Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
oh gently caress off

who the gently caress wrote that?

quote:

’I begin by acknowledging the traditional owners of the land on which we are meeting and pay my respects to their elders past and present.’’

Why do otherwise intelligent people do this? No one believes it, it does no good, and it perpetuates the myth that land is everything.

:ironicat:

i got banned fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Ex-ALP politician / IPA member Gary Johns I think?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Guessing it's a Bolt piece.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Gary Johns for the Australian.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He was president of the Bennelong Society, an organisation that advocated the provision of welfare for Indigenous Australians under the same rules as for all other Australians.

:crossarms:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Christ, that's noxious.

Re business/finance and statistics: when I was doing my Maths degree, a lot of our stats classes were compulsory for other students, including psychology, education, and business. My fellow Maths students and I dreaded having to pair up with business students in particular because they are, almost without exception, absolutely abysmal at it. Where the actual Maths students generally have it as a rule to never study for stats exams (I didn't turn up for lectures and got straight HDs), the business students failed it left, right and centre.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon

quote:

Other than professional Aboriginal leaders, Pilger did not interview any successful Aborigines. He did not seek to understand the pathways by which Aborigines become successful

I think he means success as a white person, money = success. More money = better person. I find it astonoshing that the Aborigines don't understand or want to be involved in a society that kidnapped their children from them, killed their ancestors and buried their bodies in mass graves, deceitfully stole land from them and to this day denies any of this happening and shirks any responsibilities of taking ownership of the problems. I just don't understand why you wouldn't assimilate into a society that does that.

How also do they not understand the concept of money that was introduced into their society 200 years ago. The fact that we paid them with alcohol for most of their working lives not even 50 years ago wouldn't have anything to do with them being successful, right?

I mean that's the only thing that you can base a persons success off of, it certainly isn't any personal qualities because have you ever met a successful person that didn't literally kill their own children for the blood sacrifices to the corporate gods.

i got banned fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 4, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

the business students failed it right, right and right.
ftfy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Who the hell can write something like "Aboriginal overlord" and not have their brain spontaneously combust?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

i got banned posted:

I think he means success as a white person, money = success. More money = better person.

I mean that's the only thing that you can base a persons success of, it certainly isn't any personal qualities because have you ever met a successful person that didn't literally kill their own children for the blood sacrifices to the corporate gods.

I was confused about this because he certainly interviewed "successful" Aboriginal people - filmmakers, journalists, etc. But I guess they're not white so it doesn't count!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Jumpingmanjim posted:

the Aboriginal industry

A thing someone actually believes

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Only CEOs and merchant bankers are successful duh. They are the purest of the ~*Neo-Liberals*~.

Also introducing a bunch of diseases to a population that never had them before is pretty a-ok!

i got banned fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 4, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Latika Bourke posted:

Clive Palmer says he has written to PM Abbott's CoS to apologise is he caused her any anguish by singling her out in parental leave debate.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

I see you were also trying to find Utopia online.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lowy Institute Poll of Australian attitudes to stuff.

quote:

Key Findings
  • Australians believe both China and Japan have equal claims to the title of ‘Australia’s best friend in Asia’.
  • Australians appear comfortable with the government spying on other countries – even allied countries. The majority of Australians believe it is acceptable to spy on China (65%), Indonesia (62%) and East Timor (60%), but also on the United States (54%) and even New Zealand (51%).
  • In a striking shift in public opinion, 45% of Australians now see global warming as a ‘serious and pressing problem’, up 5 points since 2013 and 9 points since 2012. 63% of Australians say the government ‘should take a leadership role on reducing emissions’, while only 28% say ‘it should wait for an international consensus before acting’.
  • In a strong endorsement of the Government’s “Sovereign Borders” policy, 71% of Australians agree that the government should turn back boats when safe to do so.
  • For the third year in a row, the Poll reveals a high number of Australians, particularly young Australians who are ambivalent about democracy. Only 60% of Australians, and just 42% of 18 - 29 year olds, believe that democracy is preferable to any other kind of government.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
To be fair Australians won't realise global warming is a thing until we're all dead. But I take my opinions from pub talk and most people think Abbott is doing a better job than Juliar because Labor waste.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Muyb better get started on the almost 3 in 4 Australians.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Please describe the market mechanisms which you believe will lead to universities implementing only a modest increase in fees, preferably referencing why these did not lead to any of those universities not implementing the maximum allowable fee increases under the Howard reforms.

