Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kurieg posted:

How can you create a hostile work environment for someone who isn't technically employed there?

When I was an intern they had me splice a cable into an active (low voltage, thankfully) wire just to see what would happen, because I needed the job for my degree and therefore couldn't quit.

I think the appropriate response to this is "yeah gently caress off" before stabbing them with the nearest tool. This counts if the nearest tool is a spoon.

But seriously, who the hell does that to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It was a P.A. system with the speakers wired in parallel, so it was perfectly fine right up until someone tried to page someone. Then they used the P.A. system to tell people to not use the P.A. system. Followed by someone using the P.A. system to ask why.

It was a small company with a two person IT department that doubled as building management. But I learned how to fish cable and punch down cat 5 B, so it wasn't a whole loss.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

As I understand it, because interns aren't employed or paid by the company they can't sure the company when harassed by an employee. But nothing is stopping the intern from taking the issue to civil court or getting a restraining order against the harasser.

Unless I've grossly misunderstood something, in which case what the gently caress US legal system?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So we're opening a new facility and admin wants us to setup a pa system with wireless mics. Outside, where we have no power connections anywhere to be found. Its in the middle of a field, we'd have to run an extension cord around 500 feet over a road to some neighboring business if they'd let us. That's on top of all the interference we'd get on our lovely cheap mics from the wind. They got pissed when I told them it's not possible and to just get a megaphone.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You can't just wheel this diesel generator out to the field every morning?

Our event was a disaster. The diesel generator wasn't working properly. Can you take a look at it first thing tomorrow please?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah man, they're expecting you to rig up something like you see in festivals man. If they can set up giant speakers to throw out sound in the middle of a field, why can't you? :colbert:

E: Ninja'd like a motherfucker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roargasm posted:

You can't just wheel this diesel generator out to the field every morning?

Our event was a disaster. The diesel generator wasn't working properly. Can you take a look at it first thing tomorrow please?

This is why you say no to the first one. Are you a loving mechanic now?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Would this be a good thread to ask about the software you all use for your tickets to come in?

Our company uses ServiceNow(moved from Remedy, which wasn't loved by anyone) for both internal and external issues, and external stuff is probably 99.9% of the volume. There are separate teams to handle each, and since ServiceNow is kind of a clunky ugly monster, I'd like to make the case for moving Internal Help Desk over to a different and wholly separate system.

Right now I am kind of leaning toward Zendesk or Mojo, but I'd appreciate any advise or anecdotes.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sirotan posted:

I tried to set up Lync Server 2013 the other day to upgrade us from Office Communicator 2007 R2 and got stuck on step one of the AD upgrade wizard because our domain functional level was still at Sever 2000. :( :( :(

Since then we've got it up to 2003 but all other attempts to upgrade to 2008 have failed and it looks like we may just have to recreate it all from scratch! Weeeeee!

Yup, that's where I am too. I'm really looking forward to this "Discuss AD rebuild" meeting that's scheduled in mid July so I can see the look on everyone's face when I tell them what this will involve and how long it will take. I don't think anyone really understands the scope of it.

AlternateAccount posted:

Right now I am kind of leaning toward Zendesk or Mojo, but I'd appreciate any advise or anecdotes.

We use Kayako Fusion and for the most part, it's fine. I had to hack together a plug-in for it so it could parse email responses and place them in to bugs and it used to do LDAP authentication but now it's missing in the version we have for some reason. There's a couple things it does that I think is really clunky like how it handles Staff responses and how it wants people to put tags on loving everything but its audit logging is fantastic. Zendesk and Mojo both look like superior products, however.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that Kayako also doesn't seem to have any spam protection and comments is enabled by default on almost everything. This gets to be a little messy if yours is accessible from outside the intranet like ours is. The spam bots have also taken to adding a bunch of garbage tags on everything which I can't seem to find how to disable.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 4, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Would this be a good thread to ask about the software you all use for your tickets to come in?

Our company uses ServiceNow(moved from Remedy, which wasn't loved by anyone) for both internal and external issues, and external stuff is probably 99.9% of the volume. There are separate teams to handle each, and since ServiceNow is kind of a clunky ugly monster, I'd like to make the case for moving Internal Help Desk over to a different and wholly separate system.

We use Heat which is terrible and everyone hates it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlternateAccount posted:

Service Now is awful.

SpiceWorks is one i hear pretty often for small/low-volume needs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kayako is pretty good.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Zendesk is pretty cool and Works which is convenient. I use JIRA (starter license) for internal logging and I'm in love with it. I wish I could scale it out to other departments but

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ConfusedUs posted:

SpiceWorks is one i hear pretty often for small/low-volume needs.

Word is that SpiceWorks starts to choke and gag past a few hundred users? I dunno, I probably shouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

JIRA seems more focused on development and project tracking, I need something that's very, very Fisher Price and pretty for end users to encourage them to use it.

