Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

JediTalentAgent posted:

or introduce Chapel or Rand.

They did introduce Chapel in this movie. Carol is talking to Kirk and distinctly mentions Chapel as a nurse he slept with, but forgot, and who subsequently went as far out into space as she could just to get away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does anyone else think the Star Trek reboot has put way too much effort into establishing that Kirk is a total horndog? I watched the entire original series as a kid but "Kirk bones everything" was not something I picked up on until I started seeing pop culture references about it. On balance I'd say Kirk had about as many love interests as Spock did. But then I'm probably blocking out the terrible episodes I don't want to remember.

For the sake of characterization sure it's all right. But when the movie goes out of its way to rewrite canon so that Kirk was banging TOS characters? I mean come on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kirk in the original series was also a total nerd remembered for always being hidden under a stack of books at the Academy who tended to try to avoid violence and use intelligence, understanding and diplomacy to get out of situations. (Although he would bust out the double-handed kung fu if absolutely necessary). He was an all-around legendarily great captain who dealt with insane situations well, not a total cowboy.

The reboots rebooted the cultural perception of Kirk, not Kirk as he actually tended to be.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 21, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

MikeJF posted:

Kirk in the original series was also a total nerd remembered for always being hidden under a stack of books at the Academy who tended to try to avoid violence and use intelligence, understanding and diplomacy to get out of situations. (Although he would bust out the double-handed kung fu if absolutely necessary). He was an all-around legendarily great captain who dealt with insane situations well, not a total cowboy.

The reboots rebooted the cultural perception of Kirk, not Kirk as he actually tended to be.

The glaring flaws in Reboot-Kirk's personality and actions help to highlight this. I think the movies are deliberately posing the current cultural perception of Kirk as a silly baby with a lot of growing up to do. Hence the opening scene, where Kirk violates the Prime Directive to save a civilisation almost on impulse, just doing Kirk Stuff. When people step to him about it, he has nothing to say because he's just sort of doing what he does. Hopefully in ST3 he'll transition more into an authentic or reasoned person.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also, the character we see in the new movies is ten or so years younger than when we first see Kirk in the Original Series. Beyond that, there may be a few odd mentions of Kirk being bookish, but if you actually sit down and watch TOS, Kirk punches stuff constantly. The public perception of Captain Kirk may be exaggerated, but it's definitely all there in the source material.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Also, the character we see in the new movies is ten or so years younger than when we first see Kirk in the Original Series. Beyond that, there may be a few odd mentions of Kirk being bookish, but if you actually sit down and watch TOS, Kirk punches stuff constantly. The public perception of Captain Kirk may be exaggerated, but it's definitely all there in the source material.

That might just be because scenes like Kirk awkwardly fighting off that lizard dude are more memorable and make for better still images than the more talky scenes, which the show did have plenty of as well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I do feel like the new Kirk does undergo real growth and maturation in the movies, so maybe it's just absolutely intentional.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bob Quixote posted:

That might just be because scenes like Kirk awkwardly fighting off that lizard dude are more memorable and make for better still images than the more talky scenes, which the show did have plenty of as well.

Yeah there are plenty of episodes where Kirk uses trickery or out-smarts his way out of a situation. Plnety of classic episodes too like Devil in the Dark where the pragmatic, logical Spock suggestion is to kill something ASAP as a foil to Kirk deciding to use reason. But for the purposes of a stand alone movie I can understand them simplifying the portrayals a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They even kind of do this in the first JJTrek, where Kirk baits Spock into attacking him in order for everyone (including Spock) to realize that his judgement is compromised.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Snak posted:

They even kind of do this in the first JJTrek, where Kirk baits Spock into attacking him in order for everyone (including Spock) to realize that his judgement is compromised.

The first JJTrek also has that scene where Kirk offers to let Nero surrender and Spock is surprised and upset by that. Pretty similar to Spocks reaction about the Horta actually.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just re-watched the movie on Netflix. I remember the theatrical release having some eye-rolling "dedicated to America's post 9-11 soliders" card at the end. Am I crazy or did that actually exist? Didn't seem to see it on the home release.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just re-watched the movie on Netflix. I remember the theatrical release having some eye-rolling "dedicated to America's post 9-11 soliders" card at the end. Am I crazy or did that actually exist? Didn't seem to see it on the home release.

