Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Stealthgerbil posted:

I was running freeNAS on its own computer and it seems to be good so far. I was just wondering how building a basic PC would be versus buying a synology box. If I can build a PC for $200 + the raid card, that is pretty much the same as the synology box, it would be pretty awesome.

Also I saw these cheap 4gb fiber cards http://www.stikc.com/QLogic-QLE2460-HBA-Adapter-PF323

Would that be a cheap way of getting speeds of greater then 1gbit for my home lab setup? From what I read about doing any sort of high availability virtual machine setup, 1gbit ethernet is just not fast enough.

Getting a managed switch and setting up bonding.

Multipath for iscsi (don't bond it) on storage vlans with max mtu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

three posted:

Why do they recommend against it as a VM?

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/please-do-not-run-freenas-in-production-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/

Basically it comes down to FreeNAS was intended to run on baremetal, not within a VM. However there are plenty of people who have done just fine with FreeNAS as a VM (I did too, but then I wanted to see the difference if I ran it on a separate system with a Core2Duo CPU and 8GB of RAM). You just have to know what you're doing and have a reliable backup in place, otherwise don't store irreplaceable data on the VM in case everything goes sideways. Also, FreeNAS will take as much RAM as you can throw at it, and not many people have the freedom to chuck 8, 12 or even 16 GB of RAM in their virtual environment at a single VM.

As it stands I finally decided to just grab 4x2 TB Seagate NAS drives and install an enclosure in my ESXi box and set up a software RAID-10 in my Linux VM. After I configured SAMBA and installed a 4 TB external drive as my backup I never looked back. The advantage to such a system is that if I lose my ESXi box I just need to transfer the hard drives to a new machine and I can have my files back in a matter of a few hours. Even if all the drives were a complete loss I still have my backup and can restore from it, and if everything is a total loss then I've got bigger problems than restoring some files.

I still want to set up a huge loving storage array, but it'll have to wait until I have a good bit of money saved up and someplace I can put it.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

My plan was to get four intel ssds and a cheap raid card and put them in my supermicro with a l5520 and 6gb of ram. I was going to use it as a cheap alternative ro a san.

Also is freenas reliable enough for small business?like under 50 users or 6-8tb of storage.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Stealthgerbil posted:

My plan was to get four intel ssds and a cheap raid card and put them in my supermicro with a l5520 and 6gb of ram. I was going to use it as a cheap alternative ro a san.

Also is freenas reliable enough for small business?like under 50 users or 6-8tb of storage.

Depends on the hardware and how much bandwidth is being used simultaneously. If all 50 users are accessing the NAS at the same time and streaming 1080p videos then you're going to need a poo poo-ton of bandwidth, which means link aggregation or Fibre Channel - that can get expensive fast. 8 GB of RAM is the bare minimum recommended for FreeNAS (naturally more is better), and with that many users I think 16-32 GB will be the sweet spot. You can probably put 4x4 TB Seagate NAS drives in the server (they were on sale for around $175 this weekend) and come up with about 7 TB of storage, but with multiple users accessing them they might get a little overwhelmed.

I've only put together a single NAS box, so I'm only coming up with things I can think of from the top of my head. I'm pretty sure you'll get better responses and more knowledgeable replies in the Packrats Unite! The consumer NAS/storage megathread.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

If you DirectIO the raid card you probably won't be able to tell it's on a VM it is basically identical to how it performs bare metal.

Most of the reasons I see not to run it as a VM comes out of assumptions that people are hitting "next next next" to build their FreeNas VM

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Welp I won a server on ebay that I bid on and forgot about

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

three posted:

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/please-do-not-run-freenas-in-production-as-a-virtual-machine.12484/

That's all a bunch of hooey to me so I run freenas on esxi 5.5 with vt-d. I can shutdown esxi, reboot the machine with a freenas thumbdrive and import my datasets as if nothing happened.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 1, 2014

dox
Mar 4, 2006
My buddy is taking his machine back that I have been using ESX on for my lab (i5-2550 + P8P67 running ~10 VMs). I need to build a new machine and specc'd out:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590S
Mobo: ASUS H97M-E/CSM
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.

Already have 32GB of memory, a 4 port Intel NIC (compatible with ESX) and a few drives to use- figured this is the most reasonable build as I didn't want to spend $300 on an i7-4770 and the i5-4570S seems to have all the bells and whistles that I will need but still wanted to check here and make sure.