I found the universities' modelling so I can use their analysis:

They model three scenarios - one where there is a simple offset, one where they charge the international student fee (thereby pocketing 100% of the government contribution as a surplus) and the middle one where they charge a fee in between.

https://www.universitiesaustralia.e...ts#.U46hYDeKD7R

Page 2 shows the changes to fees by degree with a 29% average increase in fees across the university.

Law, Accounting, Admin, Economics and Commerce Students get a 3% decrease in fees in real terms. (assuming 2.5% non-compounded CPI pa) FTW! :D The only doubling is in Environmental Studies 110% and this is because of cancellation in environmental assistance (which is yes hosed by the government).

Flaws in salary modelling

On P2 of the Universities' Australia report they noted that they used the latest edition of Graduate Careers to get the starting salaries to do their repayment calculations. (That's the FY13 edition) I know that you might be thinking that I am going to accuse them of using the FY13 numbers here instead of the FY16 numbers. Nope!

The reported FY13 starting salary number $77.5K in Graduate Careers and the starting salary number that Universities' Australia used was $58K. This is the FY10 number. So Universities' Australia is comparing FY16 fees with FY10 wages.

Well done! :golfclap:

Also surprised to see that the starting salaries for women in engineering was $78K compared to men at $77.5K. :D
Source: http://graduatecareers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Beyond_Graduation_2013_(final).pdf

Growth in salaries rate:

According to the Graduate Careers, median salary growth rate from FY10 to FY13 has been $50K to $67K or some 34% (they had a typo of 32%) or slightly more than 10% pa. The salary growth rates for Engineers has been reported to be higher than this. Meanwhile Universities' Australia report states "Income is expected to grow at 4% pa". Well that's interesting because their report uses 6.4% growth in Nursing salaries over 8 years. It does not show what it does after that.

While suggesting that they base their numbers on the Graduate Careers data. Fantastic guys!

No income progression events
One of the great things at being at work is when you get a new job that pays more. ie a promotion or an income progression event over and beyond the continuing LPI based increases in pay. The Universities' Australia report does take into consideration these events. In some of their scenarios and only at year 3 for Engineers and only a single event in nursing at year 2. The scenario B for nursing shows 6.4% pay rise per year for 8 years.

Which is the first year?
The modelling makes year 1 the year you enrol in university. By "taking 11 years to pay it off" it means 11 - length of degree to pay it off. See footnote 3.

Maybe if I am bored I will redo the modelling myself using the Graduate careers data and the Universities' Australia fee data.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Quoting this for the new page as it's beautiful.

What was that herd song? 77%? Doesn't look as though it's changed much according to the Lowy Institute thing Dr. Spaceman linked.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

norp posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/04/tony-abbotts-delayed-departure-for-indonesia-blamed-on-labor

Seriously? Labor's fault?
These guys really don't understand that they are not in opposition any more I guess.

quote:

The fleet includes two leased Boeing Business Jets and three Bombardier Challengers operated by the RAAF's 34 Squadron and based at Canberra International Airport.

"These aircraft are very old, they're well maintained, they're very serviceable but there are some issues with age and we've got to deal with them and we need to trade out of them," Johnston said.

They do know this poo poo is recorded, right ?

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-737/raaf/a36001.html
code:
Ordered new by Boeing Sales Corporation for Royal Australian Air Force

Powered by CFM International CFM-56-7B26 engines
Rolled off the production line at Renton - December 01, 2000
Aircraft was fitted with winglets
First flown as N1787B at Renton - December 08, 2000
Accepted by Boeing Business Jets as N372BJ at Seattle - February 21, 2001
Sold to General Electric Capital International Holdings Corporation, Connecticut - February 21, 2001
Entered onto the U. S. Aircraft Register as N372BJ - February 23, 2001
Registered to Boeing Domestic Sales Corporation
Executive cabin fit-out done by Ozark Aircraft Systems, Northwest Arkansas
Cancelled from the U. S. Aircraft Register - June 11, 2002
Delivered to the Royal Australian Air Force - June 11, 2002
Departed Tucson on delivery flight to Australia as ASY213 - September 08, 2002
Arrived Canberra at conclusion of delivery flight - September 10, 2002
Delivery route: Tucson - Mexico City - Los Cabos - Honolulu - Canberra
Aircraft based at Canberra with No 34 (V.I.P.) Squadron
Current with the Royal Australian Air Force
http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-737/raaf/a36002.html