It did exist, but it was probably for theatrical release only. It's not strange to dedicate a performance, rather than a performance piece, to someone, so I guess this is kind of the same thing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
In the reboot, how many years have taken place between the two films?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I was born in 1972, and I have grown up with Star Trek TOS, the films and onto The Next Generation etc... I can honestly say, knowing much of the lore as a trekie that STITD was loving AWESOME.

I just don't understand all the hate, it was a great amalgamation of two different timelines that experienced similar happenings. loving brilliant stuff.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You are not crazy....but poo poo I didn't even realize they removed that.

I still really like this film. It's not perfect and I agree with a lot of the issues people take with it, but it's still just so drat fun. Most of the people I speak with that just HATE the film seem to fixate on Khan and pretty much come off like it was a sacred cow to them and they can't deal with it. It's very difficult to continue taking them seriously once they reveal that. They often don't even specifically say what their issues with Khan were, and seem to simply be mad he got re-done at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't think the issue with Khan is that he was re-done at all, but it was more a combination of things:

- Abrams' inexplicable love of his mystery box, and the subsequent obfuscation in all interviews and promo materials just made it kind of eye-rolling as soon as the word got out that yes, Cumberbatch was Khan.
- Khan, as a character, isn't essential to the story in the slightest (which makes the "MY NAME ... IS KHAN :smuggo:" reveal so hilariously bad).
- That reveal ties in with the other big problem with the film, in that it goes for rewards that haven't been earned. Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan works because the audience has seen these characters for years. By the time of Into Darkness, these versions have had one movie in which they were total antagonists to one another, and they spend about 75 percent of Into Darkness antagonizing each other -- the friendship isn't earned, and it doesn't work.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't hate Into Darkness and I've actually grown to like it quite a bit on subsequent viewings ... but it is a terribly frustrating movie in that for everything it does right, it does just as much wrong.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think the movie "earns" the Kirk death. A major theme of the two JJTreks is Spock learning how to be human from Kirk, so Spock mimicking Kirk's reaction in the inverse call-back is a perfect demonstration of his education--he literally does exactly what his "teacher" has done in that exact situation. Additionally, Pine and Quinto are fantastic in that scene. They provide such deep pathos that their version easily holds its own against the original.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

lizardman posted:

I am now imagining Alice Eve suddenly making a snarling face and hissing "My name is KHAN!" and the movie subsequently continuing with her as Khan and Benedict Cumberbatch as Carol Marcus and I am desperately trying to keep from laughing in the office.

You know what? The problem wasn't that they rehashed too much old Trek. They didn't rehash ENOUGH! We could have had them toss in the plot from the episode "Turnabout Intruder" too. We could have had it, and they threw the chance away!

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I think the whole notion of "earning" a death is ridiculous because there's been plenty of movies where an important character dies in the sequel and normal people usually care. The whole point of these reboots is that you don't need 30+ year old backstory for the audience they're making this for to care when bad things happen to main characters.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
well yeah, the movie should have been able to sell us on Kirk and Spock having some kind of emotional connection in its own right, but it didn't.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've started to wonder if throwing Khan into the mix in the film was maybe to lessen the "Starfleet leadership is secretly EVIL" theme that develops due to the conspiracy.

By distracting the audience with Khan, him opening and closing the film as the villain, no one thinks about the Starfleet conspiracy in the middle. Movie ends with Starfleet being reborn as a good and innocent organization and no one really has to deal with the consequences of a leadership tried to trick them into war. I can't really remember, but outside of Khan was anyone actually held accountable for their actions in the conspiracy?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've started to wonder if throwing Khan into the mix in the film was maybe to lessen the "Starfleet leadership is secretly EVIL" theme that develops due to the conspiracy.

By distracting the audience with Khan, him opening and closing the film as the villain, no one thinks about the Starfleet conspiracy in the middle. Movie ends with Starfleet being reborn as a good and innocent organization and no one really has to deal with the consequences of a leadership tried to trick them into war. I can't really remember, but outside of Khan was anyone actually held accountable for their actions in the conspiracy?

Khan fucken killed him. You know a conspiracy's bad when the villain is enacting justice.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Khan fucken killed him. You know a conspiracy's bad when the villain is enacting justice.

That's what I sort of mean. There's really no big disgrace or fall for him. He's dead, and he didn't go out in a blaze of glory declaring his rightousness or captured to have his actions brought to the light and have to answer for them. Hell, despite that, almost every horrible thing in the movie is done by Khan and not the conspiracy. The closest thing the conspiracy managed to almost pull off was a war and carpet bombing an unoccupied section of Kronos, nearly destroy the Enterprise. But all the killings, bombings, assassinations and destruction of a city was on Khan.

