay heed to the beast. And see the beast in yourself. I have your fear. But I have earned your respect.

Hear my story. Feel the flow of blood and be thankful. Thankful that it was me, not you, who bore the sword. Thankful to the orcs; born to fight, destined to win peace for all."

This book will change the way you feel about Orcs forever.

Then again it's also recommended by a dude who wrote something called, "Snow White and the Seven Samurai" which has got to either be hilariously brilliant, or :gonk:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Eunabomber posted:

Guiltily raises hand.

In my defense, it was cheap and I had a flight to catch. It wasn't bad bad, just a regular sort of time wasting not good.

I have. It was... fine, from memory. Not exceptional, not awful, antihero fantasy, with some squicky bits thanks to the big bad. The sequel I think I also read and wasn't impressed with.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I just finished reading The Severed Streets, the new book by Paul Cornell and I literally can't stop laughing at Neil Gaiman being a not insignificant character. I mean he's the one who drops the title in conversation, I just love how ridiculous it is. Book was really good too, the only annoying thing was how much exposition was spent recapping the first book in the beginning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ursus Veritas posted:

I just finished reading The Severed Streets, the new book by Paul Cornell and I literally can't stop laughing at Neil Gaiman being a not insignificant character. I mean he's the one who drops the title in conversation, I just love how ridiculous it is. Book was really good too, the only annoying thing was how much exposition was spent recapping the first book in the beginning.

Neil Gaiman murders the main protagonist. Yes, you read that right, person who doesn't care about spoilers for a very good new urban-fantasy book.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Neil Gaiman murders the main protagonist. Yes, you read that right, person who doesn't care about spoilers for a very good new urban-fantasy book.

And it's implied he could be back in future books! It's all just so completely amazing, I couldn't help but laugh everytime he showed up.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I loved the first book, but I'm not sure what to think of that spoiler.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

systran posted:

There are some fairly creepy elements like the lady who has that thing attached to her brain that makes it so she can't sleep.

I hardly remember anything of the book but that part really struck me, plus all the ways they try to fix it and eventually do

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's set in the 20s-30s as a noir steampunk xmen series.

Do you mean 'pulp'? Because that's coming across as a lot more Sax Roemer than Dashiel Hammet.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Ursus Veritas posted:

And it's implied he could be back in future books! It's all just so completely amazing, I couldn't help but laugh everytime he showed up.

I liked the very first appearance because I thought it was just a throwaway joke, but having it be a major plot point ruined it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Man Awake in the Night Land by John C Wright (wah wah I'm a terrible person for reading John C Wright I don't care) loving rules. Really apes the style of the original story well and expands on the setting in cool/interesting ways. And so far (70% through) the setting is even more oppressive and pessimistic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Man Awake in the Night Land by John C Wright (wah wah I'm a terrible person for reading John C Wright I don't care) loving rules. Really apes the style of the original story well and expands on the setting in cool/interesting ways. And so far (70% through) the setting is even more oppressive and pessimistic.

Do you need to read the original first?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Megazver posted:

You don't need to but the new edition is really good and worth reading first. Also cheaper!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

You don't need to but the new edition is really good and worth reading first. Also cheaper!

Hmmm. Didn't someone rewrite it recently for the modern reader? How is it? Or am I thinking of something else?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ursus Veritas posted:

What's the justification for him showing up? Using real people in your book is usually a pretty big no-no, I wonder what he thinks about that.

Neurosis posted:

(wah wah I'm a terrible person for reading John C Wright I don't care)
God, you are a whiny little bitch.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Hmmm. Didn't someone rewrite it recently for the modern reader? How is it? Or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah, James Stoddard rewrote it. The rewrite is pretty good and enjoyable. There are some times when the heroine of the piece can be a bit obstructively annoying but on the whole I enjoyed the read and I was much impressed by William Hope Hodgson's imagination. I didn't bother with reading the original text because it seems pretty universally agreed that it's extremely stilted and antiquated.

Edit: the only dint on the novel's enjoyment was it begins with an introduction to the characters set in the 19th century (one of the premises is reincarnation) which isn't too enamouring, but it's pretty brief.

Megazver posted:

I'd strongly recommend it because familiarity with a lot of the concepts is just kind of assumed. For the reasons given above I don't think having to read the original (well, the revised original) is any great chore, though!

Apparently there is some site on the internet full of nothing but fan fiction set in the Night Land which has some gems (some are written by Stoddard, for example), but I couldn't comment on how good those are.

Cardiovorax posted:

Hahahaha.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 3, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Jesus Christ can everyone in here just tone it down a notch.

Like have arguments about social politics and stuff just see if you can skip the part where all the participants end up hating each other and doing catty call backs for the next year.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the justification for him showing up? Using real people in your book is usually a pretty big no-no, I wonder what he thinks about that.

