Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched the show because of MacGyver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

I've seen every episode of both SG1 and Atlantis. I hadn't even heard of the movie until a couple of years after I started watching.

Then again I saw my first episode in 2007. :v:

Just out of curiosity, didn't you wonder where the flashback footage of Ra's ship came from?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I saw the movie as a kid and was like "Eh, that was alright." I had a toy alien glider that I pretended was Batman's glider.

I started watching the show in university, when it was in its later seasons, because a friend/housemate really liked it and had a bunch of the DVDs so I borrowed them. I stayed for Anderson and Shanks banter.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Eh, I have a soft spot for the original movie just because it brought us the series.
I haven't seen it in years though, I do remember it being overlong and kind of boring though.

I've always preferred the staff weapons from it though, they seemed meatier and far more deadly.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 31, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Idran posted:

Just out of curiosity, didn't you wonder where the flashback footage of Ra's ship came from?

I don't even remember there being any.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched the show because of MacGyver

Same, he was my hero when I was a kid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deakul posted:

Eh, I have a soft spot for the original movie just because it brought us the series.
I haven't seen it in years though, I do remember it being overlong and kind of boring though.

I've always preferred the staff weapons from it though, they seemed meatier and far more deadly.

The special effects in the movie are still better than anything from the 3 shows and the music is still awesome. I remember the Stargate theme was used in every other movie trailer for a decade.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mu Zeta posted:

The special effects in the movie are still better than anything from the 3 shows and the music is still awesome. I remember the Stargate theme was used in every other movie trailer for a decade.

Stargate theme was the original Inception THWOM

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I really like the movie. The story is simple but creative, and the visual design is really, really good. I'm really impressed by how well all the practical effects have held up too. The movie hasn't been aged by lovely cgi like many movies of the same era were. I love the show but a comparison of the production values make the show much less impressive in a lot of ways. The general filming of the movie was just overall really well done, and I wish the show had gotten a little more of that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The only reason I really enjoyed SG1 was the original cast working good together. After everyone kind of moving away in later seasons, it started to drag for a lot of people including myself. Atlantis was good, but mostly because a handful of the cast elevated the material way more than it should have.

At this point if they tried making more Stargate they would have to get good characters, new big bad guys, and a reason for humans not to be almighty gods of the universe they ended up becoming. SGU was the best direction to go, they just couldn't find their footing fast enough.

I don't know if I would even want them to do a show with the similar feel anymore. TV has come such a long way since Stargate aired, it would be hard fighting through all that garbage that they liked to put out between the good stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stargate is the only thing Emmerich has done that I would call good. And since at least 2000 he's been churning out rubbish that ranges from bad to awful.
I fully expect this film to be poo poo. And it'll probably have some horrendous political message in the subtext.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

JetsGuy posted:

Also, it helps to remember that Emmerich also has said he wanted ID4 to be a trilogy.

Anyone who makes anything at any time now seems to have "planned it to be a trilogy" no matter how much or little sense it makes. Always with the trilogies. No story can be told properly on film unless it's exactly three movies.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

I don't even remember there being any.

It was in the first Kinsey episode in the season 1 finale; the only time they ever used any of the movie footage. The scene of Ra's ship landing on the Abydos pyramid.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

I decided to watch the actual original movie to refresh my memory, and I discovered something.

Lucius was playing the long-con.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The one thing I'll really miss with the SG movie reboot is the O'Neill & Bra'tac grenade banter/one-upmanship contest will never have existed.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

DirtyRobot posted:

I decided to watch the actual original movie to refresh my memory, and I discovered something.

Heh. Thy symbol isn't anywhere on the cartouche. :smug:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

DirtyRobot posted:

This really should be canon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Meatwave posted:

You can't prove that it isn't.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tuluk posted:

The one thing I'll really miss with the SG movie reboot is the O'Neill & Bra'tac grenade banter/one-upmanship contest will never have existed.

Sure it will; nothing keeps you from going back and watching that episode after the movie comes out. A reboot doesn't replace or supplant older material, it's just a new direction for it. Even from a fictional perspective; you'd never hear someone say that West Side Story means that Romeo and Juliet never existed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Idran posted:

Sure it will; nothing keeps you from going back and watching that episode after the movie comes out. A reboot doesn't replace or supplant older material, it's just a new direction for it. Even from a fictional perspective; you'd never hear someone say that West Side Story means that Romeo and Juliet never existed.

Rolland Emmerich has discovered ancient alien devices that will allow him to wipe every existing copy if every SG episode out of existence.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Meatwave posted:

I hereby declare it is.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

DirtyRobot posted:

Wait, what are we talking about here? I assume one of the other actors in the shot played another character on SG1, but I don't recognize either of them...?