He's not even killed or ended by our heroic leads, I guess as to not sully their hands by killing their superior officer and raising all sorts of moral issues with that.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 1, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

I think it's less Justice and more "You forced me to do poo poo with a gun pointed at my family's head, made me think you killed them, and gently caress you."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Harime Nui posted:

well yeah, the movie should have been able to sell us on Kirk and Spock having some kind of emotional connection in its own right, but it didn't.
That was an issue I had with the first film. Kirk and Spock are at each other's throats right up until they go to Nero's ship, then suddenly they're best buddies (Spock now being on first name terms), with nothing to justify it other than nearly half a century's expectation that "We know Kirk and Spock are going to be friends".

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

See the only people I know that had trouble digesting that Kirk and Spock become buddies were people who had the expectation from watching old Star Trek. The non-Trekkies or people who don't even know the characters names going into it had no issue.

Even Where No Man Has Gone Before started Kirk and Spock off to a rivalrous relationship, with Kirk kind of thinking Spock's a weirdo until the two learn that each other is right about things sometimes and putting ego past them to work together. The first season of the show is ripe with Spock and Kirk bickering (albeit a bit different considering the characters are older and the show was written in the 60s) and still not getting that they can both be wrong sometimes despite it happening that way in the last episode.

quote:

That was an issue I had with the first film. Kirk and Spock are at each other's throats right up until they go to Nero's ship, then suddenly they're best buddies (Spock now being on first name terms), with nothing to justify it other than nearly half a century's expectation that "We know Kirk and Spock are going to be friends".
Spock has a very human dislike of Kirk that he hides behind regulations and "well he's not logical" and it takes Kirk egging him on to show Spock he's being kind of a dick. This defogs his judgment of Kirk as a smartass goof and once he calms down Spock sees that Kirk and him are, in fact, very alike (both stubborn and can be frustratingly right) and by working together can actually be a formidable duo. Of course they still butt heads at times (the way people do, and Spock is a lot more passive aggressive than the average human because he has his very electric passionate side he still tries to hide behind a half-assed adoption of Kolinahr) and Spock still pretends he's a Vulcan who has it together. His entire soliloquy about feeling Pike's emotions of death justifies his reaction to Kirk's death because even in this timeline Spock knows what dying feels like, and knows that whatever Pike felt would be ten times worse having radiation slamming through your body as it happened.

Remember too that even though they have a falling out at the beginning of the movie, they've been working together for a year prior and would at least be on a work friends basis with each other. I know I've been accidentally screwed over by friends at work who think they're doing the right thing assuming the same for me in the past.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 1, 2014

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Something I think really informs the strangeness of the Kirk/Spock friendship in the rebooted films is that they're also working off expectations pushed on them by Old Spock. He essentially tells them that they're "destined to be best friends," and so they're trying to play those roles because the future has told them they have to. Sure, they're also gradually developing that affection on their own, but that strange specter of prophecy hangs over them as well. I think that's a big part of their many conflicts throughout those films - they're pushed into this close friendship without having strictly earned it yet, so there are naturally growing pains.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think its just a poorly written script that was created to strip the franchise down to its most profitable elements. Terrorist conspiracies, revenge stories and exploding cities are popular right now so those elements got thrown in. Khan was shoehorned in because of nostalgia and also because they thought he'd give the plot a bit more gravity than it'd otherwise have. Alice Eve was there for T and A. The rest of the script was basically just an engine to get from one action scene to the next. Kirk and Spock are enemies when the script needs an intense scene, they are friends when the script needs an emotional scene, Spock is a psychopathic punching machine when the script needs an action scene, etc.

There are movies out there where it makes sense to dig into the subtext of the character's actions in the way that some goons in this thread are doing. But this movie aint one of those movies. It was an incredibly dumb summer blockbuster film, and the one thing they didn't really bother to include when putting together this movie was a script that was in any way original or had even an even passingly good story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Helsing posted:

I think its just a poorly written script that was created to strip the franchise down to its most profitable elements. Terrorist conspiracies, revenge stories and exploding cities are popular right now so those elements got thrown in. Khan was shoehorned in because of nostalgia and also because they thought he'd give the plot a bit more gravity than it'd otherwise have. Alice Eve was there for T and A. The rest of the script was basically just an engine to get from one action scene to the next. Kirk and Spock are enemies when the script needs an intense scene, they are friends when the script needs an emotional scene, Spock is a psychopathic punching machine when the script needs an action scene, etc.

