Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
last time I recommended Cuushe and it seemed to go over pretty well, so may I direct your attention to:

http://orchidtapes.bigcartel.com/product/the-bilinda-butchers-heaven

I know you guys love shoegaze, japanese stuff, colored vinyl and awesome music. This fits all the criteria. Some seriously sweet shoegazey jams with a hint of siamese dream era smashing pumpkins/pains of being pure at heart

Check out a song from the LP: https://soundcloud.com/orchidtapes/the-bilinda-butchers-edo-method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I have a dumb question, will having a lamp directly above my player cause harm to the record?
Image for reference

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

I have a dumb question, will having a lamp directly above my player cause harm to the record?
Image for reference

Yes it will melt the records slowly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you spin at 45rpm it shouldn't be still long enough to get any one part of the record too hot, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dogen posted:

If you spin at 45rpm it shouldn't be still long enough to get any one part of the record too hot, though.

Better tweak the speed to max just in case though. (Assuming the turntable has pitch adjustment.)

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

vinyl nerds are always going on about a warmer sound

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

lazerwolf posted:

Image for reference

This is why it's best not to use 500 watt light bulbs in your living room.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That's why black vinyl is such a bad idea, it absorbs the light which is converted into heat which converts your record into a warped mess.

White vinyl is the clear winner for intense lighting conditions like those seen above.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Snowy posted:

That's why black vinyl is such a bad idea, it absorbs the light which is converted into heat which converts your record into a warped mess.

White vinyl is the clear winner for intense lighting conditions like those seen above.

Wow, what an idiotic thing to say.
Do you know anything about how heat transfer works?
Glow in the dark is clearly superior to white vinyl because it absorbs harmful ambient light and turns it into clean burning glow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus christ I'm having flashbacks of the "the stylus tip exerts so much pressure on the groove because it is so sharp that some sort of magical micro-melting occurs and this is important because blug blarg blörblörblör" discussion on Vinylengine a while back.

e: For all I know the thread may still be going :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I figured clear vinyl was best because the light just passes harmlessly through it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus christ I'm having flashbacks of the "the stylus tip exerts so much pressure on the groove because it is so sharp that some sort of magical micro-melting occurs and this is important because blug blarg blörblörblör" discussion on Vinylengine a while back.

e: For all I know the thread may still be going :shrug:

Playing records will gradually wear them out over a long period of time or if you really play the gently caress out of them. But this is a pretty minor concern if you just handle them properly and correctly set the tracking force. Actually melting records with the stylus? That's utter nonsense.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

I figured clear vinyl was best because the light just passes harmlessly through it.

What color is your slipmat, smartguy? Black? You're hosed!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowy posted:

Slipmat? Surely you joke. We don't want any slippage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

Oh shiiiiiiiiiit.

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!

Snowy posted:

Frankly anyone who doesn't have a cork slipmat deserves to have their records melted.

ninja edit: Also, I haven't seen anyone post anything about the AIR pre-release

PS please don't tell me anything bad about the Vinyl Factory, I've already ordered and my ego is oh so fragile.

Geb fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Is giving out download codes still a thing, or acceptable?

If so, here is a digital copy of the deluxe edition of Glass Boys by hosed Up. The deluxe edition contains the album, and a second version of the album with half-time drums. It's very cool.

There are two downloads remaining for this one.

Go to https://www.matadorrecords.com/mp3promotion.php

UPC: 744861104988
Code: GLASNSTW27RB

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

DammitJanet posted:

So uh...anybody pre-order that TRON soundtrack reissue? It's on translucent blue viiiiiiiiiinylllllllll.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Moti...1&keywords=tron

Bah, I have the ORIGINAL issue, with a gold emboss on the back telling me "FOR PROMOTION ONLY. OWNERSHIP BY CBS. Sale is Unlawful" because Wendy Carlos is loving awesome :colbert:

Plus the original cover is better than just an image of the poster for the movie.

I also found a good copy of Switched on Bach at a thrift store. Original issue too, with "Bach" sitting down.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

Bah, I have the ORIGINAL issue, with a gold emboss on the back telling me "FOR PROMOTION ONLY. OWNERSHIP BY CBS. Sale is Unlawful" because Wendy Carlos is loving awesome :colbert:

Plus the original cover is better than just an image of the poster for the movie.

I also found a good copy of Switched on Bach at a thrift store. Original issue too, with "Bach" sitting down.

:hfive:

This album kicks all kinds of rear end. I often put it on when I'm falling asleep. One of my all time great thrift store finds.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Passion for Dilbert posted:

If so, here is a digital copy of the deluxe edition of Glass Boys by hosed Up. The deluxe edition contains the album, and a second version of the album with half-time drums. It's very cool.

