Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Acid Reflux posted:

I think that's the first picture I've ever seen that's demonstrably *not* a product of Photoshop, but really really really really looks like it is.

My first thought was that it was a google street view fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

I think that's the first picture I've ever seen that's demonstrably *not* a product of Photoshop, but really really really really looks like it is.

For the record I took this from my apartment this afternoon, which has windows overlooking an intersection. I happened to look out my window, did a double-take, and grabbed my Nikon D3200 as fast as I could.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
If you liked it you should have put a wing on it:

Oh, oh, oh....oh well I guess you did that already, took this when leaving the store this morning, wish I had time to hang around and meet this young chap.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Yesterday I saw this car:

It now has a mirror blue vinyl wrap though and I'm sad that it wasn't safe for me to get a picture of it.

Fortunately the internet has me covered and I can show you a similar car:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Previa_fun posted:

I used to think the Murano Crosscabriolet was fairly rare but I guess not because now I see enough of them a week that I've just stopped posting them.

That or I'm the AI Patron Saint of Murano Convertibles. :v:

I've seen a couple as well and I couldn't figure that thing out. The Solara convertible is a great choice if you don't really care about having anything with more personality or performance than a Camry but want to take the top down...there's definitely a market for convertibles that aren't for car people. But the Murano convertible just makes no sense at all on any level, and it's 42 loving thousand dollars (or it was before they euthanized it this year).

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My aunt has a Murano X cab and absolutely loves the poo poo out of it. I'll admit that the interior is gorgeous and it's a hell of a lot of fun to cruise around in with the top down.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The only thing that would make the Crosscabriolet better is if it had four doors. It's really neat though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I used to think the Murano Crosscabriolet was fairly rare but I guess not because now I see enough of them a week that I've just stopped posting them.

That or I'm the AI Patron Saint of Murano Convertibles. :v:

I had the displeasure of seeing one of these things on the way home today (being driven by someone that doesn't understand how lanes work) and I think I would rather be stuck behind a HHR.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Galler posted:

I had the displeasure of seeing one of these things on the way home today (being driven by someone that doesn't understand how lanes work) and I think I would rather be stuck behind a HHR.

Am I crazy that the fat ugly rear end of the Murano CrossCabriolet reminds me of the equally-ugly fat rear end of the 4th-Generation Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cruseydr posted:

Fortunately the internet has me covered and I can show you a similar car:

Now I know what was up with the color/finish that SLS AMG in San Francisco. When you do it to an attractive car with red wrap, it looks incredible.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I love the roll bar FOR SAFETY but he has the windshield header extend towards his head, nice and low, with a sharp edge on the bottom set just right to shear the top of his head off if he hits something.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wojcigitty posted:

I've seen a couple as well and I couldn't figure that thing out. The Solara convertible is a great choice if you don't really care about having anything with more personality or performance than a Camry but want to take the top down...there's definitely a market for convertibles that aren't for car people. But the Murano convertible just makes no sense at all on any level, and it's 42 loving thousand dollars (or it was before they euthanized it this year).

Eh, only because the Murano is getting replaced with a new model entirely.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Insurance covers that, right?

.....right?

Awww gently caress it, they cover fires.....

Night Danger Moose posted:

Only got these 2 pics as the owner was walking towards me, but it seemed gaudy enough for the thread. The rear end and inside had more black vinyl on it. The guy had two popped-collar polos on too, bluetooth in, smacking his gum, aura of the most important person in the world. Sorry if they're kinda potato quality, my phone is butt.

I might be wrong, but I believe that's entirely factory.

Bentley has become a lot more, uh, flashy over the last decade.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 3, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Postal posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how much it would suck to operate those controls whilst wearing two layers of very thick gloves at +4g with a +-1g high frequency vibration shaking you around...

I remember they discussed this issue with NASA, and the screens will actually sync to the vibration so that they'll look fairly still while the rocket is vibrating so you can interact should you need to.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, only because the Murano is getting replaced with a new model entirely.

What exactly is going on here? I can tell it's a giant spider but it looks kind of crushed and/or dead.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

What exactly is going on here? I can tell it's a giant spider but it looks kind of crushed and/or dead.
I think a spider got sealed inside of the windshield during the pressing/layering process. Good QA.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

looks to me like it's trapped in a headlight/taillight assembly.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Parked hard in a crowded parking lot. Because, you know, JDM bro.

This is in a lot where people are just circling for spots so they can get to the food court on their lunch hour.