code:
Ordered new by Boeing Sales Corporation for the Royal Australian Air Force

Powered by CFM International CFM-56-7B26 engines
Rolled off the production line at Renton - June 29, 2000
Aircraft was fitted with winglets
First flown as N1786B at Renton - July 10, 2000
Entered onto the U. S. Aircraft Register as N10040 - July 10, 2000
Registered to Boeing Domestic Sales Corporation
Sold to Boeing Domestic Sales - December 01, 2000
Accepted by Boeing Business Jets - February 26, 2001
Sold to General Electric Capital International Holdings Corporation, Connecticut - February 26, 2001
Executive cabin fit-out done by Boeing at Wichita, Kansas
Delivered to the Royal Australian Air Force - September 03, 2002
Aircraft based at Canberra with No 34 (V.I.P.) Squadron
Current with the Royal Australian Air Force
Meanwhile, Qantas the City of Canberra been in service since 1989, and it would easily have done 100x the number of flight hours, and Qantas is now thinking about ordering a replacement.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Is the lowy institute one of those places that only poll boomers silly enough to have a phone line?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gotta keep an eye on those loving Kiwis, you never know what they're up to.

I will refrain from commenting on the rest of it because gently caress Australia.

e: ONLY (!) 42% "agree that ‘no asylum seeker coming to Australia by boat should be allowed to settle in Australia’."

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Aren't you talking about the mode? You can't even keep your bullshit statistics straight. The median is the mode (and mean) in normally distributed data. Surprise Uni fees are not normally distributed. gently caress your maths is terrible, and you're a finance/business lecturer?

Its possible to have a median that no one pays (even total with different middle most values). With the way fees are charged in discrete sums, the distribution would be 'glassy' with a gap between subsidised and full-fee students. The median is one of the worst measures of central tendency for this type of distribution.

Most people will pay the mode, and the mode will increase if caps are increased or removed. Its hard to argue the opposite with many universities anticipating higher fees.

No the Mode is the item that occurs the most irrespective of where it occurs:

Assume 9 people paid the following: 1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11, 200.

Mean = (1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 5 + 8 + 9 + 11 + 200) / 9 = 27 = average.
Mode = 3 (repeated 3 times)
Median = 5 (four larger numbers and 4 smaller)

So More people pay the mode than any other number, but typically the number of people paying the mode is very small in any 'real' distribution like maybe 1% might pay the mode and 0.2% pay some random number from the sample. In this case 3/9 or 1/3 of the people pay the mode. ie not most.

In this case the average person pays 5 or less, no one pays the average 27, the average is very heavily weighted by a single data point - the 200. The mode occurs randomly in a distribution.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 4, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

nogthree posted:

Is the lowy institute one of those places that only poll boomers silly enough to have a phone line?
Doesn't seem like it.

quote:

Methodology
For this opinion poll, the market research company I-view conducted a total of 1,150 interviews. Survey interviews were conducted by fixed and mobile telephone. One thousand interviews were conducted with a sample designed to be nationally representative of all Australians 18 years and older. Quotas were set for each state and territory, with broad age-group and gender quotas. Interviewers continued making calls until each quota was filled. An additional 150 interviews were conducted with 18-29 year-olds, giving a total sample of 1,150 interviews for questions presented in tables 11-14, 17-21 and 27 in this report.

Within each geographic area, telephone numbers were randomly selected from a regularly updated active residential and mobile phone number database. The results were then weighted to reflect the demographic profile of the Australian population aged 18 years and over, using data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

These weights were used in the production of all the tables for this report. On a truly random sample of 1,000 the margin of error is 3.1%, which means there is a 95% chance that responses from the sample fall within a range of 3.1% either side of the notional collective response of the whole population. Since this sample was stratified (by state/territory, age-group and sex), the error figure is a guide only. Where the results for a sub-sample are reported, the margin of error is greater.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile, the guy behind me while I was waiting at the lights when I went to get my groceries was talking to what I assume to be his female significant other, about "the Arabs" coming over here as refugees and "taking our jobs". I felt like saying something but I didn't feel like getting pushed in front of a bus.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Doesn't seem like it.

I can't rationalize my way into it being incorrect then. gently caress Australia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile in today's most fun line in the news.

quote:

The two minutes of "madness" ended when Ramon crashed into the rear of a car, was thrown from his bike and lacerated his testicles, which hit the fuel tank.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Meanwhile, the guy behind me while I was waiting at the lights when I went to get my groceries was talking to what I assume to be his female significant other, about "the Arabs" coming over here as refugees and "taking our jobs". I felt like saying something but I didn't feel like getting pushed in front of a bus.

