Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

QuantumCrayons posted:

As Vice-President of said society until September, you've heard a pretty accurate account of what goes on; it's all based off of original manuals, so it's as accurate as can be expected hundreds of years later. The Abertay society's free, sans a yearly membership and insurance, but there's a paid school up at Dudhope park called the IHA too, which is pretty good.

I actually sat in on an early-year session a friend of mine was attending so I saw everything right up to the Haka performance at the end :v: I was injured at the time but still wanted to see how the sessions went down, sadly crunch time and life got in the way this year. Soon though, soon!

E: Remember Caitlin? She was an intern at our studio and she promoted your soc pretty hard at work!

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

twoot posted:

The country's best example of "gently caress you muuuum!" in action; Dan Hodges, is even more amusing that I thought;

Dan Hodges gave Labour internal campaign thinking to Grant Shapps

You know, I actually feel sorry for Dan Hodges because he lost his eye in a bar fight with racists, and the party that he's been spending so long helping to win is taking racist turns almost constantly.

Doesn't excuse him leaking to the Tories, though.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Aliginge posted:

I actually sat in on an early-year session a friend of mine was attending so I saw everything right up to the Haka performance at the end :v: I was injured at the time but still wanted to see how the sessions went down, sadly crunch time and life got in the way this year. Soon though, soon!

E: Remember Caitlin? She was an intern at our studio and she promoted your soc pretty hard at work!

Was it this year, or the year before? There's a decent possibility I've chatted to you before and not known it! Yeah, I know Caitlin, this makes a lot more sense now if you worked with her.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

CancerCakes posted:

A bubble is exactly the situation where competing capital causes increased returns. Rents absolutely can keep pace with purchase prices, especially if landlords subdivide dwellings.

Returns on BTL aren't massive, but they are attractive compared to normal savings, which is why most BTL are small time landlords without a pension pot (commonly previously self employed).

Large investors and individuals invest in different things, lumping them together as "capital" doesn't work. Banks are not competing to buy these properties - they don't have to, if the bubble bursts they own them outright, as most BTL are mortgaged to the hilt. They get their cut what ever happens, they don't get as much money, but they have some one to manage and maintain the properties that the investor *thinks* he owns.

BTL is a symptom of the problem, which is a lack of housing. More housing, be it BTL or rent controlled or state owned will relieve the pressure on the market, and reduce rents and prices. But whether the bubble will pop or be stabilised (by carney playing with interest rates) before supply is fixed remains to be seen.

TLDR - Supply is lacking, but bubbles cause capitalism to do really wacky poo poo

the corollary of contending that it is a speculatory bubble is that the contention that the tenants willing to pony up the rent can't be found to justify the purchase price, and yet there appears to be no such developing gap between sellers and buyers of rental housing. Where is the increasing mass of built/renovated but unoccupied units? If it's a bubble, it's an unusually subtle one.

I am not sure how subdivision is supposed to allow rents to keep pace, outside of an increased demand for rental housing to begin with, but taking it as given, then it isn't a bubble!

baka kaba posted:

But it's not as simple as 'too little BTL', because an increase in BTL actually increases the demand for BTL, since it makes the resource (housing available to buy, specifically) more scarce. So in the buying market, there's more demand (would-be owner/occupiers + BTL investors) and less supply (BTL accounts for a growing proportion of the UK housing market, 18% now apparently). So rising prices, and more potential owner-occupiers outright excluded financially, pushed back into the rental market.

And in the rental market, you have growing demand (higher population, and rising prices forcing more people to rent). You have growing supply too, since more housing is being turned into rental, but - like you say - the lack of new housing puts pressure in the other direction. Rents are rising, this isn't theoretical. Maybe at some point an equilibrium will be found, and additional BTL would start to depress prices, but right now it's a landlord's market. Like I said, eliminating private rental wouldn't solve the entire issue - there needs to be more housing. But it would cut out profiteering middlemen and release a captured resource (and access to housing is a human right) back into the supply.

