Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Solenna posted:

And for the love of everything unholy put "cthulhu" and "lovecraft" tags in your tentacle pictures. I hope this helps!

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS. Holy poo poo. Your other advice is outstanding and thank you so much for it but I don't even know how that didn't cross my mind at all. I am a massive Lovecraft fan and I just. Wow. How in the world.

Ahem.

So you think that it's better to have them be awkward and long and trigger more search results than to have something that you can access at a glance? I was trying to make it easy to know what the product is instead of having to dig. I've found that people don't know a whole lot about printmaking and get really really confused. I guess you're right though - I have to have people there in the first place to be confused.

(P.S. Thank you about the Ram, I love all of those skulls a lot. I have them on small 4x4 squares I sell at places and I'm looking to get them on stickers. I probably sell the most of them haha.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Amaya posted:

So you think that it's better to have them be awkward and long and trigger more search results than to have something that you can access at a glance? I was trying to make it easy to know what the product is instead of having to dig. I've found that people don't know a whole lot about printmaking and get really really confused. I guess you're right though - I have to have people there in the first place to be confused.
yeah I think the lovely long titles work better unfortunately. If you can word it so that the first few words are the relevant stuff, the rest doesn't even show up until you click on the picture, or hover over it anyways.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
Just opened my new etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrimlockSpecial3
The old one was set up with a friend who has since decided he wants to quit and move out of state :<

I would be totally down to make a banner for SA and all that and pitch in the dough.

****EDIT****

Also: Enter GOONYGOON for 15% off $20 or more

AltruisticNemesis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 31, 2014

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
It's mah birthday next weekend so I will be running a sale June 6-8! Code Birthday29 will get you 29% off of any pre-made items up in the shop. 100% of all proceeds are going to be donated to my local low-income and homeless charity center called House of Neighborly Service.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011
Finally got my shop together. I'll be listing some more items soon.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CleoHalfpenny

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

ShrimpToast posted:

Finally got my shop together. I'll be listing some more items soon.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CleoHalfpenny

You might think about some way to make longer necklaces if requested. I like this but 16" is too small for me.

ShrimpToast
Dec 26, 2011

Comrade Quack posted:

You might think about some way to make longer necklaces if requested. I like this but 16" is too small for me.

That's a really good point. I'll put that in the description right now. If you would like one, I can make the chain any length you want. You could pick the colours for a custom one too.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

And my sale is live for the weekend!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Does anyone else get messages asking about how to pay for items? Like, if reading SA for years hadn't already killed my faith in the intelligence of humanity, this sure would. I barely even know how to respond.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I get that occasionally, especially since I accept other forms of payment (checks, trades, money orders) than is the standard paypal or credit card. I will always try to walk them through it since I figure it might be some nice little old granny wanting to buy something but not really knowing how internet checkouts work. Also, etsy keeps screwing with the icons.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
Sorry my shop was so barren when I first posted it, I'm slowly adding more and more things.
How do you guys typically advertise? Also to those who saw my shop- do y'all have any tips or notes for me, my work, or my shop? I'm looking to be the best I can be and any input is greatly appreciated and welcome.
The link again if you're too lazy to scroll up haha etsy.com/shop/primlockspecial3

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
My girlfriend started a shop on etsy a few months back. She initially wanted to sell some older Chinese items her dad had and it has expanded into a lot of vintage items she picks up at estate sales.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BelleBloomVintage

She's been slowly picking up sales, but it is slow. What's your experience with views translating into sales? Any advice?

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Sorry my shop was so barren when I first posted it, I'm slowly adding more and more things.
How do you guys typically advertise? Also to those who saw my shop- do y'all have any tips or notes for me, my work, or my shop? I'm looking to be the best I can be and any input is greatly appreciated and welcome.
The link again if you're too lazy to scroll up haha etsy.com/shop/primlockspecial3

EEE! I love your Space Cat! I suppose I'm biased, since I have a Space Cat too.

