Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Bubbacub posted:

I really like this. Is the background desaturation just some fortuitous lens flare?

The air was a little dusty and was backlit by the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Out birding at the lake this afternoon I lined this up, I don't even know why. Got it home and something about it stuck in my head. Not sure if it's interesting in that sort of "fields of color, abstract but natural" kind of way or just regular banal.

Line by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 2, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Rome:

Rome Streetfront 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Rome Alleyway 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Colosseum, Rome 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

DSC_0470 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0459 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0488 by jpitha, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Apple & Wilderness by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

John Day Fire Dept. & Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Am I doing this rite?

Landscape 1 by Winston85, on Flickr

Lansdcape 2 by Winston85, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Vending Machines, Matsumoto Castle by rstop bstop, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Mightaswell posted:

Am I doing this rite?

Second one is nice, but the first one's background is too cluttered - it bisects the subject and it doesn't look intentional.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mightaswell posted:

Am I doing this rite?

I don't think you are.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Mightaswell posted:

Am I doing this rite?

#1 no, #2 eh

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This is basically happening in my neighborhood, but I didn't recognize it at first because I've never looked at the construction from this angle.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
That loving tree:

FP3000b, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
20140531-Estadio Nacional Road by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Took this while walking the dogs the other day. Still pretty new to all this. I am pretty unhappy about all that smog in the background.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

This is basically happening in my neighborhood, but I didn't recognize it at first because I've never looked at the construction from this angle.

That's on the Esplanade walkway over Storrow. It's a pretty neat view of the construction if you're into that.

DSC_0467 by jpitha, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shampoo posted:

That's on the Esplanade walkway over Storrow. It's a pretty neat view of the construction if you're into that.

DSC_0467 by jpitha, on Flickr

Is that the bridge the red line goes over? Are they still working on fixing that?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Is that the bridge the red line goes over? Are they still working on fixing that?

They're basically rebuilding it in place. The outbound traffic (to Boston) side is being replaced now, then when they're done there they'll move the red line tracks onto that side and fix the red line part of the bridge. Then, they'll move the red line back and move traffic to the fixed side, and fix the inbound side. It's estimated to take 6 years total so knowing the city, it'll take 10.

The bridge was in such bad shape though. People were banned from standing on it during the 4th of July fireworks, it was so weak. If I'm remembering right, the bridge was built in the 20s or so, and painted in the 50s and that was it for maintenance during it's whole life. It's a wonder it lasted this long.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I don't know if this counts but I'll give it a go with an "underwater landscape". I wanted to try and create an almost surreal feel in this one, sort of like the people are looking into a painting of another world. I don't know if people will agree with what I've tried to do here, I guess we'll see.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Jimlad posted:

I don't know if this counts but I'll give it a go with an "underwater landscape". I wanted to try and create an almost surreal feel in this one, sort of like the people are looking into a painting of another world. I don't know if people will agree with what I've tried to do here, I guess we'll see.

Good timing with the child pointing and all. Would have been more effective if the other people looked more interested though. Right now it's less of "people looking into a painting of another world" and more of "people casually passing through an aquarium exhibit." Dude on the right is checking his cell phone.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

LargeHadron posted:

Good timing with the child pointing and all. Would have been more effective if the other people looked more interested though. Right now it's less of "people looking into a painting of another world" and more of "people casually passing through an aquarium exhibit." Dude on the right is checking his cell phone.

Hum... I did wonder about that. In reality, in the unedited original, you can see that the direction of every single person's gaze is squarely at the tank, believe it or not. The guy on the right isn't actually checking his mobile, he has a (hidden) child in front of him who he's holding, and he's looking at a fish that's just in front of the woman next to him. The trouble is, people will interpret what they expect, given minimal information. I figured the silhouettes stood out more against the tank since that's really where I wanted the focus to be, which is why I darkened all the detail in the people. There are other shots I had where there were more people with different interesting poses, I might have a play and try to see what comes out of them.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
More photos from the west of Ireland

Lough Corrib, Galway by _JerD, on Flickr

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006
Took a drive the other day.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Re-shot some older stuff, except now on a tripod.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
untitled-94.jpg by Denim Pants, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Hjalti posted:

Took a drive the other day.

Nice. Do you live in the lord of the rings?

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006

LargeHadron posted:

Nice. Do you live in the lord of the rings?

We just call it Iceland.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Hjalti posted:

We just call it Iceland.

Gaman aš sjį žig, I've only met one goon here so far and he doesn't post much any more. You in Reykjavik?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Hjalti posted:

We just call it Iceland.

I hate when people post Iceland stuff... Cause I'm exceptionally jealous. It's tops on my Bucket list since I'll be able to cross Disney World off this Summer.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I hate when people post Iceland stuff... Cause I'm exceptionally jealous. It's tops on my Bucket list since I'll be able to cross Disney World off this Summer.
Don't worry, I went earlier in the year and didn't take even a single picture of the landscape worth posting. I am pretty exceptionally talented though, I reckon most people get at least a couple of keepers.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Another hike

El explorador by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Desde la cumbre de El Mauco by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Cadenas rocosas by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Shame it was cloudy... during summer you can see both the Andes and the ocean from the top of this hill. I guess I'll go back in 6 months and try again.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Old photos from a trip to SF back 3 years ago, I cleared the history from Lightroom and tried again.

SF18 by jpitha, on Flickr

SF15 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0678 by jpitha, on Flickr

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006

David Pratt posted:

Gaman aš sjį žig, I've only met one goon here so far and he doesn't post much any more. You in Reykjavik?

Yeah, I'm one of those latte drinking 101 hipsters

Here are some more, my lens got a bit wet and foggy, so these aren't as sharp as I'd like them to be.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Lunch walk

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

Untitled by TomOlson, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Ostia Antica Overpass by s d photo, on Flickr

Circus Massimo by s d photo, on Flickr

Rome at Dusk by s d photo, on Flickr

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Forum by Jenseales, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Have you photographed this before? It seems really familiar, minus the guy.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LargeHadron posted:

Have you photographed this before? It seems really familiar, minus the guy.
same place?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Is that a tiny doll or a child? It's totally messing with my sense of scale.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

David Pratt posted:

Is that a tiny doll or a child? It's totally messing with my sense of scale.

It's a child and those hedges are over 100 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

Saint Fu posted:

same place?

Sure is - it's the international rose garden in portland, or. I guess it's a popular place!