Dumb argument we need more positive net immigration to boost the economy.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

No the Mode is the item that occurs the most irrespective of where it occurs:

In this case the average person pays 5 or less, no one pays the average 27, the average is very heavily weighted by a single data point - the 200. The mode occurs randomly in a distribution.

The mode occurs randomly in a random distribution. It's relatively predictable in certain important types of distribution, particularly the normal distribution.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Hypation posted:

The reported FY13 starting salary number $77.5K in Graduate Careers and the starting salary number that Universities' Australia used was $58K. This is the FY10 number. So Universities' Australia is comparing FY16 fees with FY10 wages.

Actually they used a starting salary of $56k. Median reported salary was $78k which means that half of engineering graduates would be earning less than that.

Hypation posted:

According to the Graduate Careers, median salary growth rate from FY10 to FY13 has been $50K to $67K or some 34% (they had a typo of 32%) or slightly more than 10% pa. The salary growth rates for Engineers has been reported to be higher than this.

According to this, median growth for the industry is around 4% and similar to national average. http://www.apesma.com.au/workplace/market-salary-rates/survey-reports/engineers/june_2013_summary.pdf

The numbers you're comparing are the reported median starting salaries of ~250 grads in 2010 and a fresh ~250 grads 2013; not their salary progression in the 3 years.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Sanguine posted:

What was that herd song? 77%? Doesn't look as though it's changed much according to the Lowy Institute thing Dr. Spaceman linked.

They are @itstheherd on twitter, I've already poked them about the poll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQnGqdFO9EY

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The mode occurs randomly in a random distribution. It's relatively predictable in certain important types of distribution, particularly the normal distribution.

And in that case it is also equal to the average. Assuming something is normally distributed is a neat trick to cut down the analytical work required but dangerous if the actual distribution is skewed or has multiple peaks.

Ragingsheep posted:

Actually they used a starting salary of $56k. Median reported salary was $78k which means that half of engineering graduates would be earning less than that.

....and half more. In any case you'd expect a right skew due to the minimum wage kicking in at around $30K and the fact you don't see too many (employed) engineers on the minimum wage. So however they did it, the $56K number is low and they cannot claim that their data represents the typical case then.

Ragingsheep posted:

According to this, median growth for the industry is around 4% and similar to national average. http://www.apesma.com.au/workplace/market-salary-rates/survey-reports/engineers/june_2013_summary.pdf

The numbers you're comparing are the reported median starting salaries of ~250 grads in 2010 and a fresh ~250 grads 2013; not their salary progression in the 3 years.

I assumed a grad with 3 years experience would be paid more than a fresh grad. So their pay rise should be more than starting FY10 compared to starting FY13.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Hypation posted:

The mode occurs randomly in a distribution.

I think you missed a couple of words in that sentence.

edit: beaten like an unemployed under-30

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

you forgot this one:

63% of Australians say the government ‘should take a leadership role on reducing emissions’, while only 28% say ‘it should wait for an international consensus before acting’.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hypation posted:

you forgot this one:

63% of Australians say the government ‘should take a leadership role on reducing emissions’, while only 28% say ‘it should wait for an international consensus before acting’.

I literally quoted that exact bit.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I literally quoted that exact bit.

On second view, yes you did.

But 63% think proactive climate, 28% say wait for global consensus and presumably and that leaves almost 1 in 10 people who think we should say gently caress the rest of the world lets do nothing anyway.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hypation posted:

And in that case it is also equal to the average. Assuming something is normally distributed is a neat trick to cut down the analytical work required but dangerous if the actual distribution is skewed or has multiple peaks.

The distribution being skewed doesn't suddenly make the mode random. It changes its position relative to the mean and median, yes. That's actually one of the ways you can quantify and measure skew.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ, let me review the maths in a bit, I do have a degree in it after all :eng101:

First of all the discussion of university funding has come up. The very idea that universities would not be increasing fees due to the free market and competition is laughable. Every university is buckling under severe financial pressure, why is this you ask, could it be because of gross public mismanagement that glorious private enterprise would fix? No, it's because starting in 1996 and continuing from then Howard and following governments have hosed universities funding, so every year they have had to do more with less. Don't take my word for it though, lets have a look at some graphs! I made these myself with data I trawled from the ABS website.

First of all, funding against student numbers. Lots more students, lots more dollars!