bolded: no. Put aside the arguable point that BTL increases construction or renovation, and it's still no. You're confused because you're mixing BTL as a buyer (in the real estate market, competing with mortgaged owner-occupiers) vs as a seller (in the tenancy market, competing with non-leveraged landlords). Your mental model, if I am reading your allusion to middlemen correctly, is that a BTL landlord shoves himself in front of a mortgaged owner-occupier who would otherwise own the unit, hikes up the price of the mortgage payment and receives it as rent, and takes the difference as profit. This is bizarre. It's not impossible, as I indicated with an argument to BTL as a flight to safety (which is common, since it does capture real estate more generally in parts of the world absorbing Chinese outflows), but it would imply extremely low or even negative return on investment as penalty for the safety, which contradicts the undisputed observation that BTL appears to be a remunerative exercise enjoying increasing rents, at least at the present. The extent to which BTL increases the price of housing available to buy (by removing these units from that market) should be exactly the extent to which BTL decreases the price of housing available to rent (by adding those units to this market), which is nada. BTL earns its return from exploiting the unwillingness of mortgage providers to additionally play smalltime landlord in fragmented properties.

the blunt reality is that would-be mortgaged owner-occupiers that can't outbid BTL now would not be able to afford to buy housing in an alternative BTL-less real estate market, either. There is already a ready substitute to selling a property to a BTL, which is to simply write long-term leases to professional letting agencies - which likewise converts rent into a lump sum, albeit with a messier contractual relationship. The UK rental market is fluid enough that owner-occupation properties are easily converted to rental properties in a multitude of ways, and nobody's dumb enough to believe that rent control en masse is a solution for the UK - the country is too small to pretend that supply problems don't exist - so substitution between owner-occupation and rental will remain easy.

Of course it's a landlord's market; this is true for the same reason BTLs earn high returns. Now there is much to be discussed on why so many Britons cannot obtain a mortgage to own a residential property when so many other Britons are so flush that they have second homes to own and let out, but this discussion is not helped by pretending that the former could actually afford to be owner-occupiers if only those extractive middlemen would step out of the way.

ronya fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aliginge posted:

Also Abertay Uni around here have a Rennaissance Martial Arts soc which seems to be about getting fit and learning to hit dudes with all kinds of medieval weapons, I'm so gonna join up next year.

Stirling has the Medieval society, which is also based around learning to use medieval weapons, and I'm probably going to join that next year as well.

In similarly niche hobbies, we also have the Assassin's Guild where you're split into teams, you go around for a week with a NERF gun concealed in your pocket and you have to shoot as many people in the opposing teams as possible until you're shot yourself. It's basically the best thing ever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

The extent to which BTL increases the price of housing available to buy (by removing these units from that market) should be exactly the extent to which BTL decreases the price of housing available to rent (by adding those units to this market), which is nada.

How do you work this out? An influx of additional buyers means an increase in demand, without a corresponding increase in supply. That puts an upward pressure on prices, and forces a lot of potential buyers to turn to the rental market instead. They're not removed from the buying market, they'd still buy a house if prices weren't so high. So being forced to rent doesn't remove their influence on the demand side of property purchase.

So yeah, BTL adds supply to the rental market... and it adds demand too, because if a house was snapped up by a landlord rather than someone who wants to live in it, that's +1 to houses for rent and +1 to the households who need to rent. If a million people are ready to buy a millions houses, and then landlords appear and buy up 500,000 of them, that's 500,000 extra rental properties available, and 500,000 more people on the demand side for rental. Meanwhile house prices are still raised, because demand hasn't decreased, so rents are also raised because they're naturally linked to house prices.

Landlords literally are middlemen. They profit by owning scarce resources that other people need, that those other people would have if they didn't exist, and more landlords chasing the country's limited housing supply puts upward pressure on prices.

I don't know why you're claiming that if BTL landlords didn't exist they'd all be magically replaced one for one by letting agents, who apparently aren't participating in the market right now, for some reason? Because if they are, then that's in addition to all these individual landlords, which again means more demand forcing prices up, and any decrease in that activity would be beneficial. It's not that BTL is uniquely bad in the private rental market, just that it's increasing and it's being actively encouraged by the government.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Venomous posted:

Stirling has the Medieval society, which is also based around learning to use medieval weapons, and I'm probably going to join that next year as well.

