Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Personally, I had no problem with CLAMP. Until I found out that the manga version of Cardcaptor Sakura had lesbian undertones between elementary students.

Not to say that homosexual relationships are bad or anything. I just don't want to read about elementary school kids having them in a series about fighting magic card monsters. :ughh:

It wasn't just the manga version, it was totally in the anime too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HitTheTargets posted:

Welcome to Anime. Have you heard about Kill La Kill?

I get the feeling I don't want to.

RatHat posted:

It wasn't just the manga version, it was totally in the anime too.

It was? I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so I might've been blinded to that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you saw the American release Cardcaptors, it was pretty much a 4Kids style reedit of the series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The last CLAMP-related thing I watched (Blood-C) was so bad at characterization I thought for sure it was actually meant as a meta-criticism of the series it rebooted.

Turns out nope, they were 100% earnest about it. CLAMP sucks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Hey guys, I'm running a JJBA Fate Accelerated game over in the appropriate subforum. Player spots are already largely filled up but if anyone wants to peanut-gallery it, you're welcome to.

I just want to say that this looks cool and I'll be watching how it goes. Maybe even get my friends to run it with me myself if it goes well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I'm very sorry to bring this up again, but I've gotten to King Crimson. I think I get his power, but in practice, I'm not really sure how this is different from The World. Yeah, technically he's not freezing time, but he's still moving in his own little world while people are unaware.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dio can punch someone while time is frozen and kill them.

If Diavolo tries to punch someone while time is erased, then it won't do any good, since the action of punching them will be erased too. Instead, he uses his power to predict his opponent's action and attack them once the timeskip is over.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Momomo posted:

So I'm very sorry to bring this up again, but I've gotten to King Crimson. I think I get his power, but in practice, I'm not really sure how this is different from The World. Yeah, technically he's not freezing time, but he's still moving in his own little world while people are unaware.

It's like the Futurama episode "Time Keeps on Skippin'" - basically, time skips forward for everyone except Diavolo. Diavolo can't interact with anything during this erased time. It's similar to The World, but while Diavolo can't interact with people during the time skip, it's more disorienting for people afterwards.

Diavolo also has another power, Epitaph, which allows him to see forward in time - so when he erases time, he knows exactly what will happen during that erased time. This lets him get into primary position to shove his fist through someone's chest.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I feel like the All Star Battle game helped me understand his power in practice. While he is erasing time nothing can affect him and people still move, but he in turn cannot touch or affect anything else until he stops erasing time. So, he sets himself up as close to the opponent as possible to get the drop on them and attack first.

The World on the other hand, can just straight up kill or smash anything while time is stopped.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The way it sounds, it's pretty much a worse version of The World then. Not really a bad thing I guess, but I was expecting something way more confusing the way I've heard people talk about it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

The way it sounds, it's pretty much a worse version of The World then. Not really a bad thing I guess, but I was expecting something way more confusing the way I've heard people talk about it.

It's mostly just that his power is a poor fit for the medium.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

It's mostly just that his power is a poor fit for the medium.

If you're saying that it was confusing as hell trying to figure out what was going on in static comic panels (with kinda crap scans), then I agree. Again, seeing it in motion in the game is what helped me grasp it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you ignore the actual mechanics behind KC, its effects are pretty much equivalent to teleporting everything in the world to where it would be in a couple of seconds, whereas The World is equivalent to releporting DIO somewhere. The other big difference is that DIO can interact with stuff during the timestop, but he can also be interacted with, whereas KC just moves everything to where it would be while removing any interaction between KC and the rest of the world.

In that sense KC actually is superior to The World as it can dodge stuff by going into a timeskip and it also can see ten seconds into the future so it knows where it should jump for maximum tactical advantage. With that said, an actual matchup between The World and KC would probably boil down to that whoever activates his stand first wins.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Momomo posted:

Yeah, it is technically worse but he has 2 powers and that balances it out. Like, he would not have been caught with his pants down by Jotaro suddenly developing his own time-stop.

It also has some other advantages. This is kinda far-fetched but imagine that some rats with sniper rifles are trying to kill you and your friends. If you have a time-stop you have to stay close to your friends to protect them or risk getting closer to the rats to activate the TS and leaving your friends at their mercy in the process. No such problem for time erasing, just charge the rats and, if they shoot, time-erase to both protect your fellas and punish the rodents.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Erasing time is apparently a hell of a lot less taxing than freezing time, so that's cool too.

Cerebral Bore posted:

an actual matchup between The World and KC would probably boil down to that whoever activates his stand first wins.

Diavolo would have to attack The World in order to win wouldn't he? That seems like it'd make it kind of hard for him to strike first.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Diavolo would have to attack The World in order to win wouldn't he? That seems like it'd make it kind of hard for him to strike first.

Dude has precognition. He's probably gonna get the jump on DIO by default.