Also not shown: giant shocker sticker (among many others) on the rear window, A pillar gauges, HUGE tach.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Chinatown posted:

This is in a lot where people are just circling for spots so they can get to the food court on their lunch hour.

Also not shown: giant shocker sticker (among many others) on the rear window, A pillar gauges, HUGE tach.

What I can never figure out about beige shitboxes being given all these absurd mods is that for the same amount of money they could have purchased an actually interesting fun car.

On the upside, at least we're not seeing many actually interesting fun cars driving around with shocker stickers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kenshin posted:

What I can never figure out about beige shitboxes being given all these absurd mods is that for the same amount of money they could have purchased an actually interesting fun car.

On the upside, at least we're not seeing many actually interesting fun cars driving around with shocker stickers.
They only have enough money to purchase/run a low-end model, and then have the sunk cost of having bought it dissuading them from changing it rather than upgrading, which of course gets worse and worse with the more they spend on it.

I tend to be of the view that you should buy the best/fastest/most powerful version (these are quite possibly not the same thing) in the first place, unless your plan from the get-go is a full rebuild and replace upgrading of everything, in which case granny-spec is the way to go.

I had this debate with a guy with a pretty nice E30 318iS, who wanted to swap in an M20 and turbo it. Pointed out that he had a reasonably uncommon model in good condition, and he'd be far better to sell it and buy a 325i to modify, but he insisted that he wanted to do it that way - partly because the car was a known quantity to him and he'd owned it for several years, which I can understand, but I still think he was wrong.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Here's the opposite:

Luxury car parked 'hard', my beater don't care if you ding it's doors. Have fun getting back in you fuckwit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Post your favorite time that you were a dick to a dick

Not quite my beater so I went out on my lunch break and moved it when there were other spots open.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SaNChEzZ posted:

Here's the opposite:

Luxury car parked 'hard', my beater don't care if you ding it's doors. Have fun getting back in you fuckwit.

I like you.

A great deal.

Thank you for doing this for the sake of us who can't [I don't want people dinging the new car :ohdear:]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Code Jockey posted:

I like you.

A great deal.

Thank you for doing this for the sake of us who can't [I don't want people dinging the new car :ohdear:]

I don't know; it's irritating when a car is "parked hard" but then I remember that sometimes you can be forced to be parked at a hosed up angle if SOMEONE ELSE was previously parked like an rear end in a top hat next to you.

Then again, my Explorer has a split bench so it's not hard to climb over from the passenger side or the back.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KoRMaK posted:

I think a spider got sealed inside of the windshield during the pressing/layering process. Good QA.

... slumber in their crystal prison, waiting to reclaim Earth...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

They only have enough money to purchase/run a low-end model, and then have the sunk cost of having bought it dissuading them from changing it rather than upgrading, which of course gets worse and worse with the more they spend on it.

I tend to be of the view that you should buy the best/fastest/most powerful version (these are quite possibly not the same thing) in the first place, unless your plan from the get-go is a full rebuild and replace upgrading of everything, in which case granny-spec is the way to go.

I had this debate with a guy with a pretty nice E30 318iS, who wanted to swap in an M20 and turbo it. Pointed out that he had a reasonably uncommon model in good condition, and he'd be far better to sell it and buy a 325i to modify, but he insisted that he wanted to do it that way - partly because the car was a known quantity to him and he'd owned it for several years, which I can understand, but I still think he was wrong.

Back in the 40's, hot rodding wasn't a thing yet. So guys that wanted fast cars went to the junkyard and bought '29 Model A's, or 32's, maybe picked up an Oldsmobile engine, some other bullshit when necessary. The vast majority of these cars ran like poo poo, had subpar work done on them, sat in primer for months and months, and everyone loving hated them.

In a perfect world, they would have bought a Chrysler 300 with a Hemi, or a 283 powered shoebox Chevy, but sometimes people don't have the money up front to buy the ideal car.

Beige Toyotas are the '32 Ford of the 21st century.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Beige Toyotas are the '32 Ford of the 21st century.

Rat rods built in 40 years time are going to suck

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

Rat rods built in 40 years time are going to suck

Junkyard turbo ratted out subaru outbacks with welded diffs doing burnouts at the veteran's day parade? I'm looking forward to that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just imagine all the cool poo poo we will be able to 3D print

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Care to share where you got the poster? :D

Here ya go. It's an original movie display poster, had a friend look at it that collects them and he confirmed. Going to make an obnoxious "go fast" frame for it and put it in my garage. The guy sent it nicely rolled up with a protective sheet of thin paper but it's got a couple of nice creases from people folding it in the last 33 years.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 4, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

I like you.