In similarly niche hobbies, we also have the Assassin's Guild where you're split into teams, you go around for a week with a NERF gun concealed in your pocket and you have to shoot as many people in the opposing teams as possible until you're shot yourself. It's basically the best thing ever.

Need to theme it as Assassins vs. Templars and have no ranged weapons. But yeah that sounds like a great lark and I wish my uni had had something like that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ronya, it's not that I don't appreciate that you're making an effort with your posting, but you're really over-thinking this.
BtL makes landlords money and has very few downsides for the people participating in it. As long as interest rates stay low and house prices stay high, there's no external pressure on BtL landlords to stop expanding their business.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

baka kaba posted:

So yeah, BTL adds supply to the rental market... and it adds demand too, because if a house was snapped up by a landlord rather than someone who wants to live in it, that's +1 to houses for rent and +1 to the households who need to rent. If a million people are ready to buy a millions houses, and then landlords appear and buy up 500,000 of them, that's 500,000 extra rental properties available, and 500,000 more people on the demand side for rental. Meanwhile house prices are still raised, because demand hasn't decreased, so rents are also raised because they're naturally linked to house prices.

Add in the fact that competition is now increased because those 500,000 people in rental still want to become owner occupiers, and prices go up. Also add in the fact that the BTL landlord can offset their interest payments against tax but the private owner cannot, as well as the property they own appreciating through no involvment of themselves, as well as the renter helping the landlord to buy the next property ahead of them by paying off their mortgage which they can then use to remortgage and buy another property, and house prices go up and now the only people who can afford to buy them are the landlords.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

How do you work this out? An influx of additional buyers means an increase in demand, without a corresponding increase in supply. That puts an upward pressure on prices, and forces a lot of potential buyers to turn to the rental market instead. They're not removed from the buying market, they'd still buy a house if prices weren't so high. So being forced to rent doesn't remove their influence on the demand side of property purchase.

Landlords literally are middlemen. They profit by owning scarce resources that other people need, that those other people would have if they didn't exist, and more landlords chasing the country's limited housing supply puts upward pressure on prices.

I don't know why you're claiming that if BTL landlords didn't exist they'd all be magically replaced one for one by letting agents, who apparently aren't participating in the market right now, for some reason? Because if they are, then that's in addition to all these individual landlords, which again means more demand forcing prices up, and any decrease in that activity would be beneficial. It's not that BTL is uniquely bad in the private rental market, just that it's increasing and it's being actively encouraged by the government.

I believe I can summarise this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ronya posted:

the undisputed observation that BTL appears to be a remunerative exercise enjoying increasing rents, at least at the present.

For what it's worth, rents have barely been keeping pace with inflation nationally: based on the ONS indices, rents in England only rose by 4% between January 2011 and March 2014 whereas house prices rose by 11%. Even in London, rents only rose by 6.4% between Jan '11 and March '14. Inflation over the same period was just over 10%...

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

LemonDrizzle posted:

For what it's worth, rents have barely been keeping pace with inflation nationally: based on the ONS indices, rents in England only rose by 4% between January 2011 and March 2014 whereas house prices rose by 11%. Even in London, rents only rose by 6.4% between Jan '11 and March '14. Inflation over the same period was just over 10%...

Does this take into account the increasing amount of multiple occupancies? Or is this calculated only on the entire property?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hopefully not too late to toss in for the sweepstake, only just spotted it.

Camrath posted:

Yes, I know it's nerdy as gently caress. No, I don't care.

If you're not using it as an excuse to get blisteringly drunk in a muddy rainlogged field for a weekend, I don't know what to tell you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the thread title referencing? Is it some obvious expression I'm missing. I know it's late but I was thinking "night of the long nige's".

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

ronya posted:

I am not sure how subdivision is supposed to allow rents to keep pace, outside of an increased demand for rental housing to begin with, but taking it as given, then it isn't a bubble!

Subdivision allows landlords to increase their rental return by cramming more tenants in. This makes BTL margins more profitable, and causes the converted janitors closet mentioned earlier in the thread.

And there quite clearly is a bubble as stated by the UN, the EU, the Bank of England and the government.

