Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Question IRL posted:

Oh one minor thing that I don't think anyone will bring up. In a Quasar story years ago, Watchers all started dropping dead from this mystery disease. It later turned out that the virus wasn't biological, it was a theory based disease. (Essentially the Watchers started realizing that the act of Watching changes an event. So by Watching they were interfering. As a result Watchers entered into a paradox loop and started killing themselves.)

Quasar then made the argument that Watchers dying necessitated other beings intervening so that too was interfering. Since the Watchers were damned if they do and damned if they don't, they may as well Watch since there will always be SOME level of interference.

At which point one of the dead Watchers stands up and basically says "the human raises a good point." and then the other Watchers just come back to life. Because for Cosmic beings like them, dead is more of a State of Mind then a permanent thing.
I can't see the story ending like this, but it would be funny.

While we're talking about things that won't be mentioned, Uatu was present when Galactus became Galactus. He assisted the Fantastic Four because he felt guilty over not stopping Galactus when he had the chance. Of course this was before Galactus got his new origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I have been pretty behind tbe concept of someone murdering the watcher from the start but the 'secrets will be revealed' part I'm still skeptical about. So far its turning out great and thanks to Hickman Cap learning about his mindwipe has been a lot less "Civil War" than I expected.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like Original Sin also benefits from not just being another OH GOD, HERE COMES THE BIG NEW ENEMY WE'VE NEVER REALLY HINTED AT BEFORE BUT OH MAN ARE THEY A DOOZY event like Fear Itself.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone remembered a panel from an old Bendis book that kind of foreshadowed today's events.

http://imgur.com/M7EpMOp

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I know people were joking about the comparrisons to Identity Crisis but I don't know how I feel about this book after the last few pages. Other than :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Having to wait until 9am for digital is bullshit I want this poo poo now.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having to wait until 9am for digital is bullshit I want this poo poo now.

It went up earlier on the website than the app, that's how I read it.

Also, I'm now confident Fury's an LMD, and Mysterious Boss is Real Fury.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah this whole thing HAS to be a misdirect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Never mind its now working

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying to imagine the conversation leading up to this and it's amazing.

"Hey guys! Winter Soldier is incredibly popular with fans of the movies after Cap 2. How do we capitalise on this?"

"Let's put him in Original Sin and have him kill the watcher and hack Nick Fury's head off with a machete!"

"loving genius!"

Goddamn I love this lovely stupid event. :allears:

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
We don't know FOR SURE that Bucky pulled the trigger on the Watcher. Yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

I'm trying to imagine the conversation leading up to this and it's amazing.

"Hey guys! Winter Soldier is incredibly popular with fans of the movies after Cap 2. How do we capitalise on this?"

"Let's put him in Original Sin and have him kill the watcher and hack Nick Fury's head off with a machete!"

"loving genius!"

Goddamn I love this lovely stupid event. :allears:

There is no way that he did kill the watcher, and they hinted that this Fury is a LMD. He was near the eye and had no secrets revealed. Also him telling Gamara and Moon Knight exactly how it went down

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

I know people were joking about the comparrisons to Identity Crisis but I don't know how I feel about this book after the last few pages. Other than :stare:

...that could have some really gross implications, care to qualify?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

...that could have some really gross implications, care to qualify?

Nah it's not rape or anything. Just the overly graphic violence part. A hero "turned evil", murder mystery and overly graphic violence all rolled into one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well holy poo poo I did NOT see that coming. :stare:

I'm guessing this Nick was a LMD and the REAL Nick (and other LMDs) we're the killer and have the other eye

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no way that he did kill the watcher, and they hinted that this Fury is a LMD. He was near the eye and had no secrets revealed. Also him telling Gamora and Moon Knight exactly how it went down

He was piecing it together with them. He didn't do it, but now he knows who did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He was piecing it together with them. He didn't do it, but now he knows who did.

I know I quoted someone who said that he did do it. I assume the last page was done in order to get him in a secret bunker.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I know I quoted someone who said that he did do it. I assume the last page was done in order to get him in a secret bunker.

Oh yeah sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I can see why people are predicting Fury, but I can't help but shake the gut feeling that it's Bucky. He's got the skills to pull it off and I feel that he's about done as a hero in the publication sense. His solo run fizzled out and all he really has going for him is a team comic that isn't exactly setting the world on fire. He doesn't have much going on, so you might as well make him a bad guy.

Plus it would finally give us some payoff on that Next Avengers arc Bendis did years back.

Well done Gavok. You successfully predicted this way back on the 9th of May.

OR did you just access the information from the Watcher's Eyeball when you stole it?

Prediction: Gavok is the real killer.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

There's almost no way Bucky's the killer on purpose, UNLESS Old Fury's been programming him to do this for decades. Most of the monsters that've gotten gamma-irradiated bullets to the head died way before the Winter Soldier arc, while he was still working for the Soviets.

My guess:

Yeah, Bucky's definitely a major character in this -- there's a reason they brought up the story of him butchering that cow in #1. But I still think Old Fury is the actual behind-the-scenes villain; look at the way Mysterious Boss is drawn in #3, with a huge-rear end shadow over his eye. I think that the Fury we've been seeing all of this event is an LMD, hence why he didn't see anything when the Watcher's eye went off. I reread the issues so far, though, and they don't mention life model decoys even once, so it feels like that might be playing a bit unfair. At the same time, though, there's an argument to be made that Fury and LMDs are about as linked as, like, Iron Man and repulsors; you don't have to explain them.