Per the afterword, he apparently asked and got permission from the fellow in question ahead of time.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I think the justification is they're friends and he thought it was funny, he mentions him in the acknowledgements as having given feedback on several drafts and even dedicated the book to him so I think Neil also probably finds it pretty funny.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think it's okay to read authors who are incredibly lovely people as long as you acknowledge they're incredibly lovely people. You don't have to get defensive about it and imply that everyone who thinks they're lovely is an enormous internet baby. (There's an argument to be made that you shouldn't support them economically, I guess, but that gets complicated.)

I'm reading Love is the Law by Nick Mamatas. It's written from the perspective of an alienated communist punk rocker 'wizard' in 80s Long Island, and gently caress, it's just way too effective at evoking the setting. Everything about the place and the people in it feels sickening, claustrophobic, and rotten. The wives are on Valium, the husbands are on crack, and everything stinks of stale cigarette butts and urban decay. It's almost a victim of its own success.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ursus Veritas posted:

I think the justification is they're friends and he thought it was funny, he mentions him in the acknowledgements as having given feedback on several drafts and even dedicated the book to him so I think Neil also probably finds it pretty funny.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they're good buddies. They move in the same literary circles. Kind of reminds me of a hobby of the Weird Tales crowd, who liked to insert each other in their stories and then kill the inserts off gruesomely. When Lovecraft got asked whether it'd be OK for it to be done to him, the writer in question got an enthusiastic affirmative signed by several characters from the Mythos. :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was wondering more about the in-story reason, but I guess that explains it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ursus Veritas posted:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2014/05/21/guest-blog-paul-cornell-on-neil-gaiman-and-the-severed-streets/

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

General Battuta posted:

I think it's okay to read authors who are incredibly lovely people as long as you acknowledge they're incredibly lovely people. You don't have to get defensive about it and imply that everyone who thinks they're lovely is an enormous internet baby. (There's an argument to be made that you shouldn't support them economically, I guess, but that gets complicated.

I have never investigated the background history of an author I enjoy and the ignorance is truly blissful.

GRRM could boil cats alive for all I care. Just keep writing books, you beardy bastard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I was wondering more about the in-story reason, but I guess that explains it.

In-story, there's an overlap between London's magical community and its artsy hipster fringe, meaning that a disproportionate number of artists have had contact with the supernatural and some of them go looking for more. Gaiman had the bad luck to be given the second sight by a (possibly) well-meaning fan who thought it would help him with artistic inspiration, went looking for a reason why he started getting all these ghastly hallucinations (because the city is severely hosed up on a supernatural level), and ended up getting dragged into the horrible infighty factional mess that is magical London.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

I have never investigated the background history of an author I enjoy and the ignorance is truly blissful.

GRRM could boil cats alive for all I care. Just keep writing books, you beardy bastard.

I have some bad news for you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

It's okay. He's just a total nerdface. You've probably already deduced it just from having seen him.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

WastedJoker posted:

I've got some terrible news

e: poo poo

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

They are making jokes about how slowly GRRM writes

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

They are making jokes about how slowly GRRM writes

Oh! I thought it was about his cat boiling habit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seldom Posts posted:

Oh! I thought it was about his cat boiling habit.

Well, that too, but...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Guys.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So speaking of books which seem to have not-cardboard women characters, I recently started The Dragon's Path (the dagger and the coin #1 of 5) and although I've only gotten 2/3 through the first novel (audible, I always fall asleep listening and have to rewind v:shobon:v ) I've really enjoyed this one so far. The grizzled veteran is pretty grizzled and has some emo background, the world-building is really not pushed in your face - there are like 4 or 5 demihuman races including scaley and furry people who just all roll around in the city together without making too-much of a deal about describing it in super-excruciating expository detail in the first few chapters, and the protagonist really has her own ideas, personality, and only spends about 10-15 chapters being "little girl lost" before she just figures out an angle and begins stepping up to the plate.

I'm looking forward to what happens at the end of the book after the first 2/3 having moved forward/matured so much, and I can't even fathom what will happen in the next (3 published so far, but it's planned as a quintet) 4 novels. I hope the author takes some more time to go into exposition on the demihuman races as things go farther in, because it's been sparse enough that I'm mostly just intrigued.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 4, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Kindle tells me I'm 30% into American Gods. I'm finding it to be fairly unengaging. Does it pick up or continue developing at a fairly slow clip?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

Kindle tells me I'm 30% into American Gods. I'm finding it to be fairly unengaging. Does it pick up or continue developing at a fairly slow clip?

Meh, I remember it being pretty slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Not really, it's just really overrated, like a lot of Gaiman's work.