Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/247577/persona-4-the-ultimate-in-mayonaka-arena_v3_ch13_by_no-group
Chapter 13 of the manga is now out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Excels posted:

So who are your mains and how good are you at playing them?

I want to say Aigis is my main but I really suck with her so I end up using a high-tier character like Chie just to have a chance of winning

Teddie, but I'm far from amazing at him. I do okay though, as long as I keep my nerves in check.

Subs are Yukiko, and to a lesser degree Naoto, but I think I'm visibly worse with them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I switched on and off between Yu and Chie back when the game was fresh before I settled on Chie. I would not say I'm good, but I know the character well enough to take advantage of her oki and drain kick combos and win relatively reliably. I'll probably stick with her in P4AU, but Sho has my eye as a sub for some of the silly poo poo he can do. His super can be combo'd into itself three times in a row and his awakening super just shits out damage.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I play Naoto, and depending on my mood, I decide on kicking them in the face repeatedly, or just being a long range spamming rear end in a top hat.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So apparently Famitsu has leaked with details about a new first edition of the game exclusive DLC character. It's Adachi apparently.

I haven't seen the scans yet myself which is why i'm not posting it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Excels posted:

I want to say Aigis is my main but I really suck with her so I end up using a high-tier character like Chie just to have a chance of winning

Teddie main, Yu sub, terrible with both of them. Teddie's still fun to play though because while everyone else keeps trying to do this high-stakes combo nonsense, a fight with Teddie is like being on the receiving end of a Bugs Bunny slapstick sketch until you die.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Excels posted:

Naoto, then they hosed up SMP so I dropped the game like a rock for BB again. P4A2 is looking better for me at least.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I'm a Shadow Labrys player with aspirations of being as good as Banana Ken, while fully knowing I'll never get there. Most of my wins against the better players in P4A were because very few opponents knew how to deal with any of her jazz until very late in the game's life. Feels really good knowing that The Slab is a complete character in AU.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Adachi was confirmed in the new issue of Famitsu:

His title is "Totally Egocentric Cabbage Detective".

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
gently caress adachi

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Adachi's cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

gently caress adachi
Gladly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man. Adachi's persona is literally a dark version of Yu's. So there's Yu, Shadow Yu, Adachi who has the same persona so how different can they make the moveset there.

They went from having a pretty small roster straight into Ryu, Evil Ryu, Very Evil Ryu territory

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one attack we have looks nothing like Yu's and he's exactly like Yu? Like are we seriously doubting how he's gonna be a unique character in a loving fighting game?

STOP ASKING THIS QUESTION.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That, and Shadow characters aren't separate characters. They're more like Grooves, so at worst, you have two versions of the character.

(Note that there's like no chance of Magatsu-Izanagi working the same as regular Izanagi, or Adachi for that matter.)

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man. Adachi's persona is literally a dark version of Yu's. So there's Yu, Shadow Yu, Adachi who has the same persona so how different can they make the moveset there.

They went from having a pretty small roster straight into Ryu, Evil Ryu, Very Evil Ryu territory

Just by looking at the screenshot you can see that Adachi is using a pistol instead of a sword like Yu so I'm guessing they're going to play pretty differently.

As someone who mostly played (a bad) Elizabeth does anyone know if they made her any better in P4U or should I pick a new main?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

The one attack we have looks nothing like Yu's and he's exactly like Yu? Like are we seriously doubting how he's gonna be a unique character in a loving fighting game?

STOP ASKING THIS QUESTION.

I'm sure he'll be unique, but it's a bummer that they have 2 people using the same Persona!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm sure he'll be unique, but it's a bummer that they have 2 people using the same Persona!

It's kind of a big plot point that they do! What would you have them do, give Narakumi a persona that isn't his signature one or bullshit up a reason that Adachi suddenly has a new persona? As long as it plays different (which it will, more than likely it'll be completely different) it's fine.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The only solution is to give Yu the persona Mara.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's kind of a big plot point that they do! What would you have them do, give Narakumi a persona that isn't his signature one or bullshit up a reason that Adachi suddenly has a new persona? As long as it plays different (which it will, more than likely it'll be completely different) it's fine.

Izanagi-no-okami for Yu. :colbert:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Izanagi-no-okami for Yu. :colbert:

Then instead of 'original flavor and evil knockoff' it's 'two versions of the same base persona.'

This does not actually solve the 'problem' if there ever was one.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hellioning posted:

Then instead of 'original flavor and evil knockoff' it's 'two versions of the same base persona.'

This does not actually solve the 'problem' if there ever was one.