See that doesn't look too bad, what are all these privileged unis whinging about students go up, funding goes up right? Except oh wait a second. I forgot to account for inflation. Silly me, I'm just an engineer, what the gently caress do I know about economics! Thanks Zabernist for that help.

Ah poo poo, that looks less good, you can see the big bight that Howard took out of the sector. This is because he ceased to index funding in 1997 from memory, so every year universities had to do more with inflation % less dollars. This went on for a long time. You can see though that Labor actually tried to fix this and pumped some money desperately needed back into the uni sector. It wasn't enough though, they haven't "caught up" from that long freeze.

Here's the final graph, this is the important one, it shows the %change in students and in inflation adjusted funding since 1992.

Student numbers up 90%, funding up about a 35%.

Before you make any arguments about economy of scale, most of the universities costs aren't from building new buildings, they mostly have the infrastructure already there from 1992. It's about teaching aids, lecturers, labs, tutors, demonstrators which while yes can have some economy of scales, when you nearly double your student population poo poo gets hosed really fast.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Hypation posted:

I found the universities' modelling so I can use their analysis:

They model three scenarios - one where there is a simple offset, one where they charge the international student fee (thereby pocketing 100% of the government contribution as a surplus) and the middle one where they charge a fee in between.

https://www.universitiesaustralia.e...ts#.U46hYDeKD7R

Page 2 shows the changes to fees by degree with a 29% average increase in fees across the university.

Law, Accounting, Admin, Economics and Commerce Students get a 3% decrease in fees in real terms. (assuming 2.5% non-compounded CPI pa) FTW! :D The only doubling is in Environmental Studies 110% and this is because of cancellation in environmental assistance (which is yes hosed by the government).

Flaws in salary modelling

On P2 of the Universities' Australia report they noted that they used the latest edition of Graduate Careers to get the starting salaries to do their repayment calculations. (That's the FY13 edition) I know that you might be thinking that I am going to accuse them of using the FY13 numbers here instead of the FY16 numbers. Nope!

Well done! :golfclap:

Also surprised to see that the starting salaries for women in engineering was $78K compared to men at $77.5K. :D
Source: http://graduatecareers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Beyond_Graduation_2013_(final).pdf

Growth in salaries rate:

According to the Graduate Careers, median salary growth rate from FY10 to FY13 has been $50K to $67K or some 34% (they had a typo of 32%) or slightly more than 10% pa. The salary growth rates for Engineers has been reported to be higher than this. Meanwhile Universities' Australia report states "Income is expected to grow at 4% pa". Well that's interesting because their report uses 6.4% growth in Nursing salaries over 8 years. It does not show what it does after that.

While suggesting that they base their numbers on the Graduate Careers data. Fantastic guys!

No income progression events
One of the great things at being at work is when you get a new job that pays more. ie a promotion or an income progression event over and beyond the continuing LPI based increases in pay. The Universities' Australia report does take into consideration these events. In some of their scenarios and only at year 3 for Engineers and only a single event in nursing at year 2. The scenario B for nursing shows 6.4% pay rise per year for 8 years.

Which is the first year?
The modelling makes year 1 the year you enrol in university. By "taking 11 years to pay it off" it means 11 - length of degree to pay it off. See footnote 3.

Maybe if I am bored I will redo the modelling myself using the Graduate careers data and the Universities' Australia fee data.

Does not answer the question

Gough Suppressant posted:

Please describe the market mechanisms which you believe will lead to universities implementing only a modest increase in fees, preferably referencing why these did not lead to any of those universities not implementing the maximum allowable fee increases under the Howard reforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
The VC of UWA (who is paid >2x as much as his counterpart at Oxford) had this to say about it:

quote:

The first is the deregulation agenda, including allowing universities rather than government to set their own fees. This we welcome. We believe the greater autonomy will help us better compete in a globally competitive market by being able to enhance our student experience, conduct more high impact research, and attract the best academics from around the world.
How in the gently caress does increasing domestic student fees help the university compete for overseas students? If anything, increasing costs here makes studying overseas a less relatively expensive option for domestic students. Also, since when is tuition meant to pay for research?

hooman posted:

Before you make any arguments about economy of scale, most of the universities costs aren't from building new buildings, they mostly have the infrastructure already there from 1992.
It's a bit tangential, but Australian universities have a history of spending large amounts of money on buildings in the last few years. Uni Adelaide have dropped $250 million on new buildings over the past 5 years, while crying poor when the NTEU wanted to negotiate staff benefits of about an extra million dollars a year.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread