Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I don't even know how you talk about classic Ellis sci-fi without mentioning Transmetropolitan. It's not as polished as some of his later stuff (Planetary), but it's also more than 5 or 6 loving issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Planetary is also a good option.

Planetary rules. You can pick up the omnibus for under fifty bucks. I never really read Transmetro as a sci-fi story, it just happened to be set in a crazy sci-fi future. Not Ellis but Prophet and Manhattan Projects are two of the best ongoing science fiction books going on right now. Also I just read the Walter Simonson Alien adaptation and it was awesome even though I have seen the movie a million times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Planetary is something I'm reading through slowly because I don't want to binge and be done with it.

Mimir posted:

I don't even know how you talk about classic Ellis sci-fi without mentioning Transmetropolitan. It's not as polished as some of his later stuff (Planetary), but it's also more than 5 or 6 loving issues.
Maybe people assumed it was obvious, I dunno. It's certainly worth recommending though.

Is there any actual acknowledged link between Futurama and Transmetropolitan? They feel so similar in a lot of ways.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is there any actual acknowledged link between Futurama and Transmetropolitan? They feel so similar in a lot of ways.

I really don't see it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't see it.

Futurama has things like career chips and suicide booths and eating sentient species. There's a Transmetropolitan story about how people waking up from cryosleep have trouble adapting to the crazy world. Nixonian presidents in both. That kind of thing.

There are obvious differences in tone, and both use common sci-fi scenarios and tropes. I just get the impression that the Futurama writers room had a few copies of Transmet in it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 30, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transmetropolitan is on sale, incidentally.
https://www.comixology.com/Transmetropolitan-Sale/page/2055

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2014

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I often like Ellis, but Orbital is like the worst thing I've ever read. It's terrible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mimir posted:

Never read it. :shrug:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

redbackground posted:

Never read it. :shrug:

You should fix that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Ellis also wrote a short series (four issues, maybe) called "Ignition City". You may have seen this panel:

And Transmetropolitan is loving awesome, especially if you like Hunter S. Thompson.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Ellis also wrote a short series (four issues, maybe) called "Ignition City". You may have seen this panel:

And Transmetropolitan is loving awesome, especially if you like Hunter S. Thompson.

It also somehow predicted Mitt Romney before he became famous.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

It also somehow predicted Mitt Romney before he became famous.

He predicted a generic rich businessman would run for president?????????

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

No the Smiler looks a lot like Romney and they have the same policies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I think he was based on Tony Blair.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Ha, I'd not realized just how short Ministry of Space is. So on to Planetary I guess.

I was talking to a co-worker today about it, and he was of the opinion that I should read all of Ellis' other work first, since none of it is as good as Planetary (in his opinion). I've already got the first collection, so I'm going to do that next, but drat if that's not some serious praise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Capn Jobe posted:

Ha, I'd not realized just how short Ministry of Space is. So on to Planetary I guess.

I was talking to a co-worker today about it, and he was of the opinion that I should read all of Ellis' other work first, since none of it is as good as Planetary (in his opinion). I've already got the first collection, so I'm going to do that next, but drat if that's not some serious praise.

If you were looking for more Planetary, you'd probably be a little disappointed in everything else he's done, but despite re- using some character archetypes, there's enough variety in the rest of his work to keep it interesting.

As far as I know, Planetary and Transmetropolitan are his only long form works, most of his other stuff is 12 issues or less, so that adds to its reputation.

I just want him to write something else like Crecy.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I finished this week's all-new Invaders and Fantastic Four, and I think I like Jim Hammond/The Human Torch. Are there any good stories with him that I should read? I don't think I've really ever read anything with him in it before.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not really his story but he has some good moments in Remender's Secret Avengers, which you should read anyways

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read it, but Ed Brubaker's The Marvels Project was about those original dudes, right? Wasn't that good?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fritzler posted:

I finished this week's all-new Invaders and Fantastic Four, and I think I like Jim Hammond/The Human Torch. Are there any good stories with him that I should read? I don't think I've really ever read anything with him in it before.

He was in West Coast Avengers during John Byrne's run, which gave us this kinda-sorta-impossible panel:

But he wasn't really the focus of much attention there.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Hammond was the Torch in Marvels right? Read Marvels.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Skwirl posted:

If you were looking for more Planetary, you'd probably be a little disappointed in everything else he's done, but despite re- using some character archetypes, there's enough variety in the rest of his work to keep it interesting.

As far as I know, Planetary and Transmetropolitan are his only long form works, most of his other stuff is 12 issues or less, so that adds to its reputation.

I just want him to write something else like Crecy.