Some kind of AD integration and E-mail->Ticket features are pretty much a must, I should've mentioned, so it sounds like Kayako is out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Zendesk is pretty cool and Works which is convenient. I use JIRA (starter license) for internal logging and I'm in love with it. I wish I could scale it out to other departments but

Zendesk is pretty awesome and I have suggested it a few times.

The things I like about it.
1: Your users don't need to have accounts created. They are created automatically as they email in.
2: They can email in tickets.
3: Assigning tickets and leaving notes is simple. In and out of tickets quickly without a lot of fluff.
4: Metrics and reports are simple.
5: Its cheap.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

1: Your users don't need to have accounts created. They are created automatically as they email in.

Will it continue to auto-associate that newly created account with all future tickets from that e-mail?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Will it continue to auto-associate that newly created account with all future tickets from that e-mail?

It always has in my experience.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Guess what. We also use service now. It's a functional piece of poo poo but goddamn does it take a lot of work to get functional.

SolarWinds Orion has a free tool - alert central, which can handle some parts of service now a lot easier, but only for IT. It's poo poo for regular users.

I hope one day we too migrate away from SN but we won't.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sickening posted:

Zendesk is pretty awesome and I have suggested it a few times.

3: Assigning tickets and leaving notes is simple. In and out of tickets quickly without a lot of fluff.
4: Metrics and reports are simple.
5: Its cheap.

We use it here to, and agreed. I've got very few bitches about Zendesk (collision detection was broken for-loving-ever, but, ah well).
Its clean, its easy enough, and it just seems to work.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Ours is an in-house ticket system coded by, I think, the CEO and his daughter. It used to be kind of clunky, but almost all of the bugs have been worked out. It's probably not the sleekest interface, but it works well, and anyone can suggest fixes and changes that usually show up within a few days.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A ticket came in... for electrical work. A piece of lab equipment has a function that has never worked to anyone's memory, and now they want to use it.

Despite this being totally not my job, there's no one else who even has a chance, and, well, I had an hour while my actual work was running, so I took a look at it. Usually it's something quick and easy to fix, like "researcher forgot to turn on the screen" or "screws had vibrated loose and needed to be tightened". But... something in this circuit is very hosed, because it's got the standard AC hot/neutral/ground, but I'm measuring 110V neutral to ground. :psyduck: I think this is outside my ability.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 4, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bobulus posted:

A ticket came in... for electrical work. A piece of lab equipment has a function that has never worked to anyone's memory, and now they want to use it.

Despite this being totally not my job, there's no one else who even has a chance, and, well, I had an hour while my actual work was running, so I took a look at it. Usually it's something quick and easy to fix, like "researcher forgot to turn on the screen" or "screws had vibrated loose and needed to be tightened". But... something in this circuit is very hosed, because it's got the standard AC hot/neutral/ground, but there's a 110V current running through the neutral. :psyduck: I think this is outside my ability.

I have three simple rules that I apply for electrical work.

1. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

2. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

3. Don't gently caress with electrical if you're untrained.

It's not worth dying over.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm declaring this one beyond my ability and letting someone else worry about it. My electrical knowledge only extends to dismantling various broken appliances in my teens.

I was mostly just posting it because I'm not clear how the equipment could be that badly short-circuited and not blow a fuse in the building.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Fuses only blow when the current exceeds parameters and is emulating dangerous temperatures in the wire. They're intended to prevent electrical fires (As is the intention of 90% of the electrical code), If somethings just plain wired wrong or it might not actually be noted until someone gets a shock or is actually electrocuted. The exceptions to these are GFI circuits which detect a ground fault. Call an electrician.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 4, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Some kind of AD integration and E-mail->Ticket features are pretty much a must, I should've mentioned, so it sounds like Kayako is out.

Kayako case is email driven and has ldap/ad support :confused:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AlternateAccount posted:

Another vote for Zendesk from me. We use it at my current company and it's great. Having people just e-mail tickets instead of having to log in every time is great.

It goes down every once in a blue moon but their support staff are super on the ball.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MisterAlex posted:

Ours is an in-house ticket system coded by, I think, the CEO and his daughter. It used to be kind of clunky, but almost all of the bugs have been worked out. It's probably not the sleekest interface, but it works well, and anyone can suggest fixes and changes that usually show up within a few days.

To me, having the ability to customize and quickly make changes is the most important thing to look for in a ticketing system. Assuming that the software is not screwed up completely, the biggest problems have come from the software configuration trying to dictate reality and force you into a set of processes that make no sense. Having someone familiar with how the users work who can make changes can help this.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
An email came in.

quote:

11:58am

We have a meeting at 4:30. Is there a laptop and projector you could provide for our use, please?