My shop - https://www.etsy.com/shop/AdorableAllureShop

I'm working together with my girlfriend. So far I've got up my plushies, my very first sewing pattern, and the vinyl decals we both make. Next step is her jewelry, once I figure out how to photograph it.

As far as advertising goes, I post on the forums here and on Facebook. We're planning to go to craft fairs in the local area soon, and we'll have business cards pointing back to the shop.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
finally got round to restocking my shop after a LONG hiatus.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Krakenkritters?ref=l2-shopheader-name

it's fluffy monster hats at the moment, but I'm hoping to add other accessories and maybe some art dolls over the coming weeks and months.

coupon code GOONYGOON for 10% discount off anything in the shop

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?
I just opened up my Etsy shop to try to sell some of my knitted critters. I've never really sold my stuff before so I'm unsure about what prices to charge. Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/YarnyardCritters

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My girlfriend kind of re-branded her etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LovelyRustic

She just put up some new stuff. Also, if you're in Portland, buy her stuff @ Hunt & Gather. :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Your prices look a bit low to me NoonOwl but I haven't studied the little plush market too closely. I think your Cerberus pup is adorable! I haven't seen anything like that before. If you can build a light box or construct something that uses at least a couple crisp sheets of white paper, I think that might be a good idea. Crisp, flat lines for backgrounds will make your photos look a bit more professional.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I'm not really sure if anyone here can help at all, but my fiance has been making customized glass etchings and is thinking about expanding to an Etsy shop. Now, we're not quite at that stage yet because first he's looking into getting some sort of vinyl cutting machine so that he doesn't have to spend hours hand-cutting stencils anymore. We had been looking at the Cricut machines until realizing they don't actually do custom designs at all, just pre-made cartridges. Does anyone here have experience with anything like that and have some advice?
thanks!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I'm not really sure if anyone here can help at all, but my fiance has been making customized glass etchings and is thinking about expanding to an Etsy shop. Now, we're not quite at that stage yet because first he's looking into getting some sort of vinyl cutting machine so that he doesn't have to spend hours hand-cutting stencils anymore. We had been looking at the Cricut machines until realizing they don't actually do custom designs at all, just pre-made cartridges. Does anyone here have experience with anything like that and have some advice?
thanks!

I don't have experience so this is secondhand info but I think the Silhouette diecut machine can import Illustrator files.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

I just finished telling Etsy that their new redesign of the shopfront is loving terrible. I'd rather the All Items page be the default. I want to see a shop's inventory immediately when I click on their name from search. Most people don't give a poo poo about social media or top picks by the store owner. I can't believe they thought shuffling the inventory behind another link was a good idea. My shop looks awful and redundant on the new home page. :argh:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

KasioDiscoRock posted:

thanks!

Expensive as hell but this showed up on my Amazon page today: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=507846

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

13Pandora13 posted:

Expensive as hell but this showed up on my Amazon page today: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=507846

That's actually cheaper than another one we were looking at, and we have a family friend who deals with Brother a lot so we might have an in there too. Thanks!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
finally getting some pics up on here

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Krakenkritters

code GOONYGOON for 10% off any item

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:
I'm in the process of overhauling my hardly-used shop right now - I changed the name, and I just listed my first few items today. I plan to do some more work on the shop in the coming days, and I have a lot more stuff to list as well. I crochet, and all that is up at the moment is jewelry, but I will be listing some hats and small plush soon, too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WildsGifts

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Pretty stuff.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Me again, not sure where else to ask this question but I know you'll all have experience with this so you're probably my best resource.

Anyone have any recommendations for tracking your shop expenses/income? I know I can make an excel sheet that's really simple if I want, but thought maybe someone here knew of a template or simple program that would have a bit more finesse. We're still likely going to open at Etsy shop at some point, but for now we're on a waiting list to get a booth at a permanent arts market that features 100 local sellers so we're trying to get things off the ground right now. Thanks!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Me again, not sure where else to ask this question but I know you'll all have experience with this so you're probably my best resource.