A great deal.

I also left them a handwritten note explaining that they're terrible :downs:

That poo poo really rustles my jimmies. And to be honest, it's my girlfriend's beater, I'd never do that with the supra.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Here's some horrible shop stuff. Mechanic installs and safeties my brothers new used car. A week later he tells me the steering wheel is staying off centre after turns followed by it darting viciously left or right. I wasn't able to look at it so I had him hit Canadian Tire for an inspection:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

To me this sucks on an entirely different level - those are very rare and sought-after here (RHD country) and are worth significantly more than their run-of-the-mill 6 cylinder brethren. Also the M42 takes boost just fine so sticking in a lovely heavy m20 makes no sense at all.

8ender posted:

Here's some horrible shop stuff. Mechanic installs and safeties my brothers new used car. A week later he tells me the steering wheel is staying off centre after turns followed by it darting viciously left or right. I wasn't able to look at it so I had him hit Canadian Tire for an inspection:

So...they put the pin in despite the bolt being completely loose? What the gently caress.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tindjin posted:

Here ya go. It's an original movie display poster, had a friend look at it that collects them and he confirmed. Going to make an obnoxious "go fast" frame for it and put it in my garage. The guy sent it nicely rolled up with a protective sheet of thin paper but it's got a couple of nice creases from people folding it in the last 33 years.

I normally only lurk A.I. and almost never post, but I could swear that Burgess pilots a F-86 Sabre and not a Phantom in that movie... :raise:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

I normally only lurk A.I. and almost never post, but I could swear that Burgess pilots a F-86 Sabre and not a Phantom in that movie... :raise:

This is like the time I could absolutely swear that Tom Cruise was the guy in The Arrival and it turned out to be Charlie Sheen somehow. I would've passed a loving lie-detector on it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Slavvy posted:

So...they put the pin in despite the bolt being completely loose? What the gently caress.

My theory is that they used an impact with the air turned way up and obliterated the threads but it took a week to work itself loose.

I have other reasonable explanation unless they were drunk or out to kill someone intentionally.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Slavvy posted:

This is like the time I could absolutely swear that Tom Cruise was the guy in The Arrival and it turned out to be Charlie Sheen somehow. I would've passed a loving lie-detector on it.

I knew it had a Sabre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCmH1HdG6g&t=150s

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't know; it's irritating when a car is "parked hard" but then I remember that sometimes you can be forced to be parked at a hosed up angle if SOMEONE ELSE was previously parked like an rear end in a top hat next to you.

Then again, my Explorer has a split bench so it's not hard to climb over from the passenger side or the back.

Is it really such an issue to park a little farther away?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Is it really such an issue to park a little farther away?

In some places 'further away' means up to a quarter of a mile away. My old apartment was like this. And if you're time limited that means you aren't getting your errands done because some rear end in a top hat thought his car was too important for one spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

Back in the 40's, hot rodding wasn't a thing yet. So guys that wanted fast cars went to the junkyard and bought '29 Model A's, or 32's, maybe picked up an Oldsmobile engine, some other bullshit when necessary. The vast majority of these cars ran like poo poo, had subpar work done on them, sat in primer for months and months, and everyone loving hated them.

In a perfect world, they would have bought a Chrysler 300 with a Hemi, or a 283 powered shoebox Chevy, but sometimes people don't have the money up front to buy the ideal car.
That's still a noble pursuit, and I don't think anyone into cars has a problem with people buying what they can afford and then making it go like stink. That is not what idiots with basic hatchbacks usually do. It's all about the appearance of performance without having any.

Make your car go fast? This is fine.
Make your car look good? This is fine.
Make your car look fast? Yeah, you're a knobhead.

Definitely relevant seeing as you mentioned what is effectively the genesis of hot rodding: Taking a pile of crap and spending all your money making it fast (or, at least, work) is cool. Taking a perfectly ok car and ratting it out to give the appearance of having done the former? Straight to the knobhead corner.

Slavvy posted:

To me this sucks on an entirely different level - those are very rare and sought-after here (RHD country) and are worth significantly more than their run-of-the-mill 6 cylinder brethren. Also the M42 takes boost just fine so sticking in a lovely heavy m20 makes no sense at all.
I concur, and I was a little irritated that someone would do something so silly to a nice, rare car (he did come across as a bit of a tit in general). He could sell his iS to someone who would like it for what it is, buy an equivalent condition standard model and tune it how he wanted, and still come out ahead financially.

On one hand, it's his car, and a well-done M20 turbo is by no means a bad thing, on the other hand, he's still wrong.