Also your writing style is really ponderous and a draining to read. By using 20 words when 5 will do you do damage to any argument that you might have.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's probably a good thing that David Milliband has essentially retired from Politics as there might very well be some pointed questions coming his way:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2014/06/03/revealed_beyond_top_secret_british_intelligence_middleeast_internet_spy_base/

The Register posted:

Although GCHQ interception of overseas communications can be authorised by a general “external” tapping warrant, the wording of the law does not permit storage of every communication for examination, as GCHQ wished to do. In 2009, the spooks persuaded then Foreign Secretary David Miliband to sign a new warrant legalising what they wished to do. The terms of such warrants have never been published.

Also, we are apparently getting access to most of the cables transiting data through the Persian Gulf through our close relationship with Oman allowing us access to cables transiting through and near them. Sultan Qaboos was educated at Sandhurst, was installed in a coup which the British government at the very least tacitly supported etc.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stelas posted:

Hopefully not too late to toss in for the sweepstake, only just spotted it.

If you're not using it as an excuse to get blisteringly drunk in a muddy rainlogged field for a weekend, I don't know what to tell you.

woah wait wait

I need an excuse to get blind drunk in a muddy field now? It's political correctness gone mad, stu

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Jippa posted:

What is the thread title referencing? Is it some obvious expression I'm missing. I know it's late but I was thinking "night of the long nige's".

I'm using that for the election thread.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is interesting. I second Betjeman's question - is this per square foot or per unit?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Betjeman posted:

Does this take into account the increasing amount of multiple occupancies? Or is this calculated only on the entire property?

AFAICT, it's entire properties. The ONS' method for computing the rental index is described here, while that for the house price index is here

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Crossposting from the asking for a raise thread in BFC.

sharktamer posted:

So I'm in a bit of a funny situation at work, pay-wise. I applied for an internal position at the beginning of the year and was offered the role in March. The pay is actually 4k lower than what I'm on in my current role, but they've kept me on my current pay rather than lowering it (I don't think they're allowed to lower it). I applied for the new role since it seems to have much better prospects, a more obvious career path and potential for higher pay in the future.

3 months on and I still haven't moved into the new role. They've gotten as far as posting the new position on job sites and this is why I'm wondering about asking for a raise. The job advertised is obviously a carbon copy of my current position, I have all the essential skills, even all the non-essential skills and the same experience. The only difference is the salary is about 12k higher.

So I'm kinda confused to what I'd be entitled to in this situation. While I am expected to move into a new role that actually has a lower salary on paper, the fact is that I am still in my current role and expect to be for quite some time considering how far along the hiring process they are. I've been told exactly how much a person with my skillset and experience should be earning and it seems that I should have already been earning this much. So should I ask for a bump up to this level of pay? I am moving into a new role, but as it stands, I'm still in the current position, underpaid.

In case it matters, I'm in the UK.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Stelas posted:

Oh, very much that too.

It's an excuse to wear silly clothes, drink huge amounts of mead and real-ale, smoke massive loving spliffs in a canvas bell tent (best hotbox evah) and beat the crap out of people with rubber weapons.

Really, when put in those terms how could it not be great?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Came to this thread to see what people were saying about Edwina Currie trying to defend appointing Jimmy Savile to run Broadmoor because he helped break unions and you're all talking about what sport is the best sport.

It's obviously Pro Wrestling because Pro Wrestling is at least honest about being entirely fixed and corrupt and has fun with it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

AFAICT, it's entire properties. The ONS' method for computing the rental index is described here, while that for the house price index is here

Could be an effect of studios and other smaller units coming online. Hard to find a graph of unit size, though.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

State opening of Parliament. Lets see what The Beast of Bolsover (SKINNER! :allears:) has to say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

EDIT:

"Coalition's last stand!"

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 4, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gonzo McFee posted:

Came to this thread to see what people were saying about Edwina Currie trying to defend appointing Jimmy Savile to run Broadmoor because he helped break unions and you're all talking about what sport is the best sport.

I find it hard to say anything about Edwina Currie purely because it feels like they do this poo poo just so we talk about them. She's like a British Ann Coulter, of course she said something this stupid. That's how they earn their living these days.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's obviously Pro Wrestling because Pro Wrestling is at least honest about being entirely fixed and corrupt and has fun with it.

