Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

i like c++ smart pointers a lot

:getin:

I hope Rust figures out what the hell it's doing. This may be the Stockholm syndrome, but the current execution is less appealing than modern C++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

swift is cool is there documentation on how to do things with osx in it instead of objectivist c yet

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

swift is not that cool in any absolute sense, but it is almost certain to have some mainstream impact, and it is a fresh breath of air from that perspective

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should have just made swift a subset of c# and been done w/ it. then they could write their own compiler like they've already done and maybe upgrade to a real one from Microsoft in the future.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

does microsoft use c# for its flagship products yet

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

b0lt posted:

a phone that's faster than top of the line desktops from like 2005

remember azureus? yeah

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Malcolm XML posted:

but it is essentially a damning argument against developing languages in isolation; imagine if apple put their backing behind rust?

yeah, then they'd reap the rewards of hobbling their ability to innovate by using technology tied to some moribund standards organization out of their control!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nipplebox posted:

lol nice one

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

i like c++ smart pointers a lot

i remember before i learned c++ i thought memory management in it was hard but it's actually easier than it was in pre-ARC objc

i still can't believe something so simple (to use) is so fast

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

they should have just made swift a subset of c# and been done w/ it. then they could write their own compiler like they've already done and maybe upgrade to a real one from Microsoft in the future.

C# is a bad language from a company who can't be assed to actually use it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The first time Microsoft shipped a consumer product written in C# was Kinectimals when they used Unity/Mono.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

C# is a bad language from a company who can't be assed to actually use it.

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nipplebox posted:

no because a c# binary can in one click turn into the product's original source code minus the comments.

that's more to do with the CLR than c# but in practice c# only exists atop the CLR.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I need to validate a bunch of giant csvs in python, what should I use? csvvalidate looks okay i guess.

i'll need to do the same to xml data later if that changes anything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use java or c# instead

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

use java or c# instead

thanks shaggar but well no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your just setting yourself up to fail

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
have always loved visual studio and c# but at this very moment i'm trying to build an old c++ visual studio solution of 25 projects and it's loving annoying. i wish when i set one project as a dependency of another project i could specify that i want to include/link files from that project, without having to manually specify every individual link in every individual project. i'm using a common property sheet but it's still less friendly than with a c# solution.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am not the biggest fan of the solution format vs workspaces in eclipse. solutions are too tightly coupled to projects and theres no maven equivalent for vs which is really annoying.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
my most used ide at the moment is intellij, for grails. i like it but i find it frustrating that you can't open more than one project in one instance, you need a separate window if you want to work on two at once.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Malcolm XML posted:

c++ smart ptrs are pretty much the nicest solution, everything is explicit
explicit's just another word for nothing left to lose

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

gabensraum posted:

my most used ide at the moment is intellij, for grails. i like it but i find it frustrating that you can't open more than one project in one instance, you need a separate window if you want to work on two at once.

if you use maven you can open more than one in the maven slidey window

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The first time Microsoft shipped a consumer product written in C# was Kinectimals when they used Unity/Mono.

And that wasn't developed by them but by Frontier much like the other versions

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gabensraum posted:

you can have multiple modules in one project. importing a maven tree and getting a module for each artifact is ez.

current intellij gripe: it has a 2-3 minute seizure every time i switch branches, which was a problem because i needed to simultaneously debug artifacts built from separate branches. this ide is not doing a good job of supporting my team's terrible QA practices

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

someone teach me about smart ptrs im a babby idiot at c++ even though i use it on the reg i just treat it like c extensions rather than anything not hideously abusive to myself

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

please run intellij with the -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC vm option

i wish they would just enable this by default

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

someone teach me about smart ptrs im a babby idiot at c++ even though i use it on the reg i just treat it like c extensions rather than anything not hideously abusive to myself

if you've written c++ for any amount of time and actually used destructors, then smart pointers are just how you'd write a pointer class, basically.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Bloody posted:

you construct a shared_ptr by calling make_shared (or passing a pointer allocated with new, or by specifying a deleter and passing a pointer allocated by whatever).
it starts off with refcount 1, copying the shared_ptr will increment the refcount, destructing the shared_ptr will decrement the refcount, and delete if the refcount hits zero.

weak_ptr is a weak pointer constructed from a shared_ptr that gets nulled if the shared_ptr gets freed

unique_ptr is a pointer that you can't copy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i guess i dont copy things because i dont know what any of that means

if i pass a pointer to a function or method or w/e c++ calls em do they get copied

why dont i know this

inm y defense im really tired right now

and a loving moron

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Stubbs posted:

did i not mention the part where i had to double the heap and turn on CMS to not be driven insane by GC pauses

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

i guess i dont copy things because i dont know what any of that means

if i pass a pointer to a function or method or w/e c++ calls em do they get copied

why dont i know this

inm y defense im really tired right now

and a loving moron

ok heres how c++ works. copying a shared_ptr has side effects. c++ programmers think this is a good thing. thats really all a sane person needs to know about c++

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

ok heres how c++ works. copying a shared_ptr has side effects. c++ programmers think this is a good thing. thats really all a sane person needs to know about c++

yeah im not a sane person though i use c++ for things more than never and consider it a reasonable decision

although i feel like functional programming and machine learning are secretly a match made in heaven and im doing a bad job of looking for tings (probably because i have spent no time looking for things)

wait actually all the c++ i do is numerics anyways. i soulhd be oding openLC or something.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

meanwhile off in the land of completely obvious action garbage collection, c#/java programmers think it's a good idea for there to always be a nondeterministic process that can suspend your program at any time

at least in c++ i can read the code for the side effects

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stubbs posted:

run it w/ java 8

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

please report to the terrible programmer safe zone if you use C++ but don't understand the following:
- smart pointers
- copy constructors
- rvalue references
- std::move

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

please report to the terrible programmer safe zone if you use C++ but don't understand the following:
- smart pointers
- copy constructors
- rvalue references
- std::move

what if i don't understand even a single one

also i pmuch live in tpsz

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

what if i don't understand even a single one
enjoy C++03, I guess

whatever works for you. just don't apply for any job description that mentions C++ without getting to know C++11 and 14.

that reminds me, I wonder if Effective Modern C++ is out yet

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Modern C++? i hear it's coming right after Water Minus Wet and Flying Pigs Made Simple

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

enjoy C++03, I guess

whatever works for you. just don't apply for any job description that mentions C++ without getting to know C++11 and 14.

but i use 11 features when they suit my c :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Javascript has crazy scoping beyond the understanding of mere mortals and it has no namespacing or anything so people just put as much as they can inside anonymous functions inside closures because it's the only way to keep things clean when you import every js library into your rails project

That makes pretty good sense.

Much in the way that describing psychosis makes sense, of course.