Still, at least to me it makes the most sense that Old Fury's been behind all of this and is trying to get himself exposed for some reason. It seemed like Bucky figured out who was behind poo poo while he was on that dead planet and got pissed off and went to ice the Fury LMD, but the question is WHY -- what did he just figure out? Did he remember being forced to do it all of a sudden?

This event rules.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think the real question is WHAT DID HE SEE

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
I'm also leaning towards the Old Fury = Mysterious Boss theory. It also seemed to me like the other person who was talking to him in those panels was wearing the classic Punisher costume, which makes me wonder if Fury's not only using LMD's of himself but other heroes in some fashion?

MagnesiumB fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 4, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

MagnesiumB posted:

I'm also leaning towards the Old Fury = Mysterious Boss theory. It also seemed to me like the other person who was talking to him in those panels was wearing the classic Punisher costume, which makes me wonder if Fury's not only using LMD's of himself but other heroes in some fashion?

That didn't look like the classic Punisher costume to me, it looked like the classic SHIELD outfit.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah plus I can't really buy Bucky to be the type to just one day just fly int space and use a machine to kill Ego's cousin. While he not at fault, I wouldn't be surprised his brain washing has another layer that the mysterious party has been using all these years without him knowing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah plus I can't really buy Bucky to be the type to just one day just fly int space and use a machine to kill Ego's cousin. While he not at fault, I wouldn't be surprised his brain washing has another layer that the mysterious party has been using all these years without him knowing.

I do not think he is involved at all, since it would mean that Russia was involved and he was frozen during the time that he was practicing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Prediction: Gavok is the real killer.

That's insane! Why would I kill Uatu?! I love Uatu!

...now to host my own alternate reality comic series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

First you kill Uatu, then you kill Bendis, then you get your own alternate reality comic series!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

So you are going to make this page a reality?

http://4thletter.net/2007/03/the-top-100-what-if-countdown-the-finale/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So there's another limited series called Original SINS? I'll probably grab the Thor and Loki limited as well.

Do LMDs have blood? It seemed that Fully Headless Nick was bleeding and such when Bucky gave him a machete party.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

So there's another limited series called Original SINS? I'll probably grab the Thor and Loki limited as well.

Do LMDs have blood? It seemed that Fully Headless Nick was bleeding and such when Bucky gave him a machete party.

Depends on how advanced they are. In Secret Warriors they had basically clones that could pass for the real one.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Even the LMD's that are piloted from inside the chest could bleed.

Maybe that will be the opening pages of #4, someone surprising Bucky by climbing out of Fury's chest.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yes, I think it's an anthology book. Maybe 3 stories per issue? All I really know is Chip Zdarsky is writing/drawing one of them and I need it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While I'm in the camp that the Fury that died was an LMD and the real Fury is the one behind it all, is there anyone else that that mysterious benefactor could even be? Oldish guy with short, gray hair is a pretty narrow mystery, even if they do shadow his face.

I can't unsee the classic Punisher costume now with the other guy.

Also, if Fury couldn't see any secrets because he's an LMD, then the Deadpool editor hosed up.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Another reason for the LMD theory is that Fury specifically says "Why didn't I see anything?". I'm not an expert on LMD, but maybe they aren't affected? Like how a robot wouldn't be affected.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 4, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Also, if Fury couldn't see any secrets because he's an LMD, then the Deadpool editor hosed up.

I wouldn't say that. Preston is an LMD, but it's also an LMD that contains her soul.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Senor Candle posted:

Yes, I think it's an anthology book. Maybe 3 stories per issue? All I really know is Chip Zdarsky is writing/drawing one of them and I need it.

I'm going to assume the the characters on the cover will feature in the stories. Want to find out what JJJ and Kamala are doing there.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'm in the Mysterious Boss = Fury camp too. And he's probably the killer too as in the first issue, when Black Panther asks him if this will lead to the killer, he kind of deflects the question and says it will lead to answers.

He basically wants the unseen, the original sin to be exposed and was willing to kill the Watcher to do it. I'm not sure the original sin is Fury's though as he describes it as a trail he's been following for a very long time.

And yeah, it's pretty obvious that when they set out to investigate the dead planet, Bucky wasn't duplicitous. He remembers the murder on the spot.

I remember the excitement around these parts when Identity Crisis was being published, I hope this won't fizzle in the same way. I love a good mystery.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

Nah it's not rape or anything. Just the overly graphic violence part. A hero "turned evil", murder mystery and overly graphic violence all rolled into one.

Man, if you think that's overly graphic violence then you must not be reading Invincible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Someone remembered a panel from an old Bendis book that kind of foreshadowed today's events.

http://imgur.com/M7EpMOp

Huh, seeing as how that was set before Fear Itself, I figured it'd just be referencing Bucky's non-death there, but I guess this recent turn would explain everybody in the future hating him.

Also yeah, Fury's totally an LMD and Real Nick's the mastermind. Comedy option though: The now-dead Fury was the real one and he just didn't see anything when the eye-bomb went off because he's been playing puppetmaster in 616 so long he didn't really have anything left to uncover.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Also, Fury being an LMD explains why Bucky would take his head along with the Eye -- he probably wants to hit the memory banks.

My guess is that we're going to end up seeing the Watcher-killer's side of things more sympathetically as they go for an Edward Snowden greater-good thing. Marvel loves their metaphors for current events.

Edit: It's legitimately crazy to me that we're ten years in and at this point so used to Bucky being around in the MU all the time, just talking about him in a major event book because nobody's even waiting for him to die off again anymore. We all know he's gonna end up still being around and a hero because he was just in an insanely popular major movie. There's no way they're gonna make him a villain now; this is just him taking on a major proactive role in the series. Nobody's going to be pissed at him for offing an LMD.

d00gZ fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 5, 2014

• Locked thread