Them's fake fighting words. The greatest sport is Mascot Rugby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfO-9RQQOQ8

Fans fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 4, 2014

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

So they are advertising your OLD position (that you're currently still doing) for 12k more then you were on when you were doing it. (When being now still.) I think this is where you find your boss/bosses and sit them down and ask WTF. Point to the job ad if you have to. Either you've signed a contract for a new position and responsibilities in which case what they do with your old role is irrelevant, or they are advertising your current job for a lot more money.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Camrath posted:

Oh, very much that too.

It's an excuse to wear silly clothes, drink huge amounts of mead and real-ale, smoke massive loving spliffs in a canvas bell tent (best hotbox evah) and beat the crap out of people with rubber weapons.

Really, when put in those terms how could it not be great?

There's a LARP thread over here, although there isn't very much going on in it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557368

Still, I'm off to CP on the weekend to run around in way too much fur and speak in some terrible accent (and also drink incredible amounts of mead), so yay me.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

LordVorbis posted:

So they are advertising your OLD position (that you're currently still doing) for 12k more then you were on when you were doing it. (When being now still.) I think this is where you find your boss/bosses and sit them down and ask WTF. Point to the job ad if you have to. Either you've signed a contract for a new position and responsibilities in which case what they do with your old role is irrelevant, or they are advertising your current job for a lot more money.

I've accepted the offer for the new job, but yeah, I'm still doing the new one for less pay than is being advertised. I guess I'll speak with HR about this. Is there any other ammo I should bring with me?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

sharktamer posted:

I've accepted the offer for the new job, but yeah, I'm still doing the new one for less pay than is being advertised. I guess I'll speak with HR about this. Is there any other ammo I should bring with me?

I'd be a bit more patient until more people weigh in with advice more than anything else.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

How big is the outfit? Does it actually have a HR dept? Do you do your job well, do you get along with the boss?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It's a fairly large company, around 800-900 staff across all sites and it does have a HR dept. I'd say I do my job well, there's nothing in the job description I can't do. I get on well enough with my manager, enough that I can speak to him about things like this. Still, he can be very opinionated and difficult to sway, so I'd find it easier to speak to HR who are kinda forced to be impartial.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Id go straight to the big man then and explain. As long as he isnt a complete arsehole who would fire you on the spot for being uppity probably more likely to get some sort of result quickly. In my experience HR people are paper pushers who dont have much real power. Id wait to hear some more advice though before you just charge in there on mine and take a view on it. All id say is if you see the big man and he agrees its 1 phone call away from him/her to the head of HR for things to be sorted.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I already mentioned a bit coyly that I saw the salary on the posted position and was surprised at how high it was. His response was half-jokingly that I could always apply to it myself, or in reality, just withdraw my acceptance of the new position, but that's not going to happen. Since I'm pretty sure his ego has been severely bruised by me accepting this other position, I don't think he's going to be on board with helping me increase my pay then letting me go.

Yeah, I could talk to him about it, even though I don't think it's going to get me too far. I could be pleasantly surprised though. All I'm expecting is a condescending speech in return.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a LARP thread over here, although there isn't very much going on in it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557368

Still, I'm off to CP on the weekend to run around in way too much fur and speak in some terrible accent (and also drink incredible amounts of mead), so yay me.

Oooh, nice. I've never done CP- I've been an LT bod since I started in 06, but was down to go to the Vale this weekend prior to crippling myself. Seriously, give the next Vale event a go if it doesn't clash for you- bloody lovely site, and quite unlike any other system I've played in.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Yikes, Cameron's attempts to interfere in the appointment of the next president of the european commission seem to have riled ze germans: http://www.spiegel.de/international...=www&referrrer=

quote:

For years Britain has blackmailed and made a fool out of the EU. The United Kingdom must finally make a choice: It can play by the rules or it can leave the European Union.

Following last week's elections for the European Parliament, Europe finds itself at a historical turning point. It faces two questions. The first is that of how seriously the European Union is about its promise to become more democratic. The second is whether Britain can remain a member of the EU.

