Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I don't know, that's the one I've been using (only for 'where do I go now?' reference though) and it's been pretty smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Darkroot after the Depths is a pretty good idea. The main reason is that the Large Ember is in the Depths. Going back to Andre before Blighttown and getting a weapon up past 5 is a really good idea and at that point you might as well spend some time exploring before trekking back to the underground.

The Hydra and the area behind it/the crest door are probably best saved until later, but you can kill the butterfly and Havel, stock up on free mosses for the poison below, and get some levels and sweet loot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

adamantium|wang posted:

If you haven't done so grab the treasure on top of where you first find the cleric at Firelink and go back to the Asylum, you'll get a ring that makes the bottom of that shithole so much more tolerable.

What ring is that again? I can't remember anything.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think Darkroot after the Depths is a pretty good idea. The main reason is that the Large Ember is in the Depths. Going back to Andre before Blighttown and getting a weapon up past 5 is a really good idea and at that point you might as well spend some time exploring before trekking back to the underground.

Where was the Large Ember??? I can't remember anything.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jerusalem posted:

Unlikely, as much as I enjoyed both the LPs I did they required a pretty hefty time investment that I can't really spare anymore (plus everytime I look back at them I kind of cringe at all the many things I feel I could have done much better). Plus they predated my discovery of Steam's insane holiday sales events which has left me with a giant backlog of games to play :sweatdrop:

Don't look at it as a backlog - look at it as a buffet. Feeling that you need to play those games because you paid for them is the sunk cost fallacy; you should pick and choose whenever you feel like playing something new.

I also recommend adding Dark Souls 2 to the buffet, as it has much, much better multiplayer implementation on PC than this game does. Sunbroing in release week of Dark Souls 2 was more or less an instantaneous affair - put down sign, get summoned.

Regy Rusty posted:

The Hydra and the area behind it/the crest door are probably best saved until later, but you can kill the butterfly and Havel, stock up on free mosses for the poison below, and get some levels and sweet loot.

Magic users are the exceptions to those though. For clerics, taking the moonlight butterfly first is a good idea to get a divine weapon early; for sorcerers taking the Hydra down early for the catalyst and hat breaks the early game over your knee.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Rusted Iron Ring, it allows you to move normally in water.

Large Ember's in a treasure chest right next to that first butcher you meet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

The ring is the Rusted Iron Ring that makes you move normally in water. It makes traversing Blighttown sooo much easier and you can easily get it by returning to the Asylum after activating the Parish elevator.

... If you know about it that is. I didn't even learn you could go back to the Asylum until I did some pre-Sen's exploring.

The ember is in the kitchen near one of the butchers I think.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, that ring? How do you even do the depths without it? I think I got the Large Ember since the chest is open, but I don't have it, so I assume I gave it to Andre.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, that ring? How do you even do the depths without it? I think I got the Large Ember since the chest is open, but I don't have it, so I assume I gave it to Andre.

Go to Andre and get a normal weapon up to +5 and check Modify Weapons. If it shows up and you can upgrade it to +6 then yeah you gave it to him.

I did Blighttown without the ring once. It's the only reason why I revisit Undead Asylum right after gargoyles.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blighttown is certainly doable without the ring. It's annoying to explore the swamp without it but the only part that is significantly harder without it is the area with the boulder fat men. Everything else is just sloooow.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There's like two places in the Depths where the ring makes a difference, and both of them are very short. First is the pool between the first and second butchers - it contains two dogs and a hollow, and all of them aggro from relatively short range so you can generally avoid fighting all three at once. Shortly after that is the deep water segment near where a slime will drop on you if you go to grab a treasure. The water becomes shallow enough to move normally after only a little bit of further progress there, so it's only right near that first slime trap.

The ring is more appreciably useful for lower Blighttown, the two hydras, Dusk's gold golem, and the titanite demons in Sen's.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vil posted:

There's like two places in the Depths where the ring makes a difference, and both of them are very short. First is the pool between the first and second butchers - it contains two dogs and a hollow, and all of them aggro from relatively short range so you can generally avoid fighting all three at once. Shortly after that is the deep water segment near where a slime will drop on you if you go to grab a treasure. The water becomes shallow enough to move normally after only a little bit of further progress there, so it's only right near that first slime trap.

The ring is more appreciably useful for lower Blighttown, the two hydras, Dusk's gold golem, and the titanite demons in Sen's.

Oh, yeah I haven't tried clearing Sen's floor out yet. Do those demons respawn or are they the non-respawning type?

