Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Tetracube posted:

I'm so proud

virgin bloodbros, what a sick burn

hahahah, it takes a special kind of salty bastard to actually go through the effort of adding you to the friends list just to give you advice for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Speaking of folks being salty, I dedicated the better part of last evening making sure some guy named Lancer does not beat Looking Glass Knight on NG+. I ruined his boss run at least 20 times, and he refused to summon anyone or go offline. I wonder if he was in CoC, but he was so poor at fighting I really doubt it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

axelsoar posted:

Speaking of folks being salty, I dedicated the better part of last evening making sure some guy named Lancer does not beat Looking Glass Knight on NG+. I ruined his boss run at least 20 times, and he refused to summon anyone or go offline. I wonder if he was in CoC, but he was so poor at fighting I really doubt it.

Was he hollowed at all? You still have to be 100% human to summon help.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The pursuer UGS lost 20% of its durability killing a single ratdog in the Gutter. This thing's still not that great even with the motion increase. I can't decide how I want to do things now that my flame weapon/BKGS combo is basically just 40 more damage for the BKGS.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Did you constantly cleave through walls, corpses or phantoms with it?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Magus42 posted:

Was he hollowed at all? You still have to be 100% human to summon help.

I couldn't tell, he sure seemed to die quick so maybe. You think he would of just white phantomed for someone if he was.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

axelsoar posted:

I couldn't tell, he sure seemed to die quick so maybe. You think he would of just white phantomed for someone if he was.

If you killed him 20 times, I'm gonna bet he was hollow for a good portion of it.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

axelsoar posted:

Related, I never got repeat hosts when invading as a Looking Glass Knight squire, but I did see the same sunbro's and white phantom helpers a few times.

For one of them, I got summoned into a host world with two sunbro's and was instagibbed.
While trying to get summoned again, I got invaded by one of the sunbro's in the squad that just killed me. Presumably trying to prevent me / others who were trying to do squire invasions.

Glorious revenge was had :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

scamtank posted:

Did you constantly cleave through walls, corpses or phantoms with it?

Nope, just hit the rat. On the plus side, I was actually able to hit something with it, so that's an improvement.

Also Flame Weapon lasts no time at all without a lot of stats now, so it's weaker AND shorter lasting. I'm only still using this build because the BKGS is the best version of the Drangleic sword I know of.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

but having to switch between one-handing and two-handing all the time is annoying, even if I shouldn't be blocking at all with my lovely blue shield.

Switching between my powerstanced Caestus and the Channeler's Trident is a pain thanks to this. I hope that one day they implement a "lock weapon into 2hand/powerstance etc." option so you don't have to do it manually every single time.

Magus42 posted:

If orbs can still be dropped (I'm not at home to check), one of us with tons of them could just drop you some :)

Relax, wouldn't this be way too much work for you? Otherwise, I guess we could try on a new character. :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually, if I upgraded the pyromancy hand, would that make Flame Weapon last longer due to the scaling? And if so, how much could I really expect at 12 int/12 faith? I could deal with the damage being relatively weak if it lasted longer than 30 seconds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deaderinred posted:

hahahah, it takes a special kind of salty bastard to actually go through the effort of adding you to the friends list just to give you advice for life.

I've only had one person do it but it is pretty hilarious.

Keep telling yourself that buddy.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Today I learned that you can parry the Varangian Kick.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Stokes posted:

You can parry a fuckton of things.

For fun and games, try parrying leaping attacks!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Stokes posted:

Apparently, you can parry the majula pigs. Also spiders.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Kaldaris posted:

You can parry a fuckton of things.

For fun and games, try parrying leaping attacks!

Yes, I have the Huntsman's Copse club wielding thieves leaping attack timing down pretty good.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
I almost feel sorry for the guys who are still running with santier's/avelyn/monastery scimitar like they didn't figure out they were nerfed but gently caress if I'm telling them.

I ran into what I guess is the NEW META tonight. Full Havels/Grym Helm/Gowers Ring/ or that turtle armor for original fashion with a helix halberd and mastadon halberd in powerstance (I think). They use a shitload of buffs before doing anything then just poke, poke, the same move over and over. One poke does 20-30% damage. I got one down to about 30% health and he just turned his back and chugged his estus/repair powder then went back to poking. What am I missing about how to kill these guys?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
AFAIK there's nothing you can do about numbness, its idiotic now. It reduces a huge amount of damage while also lasting a long time. There's nothing you can do to stop it short of keeping it from being casted in the first place.

Just another reason to stay out of high level PvP.

VVV Its only going to get more common from here on out.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 3, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, if I upgraded the pyromancy hand, would that make Flame Weapon last longer due to the scaling? And if so, how much could I really expect at 12 int/12 faith? I could deal with the damage being relatively weak if it lasted longer than 30 seconds.

On a build with 12 int/fth it's been lasting 90 seconds for me, same as always.

Internet Kraken posted:

AFAIK there's nothing you can do about numbness, its idiotic now. It reduces a huge amount of damage while also lasting a long time. There's nothing you can do to stop it short of keeping it from being casted in the first place.

Just another reason to stay out of high level PvP.

Not like that many people use it. It's a pain if you do fight someone with that setup, but its pretty drat rare.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Has testing on the duration of Profound Still been done since the hellpatch?

Might be a viable counter to the new numbness/buff FOTM. Kite for 30-60 sec, cast it, wait for the enemy's buffs to wear off then proceed to stomp them. All the better if it gets a duration buff too.

