Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Xenocides posted:

Are you Benny's brother?

Probably some troon (PST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Angela Christine posted:

I hope your ESP is all better now?
Whoops nice typo..should have... seen it coming. :v:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I do have a physical degree. I'm not posting it here because it has my real name. Benny Ortiz is a pseudonym. I'm no longer starting my cover letters with "I am proud to announce..." I can't remember where I got that idea. I'm going to follow Peacemaker's advice to write cover letters:

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Dear Sir or Madam (if you do not know the name of the hiring manager)

I am applying for the job posting you had at XYZ (website or location or bulletin board or bathroom stall). I have attached my resume for your purusal. My contact information is on both the resume and on this email. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Respectfully yours,

Abigbagofdouche
C.999.999.9999
Email address
That'll be my format for most of the CL listings that give me little if any information at all pertinent to the position and ask only for a resume. For the ones which give more information, I'll tailor my cover letters accordingly.

I won't put "online sales" on my resume or in my cover letters, even though I'd be selling books for the library online. What I will do instead is focus all my volunteer efforts on selling enough books to where they would hire me on to do it regularly. One of the most effective ways to sell something is to create a demand. My library is literally stuffed with donations. No matter how many we recycle or how many we put into boxes into storage, we still get buried by donations. The other day I walked into the room where we sort through all the donations and withdraws. There's a six-foot long table, about a foot and a half wide, and it was stacked with books about two, almost three feet high. We hold giant book sales, but only once every few months where we sell them by the pound. What the library needs is space and, more importantly, money. If I can move enough books and turn enough of a profit, I'm positive that I can create the kind of demand for myself to where the higher-ups will have to hire me. Notice I said "my volunteer time". I'm currently volunteering two hours a day for two days a week as per their scheduling. I'll talk to my superior about volunteering for five days out of the week at two hours a day and move from there. The rest of my time will be spent applying for jobs. It's a long shot, I realize that. But the person who works the front desk inside the administrative office told me that they notice hard work and dedication. I'm already on a first-name basis with most of the important members of the library. If I can show them how much time and effort I'm willing to put into this, hopefully they'll give me the opportunity to work for them.

I'm volunteering for three reasons. One, it keeps my busy. Two, I genuinely enjoy helping out the library. I love libraries, always have. Three, volunteer work looks good on my resume in the absence of of a job. It shows my prospective interviewer how much time and effort I'm willing to put into a non-paying position in relation to how much of the same I could offer for a paid one. I'll eventually incorporate my library work into my resume once I get the ball rolling. But for now, that's my immediate plan.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The reason why I'm not snapping up the books myself to sell online is because I have no idea what the market is for used books and it would take an initial investment for me to make. It's why I volunteered my (limited) online sales services to the library in the first place. This will be a way for me to dip my toe in the water and maybe figure out a system to where I know how many books and which ones I should by and how I should sell them to turn enough of a profit.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It's perusal, not purusal, you clown.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

It's perusal, not purusal, you clown.
His typo, not mine.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My bad, Benny.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

His typo, not mine.

Yeah, he doesn't spell check his own stuff, why would he spell check someone else's stuff, even if he was sending it out in cover letters like it was his? It's just too much work, he doesn't have time for that sort of thing

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Well to be fair, he's putting in 4 hours a week at the library. Got a lot on his plate.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I do have a physical degree. I'm not posting it here because it has my real name. Benny Ortiz is a pseudonym.

No poo poo, it's a pseudonym. Lay your diploma on a goddam table, cover your name up with a piece of cardboard torn off a cereal box, write your username and today's date on the piece of cardboard, Joe Ramirez.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

kizudarake posted:

No poo poo, it's a pseudonym. Lay your diploma on a goddam table, cover your name up with a piece of cardboard torn off a cereal box, write your username and today's date on the piece of cardboard, Joe Ramirez.
I could do the same with another guy's diploma and pass it off as mine. Seriously, the only way I could prove that I do have a diploma is to post it displaying my real name and verifying that it's mine. Which I'm not going to do because I'm very aware that there's certain people on the internet who are paying attention me and who would dox and harass me if I give out any more information about myself.

EDIT: Phew, almost poked the bear with a stick back there.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 4, 2014

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Benny the Snake posted:

EDIT: I almost forgot. The reason why I'm not snapping up the books myself to sell online is because I have no idea what the market is for used books and it would take an initial investment for me to make. It's why I volunteered my (limited) online sales services to the library in the first place. This will be a way for me to dip my toe in the water and maybe figure out a system to where I know how many books and which ones I should by and how I should sell them to turn enough of a profit.