As someone who almost dropped the game after the Depths, it's really not that bad of a segment. It's actually pretty funny because your first time through it you're thinking, "Man, that sewer level sucked!"

Then you open the doors to Blighttown.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh, yeah I haven't tried clearing Sen's floor out yet. Do those demons respawn or are they the non-respawning type?

The only titanite demon which respawns is the one in Lost Izalith, to allow for infinite farming of Demon Titanite. All other titanite demons are one-shot deals which are polite enough to stay dead once you finally eat through their wall of HP and defense.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Of course, it's also the only one which is in the middle of a path you might want to run through a few times.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

pun pundit posted:

Of course, it's also the only one which is in the middle of a path you might want to run through a few times.

Only if you didn't find the bonfire in the second pillar of Lost Izalith's lava area. Whether it's for BoC attempts or red titanite farming, that's closer than starting at either Daughter of Chaos or Demon Ruins bonfire and taking the path you mention.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Blighttown almost made me quit the game my first time through.
Complex structures with awkward camera decisions,
Guaranteed death if you are hit off or misstep,
Snipers that shoot toxic darts,
Lots of tedious climbing up and down,
Poisonous swamp water at the bottom that you have to walk through,
Bugs that silently sneak up on you then attack while you're fighting something else,
and a fork at the very bottom, one way leads to a "dead end" after a long trudge and one leads to a boss. The second bonfire is tucked away too, so if you don't find it (like me), you get to do pretty much the whole trek over again, potentially three or more times :buddy:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, I have an item question re:blighttown. I'd post a screenshot but I just died from archers and, as it turns out, lighting a bonfire does not in fact turn it into your spawn point :bang:. Near the bonfire on the bridge, I saw an item on the roof of a building, but I have no idea how to get up there. Under the item/roof, if you continue you get to a very rickety bridge with either a lost soul or a humanity, one of the two. How do I get to the item on the roof?

Attendum: the rickety bridge, is it purely an optical illusion or do the floorboards actually move? In other words, can my gall fall off even when standing still because the bridge moved from under her?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think Blighttown wouldn't be so terrible without the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I can deal with the poison swamp, the toxic snipers, the swarms of rear end in a top hat molemen, and the fatties but I hate those bugs so much.

Edit:

double nine posted:

Okay, I have an item question re:blighttown. I'd post a screenshot but I just died from archers and, as it turns out, lighting a bonfire does not in fact turn it into your spawn point :bang:. Near the bonfire on the bridge, I saw an item on the roof of a building, but I have no idea how to get up there. Under the item/roof, if you continue you get to a very rickety bridge with either a lost soul or a humanity, one of the two. How do I get to the item on the roof?

Attendum: the rickety bridge, is it purely an optical illusion or do the floorboards actually move? In other words, can my gall fall off even when standing still because the bridge moved from under her?

The item you see before reaching the bonfire? You're gonna have to do a leap of faith and make sure you land on the platform and not fall into the area with three molemen who'll jump you before you can even take an estus shot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Blighttown wouldn't be so terrible without the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I can deal with the poison swamp, the toxic snipers, the swarms of rear end in a top hat molemen, and the fatties but I hate those bugs so much.

Edit:

The item you see before reaching the bonfire? You're gonna have to do a leap of faith and make sure you land on the platform and not fall into the area with three molemen who'll jump you before you can even take an estus shot.

no, it's on much higher elevation than the bridge is. I think it's the highest point on that side of the level. Also I managed to aggro those molemen 1 at a time with ranged attacks - might be a helpful tip?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You have to jump at it from the very beginning of the level. Where you come in after fighting the big dudes with clubs, and Blighttown first opens up in front of you, there's a little ramp to the left that ends in nowhere. you can jump from there to the item.

Also, the bridges actually move, yes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I did the first stage of Anor Londo in a single attempt last night. I just bated the silver knight into attack me, and the pushed past him with my shield raised (knocking him off the roof in the process).

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

pun pundit posted:

You have to jump at it from the very beginning of the level. Where you come in after fighting the big dudes with clubs, and Blighttown first opens up in front of you, there's a little ramp to the left that ends in nowhere. you can jump from there to the item.

I thought double nine meant the Iaito as well, but I think that item that's on a high point early in the level is either the Wanderer's clothes or the Ninja set. Before going any further in the level just keep an eye out for ladders that'll connect to other parts of the map. They're always next to torches.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Blighttown wouldn't be so terrible without the infinitely respawning mosquitoes.
They don't respawn infinitely. Not anymore at least. That was changed in a patch before the PC version was released.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Yep. I found the leap of faith ledge. and missed. Ah well.