I just think Izanagi-no-okami looks way more badass.

It's also kinda silly everyone reverted back to their starting persona but eh.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

It is but Izanagi-no-okami is kind of a super-form. Like it's not a walkin around town kind of persona. Also apparently Atlus decided that no one canonically upgraded personas for the P4 crew since they didn't happen in the story like the P3 cast did.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

It is but Izanagi-no-okami is kind of a super-form. Like it's not a walkin around town kind of persona. Also apparently Atlus decided that no one canonically upgraded personas for the P4 crew since they didn't happen in the story like the P3 cast did.

That's... Pretty drat odd. So Yu canonically didn't give enough fucks to resolve his friends' problems? He didn't bother hearing Yukiko out? He didn't beat up Yosuke? He just dropped Naoto's investigation mid-way or what?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

That's... Pretty drat odd. So Yu canonically didn't give enough fucks to resolve his friends' problems? He didn't bother hearing Yukiko out? He didn't beat up Yosuke? He just dropped Naoto's investigation mid-way or what?

It's more like those events probably happened but their personas didn't evolve. Which makes sense since the changes the S Link ends aren't exactly huge characters changes like the ones the P3 characters face to evolve theirs. The P4 casts' evolutions always felt kind of tacked on since they're still the same character in the storyline where-as all the P3 cast have relatively big character developments to go along with the changes. Also most of the P4 2nd Tier Personas are kind of lazy changes that feel more like alt costumes than evolutions of characters.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 4, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Also most of the P4 2nd Tier Personas are kind of lazy changes that feel more like alt costumes than evolutions of characters.
They do feel like alt costumes but that means it would be a bit easier to put them in as alt costumes in Arena without having to revamp their moveset.

I just really want funky flame afro Takehaya Susano-o.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Golden Goat posted:

I just really want funky flame afro Takehaya Susano-o.

Who doesn't?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Deltasquid posted:

Yosuke's is at the very least canon; they refer to it in their win quotes against each other.

One possible reason is that they haven't used their Personas for months. That, and the less traumatic experience of the Persona evolution, caused them to regress. The P3 cast have been Shadow operatives likely since The Answer, with the possible exception of Junpei.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also to make poo poo as confusing as possible, there's a Shadow version of regular Labrys which is not the same as Shadow Labrys.

Is... is there Shadow Shadow Labrys? :ohdear:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yosuke's is at the very least canon; they refer to it in their win quotes against each other.

One possible reason is that they haven't used their Personas for months. That, and the less traumatic experience of the Persona evolution, caused them to regress. The P3 cast have been Shadow operatives likely since The Answer, with the possible exception of Junpei.

According to story mode, most, if not all of the Social Links are canon. The only P4 party member links not alluded to are Naoto's and Rise's, and they might have just not come up.

It was probably just a design decision; the base Personas are more recognizable, and most are probably easier to animate. the P3 characters had theirs evolve by story and all present in the later stages of the game, so we're probably more used to their evolved Personas.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alabaster White posted:

Is... is there Shadow Shadow Labrys? :ohdear:

Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys, and Sho don't have Shadow versions.

Persona Sho is Sho's Shadow, but he's considered a separate character like Shadow Labrys.

I haven't seen a single Shadow Aigis or Labrys Shadow in tournaments, actually.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

Most of the starter personas look better than their evolved forms so it's ok.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Radish posted:

Most of the starter personas look better than their evolved forms so it's ok.

Take. That. Back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a longer period of time between the two final dungeons in Persona 4 than between the end of Persona 4 and P4A. Even counting P4G it's barely longer at all. Stop trying to rationalize it, it's entirely because the original personas are more recognizable and distinctive.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I may have mentioned this before, but the sound test in Arena has the characters calling out their evolved Personas. I'm guessing they were cancelled DLC.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Here's a scan.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Need a bigger scan to confirm, but it looks like there's no Shadow Adachi, which makes sense.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like we've got ourselves some nice scans coming out now:

Plot stuff

Look at that face:

Adachi... Navigator?:

Stop stealing Terumi's moveset, Adachi, it isn't very good:

Edit: You're supposed to shoot them with the gun, you goober:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 4, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That smile looks like a man who's ready to be in a fighting game. Also Adachi you are supposed to shoot people with guns not pistol whip them. You had this problem in P4 too. On the plot side of things it looks like we might actually finally get an explanation of what landed him in Inaba in the first place.

Adachi Navigator is what dreams are made of too. In what ways can he insult me for my poor performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's with Adachi's chunky evil looking boss?

• Locked thread