There's an easy way to figure that out. Go to ebay, look up used books and see what they sell for and how quickly they sell. You will soon find out that they sell for extremely low prices, if at all. Pretty much the only used books that sell for any decent amount are used textbooks or antiques/rare editions, and even those are hard to sell. It's like that Dave Hester guy from Storage Wars who bought a locker with thousands of used books, which of course he assumed he could sell for at least a dollar each. In reality, they are all probably gathering dust in his garage somewhere. I don't think this will ever make you or the library much money, no matter what system you come up with.

e: About the diploma, if you just did it right now, with some piece of paper with your pseudonym and the date or whatever and your name blocked out, people would believe you. Yes, theoretically you could have gotten some guy to lend you his diploma to post on the internet, but come on.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benny the Snake posted:

I could do the same with another guy's diploma and pass it off as mine. Seriously, the only way I could prove that I do have a diploma is to post it displaying my real name and verifying that it's mine. Which I'm not going to do because I'm very aware that there's certain people on the internet who are paying attention me and who would dox and harass me if I give out any more information about myself.

But that's ok, because people aren't asking for that, they just want to see a diploma with your UN on it, even if it's someone elses or whatever. We're ok with you trying to fake it, just show us the diploma.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Turtlicious posted:

But that's ok, because people aren't asking for that, they just want to see a diploma with your UN on it, even if it's someone elses or whatever. We're ok with you trying to fake it, just show us the diploma.
Sez you. Knowing SA, they'll be goons asking for my long-form birth certificate next.

Dear God, Benny Truthers...:smith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Sez you. Knowing SA, they'll be goons asking for my long-form birth certificate next.

Dear God, Benny Truthers...:smith:

It's almost like you're a habitual liar or something.

:munch:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny's got a degree. He paid his money and showed up to class and they gave it to him. Didn't he have a low gpa?

Benny, what are you going to do if your mom suddenly doesn't want to or is unable to take care of you? Live with your uncle? I guess you could sleep outside the library.

And how's Danny doing!?

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
As natural as breathing.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you can't even upload a picture with the name covered up it really brings your credibility into question. You've given out enough info that anyone who really wanted to track you down would have done it already.

Of course, we wouldn't even be questioning you if you weren't a habitual liar. It's almost as if your poor decisions have consequences, and you've lost any good will you might have had.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

in_cahoots posted:

I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you can't even upload a picture with the name covered up it really brings your credibility into question. You've given out enough info that anyone who really wanted to track you down would have done it already.

Several people have already. It's pretty easy to find him on LinkedIn.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

My library is literally stuffed with donations. No matter how many we recycle or how many we put into boxes into storage, we still get buried by donations.

Let's think about this for a moment. Why is your library stuffed with donations? Why are people giving away their books by the truckload? When was the last time you saw a bunch of people opening up used bookstores in your town?

The answer is never because there's basically no money in this venture. Here are some ways you could make this work:
- Help them organize and run another big Book By the Pound sale.
- Research local paper companies and recycling places to see if any of them buy books for reprocessing into paper. You'll need to get a quote for poundage.

Who in the hell wants to buy a bunch of donated library books? Well, apart from my dad but he's probably read everything in the mystery section already so he'd just pass.

Benny the Snake posted:

Notice I said "my volunteer time". I'm currently volunteering two hours a day for two days a week as per their scheduling. I'll talk to my superior about volunteering for five days out of the week at two hours a day and move from there. The rest of my time will be spent applying for jobs.
Fukkkkk 4 hours a week? You currently work 4 hours a week as a grown man? Holy poo poo.

Don't bother uploading a picture of your degree, get the gently caress off the internet and go find something productive to do. Go mow the lawn (don't touch the spinny parts of the mower). Go ride a bicycle. Do anything in the world except stay online a second longer. Maybe in a little while you'll start filling your time with poo poo that isn't so drat shameful and you can come back a year from now and tell us how you've got a job and a sweetass new apartment and you can pity us losers who are still posting in here.

Don't worry, we'll keep the thread open for you.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm currently volunteering two hours a day for two days a week as per their scheduling.
Ask for more hours cause I spend more time on the dump each week.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Zedd posted:

Ask for more hours cause I spend more time on the dump each week.

probably more productive there too

CuddleChunks posted:

Let's think about this for a moment. Why is your library stuffed with donations? Why are people giving away their books by the truckload? When was the last time you saw a bunch of people opening up used bookstores in your town?

The answer is never because there's basically no money in this venture. Here are some ways you could make this work:
- Help them organize and run another big Book By the Pound sale.
- Research local paper companies and recycling places to see if any of them buy books for reprocessing into paper. You'll need to get a quote for poundage.

Who in the hell wants to buy a bunch of donated library books? Well, apart from my dad but he's probably read everything in the mystery section already so he'd just pass.