On a different note: does sliding down ladders make more noise than climbing down them?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Raygereio posted:

They don't respawn infinitely. Not anymore at least. That was changed in a patch before the PC version was released.

It still feels like it. I killed a whole hive of those things and I still had some following me all the way up to the elevator.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Almost everything in Blighttown can be walked to if you're super observant about the environment and side paths and ladders. There are, however, a few things which require jumps, rolls, or drops.

1. Iaito. This is the trickiest of them to get in terms of pure execution. Backtrack from the first bonfire until you get to the spot where (to turn around and progress forward a bit) you have a choice between taking a stable bridge or a shaky bridge (and I have no idea why anyone would take the shaky bridge). From there, look across the pit (towards the bonfire) and left - you'll see an item on a roof, which is probably the one you were posting about. You have to do a run and jump to get over there, and it's fairly easy to screw up and either a. fall to your death or b. fall into a group of mobs, survive the fall with low HP, then die to the mobs. Assuming you make the jump, it's fairly easy to drop down to the area near the bonfire.

2. Shadow set. From the first bonfire, backtrack slightly, just until you climb back up that ladder. The one with the dude hiding in the pot at the top of the ladder. Kill the dude in the pot, and his friend nearby who comes to join, and then go in the direction the friend came from (= not the direction back towards the entrance). You'll very quickly dead-end. However, if you look to your right (with the ladder/bonfire behind you), you'll see a very accessible platform nearby and a slight ways down. If you want to run and jump, you can, but it's easier to just roll there. You may even be able to run and drop off the edge and not even roll, but I've never had the guts to try.

Once you get over there, proceed a bit to find a ladder leading to a chest with the Shadow set. You might have noticed when climbing the ladder to the Shadow set that you passed a ledge with an item on it; you can drop onto this ledge from the level with the Shadow set. (It's just a soul though.) To get out, go back to the area you originally rolled on to, and you'll see a spot with a torch nearby where you can make a similar roll back to the main area (one level down from where you started, aka back on the same level as the bonfire).

3. Whip. When you're most of the way through upper Blighttown, you'll have to fight one of the big fat dudes again, along with a little dude. Just after them is a big circular area where you climb down some ladders, and eventually go through a fog door and do some more climbing down "outside". Stop at the doorway between the circular area and the outside (where the fog door is/was) and look down. You should see a glowy item. Line yourself up and just walk off the edge in its direction, and you should land right on it. From there, you can look around to find another safe spot to drop to - again, just walk off the edge and you'll land safely. You'll be near another door leading outside, a little bit further along the path you would have reached normally. (There are no other items along the part of the outside path that you skipped, so no need to backtrack.) Just keep following the path and going down, and watch out for one last blowdart sniper.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its tempting to skip doing the Capra demon. I just killed Havel and took his ring but feel I should still do it.

How much does weapon scaling affect damage? I'm using the drake sword at the minute and I'll probably keep using it until I can get a large club since I don't want to spend titanite upgrading anything else at the minute, even if its tempting to stop going strength and go back to dex since I got a balder side sword.

Edit: what sort of levels should I be around areas to ensure that I can do co-op easily?

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Drake Sword does not scale with stat leveling, which means it's near the end its usefulness. Most other weapons do. The Drake Sword isn't worth upgrading it either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I know about the drake sword scaling being useless, I'm not going to upgrade it either, just using it for now until I get a better weapon

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Go to the far back right corner, on top of the arch by the stairs, he (usually) won't hit you when he tries to lunge for you there, then you can just headstab him after he leaps.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a good intelligence to get to on my Pyromancer for being able to wield utility / situational sorcereries?

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Ok so apparently Dark Souls 2 DLC is a thing.

http://www.darksouls.jp/pc/dlc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_24S4j-jWU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jose posted:

Its tempting to skip doing the Capra demon. I just killed Havel and took his ring but feel I should still do it.

How much does weapon scaling affect damage? I'm using the drake sword at the minute and I'll probably keep using it until I can get a large club since I don't want to spend titanite upgrading anything else at the minute, even if its tempting to stop going strength and go back to dex since I got a balder side sword.

Edit: what sort of levels should I be around areas to ensure that I can do co-op easily?