Some non-poster took these. Thank you for the gesture though!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait Switched on Bach is a actual appreciated album? I found it in a closet at my house a few years ago and thought it was just another one of my dads dumb polka records and threw it away. Whoops. :v:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Abu Dave posted:

Wait Switched on Bach is a actual appreciated album? I found it in a closet at my house a few years ago and thought it was just another one of my dads dumb polka records and threw it away. Whoops. :v:

It won three Grammys, IIRC.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

it's one of the better/more fun records you can find reliably for almost nothing at seemingly any thrift shop.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Chim posted:

last time I recommended Cuushe and it seemed to go over pretty well, so may I direct your attention to:

http://orchidtapes.bigcartel.com/product/the-bilinda-butchers-heaven

I know you guys love shoegaze, japanese stuff, colored vinyl and awesome music. This fits all the criteria. Some seriously sweet shoegazey jams with a hint of siamese dream era smashing pumpkins/pains of being pure at heart

Check out a song from the LP: https://soundcloud.com/orchidtapes/the-bilinda-butchers-edo-method

Good sounding stuff. Thanks for the tip.

lazerwolf posted:

Image for reference

Ignore these other assholes. It won't affect your records/gear at all.

Geb posted:

ninja edit: Also, I haven't seen anyone post anything about the AIR pre-release

"Originally commissioned by the Palais de Beaux Arts in Lille for their Open Museum project, which takes place this summer, the four new tracks – ambient, intoxicating and melodic soundscapes – represent Dunckel and Godin’s first new material since 2012. It is also the very first soundtrack of a museum."

I love AIR, but this just seems so loving boring. Just re-issue Talkie Walkie and 10,000hz Legend already.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

It's actually a landmark album and the first of its kind (all electronic instruments).

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

My prefer Tomita personally

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I've heard Tomita's arrangement of Clair De Lune played out at two raves and both times I absolutely lost my poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCzO0GX_bA

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CPL593H posted:

the first of its kind (all electronic instruments).

This might need caveats, because it's loving obviously not the first record using all electronic instruments or w/e.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

This might need caveats, because it's loving obviously not the first record using all electronic instruments or w/e.

Yeah, wasn't Raymond Scott doing that in the 40's? And there must be some kind of all-theremin album.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, wasn't Raymond Scott doing that in the 40's? And there must be some kind of all-theremin album.

Scott's electronic stuff is from the '60s (though it does predate the Moog crazy that Carlos started innit?), but I'd be looking at Stockhausen in the mid '50s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

My prefer Tomita personally

I played Los Banditos's Tränen an der Donau (which is basically Giazotto's Adagio in G minor) to my brother-in-law and he dug up his LP collection and produced a copy of some Isao Tomita album with Adagio of the Sky, spouting how great it was in comparison. Then he played it and it was some weak-rear end poo poo. :shrug: / :can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwY7KxFf4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJv7tE_zrg

(In other words I don't like synths just for synthyness's sake.)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ras Het posted:

Scott's electronic stuff is from the '60s (though it does predate the Moog crazy that Carlos started innit?), but I'd be looking at Stockhausen in the mid '50s.

Outside of musique concrete i'd probably cite Subotnick and Raaymakers as the all-electronic non-avante/popular/approachable artists that pre-date Carlos.

1957:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVl2_MSwmSA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Well I was slightly misinformed on that point. But regardless Switched on Bach does still hold a notable place and history and is a universally acclaimed album. There's a reason so many copies of it are floating around out there.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Passion for Dilbert posted:

Surus gives out download codes but redeye doesn't :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone get the Led Zeppelin 1-3 remasters yet?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Holy poo poo. Just walked into the local record store today not expecting anything new, when I see a small stack of Record Store Day Ghostbusters EPs on the shelf, $17. Apparently they're still getting in random RSD shipments and these arrived a few days ago, along with an assortment of other RSD releases.

My day for singles wasn't done either. Also picked up a 2009 Record Store Day 45 of Leonard Cohen, while my wife grabbed Dropkick Murphys/The Business' "Mob Mentality" single.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah my store got the Breaking Bad RSD a couple weeks ago, but it was score only, so meh.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Whoever designed those loving fragile rear end yet sturdy wires that go into cartridges should be shot multiple times in the goddamn face.

Why yes I'm trying to install a Cart for the first time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would say it's pretty easy but I don't think that's going to help you.

What problem are you having? Wire too stiff? Clampy part won't go over post? If you need to you can loosen the clampy bit with some pliers and then tighten them again once you get them on the post.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Actually I just learned that apparently they're re-pressing the Ghostbusters 10" -- my copy has no reference to Record Store Day on it, nor is it numbered.

I wasn't interested in it for the exclusivity, but it does make me glad I didn't shell out a ton of money for it online a month or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

about to post another picture of a serious haul that's in the mail right now but for now here's stuff i got in the past week

original Captain Beyond s/t LP - $15 bucks in my local shops new arrivals bin. Not hard to find at all but pristine condition (and 3d cover!)
Rudimentary Peni "Death Church" repress - these represses rule. all pressed from original tape and identical artwork to the originals.
new dead congregation - best death metal LP of 2014, calling it now.
Gordon Ashworth "S.T.L.A." LP, this dude is loving prolific. Knelt Rote, Concern, Deep Jew, Oscillating Innards, and now his solo stuff. Killer drone/musique concrete. Probably one of the weaker releases among all his projects but that's not saying much, everything he does is fantastic.
tony molina "dissed and dismissed" CS
American Football LP reissue - got this for the booklet and the 2nd LP of demos. very pleased, enjoyed my airhead too (thanks polyvinyl)