Edit: per the build thread, replaced CPU to i5-4590S and and motherboard to ASUS H97M-E.

dox fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

dox posted:

My buddy is taking his machine back that I have been using ESX on for my lab (i5-2550 + P8P67 running ~10 VMs). I need to build a new machine and specc'd out:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590S
Mobo: ASUS H97M-E/CSM
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black
PSU: SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W.

Already have 32GB of memory, a 4 port Intel NIC (compatible with ESX) and a few drives to use- figured this is the most reasonable build as I didn't want to spend $300 on an i7-4770 and the i5-4570S seems to have all the bells and whistles that I will need but still wanted to check here and make sure.

Edit: per the build thread, replaced CPU to i5-4590S and and motherboard to ASUS H97M-E.

If you take the drives and RAID controller away this becomes a cheaper option, you'll also get more cores*

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Over 200 dollars for a 1TB HDD? What's the deal here?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SEKCobra posted:

Over 200 dollars for a 1TB HDD? What's the deal here?

59.99 each, quantity 4.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Are there any opteron processors that I should keep an eye out on ebay for?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Stealthgerbil posted:

Are there any opteron processors that I should keep an eye out on ebay for?

Unless you need +8 cores you're probably better off just buying a Vishera* AM3+.

Other than that the 6344 is a pretty nice sweet spot.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 3, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Moey posted:

59.99 each, quantity 4.

Woops, completely missed that, now it all makes sense.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Would a 120gb SSD be enough for an OS drive to install CentOS for starting to study for my RHCSA? I've got a 1tb drive I can plug in as a dedicated data drive if need be. X4 Phenom II processor, 8 gigs of ram.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Would a 120gb SSD be enough for an OS drive to install CentOS for starting to study for my RHCSA? I've got a 1tb drive I can plug in as a dedicated data drive if need be. X4 Phenom II processor, 8 gigs of ram.

Yup. That hardware is more than adequate.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

Centos will install on a 4200RPM 60GB, 512MB ram, P4.

If you're still learning linux, I'd suggest installing it in a VM first.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Centos will install on a 4200RPM 60GB, 512MB ram, P4.

If you're still learning linux, I'd suggest installing it in a VM first.

In just about any other situation I would, but my PC HD poo poo the bed last week and I realized I hadn't actually used it for anything fun or productive for about a year. Everything I need personally is on my Macbook so looks like a small lab machine is already ready to go!

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

A question for the thread, not entirely lab related but close enough.

Looking to get a lab going for VCP study, and deciding whether to beef up my desktop or fill out a Shuttle system. The issue is, in about 9 months time I'm going to be moving from Australia to Germany, and I don't want the lab to go to waste.

Does anyone have experience moving their computers and the like overseas? Is it worth the hassle? My current thinking is to get a Shuttle since that would be smaller and easier to move. I have a Surface Pro for general computing so I wouldn't need to move my desktop that way. Would I need to replace the power supply or just the power cable for the different plug?

Any other thoughts?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question but saw this on Craigslist and figured I'd ask if it was a good deal or not.
Looking to start my CCNA certification and was thinking about getting lab to practice on. Saw this for $250:
- 5x Cisco 2950 WS-C2950-24 Catalyst 24-Port Switches
- 2x CISCO 2621XM ROUTERS
- Console Cable
- Power Supplies
- Crossover cables

It seems like a decent deal just looking at the stuff on eBay. I'm new to all this and figured you guys might have a good idea if if is or not. Thanks in advance.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

It does look like a good deal; though those routers don't look to be able to run IOS 15, they ought to be able to run 12.4T.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone have suggestions on software for generating "suspicious" traffic for something like Cisco ASA/CCNA Security labbing? Command line stuff is fine, and actually might be preferable, since I'd probably be running this on a VirtualBox instance which works better with light-weight stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK let's all pretend this isn't a weird question:

Has anyone had much experience with Hercules (the IBM z-Series platform emulator)? I'd love to ping a few questions off anyone if they have the time. Want to get it up and running in a Lab environment for reasons but I'm so green when it comes to this platform. Herc-390 project has a pretty good install document and it's pretty thorough, but I'd love some real-world examples.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on software for generating "suspicious" traffic for something like Cisco ASA/CCNA Security labbing? Command line stuff is fine, and actually might be preferable, since I'd probably be running this on a VirtualBox instance which works better with light-weight stuff.