How much it affects damage depends heavily on the weapon, as well as its upgrade level. You get a lot of relative boost (compared to the base power of the weapon) from, say, A or S scaling, whereas something like D or C improves more slowly with scaling.

Upgrade level is more important though, and unless you're going for bare-minimum stats to equip something and the something is fairly hard-hitting just from base damage (in which case lightning or chaos are viable options), you're generally best off taking the weapon up the standard upgrade path. For that, you will need the Large Ember and later the Very Large Ember (and no, you can't skip the Large Ember; Very Large lets you go +10 to +11, it is of no use for going +5 to +6), and the Large Ember is in Depths, which means killing Capra Demon.

As for levels, it varies a lot, and it's extra hard to say what with GFWL's netcode being terrible and co-op being hard to do simply from a technical perspective of connecting to the other person. My general rule of thumb is 10s to low/mid 20s for Gargoyles/Darkroot, 20s and 30s for Capra/Gaping/Quelaag, 30s and 40s (maybe low 50s) for Golem, 40s to 60s for O&S, and 50s to 100s for any of the lord soul areas (including Sif), Painted World, or the DLC because people tackle those in whatever order they drat well please.

sector_corrector posted:

What's a good intelligence to get to on my Pyromancer for being able to wield utility / situational sorcereries?

14-16, and I think you get enough good stuff for going to 16 that it's worthwhile. Use the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst from Dusk at that level of int.

14 gets you most of them: Aural Decoy, Cast Light, Chameleon, Hidden Body, Hidden Weapon, Magic Shield, Magic Weapon, Repair, and (on an offensive note) all the soul arrow variations except Great Heavy Soul Arrow. Most of these require the full 14, though some require as low as 10.

15 also gets you Fall Control, Hush, Great Magic Weapon, and Strong Magic Shield.

16 also gets you Dark Bead, Dark Orb, Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Remedy, and Resist Curse.

Everything after that is basically purely offensive sorcery, so I wouldn't go past 16 if you only plan to use sorcery for utility (and Dark Bead, because you can).

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Drake Sword does not scale with stat leveling, which means it's near the end its usefulness. Most other weapons do. The Drake Sword isn't worth upgrading it either.

Reminds me of my first playthrough when I hadn't read about or put in the effort to understand scaling, and stupidly played with and upgraded the Drake Sword, using it up to and including Four Kings. Good times :negative:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

sector_corrector posted:

14-16. 14 gives you Light. 16 Great magic weapon and detoxify.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Man getting killed repeatedly on the stray demon trying to get the rusted iron ring. That red aoe has huge range and I'm still using my crappy drake sword

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You don't need to fight the demon to get the ring. Explore the second floor and there's a door you can unlock if you got the key from Firelink.

The Demon is quite a bit harder than the rest of the Asylum so I just came back to him later.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jose posted:

Man getting killed repeatedly on the stray demon trying to get the rusted iron ring. That red aoe has huge range and I'm still using my crappy drake sword

You don't need to fight stray demon to get that ring. In the room where you fall through the floor, if you stick to the sides, you won't fall in and you can explore the Asylum all you want.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I'll ignore him for now, although that 80 magic resist shield from the person in the next room will probably help a lot

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

Jose posted:

I think I'll ignore him for now, although that 80 magic resist shield from the person in the next room will probably help a lot

If you can beat him while getting hit by his AoE then you're crazy tough. You should never get hit by his AoE while fighting him, or you'll lose. That said, he's pretty good at hitting you with his AoE, so you'll probably lose (I lost more times on him than on any other boss until I figured him out).

You need to stay behind him and learn what his AoE "tell" is. Stab him, dodge back when he does his AoE, and repeat. Eventually, he flies up and tries to squash you; this will probably instantly kill you if it hits. Don't try to position yourself so you land behind him. You'll be too close. When he lands, you'll be in front of him and you'll be vulnerable, so run around past his weapon arm and get behind him again.

He's entirely doable, but you have to make that initial rush to get around behind him or you're hosed. There is no tanking the stray demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jose posted:

Read my Post a couple pages back: get baked and keep to ithe rear of its right leg. No shield or armor and don't lock on, just keep running. That guide posts some tips on how to read the demons movements. When it goes into the air to butt slam keep rotating to its right but increase your radius, when it lands get right back to the tip of its tail or a foot more back, that's the safest blast from the blast. Hit it from there until it rocks back, when it starts rocking back you will have just enough time to get back to the end of the tail. I aimed for the scrot most of the time.

• Locked thread