[edit] vvv OH, it's a pair of Atlantis episodes. That's why I had no idea. I should get around to watching that one of these days.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 3, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Wait, what are we talking about here? I assume one of the other actors in the shot played another character on SG1, but I don't recognize either of them...?

Richard Kind plays Lucius in the series, and a scientist in the movie.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Blasphemeral posted:

[edit] vvv OH, it's a pair of Atlantis episodes. That's why I had no idea. I should get around to watching that one of these days.

Atlantis is awesome if only because of banter between Shepherd, McKay and Ronon(Ronan?). You should definitely watch it, all 5 seasons are pretty good. It's been a while since I watched it but iirc the first few episodes are the weakest.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Holy poo poo, I just started watching "The Game" and just saw the part where they went through the Civ-like game they'd been playing, with McKay's face plastered over everything. I haven't even watched beyond that point because I just needed to take the time to say holy poo poo this is going to be good isn't it? :aaaaa:

EDIT: It was :allears:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 4, 2014

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Which episode or is it in one the movies where Tealc and Ronan (Khal Drogo) team up and kill some wraith because that was the best episode ever.
I remember giving myself a high five after watching it. It felt a bit like the Legolas and Gimli competition.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that's Midway, on season 4, where they get stuck on Midway station.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
The episode I'm referring to, you mean? Nah, it's in season three I believe (all these seasons are becoming a blur, as they're in a 'complete edition' mega-case, rather than separate cases), called "The Game". I don't know what episodes you're referring to, but if they're similar enough that you'd get them mixed up, I can't wait! :D

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

He's talking about the Teal'C / Ronon team up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

DirtyRobot posted:

He's talking about the Teal'C / Ronon team up.

Midway is literally a full season (like more than 20 episodes) after The Game.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
The only thing wrong with Midway is that they blow up Midway station. I really liked the gate bridge idea.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Syka posted:

The only thing wrong with Midway is that they blow up Midway station. I really liked the gate bridge idea.

They fix it again, don't they?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

They fix it again, don't they?

Nope. Not unless SGU said something about it for some reason or another.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

JetsGuy posted:

Nope. Not unless SGU said something about it for some reason or another.

Yeah, isn't that why in SG-1 season 8 or 9 there's some point made about how you can't just gate to Atlantis anymore; you have to take a ship, and Daniel Jackson misses the departure because of [reasons] and is all mopey because it's like, the third time he's missed out on going or some poo poo?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, isn't that why in SG-1 season 8 or 9 there's some point made about how you can't just gate to Atlantis anymore; you have to take a ship, and Daniel Jackson misses the departure because of [reasons] and is all mopey because it's like, the third time he's missed out on going or some poo poo?

I *think* that was before midway, but after they had the ZPM to make gate travel to/from SGC direct, but also after they needed said ZPM at Atlantis to keep it cloaked after The Siege.

:spergin:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember for sure if that timing's right (though it sounds right), but Midway blowing up definitely didn't have anything to do with Daniel not being able to get to Atlantis, because it blew up in the season after SG1 had ended.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are all correct

At the end of SG1 Season 8 they get the ZPM after doing time travel shenanigans, then they use ZPM to directly gate to Atlantis to help them with The Siege at the end of season one, but the ZPM still has juice, so they put it on the Daedelus for a REALLY fast trip to Atlantis(only a few days compared to the typical 2 weeks or whatever without a ZPM), and they use the Atlantis cloak. Then Atlantis gets Midway at season 3 or 4, then the Teal'c and Ronon Wraith killin' adventure happens, and they have to blow up Midway, and as of the end of Atlantis, there was no replacement for Midway.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Midway doesn't even matter at the point of the end of the series, since Atlantis is chilling in the San Francisco bay and nobody really wants anything to do with Pegasus anymore. Even though there's kick-rear end Asgard and probably a thousand more ZPMs there. I really wish the universe would continue. Sigh.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I honestly refuse to believe that Atlantis didn't have a ZPM-factory in one of those unexplored portions of the city.

Knowing the Ancients, it was probably a terribly impractical factory that required a human sacrifice for each ZPM produced and also most likely destroyed a random universe each time it was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I honestly refuse to believe that Atlantis didn't have a ZPM-factory in one of those unexplored portions of the city.

Knowing the Ancients, it was probably a terribly impractical factory that required a human sacrifice for each ZPM produced and also most likely destroyed a random universe each time it was used.

Sounds like Mckay would fit right in!
Also didn't they have Todd with them?