Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
There is one exit from the Depths. You're almost to the end. The giant rat is not the boss.

Do not get hit by the poison frogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cursed frogs?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Cursed frogs?

cursed, poison, I honestly never notice the difference; until the effect is maxed out (never gotten cursed).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You will notice the difference if you get cursed. Do not get cursed.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh how bad could it possibly be

also i'm sure the next area will be much nicer

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

delta534 posted:

If you have not already, unlock the fps in dsfix but cap it at 30.

That was it. All the docs are wary about unlocking the fps and how it can break the game, but they all assume a 60fps limit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Depths was a pain my first time through, but once you unlock the shortcuts it's a breeze to navigate. This is the truth for most of the game really, I actually dread the idea of a new playthrough because I'll probably keep running to where I know shortcuts eventually will be.

Do your shortcuts remain unlocked in New Game+? Do you still have all the keys you picked up on your first run?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

Dark Souls: Hubris is the most dangerous foe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Curse is an instant death. It also cuts your max HP in half when you respawn and stays that way until you remove it. You can't use humanity to break a curse, there's an item specifically for it. Don't get cursed.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
which bonfire do i ascetic for the monastery scim, first or second in aldia's?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jerusalem posted:

Do your shortcuts remain unlocked in New Game+? Do you still have all the keys you picked up on your first run?
No, and just the Master Key. If you didn't start with it, buy it from Domnhall before you finish NG.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I managed to get BKS, BKGS and BKH from the three you meet, which of these three weapons are the most useful?

I'm in the sewer, just before killing the Giant Rat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Koorisch posted:

So I managed to get BKS, BKGS and BKH from the three you meet, which of these three weapons are the most useful?

It's a matter of preference. Which moveset do you like most? I'm fond of the Halberd, personally.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Koorisch posted:

Probably the Halberd, although if I acquired the Greataxe I would go strength all the way.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The three you meet? Did I miss something?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Yaoi Mandel posted:

which bonfire do i ascetic for the monastery scim, first or second in aldia's?

Wrong thread, but it's the second one, but also the patch apparently nerfed the hell out of the curved sword parry if that's what you wanted it for.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

double nine posted:

cursed, poison, I honestly never notice the difference; until the effect is maxed out (never gotten cursed).

Don't get cursed. If you get cursed, there's ways of fixing it.

You won't like what you have to do to fix curse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

The three you meet? Did I miss something?

Well, if he's only in the Depths then yeah you can fight three Black Knights by that point. In the Undead Berg (BKS), Undead Parish (BKGS), and Darkroot Basin (BKH).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, those guys. I don't remember one from the Parish, but I'll assume I killed him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, those guys. I don't remember one from the Parish, but I'll assume I killed him.

The one in the tower before you fight the first armored boar.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Before you kill the boar, you're climbing a ladder to get to a doorway at the base of a tower. Going up the stairway leads you to the Black Knight with a greatsword (it's actually an Ultra Greatsword).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I remember him now.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh no I meant those manbugs in Blighttown. I thought they were called abominations.

I forgot to try it this time but if you use the Orange Charred Ring does it reduce the lava damage from Quelaag's attacks?
I tried it out and no, it doesn't reduce the damage. There might be other factors though.
e: if you're using a close range weapon, sticking to her maw while she swings her sword and always edging towards it (like the caestus L1) means that she'll never hit you with the sword.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Son of a ... what's this poo poo? gently caress you dark souls!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

If the last area was the sewer level, this is the area where all the refuse ends up in. You even get poop as an item down and here and it will be where you learn about the toxic status.

:getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it makes you feel better, those assholes with the darts don't respawn. They're still bullshit though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kicking those fat fucks off the rickety platforms is hilarious though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

double nine posted:

Look around where you found the giant rat for a shield that can help you handle poison/toxic better.
Trust me, for your own sanity.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

double nine posted:

If you haven't done so grab the treasure on top of where you first find the cleric at Firelink and go back to the Asylum, you'll get a ring that makes the bottom of that shithole so much more tolerable.

e: and do that ^^^

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 4, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

If you haven't done so grab the treasure on top of where you first find the cleric at Firelink and go back to the Asylum, you'll get a ring that makes the bottom of that shithole so much more tolerable.

Oh God I forgot about having to run back through to Quelaag over and over again WITHOUT that ring :negative:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I forgot about having to run back through to Quelaag over and over again WITHOUT that ring :negative:

Just wondering now, would you do a Let's Play of Dark Souls in the same manner you did your San Andreas LP?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

Just wondering now, would you do a Let's Play of Dark Souls in the same manner you did your San Andreas LP?

Unlikely, as much as I enjoyed both the LPs I did they required a pretty hefty time investment that I can't really spare anymore (plus everytime I look back at them I kind of cringe at all the many things I feel I could have done much better). Plus they predated my discovery of Steam's insane holiday sales events which has left me with a giant backlog of games to play :sweatdrop:

Also, my single playthrough of the game so far only gave me the most cursory understanding of the plot and character backstories, there is a lot of depth there that I haven't really gotten to grips with or understood.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What comes after the Depths? I don't get it, and I already beat the boss down there and came back to the Basin.

e: Oh Blighttown. I haven't been there yet. The guide I'm ready suggests going to the hydra.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Your guide is kinda weird, going back out at that point doesn't really make much sense. Does it tell you to go into the catacombs after Blighttown?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

First thing do do after the depths is obviously trying to get to Special Stage Bonus level: Ash Lake :getin:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

KoRMaK posted:

What comes after the Depths? I don't get it, and I already beat the boss down there and came back to the Basin.

e: Oh Blighttown. I haven't been there yet. The guide I'm ready suggests going to the hydra.

That's weird. So you have to go through the Depths front and back and backtrack all the way to the Parish and reach Darkroot? If you go straight to Blighttown it loops back into Firelink.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

That's weird. So you have to go through the Depths front and back and backtrack all the way to the Parish and reach Darkroot? If you go straight to Blighttown it loops back into Firelink.
Yeah I could sort of understand: upper Blighttown > Valley of Drakes > Basin > Andre to upgrade > Firelink > Lower Blighttown, as some sort of challenge appropriate route. But Depths > Basin is odd.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here's the one I'm using http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls/Walkthrough

I went into the valley of drakes by mistake. It tells you to go take on the hydra after the depths.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Heck, I'd just do the Hydra directly after the Moonlight Butterfly. Possibly with coop help to make it as painless as possible.

EDIT: Wow, that guide is really bad. New Londo Ruins last, where you find the ember that allows you to enchant up to +15 is really shooting yourself in the foot.

Holy gently caress this guide is bad the more I read it.

Firelink Shrine
Undead Burg
Undead Parish
Darkroot Garden
Darkroot Basin
Lower Undead Burg
Undead Asylum Part 2
The Depths
Blighttown
Valley of the Drakes
Sen's Fortress
Darkroot Garden Part 2

I would change into that order for the early game at least. Darkroot garden part 2 before Sen's would probably drive me insane.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 4, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Could there be any logic at all to why they've chosen that "route" in that walkthrough? Seems strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Downs Duck posted:

Could there be any logic at all to why they've chosen that "route" in that walkthrough? Seems strange.

It's the most painful route to possibly take, so :darksouls:

• Locked thread