In all seriousness, there needs to be a miracle or consumable item that strips active buffs off the target. That would be enough to balance things. Mostly.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Profound Still first thing out of the game if possible, if not then have some corrosive urns and destructive greatarrows as backup. They're slow and have poo poo vision so once they lose sight of you you can snipe them with impunity. You'll run them out of repair powder or buff casts eventually. Another option is to stay just out of range of the halberd poke and try and get some stunlock going when they have to rebuff. Since their slow and have poo poo vision you can also run off for a bit and heal.

e:

Genocyber posted:

Not like that many people use it. It's a pain if you do fight someone with that setup, but its pretty drat rare.
It's pretty common when you are hosting invasions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

On a build with 12 int/fth it's been lasting 90 seconds for me, same as always.

Does it count down in cutscenes? That would explain it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lalus posted:

I almost feel sorry for the guys who are still running with santier's/avelyn/monastery scimitar like they didn't figure out they were nerfed but gently caress if I'm telling them.

I ran into what I guess is the NEW META tonight. Full Havels/Grym Helm/Gowers Ring/ or that turtle armor for original fashion with a helix halberd and mastadon halberd in powerstance (I think). They use a shitload of buffs before doing anything then just poke, poke, the same move over and over. One poke does 20-30% damage. I got one down to about 30% health and he just turned his back and chugged his estus/repair powder then went back to poking. What am I missing about how to kill these guys?

Powerstance maces? Seems like that would be the most effective against massive armor. Maybe try poison? Or acid flasks! Break all his poo poo :getin:

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Hmm. Now that you mention debuffs - does Whispers of Darkness, that defense debuffing hex, do anything to those uber-tank buff builds?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lalus posted:

Gower's negates damage, nothing else. i.e. you can still stun 'em. And it is impossible to poise through anything with a stated poise damage of 35 or more. So when they do that just attack their back and break the Gower's. Keep Lloyds to prevent them from chugging again.

Takes No Damage posted:

Powerstance maces? Seems like that would be the most effective against massive armor. Maybe try poison? Or acid flasks! Break all his poo poo :getin:

Maces have pretty terrible damage output for PVP, and not good stunlocking ability. Poison is a good option. For weapons an elemental and buffed greatsword would be best.

Grayshift posted:

Hmm. Now that you mention debuffs - does Whispers of Darkness, that defense debuffing hex, do anything to those uber-tank buff builds?

It reduces their defenses by 100 points. So no.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What's the best way to keep an invader character low level? Guessing the only way would be backing up the save.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Skip absolutely everything aside from bosses, don't do any optional stuff. If you only fight bosses you can keep your SM pretty low. It will take a lot of invasions to jack it up a significant amount.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If you have mules use those to get all the gear you need also. Upgrading and farming upgrade materials can bloat your SM.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
I try to avoid fighting for the first minute until those weird defence and regen buffs wear off yeah. My problem is the damage of the spears and maybe a lack of patience. I need to be back out of their range then jump in for two hits and back out again. If I get hit I'm losing 30% so theres not much room for error. In the time the fucko turns his back to chug I can't get close enough to do decent damage. I did manage to break the gower's one time and he put another one on :negative: The fights with these guys take so bleedin' long I tend to black crystal out since I'm only blue invading for rank 3 anyway but poo poo, I'll have a shot when I run into them again.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm starting to feel bad for using a Poison Channeler's Trident. Two R2's and then you don' get this work. :getin: The Drakekeeper's Sword is nasty as gently caress, too.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Your Computer posted:

I'm one of the (apparently) few who enjoyed Blighttown :( And I think the Gutter is scary as hell.. it's like Blighttown in that one misstep will kill you... but it's pitch black! Add the horrible dogs and exploding mummies and you got my absolute least favourite place in the entire game. I've played around 6 characters now I think, and I always dread going to that place...

The problem with blighttown was that while it was dark and scary, it was also a slog in the figurative and literal senses. Once you've been through it once, then it's just a huge annoying speedbump with a bad framerate. The gutter has a similar dark, rickety aesthetic, but without the poison swamp to wade through and literal mosquitoes. The most annoying thing in the real world!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm starting to feel bad for using a Poison Channeler's Trident. Two R2's and then you don' get this work. :getin: The Drakekeeper's Sword is nasty as gently caress, too.

Nobody should ever feel bad about using the Channeler's Trident.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

VisAbsoluta posted:

Relax, wouldn't this be way too much work for you?

No? Drop red sign, summon, drop items, voila.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How is the sword you get from the ancient dragon soul?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lalus posted:

Best bet is probably to grab a poison whip and play a really evasive game until their buffs wear out. The poison part is because most good players are patient against poison builds which gives you room to keep your distance and wait. After that switch to the weapon of your choice and murder them. Alternatively just stop playing your character once it gets past 3mil SM.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know, I didn't get why everybody hated the hollow soldiers in the forest of fallen giants so much until I went in while in the CoC covenant trying to punch and dodge instead of block. And found out it's because they hurt you before they even begin an animation. :thumbsup:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

How is the sword you get from the ancient dragon soul?

It's pretty great, espeecially if you can manage to land the R2 point-blank to stack shockwave damage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

You know, I didn't get why everybody hated the hollow soldiers in the forest of fallen giants so much until I went in while in the CoC covenant trying to punch and dodge instead of block. And found out it's because they hurt you before they even begin an animation. :thumbsup:

Between this and the other hollow parrying you before you even attacked I'm genuinely beginning to thing you might be experiencing technical issues.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The spearmen are piles and piles of bullshit, though. YOU ARE SWINGING THAT SHIELD ABOVE YOUR HEAD IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone who goes out of their way to contact someone on the internet to tell them they're a scrub for killing them in a video game is actually the scrub all along.