To be perfectly fair, when it comes to selling random stupid poo poo that's just going to end up in some estate sale when someone digs it out of a dead person's basement in 30 years, doing it online where you don't have a physical location and all the rent and utilities that implies is probably the best way to do it.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
At the risk of muddying the waters (for lurkers, not Benny; Benny's waters are muddied enough), question for the HR people in the thread. Would it be better to send a cover letter that may be skipped over than to not send one?

I've worked for a few organizations (my current one included) that bin applications that come without cover letters. That may have to do with our field, our position and each individual reviewer, but it seems like sending a (well-written, concise) cover letter would be erring on the side of caution. The worst outcome is that it won't get read, provided it doesn't out you as a Benny, whereas a lack of cover letter might get you dismissed out of hand. Is that wrong?

(I'm not arguing whether a cover letter whether a cover letter should be important, just that I've seen groups where it is.)

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I realise this sounds quite hypocritical as I earlier said I don't really read them that closely (unless the CV sparks my interest anyway), but having a cover letter tailored to the role is a mental tick in my head as not having one makes it seem like this is just one of many jobs you've applied for and have done zero thought re: this role specifically or the organisation you're applying to work at. I will always open and look at them quickly, but not read every last word (often this is a time thing) - so just keep it short and to the point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ursine Asylum posted:

probably more productive there too

To be perfectly fair, when it comes to selling random stupid poo poo that's just going to end up in some estate sale when someone digs it out of a dead person's basement in 30 years, doing it online where you don't have a physical location and all the rent and utilities that implies is probably the best way to do it.

Online means postage though. Postage is a killer if you're selling paperbacks worth less than a dollar.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Benny, the library is not going to pay you to sell used books online. That would require funding for that position, probably more than your library is willin to dedicate to "guy who sells used books for a buck online". ...how much are you planning on selling the books for? Will shipping be free?

Again, another goon posted above as well and you ignored me last time: how's Danny? Is he working?

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

His typo, not mine.

YOUR resume, not his. Spell check it you big dummy.

quote:

Benny, you can't even spell check your own resume. Do you REALLY think anyone here believes you will go through the trouble to get another person's diploma?

Also, that group of people already has all of your personal info and have posted it for everyone to see multiple times. No one particularly cares.

Robot_Rumpus fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 4, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Everyone please vote this thread a 1 so it gets gassed.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Ok, "Benny Truthers" is pretty funny.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
How does a man manage to rationalize that 4 hours of unpaid work a week is doing enough with his dire situation?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

So you're saying you lied about graduating, Chico Mantegna.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

YOUR resume, not his. Spell check it you big dummy.

Benny, you can't even spell check your own resume. Do you REALLY think anyone here believes you will go through the trouble to get another person's diploma?

Also, that group of people already has all of your personal info and have posted it for everyone to see multiple times. No one particularly cares.

Benny is literally just quoting a post from this thread, not his resume. Even Benny wouldn't leave "Abigbagofdouche" in his resume.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, be sure delete the BB code quote tags when you copy/paste that cover letter.

cname fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 4, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

argondamn posted:

Even Benny wouldn't leave "Abigbagofdouche" in his resume.

Well now he kind of has to.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Benny, you should join the french foreign legion.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

argondamn posted:

Benny is literally just quoting a post from this thread, not his resume. Even Benny wouldn't leave "Abigbagofdouche" in his resume.

I seriously would not put it past him.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

SASS doesn't care/already knows your real name you doofus. What exactly do you think they are going to 'dox' you about? Your parents already know what a hopeless loser you are and you don't have an employer or friends.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Benny, when are you going to take care of your teeth? I'm actually sincerely kinda worried about you in that regard, cause that can come back to bite you, big time.

Like, I've only been away from the dentist for about 9 or 10 months, and noticed a few dark spots on some parts of my teeth, and am currently freaking out about it. How do you manage to sleep at night knowing how many cavities you have?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Benny, when are you going to take care of your teeth? I'm actually sincerely kinda worried about you in that regard, cause that can come back to bite you, big time.

Like, I've only been away from the dentist for about 9 or 10 months, and noticed a few dark spots on some parts of my teeth, and am currently freaking out about it. How do you manage to sleep at night knowing how many cavities you have?

He doesn't have money or insurance, and refuses to call the state to see how long processing times are/what his status is.

... When I started this post, I was feeling really generous and was going to type a whole screed about how unpleasant it can be wanting medical or dental care when you can't afford it, then I remembered the 'too lazy to call and see when poo poo's gonna go through' bit and I have lost all sympathy. Again. :negative:

Benny, have you called Medi-Cal yet?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Benny should become a full-time traveling motivational speaker for other people just like him.

The cool part about this plan is that they'll all sign up, and then find excuses to not attend, so you don't have to actually give the speech!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
The crazy thing is the entire thread told him to get insurance. He decided to trust his mentally unstable mother who was the reason he started this thread now he doesn't seem to know if she even applied for insurance.

• Locked thread