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

Cerebral Bore posted:

Couldn't DIO just time stop as soon as he's able and within attack range? Once KC is out of his jump he's vulnerable for a few seconds at least, but I'm curious what happens if DIO stops mid King Crimson being used who has 「priority」?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
The reasonable explanation, I suppose, is:

King Crimson activates

Dio stops time
Dio beats the poo poo out of Diavolo
Time resumes

Skip is over, nullifying the damage Dio did.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think he'd be able to beat the poo poo out of Diavolo, since he can move through the erased time. If The World still freezes during the effect though, I'd think Diavolo's ability would be canceled out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Cerebral Bore posted:

DIO's a vampire though, no matter how much Diavolo smacks him he's not going to win. He'd have to attack The World, and DIO mostly brings him out when he's freezing time.

Really if this fight actually happened Diavolo would probably just get the hell out of dodge after realizing he can't do poo poo.

Comedy answer: DIO's ~charisma~ enthralls Doppio, who then betrays Diavolo.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 4, 2014

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Momomo posted:

The thing that makes King Crimson one of the strongest stands in the series is that it makes Diavolo completely invincible provided he doesn't gently caress up. As long as Diavolo is using Epitaph to watch the future, he can always erase any period of time where he gets attacked. His offensive powers might be a little weaker than The World, but his defense is much stronger than just about any other stand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Polneraff came up with one of the best counters with cutting himself then looking at the pool of blood on the ground. If it suddenly got much bigger use Silver chariots speed to slash everything close to him.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Leaked preview of this Friday's episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNxqWZR_og

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why does Polnareff look like Jerry Seinfeld?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Because Alice is a garbage program. That may be the funniest thing I've ever seen done in it though.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

an actual matchup between The World and KC would probably boil down to that whoever activates his stand first wins.

I think it comes down to a few things.

1. Who activates their power first. If Diavolo doesn't start predicting and erasing time first, Dio can get the drop on him and vice versa.

2. If the first shot is a kill or not. No matter who gets the drop, Diavolo is still human, but Dio is a vampire. If Dio gets it anywhere other than the head, Diavolo is screwed because Dio can still stop time if his skull isn't crushed. Diavolo however could not survive a hole getting punched through his chest. Another thing, Diavolo has to stop erasing time to actually attack, so Dio may have time to react and stop time before a hit lands.

3. Stamina. It takes a lot of stamina for someone to stop time, and it takes a lot of stamina for Diavolo to erase time. But again, Dio has that vampire strength that is beyond a normal human's, so if the fight doesn't end quick and they instead end up in a loop of abusing their power in a attempt to one up the other, Diavolo loses in the long run.

4. Range. Think about this, Diavolo has to be in melee range to attack someone, and can only use the environment to his advantage in very situational ways (Using someone else's bullets to kill the guy on the other side of him). Dio however, can move and affect anything during stopped time, ie knives, steamrollers, shitload of cars and boats like in the OAV. Dio does not need to be in melee range to launch his attacks on Diavolo, can setup as many attacks as he is capable of doing so with The World's strength and speed and accuracy, and gives no shits about collateral damage.

Anyway, to actually see them fight would be both pretty cool and kind of fitting. God Vs Devil.

Side Question: Do you think Diavolo, if aware of Dio's power and having a time-based stand of his own, would be able to see stopped time in his predictions? Or would he only see Dio blink around?

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 5, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure isn't the kind of manga to have a fight like The World vs. King Crimson, it's not an interesting fight at all.

There's a reason why both of them were defeated by asspullery.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Leaked preview of this Friday's episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNxqWZR_og

What loser even made this video it looks like crap...wait a minute.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

JDRockefeller posted:

Dio can still stop time if his skull isn't crushed.

DIO can stop time even with a crushed skull. Like, I'm pretty sure that happened during his fight with Jotaro, his brain was all hosed so he couldn't even stand, so he just stopped time with a car passing by to grab onto and flee.

fake-edit:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

a cartoon duck posted:

DIO can stop time even with a crushed skull. Like, I'm pretty sure that happened during his fight with Jotaro, his brain was all hosed so he couldn't even stand, so he just stopped time with a car passing by to grab onto and flee.

fake-edit:

That fight is gonna great animated. It's too bad that when he gets his head crushed it's gonna look like this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What loser even made this video it looks like crap...wait a minute.

Haha I didn't even know you were a goon. I just found that through a youtube search. Good job.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Admittedly I am proud of it, if only because I got an A on that assignment.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm reading through the manga now after getting into the series with the anime last year. I'm currently on the Mariah chapters in part three. Is her power... just laying down outlets for dumbasses to just stick their fingers in and become magnetized? That's kinda of amazing, and I want to know how she pitched that to DIO.

Also, people were talking about Jojo doujins earlier, and I'd like to point out my favorite:

I've never actually read it, I just think the cover is hilarious.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Butt Ghost posted:

I've never actually read it, I just think the cover is hilarious.

That is great. Jotaro looks so out of place, and has a "why am i even here" face to match. :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Mariah can lay outlets without even touching something, so she could just watch Jojo and co and wait for them to put their hand on something and then quickly put an outlet there.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is the gayest loving thing I've ever read. :allears:

I can't wait to see it animated.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot how awful those scans were, holy poo poo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Butt Ghost posted:

So you haven't read part 5 then? Just, like, in general?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Butt Ghost posted:

I always wondered if the magnetism scene from Wild Wild West was storyboarded from this sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

So you haven't read part 5 then? Just, like, in general?
Nah, I'm going in order. I've only read through one and two so far.

• Locked thread