How about something like tcpreplay?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Or maybe targeting yourself with metasploit?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Docjowles posted:

Or maybe targeting yourself with metasploit?

Is there a version of metasploit that is somewhere as usable as dSploit? The software from metasploit.com is very uncomfortable to use.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Gonna start trying to get GNS3 to work, job has a few images I can play with available for anyone but there's so many versions for each model its confusing what I actually need. I'm taking ICND1 this week and hope to have ICND2 done within a month, want to move on to either CCNA Sec or Voice afterwards.

'Adventerprise' version of an image is basically everything in the IOS, right?. What about "universal" or "jk9s" then? Quite a few of those bins as well floating around and not sure if I should bother copying those also or not.

Sorry if wrong thread.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

mythicknight posted:

Gonna start trying to get GNS3 to work, job has a few images I can play with available for anyone but there's so many versions for each model its confusing what I actually need. I'm taking ICND1 this week and hope to have ICND2 done within a month, want to move on to either CCNA Sec or Voice afterwards.

'Adventerprise' version of an image is basically everything in the IOS, right?. What about "universal" or "jk9s" then? Quite a few of those bins as well floating around and not sure if I should bother copying those also or not.

Sorry if wrong thread.

For most everything you're doing you want at least the advanced IP services with k9 (encryption) support. See the feature map at this link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3700-series-multiservice-access-routers/prod_bulletin0900aecd802a94c0.html

Advanced Enterprise services is most likely overkill but all it will do is hog up extra resources on your machine (so don't run it if you're short)

Universal images aren't very useful as they require licensing for many of the features you'll want, before a certain version features were based on the IOS you loaded which is what you want.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

If you take the drives and RAID controller away this becomes a cheaper option, you'll also get more cores*

Yo Dilbert - I built pretty much this exact same build. Where can I find instructions on nesting ESXi?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

CrazyLittle posted:

Yo Dilbert - I built pretty much this exact same build. Where can I find instructions on nesting ESXi?

http://www.v-front.de/2014/01/how-to-provision-nested-esxi-hosts-on.html

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2012/06/12/creating-a-nested-lab/

Pretty easy to get setup.

This may be worth a look for you as well:
http://www.labguides.com/2014/03/11/autolab-v1-5-with-vsphere-5-5-support/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Should be no real issues using a Dell PERC 6i (specifically T774H) in a regular PC with ESXi 5.5U1, right? I can't imagine why there would be issues but I figured I'd check before I pulled the trigger.

Have four 2TB drives that I want to throw into a RAID10, since these are going for $50 on eBay figured it would be a good solution.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Not that I know of, if not you can inject the driver off dells site.

Also if anyone needs it I have an ICM lab configured on my google drive PM me and I can give you a DL link and the logins.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Any advice on setting up some NX-OS images to work on DCICT?

E: I found a copy of Titanium, all set- just need to learn how to tie in a VM running off host only to GNS3.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 12, 2014

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Question for you guys, I'm using a mac and want to manage my ESXi (free) 5.5 host. What's the best way to do this? Since this is just a home lab I'm not looking to buy anything and using OS X I can't get vSphere Client and it seems like VMWare is pushing everyone to their web based management tools but I can't seem to find anything not related to vCenter.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

smokmnky posted:

Question for you guys, I'm using a mac and want to manage my ESXi (free) 5.5 host. What's the best way to do this? Since this is just a home lab I'm not looking to buy anything and using OS X I can't get vSphere Client and it seems like VMWare is pushing everyone to their web based management tools but I can't seem to find anything not related to vCenter.

You fusion IO a vpshere or run some windows box for vpshere C# client. Or just force the flash/html.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

You fusion IO a vpshere or run some windows box for vpshere C# client. Or just force the flash/html.

So basically "you can't"? I'm not sure what "force the flash/html" means.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

smokmnky posted:

So basically "you can't"? I'm not sure what "force the flash/html" means.

It doesn't run well in WINE or mono. Virtualize windows. Or use the web client. Those are basically your options in a professional environment anyway unless the VIC has stopped updating constantly and requiring admin permissions you probably don't have.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Am I reading it wrong or is the web client only available with vCenter?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

smokmnky posted:

Am I reading it wrong or is the web client only available with vCenter?

You are right.
web client requires vCenter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

smokmnky posted:

I think Fusion 7 pro can manage ESXi VMs. Haven't used it for that before so no idea what the functionality is like.

The good news though is this problem may be addressed in an upcoming release!

• Locked thread