It's not sci-fi, but Fell is great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

It's not really his story but he has some good moments in Remender's Secret Avengers, which you should read anyways
That's what I was going to say.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

In the funny panels thread I saw some Power Girl panels that looked interesting. If I wanted to get the whole run Power Girl: Power Trip would be the collection to get right?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MH Knights posted:

In the funny panels thread I saw some Power Girl panels that looked interesting. If I wanted to get the whole run Power Girl: Power Trip would be the collection to get right?
Yup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bout to wrap up Thanos Imperative, is the Annihilators stuff worth reading?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Bout to wrap up Thanos Imperative, is the Annihilators stuff worth reading?

Barely. It's a pretty big step down, but it's not horrible either. It doesn't really go anywhere, either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is that the series that had Rocket working a desk job in the backup stories? Cause those rocked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh is there something I'm supposed to read before the current GotG series, because everyone's back from the dead all of a sudden.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Uh is there something I'm supposed to read before the current GotG series, because everyone's back from the dead all of a sudden.

~That's Our Bendis!~

It isn't explained yet. Bendis has promised an explanation at some point in the future, but odds are it won't be a satisfying one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's fine, bringing dudes back is always convoluted and/or bullshit, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My only experience with comic books were as a teenager in the early and mid 90s reading a buddy's X-Men collection. On a whim over last weekend I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited. After reading through some of this thread I saw that that Hawkeye (2012) comics were held in pretty high regard. I've read through the first six and am really enjoying both the art and story. To be specific, I like the retro(almost 1970s Bond like) covers and the use of shadows and interesting color. I don't know poo poo about comic books or art I just know this is a bit different than what I think of when I think comic.

I also enjoy seeing that Hawkeye is almost a regular dude. He doesn't have any insane godlike powers and often gets pretty messed up trying to fight against unlikely odds.

Does anyone have recommendations for either similarly unique art directions or more of the "everyday man rising to the occasion" type hero?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hekk posted:

My only experience with comic books were as a teenager in the early and mid 90s reading a buddy's X-Men collection. On a whim over last weekend I bought a month of Marvel Unlimited. After reading through some of this thread I saw that that Hawkeye (2012) comics were held in pretty high regard. I've read through the first six and am really enjoying both the art and story. To be specific, I like the retro(almost 1970s Bond like) covers and the use of shadows and interesting color. I don't know poo poo about comic books or art I just know this is a bit different than what I think of when I think comic.

I also enjoy seeing that Hawkeye is almost a regular dude. He doesn't have any insane godlike powers and often gets pretty messed up trying to fight against unlikely odds.

Does anyone have recommendations for either similarly unique art directions or more of the "everyday man rising to the occasion" type hero?

Immortal Iron Fist by the same creative team (Hawkeye writer Matt Fraction co-writing with Ed Brubaker and Hawkeye artist David Aja), Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Daredevil, starting with Mark Waid's 2010 run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hekk posted:

He's got actual super powers, but Daredevil might fit, I don't know what all is on unlimited, but look up Frank Miller's run or Bendis/Maleev both have amazing art and great writing. The recent Mark Waid run is good too, artists change up some but they are all pretty good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hekk posted:

If you like that art style, anything by Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips duo. I don't know if Criminal is on Unlimited since it's part of Marvel's creator owned imprint, but it's a straight up crime book, no super heroes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Not quite Everyday Man Rising To The Occasion but Brubaker's Captain America is one of the best spy books I had read in a long time. I believe the omnibuses are still mostly in print and I'm sure a lot of the material is on unlimited.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I am checking out Immortal Iron Fist, the Frank Miller Daredevil stuff, and I am intrigued by Capt America so as soon as I can sort through this I am going to start looking at some of Brubaker's stuff too.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hekk posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I am checking out Immortal Iron Fist, the Frank Miller Daredevil stuff, and I am intrigued by Capt America so as soon as I can sort through this I am going to start looking at some of Brubaker's stuff too.

Don't skip the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run from the mid-aughts. I'm two months into a Marvel Unlimited subscription and it's the best thing I've read thus far.

Speaking of which, I've been using this reading order guide from ComicBookHerald. I've read all the pre-Avengers Dissembled stuff, Dissembled, Secret War, and am currently reading House of M. Curious if anyone has thoughts on that guide, knows of a better one, or sees any gaps that I shouldn't miss. He recently added character/team reading guides which should fill in some non-event stuff that I wasn't too sure about, so that should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You'll probably like Astro City too, or really any of Busiek's stuff. His wheelhouse is humanizing the whole superhero experience.

Gotham Central, too