Anyone have any recommendations for tracking your shop expenses/income? I know I can make an excel sheet that's really simple if I want, but thought maybe someone here knew of a template or simple program that would have a bit more finesse. We're still likely going to open at Etsy shop at some point, but for now we're on a waiting list to get a booth at a permanent arts market that features 100 local sellers so we're trying to get things off the ground right now. Thanks!

Yeah, I just use Excel.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Etsy used to have a few good ones they suggested.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I just use excel as well. You can download spreadsheets from both Etsy and Paypal, and between the two I get all the information I am required to have.

I've also found it very handy to use Paypal strictly as my business account. I am lucky enough to do enough sales through Paypal that I use my paypal debit card to purchase all my supplies as well as pay my monthly Etsy bill for fees/shipping labels.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What can I tactfully say to someone who didn't spring for the 2 day shipping option and is complaining that the order hasn't arrived yet and there's no tracking number?

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

So I'm a small amount of dollars away from beating my monthly sales record by a significant amount of dollars. Doing a 25% discount for an extra push. Code is JULY2014, active today and tomorrow. https://www.etsy.com/shop/roll4damage

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My girlfriend kind of re-branded her etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LovelyRustic

She just put up some new stuff. Also, if you're in Portland, buy her stuff @ Hunt & Gather. :)

She has added a bunch of stuff recently.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get back into Etsy, I do personalised portraits and stuff! I'm going to get some more artwork on there soon as well...
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BeckyDraws

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Fatkraken posted:

finally getting some pics up on here

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Krakenkritters

code GOONYGOON for 10% off any item

Shared your shop with some UK Burning Man peeps today.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Hi guys! My mom and I are hoping to start an Etsy shop sometime this year. She's great at sewing and needlepoint and crocheting, so that's probably what we'll focus on. Does anyone have any tips/guides on how to start up with Etsy, what we should consider, and how to set things up?

Also, is needlepoint worth trying to sell? I see plenty of funny needlepoint framed things like this: and was wondering if people would actually buy stuff like that on Etsy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Urban Wizard posted:

Hi guys! My mom and I are hoping to start an Etsy shop sometime this year. She's great at sewing and needlepoint and crocheting, so that's probably what we'll focus on. Does anyone have any tips/guides on how to start up with Etsy, what we should consider, and how to set things up?

Also, is needlepoint worth trying to sell? I see plenty of funny needlepoint framed things like this: and was wondering if people would actually buy stuff like that on Etsy.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Before I put something up, I search around using terms I'd expect my customers to use and see who else is selling similar items - and see how many sales they get, and at what price points.
If I don't see anyone selling anything similar, I take a shot and sometimes it works out and sometimes it bombs. :shrug:

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

Someone recommended I take photos of my decals "in action" and it worked wonders. I started getting more sales and favorites immediately. So if she wants to sell clothes, then take pictures of a person wearing them. If it's needlepoint or crochet, create a little area of the house that's well decorated and take photos of it in there. People really like to see what your product will look like in their house or on their body. It's easier to imagine that when you see stuff in it's proper setting instead of on a mannequin or on fake nails like I was doing.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

What I make:

This is where I sell it and this is the coupon for 15% off your purchase: GOON15

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

KasioDiscoRock posted:

thanks!

I just ordered a Cameo Silhouette (http://smile.amazon.com/Silhouette-...ameo+silhouette) for cutting custom vinyl. It came highly recommended and had a decent price. I'll be getting into early next week and I'd be happy to field any questions I can if you haven't bought that Brother machine already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

unabaumer posted:

I just ordered a Cameo Silhouette (http://smile.amazon.com/Silhouette-...ameo+silhouette) for cutting custom vinyl. It came highly recommended and had a decent price. I'll be getting into early next week and I'd be happy to field any questions I can if you haven't bought that Brother machine already.

We actually did get the Brother one already, but thanks. I'd be curious to learn how well it works anyway. The one we got cuts very precisely, but it does have some difficulties with designs where there are details within details within details (something like the BSG logo for instance). It especially doesn't like to resize things like that because it obviously views each little detail as an individual piece, but we're figuring out how to work around it's limitations pretty well.