Well... no, actually. We don't supply hardware, departments have their own budgets for buying stuff. Sometimes I have a spare laptop around, but I don't right now, and four hours isn't enough time for me to try to scare one up for you. Maybe you could provide more than a few hours' notice next time. Or -- I know this is gonna sound crazy -- you might consider budgeting for your own loving equipment needs.

This is an annoyingly regular occurrence. This is the second person today to ask me if I had a spare laptop they could use, except they wanted one on literally zero hours' notice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Another vote for Zendesk from me. We use it at my current company and it's great. Having people just e-mail tickets instead of having to log in every time is great.

It goes down every once in a blue moon but their support staff are super on the ball.

Plus its in "the cloud".

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So we're opening a new facility and admin wants us to setup a pa system with wireless mics. Outside, where we have no power connections anywhere to be found. Its in the middle of a field, we'd have to run an extension cord around 500 feet over a road to some neighboring business if they'd let us. That's on top of all the interference we'd get on our lovely cheap mics from the wind. They got pissed when I told them it's not possible and to just get a megaphone.

I did almost exactly this a couple years ago - PA system covering a couple of spots in the bay for a powerboating event. Had some pretty good PA equipment, but no power, no means to carry a signal site-to-site without draping cable all over the bay.
So!

Six car batteries each end, 12v inverters, laptops with GPS dongles, and a Mumble server to carry the signal. All wrapped in tarps to keep dry. It worked perfectly, but it was a pretty dumb setup forced into being by the dude accepting the job without having the right equipment or knowing much about computers.

His first idea when he came to me was Skype with a couple of phones, somehow. :suicide:

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Service Now is a powerful tool, but as a ticketing system it is loving atrocious.

My first ticketing software experience was with Track-It, which I thought was frustrating at the time. I would kill for some of those features now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sundayturks posted:

I did almost exactly this a couple years ago - PA system covering a couple of spots in the bay for a powerboating event. Had some pretty good PA equipment, but no power, no means to carry a signal site-to-site without draping cable all over the bay.

The standard way to do this is a wireless beltpack with line input and a receiver. or in-ear transmitter and receiver.

Or just throw duct tape at it like you did :v:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Kayako case is email driven and has ldap/ad support :confused:

My install of Fusion doesn't support ldap/ad or emails coming in as tickets and I had to hack together email reply parsing support. I swear our old pre-Fusion install did both of these though.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Fuses only blow when the current exceeds parameters and is emulating dangerous temperatures in the wire. They're intended to prevent electrical fires (As is the intention of 90% of the electrical code), If somethings just plain wired wrong or it might not actually be noted until someone gets a shock or is actually electrocuted. The exceptions to these are GFI circuits which detect a ground fault. Call an electrician.

And lock-out tag-out. Don't want anything happening in the mean time then have someone come after you for knowing there was a problem and not telling anyone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

guppy posted:

An email came in.

Well... no, actually. We don't supply hardware, departments have their own budgets for buying stuff. Sometimes I have a spare laptop around, but I don't right now, and four hours isn't enough time for me to try to scare one up for you. Maybe you could provide more than a few hours' notice next time. Or -- I know this is gonna sound crazy -- you might consider budgeting for your own loving equipment needs.

This is an annoyingly regular occurrence. This is the second person today to ask me if I had a spare laptop they could use, except they wanted one on literally zero hours' notice.

I get called when the meeting is already in progress.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Ooh, ticket chat.

Many of our clients are in our (or their own) ServiceNow environment which went live this year. It works well enough when you have people actively fixing the issues and enhancing it on a daily basis.

Before that, we did everything with a self-hosted system called ConnectWise. Two of our largest clients (in both size and call volume) still use it and probably won't switch until next year.

And another client we have uses a Dell version of Remedy. :bang:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Trauma posted:

I get called when the meeting is already in progress.

Yeah. We get a lot of walking into meetings with C-levels standing around waiting for you to fix something. Or a training room waiting on you to start because nothing was tested that morning or the day before.

Bums me out man.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

luminalflux posted:

The standard way to do this is a wireless beltpack with line input and a receiver. or in-ear transmitter and receiver.

Or just throw duct tape at it like you did :v:

I no longer do work of any sort for that guy because it became clear that if there was a good way to do something, that wasn't the way it was going to happen.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

AlternateAccount posted:

Cherwell is pretty drat good, if you bother to get it properly configured.

BMC just pushed out FootPrints v12 and... well, wait for the first SP, I'd say.

Internally, we're still using Service Desk Express (Magic), but we're going Remedy this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

I've been using ManageEngine Service Desk for a year and a bit, and I find it excellent. Fully featured, easy to use for both technicians and users, and its actively developed with patches every 2 weeks.

• Locked thread