The extent to which those two questions are inextricably linked became clear last week when Prime Minister David Cameron refused to recognize the results of the European election and nominate winner Jean-Claude Juncker as president of the European Commission, the EU's executive. Most countries and leaders in the European Council, the powerful body representing EU leaders, had previously agreed to this procedure. It was a significant promise to the people of Europe -- they were to be provided with a greater say and they were supposed to be given a sign that their vote counts, that it has concrete effects. But Cameron threw a spanner in the works.
The crisis in European democracy is also the consequence of an unsettled relationship. Both the EU and Britain have perceived their relations as a burden in recent years. People in Brussels suffer under a London that is constantly thwarting European unity, that has slammed the brakes on progress and has doggedly prevented a deepening of relations.

In Britain, people suffer under the EU itself. It is a chronic suffering, one without any prospects of relief. During the May 25 European election, the anti-EU UKIP party garnered 27.5 percent of the vote, making it the strongest British party in the new European Parliament. And this, despite the fact that Britain's other political parties -- with the exception of the Liberal Democrats -- are about as EU-friendly as Germany's euroskeptic AFD.

Regardless, Europe has taken British sensitivities and particularities into account for long enough. The EU has allowed itself to be blackmailed and made to look like a fool time and again. It was patient to the point of self-denial. For decades England was forgiven for every veto it cast; every special wish was granted. When Margaret Thatcher shouted in 1984, "I want my money back," the EU granted her the "British rebate," which the country still profits from today. None of this did anything to change the Brits' view of things, and the country is more distant from the EU today than it has ever been.

The EU cannot allow itself to be blackmailed by the British for another three years and refuse to give the people of Europe what was assured to them before the election -- that they could use their vote to determine the next president of the European Commission. If the EU doesn't fulfill that promise, it will lose all credibility and acceptance.

Stupid krauts, getting all uppity. It's like they want us to go back over there and teach them another lesson. Some people never learn. :(

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Why exactly is Cameron trying to interfere in the appointment?

e: He wants a euroskeptic in, should have guessed.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 4, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
They've got a bloody point though. Whatever your thoughts are in the EU the UK has done a stellar job of bring the special loving snowflake in every negotiation with our red lines and British rebate.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Autonomous Monster posted:

Why exactly is Cameron trying to interfere in the appointment?

e: He wants a euroskeptic in, should have guessed.

He doesn't want a euroskeptic - nobody who could possibly be selected could be described as such. Cameron's objection is that Juncker is very much a federalist who is very keen on expanding the EU's powers and authority whereas he and a few other heads of government want someone who will either maintain something like the status quo or ideally, support the devolution of power to the member states. The other part is that it's more than a little absurd to claim that there's any sort of democratic mandate for Juncker's appointment - based on a crude estimate, less than 1% of the European electorate knowingly voted for him, and you could reasonably argue that having the national governments (whose mandates are orders of magnitude stronger) select the president is far more reasonable.

Lord Twisted posted:

They've got a bloody point though. Whatever your thoughts are in the EU the UK has done a stellar job of bring the special loving snowflake in every negotiation with our red lines and British rebate.
The rebate is pretty easy to defend given the existence of the CAP. If it's OK for France to say "gently caress you, pay me" to the rest of Europe, it's hardly unreasonable for us or anyone else to say "no, gently caress you." More generally, the Spiegel piece's carping about British "blackmail" is daft - in a negotiation, you try to advance your interests in a way that is acceptable to the other parties you're dealing with. Britain's not used its veto or thrown its weight around appreciably more than other large member states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So I spoke to HR, brought up the point the advertised salary was higher than what I'm making. Turns out what they're looking for and probably won't get is actually someone with a lot more experience than me, someone who would be given a higher salary to begin with. She mentioned that the role will probably need to be changed again to someone with a closer experience to my own, when that happens the salary would end up being more in line with what I'm earning.

That's a good enough answer for me, I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't being messed about with. I always feel so greedy talking about this type of thing, especially considering I was already allowed to keep my current salary rather than taking on the advertised lower rate of this new post.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I got a happy enough ending :).

• Locked thread