There are movies out there where it makes sense to dig into the subtext of the character's actions in the way that some goons in this thread are doing. But this movie aint one of those movies. It was an incredibly dumb summer blockbuster film, and the one thing they didn't really bother to include when putting together this movie was a script that was in any way original or had even an even passingly good story.

Actually, this is incredibly idiotic cynicism.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, this is incredibly idiotic cynicism.

Also T&A hasn't never been a profitable element to Star Trek, except maybe some Enterprise episodes (I'll never see them).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Corek posted:

Also T&A hasn't never been a profitable element to Star Trek, except maybe some Enterprise episodes (I'll never see them).

William Ware Theiss would have some strong words for you on that subject if he wasn't dead as poo poo.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Let's put these women in incredibly short skirts that they must constantly adjust because that would be a practical clothing choice for exploring the universe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

PeterWeller posted:

Let's put these women in incredibly short skirts that they must constantly adjust because that would be a practical clothing choice for exploring the universe.

My favorite story about that is how Nichelle Nichols claims that the female cast requested the skirts be so loving short, and you can apparently see her actively hiking them up higher in the background of shots she's in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The new Star Trek theme sounds like it belongs to a detective thriller set in the late 19th century.

I rewatched Into Darkness. Some things it reinforced were the excellent cast somewhat wasted in an overstuffed plot and just how much it doesn't work on its own. In the first 10 minutes the camera does a literal 10 second zoom in on Cumberbatch's face while ominous music swells. Without knowing who he is it's laughable.

The following scene with Kirk in bed with a pair of alien twins was worth a chuckle though.

Michael Fassbender would have been a great Khan. I think he doesn't get cast as villains as much as you'd expect because he's catapulted to lead roles already.

drat his IMDB article says he's playing lead roles in two upcoming movies in addition to reprising roles in upcoming sequels. With his first major big screen role in 2009. Doing pretty well for himself.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 4, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I guess it's bad to go to fanfictionville but it would have been a so much better movie if Khan had helped them kill Marcus and then just joined starfleet. Before you know it he'd be running the place!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Corek posted:

Hasn't stopped them from trying. Are green girls not a thing?

Hahaha what the gently caress is going on with Admiral Robocop's shoulder pads?

I wonder if the multiple instances of "everyone on this ship is going to die" from different characters' mouths was intentional.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 4, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harime Nui posted:

I guess it's bad to go to fanfictionville but it would have been a so much better movie if Khan had helped them kill Marcus and then just joined starfleet. Before you know it he'd be running the place!

That sort of subverts the whole point of the movie though. It's like if the AI Nazi from Captain America killed off the main Hydra leader...so he could join SHIELD afterwards. It's just setting up another conspiracy to develop within Starfleet.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

That sort of subverts the whole point of the movie though. It's like if the AI Nazi from Captain America killed off the main Hydra leader...so he could join SHIELD afterwards. It's just setting up another conspiracy to develop within Starfleet.

Also the AI Nazi was already a part of SHIELD, but whatever.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Harime Nui posted:

I thought the movie was going in a similar direction right up until the point where they're on Marcus's ship and Kirk tells Scotty to drop him once they get to the bridge. I didn't think Khan would join Starfleet, but maybe help Kirk defeat Marcus then collect his frozen crew and shove off to parts unknown. This route probably wouldn't jive with the fact that he killed Kirk's father figure, but it would've been an interesting inversion of the adversarial relationship between Kirk and Khan and could've been a good chance to show that the series was going to take old characters in new directions. Instead they literally phone a guy from the old movies who tells them that no, Khan is 100% evil and they have to fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spakstik posted:

I thought the movie was going in a similar direction right up until the point where they're on Marcus's ship and Kirk tells Scotty to drop him once they get to the bridge. I didn't think Khan would join Starfleet, but maybe help Kirk defeat Marcus then collect his frozen crew and shove off to parts unknown. This route probably wouldn't jive with the fact that he killed Kirk's father figure, but it would've been an interesting inversion of the adversarial relationship between Kirk and Khan and could've been a good chance to show that the series was going to take old characters in new directions. Instead they literally phone a guy from the old movies who tells them that no, Khan is 100% evil and they have to fight him.

It'd also be a nice callback to Khan's portrayal in Space Seed.

• Locked thread