Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

ChrisXP posted:

How many players on each side in these indoor games? As a Brit, I find this talk of zonal/man and stepping-up bizarre for indoor fooball

I play lose in an indoor league in my town. It's a 6v6 format here, though 5v5 is common as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Tongues posted:

He means off the wall in the literal sense, as in the things that hold ceilings up. In some leagues you'll have rules that let you kick the ball into walls around the playing area, some solid walls, some are made of netting that you can bang into (indoor cricket is popular in Australia and a lot of the venues overlap), others let the ball touch the wall but not the players etc.

Oh I didn't know there were indoor games without walls, ha. Yes we play with solid walls, midfield they go up to about your waist and then turn to netting when at the end of each side of the field the walls go above your head.

quote:

Defending in indoor is a little different to defending outdoor since you've got less players and positions can be a lot more fluid -but the aim is the same. You want the opposition moving the ball that makes their life harder, and you do this by cutting down their space, forcing errors etc. 90% of the defensive work in football is about positioning and creating the illusion of threats to the attacking player that make them have to move the ball in a different way - tackling is almost always a last ditch effort because most good players can avoid a tackle and will go around you. Intercepting poor passes is your bread and butter as a defender, that and standing right up the arse of any player who's about to get the ball, and a little back and away from players who already have the ball - but still close enough that it's difficult for your opponent to shoot or go around you. This is called "jockeying" where I'm from and it's all about forcing an error but the key is not diving in to tackle opponents.

Yeah I defiantly get intercepting poor passes and poor touches is where you will most likely get the ball back but should I be pressuring the guy dribbling down the field and not give him space and risk have him run past me, or give him space let him dribble but keep him in front of me and be able to either get the tackle or block the shot with my body?

Also our league is 7v7.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

fyallm posted:

Oh I didn't know there were indoor games without walls, ha. Yes we play with solid walls, midfield they go up to about your waist and then turn to netting when at the end of each side of the field the walls go above your head.

Yeah I defiantly get intercepting poor passes and poor touches is where you will most likely get the ball back but should I be pressuring the guy dribbling down the field and not give him space and risk have him run past me, or give him space let him dribble but keep him in front of me and be able to either get the tackle or block the shot with my body?

Also our league is 7v7.
A lot of this depends on your body positioning. Essentially, when you're defending most of the time you have a player running forwards at you, who is usually jogging backwards (or worse, standing flat footed). This means that the attacker has total control over which way they want to go, and if they can trick you into committing to one direction they can easily go past you - and the split second it takes you to turn around is enough for them to get on the break.

So what you need to do is nullify that speed advantage by turning your body ( but not your head) so that you are side on with the attacking player with your body angled so that you are directing the player where you want them - usually towards the sideline or corner flag. By turning your body you force the opponent to choose a direction without you committing first, and now your already facing the right way. Most players, even the very fast, will be slower when dribbling than you are while running and if they try to kick it long and run onto it you're already at a head start to them

Sorry for poo poo spelling, phone posting.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Thanks for clarifying.
I'd stress Tongues' point about it not being about tackling in these games. Basically when the other team is in your half you all go man-to-man, and try and prevent any opposition having the chance to run with it.
If it's your man, you weren't close enough to start with, and if its not, then your job is to hold him up until help arrives. If you keep your body between the ball and your goal then he can't shoot without hitting you, and any tricks/dribbles will force him wide, where you follow and repeat. If you are worried about being danced round easily, keep your weight on you back foot and stand side on, so you have a yard headstart if he just pushes it past and runs.

Only try and win the ball off a bad touch, but if he winds up a shot, stick your foot in front to block.

Does this help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oygm04NG8g&t=90

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tigren posted:

Pedicures are also heaven.

Ramagamma posted:

I used to have blisters on my feet quite frequently until I started moisturising.

Soulex posted:

...liners under their socks. The kind women wear with skirts and dresses

wtf is going on in this goddamn thread

Cotton socks are a main cause of blisters, so just don't ever wear them. Get some thin, stretchy ankle socks (usually a blend of spandex/nylon/polyester/rayon) and put your soccer socks on over them; the ankle socks will wick away sweat and be a blister barrier while your long socks will provide more cushion. Lace your boots as tight as you can stand without your feet getting numb and turning blue. If you start to get a blister, put some liquid skin on it and maybe one of those gel-ish blister cushion bandaid things (but they'll probably slip off at some point).

But most of all, play hard enough to get some motherfucking rock-hard callouses on your goddamn feet like a MAN

your bare feet should sound like goddamn tap shoes when you walk across a hardwood floor

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Lazlow posted:

Cotton socks are a main cause of blisters, so just don't ever wear them. Get some thin, stretchy ankle socks (usually a blend of spandex/nylon/polyester/rayon) and put your soccer socks on over them; the ankle socks will wick away sweat and be a blister barrier while your long socks will provide more cushion. Lace your boots as tight as you can stand without your feet getting numb and turning blue. If you start to get a blister, put some liquid skin on it and maybe one of those gel-ish blister cushion bandaid things (but they'll probably slip off at some point).

But most of all, play hard enough to get some motherfucking rock-hard callouses on your goddamn feet like a MAN

your bare feet should sound like goddamn tap shoes when you walk across a hardwood floor

Sorry, I'll nut up and grow some balls and be a man. Or whatever the issue is here. Also, I'm gay.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

seriously though moisturizing isn't a bad idea. posting about it probably is, though

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
if you are getting lots of blisters on your feet from the bottom of your boots then you might have too long studs / cleats for the conditions.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lazlow posted:

seriously though moisturizing isn't a bad idea. posting about it probably is, though

I moisturise my balls OP.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lazlow posted:

Christ man, do you wash yourself with pure lye under a freezing cold shower, too?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Lazlow posted:

THIS THIS THIS

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

JFairfax posted:

I moisturise my balls OP.

As do I, something's gotta protect that freshly-shorn scroteskin

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Tongues posted:

A lot of this depends on your body positioning. Essentially, when you're defending most of the time you have a player running forwards at you, who is usually jogging backwards (or worse, standing flat footed). This means that the attacker has total control over which way they want to go, and if they can trick you into committing to one direction they can easily go past you - and the split second it takes you to turn around is enough for them to get on the break.

Yeah I am usually running backwards and usually let them dribble pretty far onto our side and it seems not good, ha.

quote:

So what you need to do is nullify that speed advantage by turning your body ( but not your head) so that you are side on with the attacking player with your body angled so that you are directing the player where you want them - usually towards the sideline or corner flag. By turning your body you force the opponent to choose a direction without you committing first, and now your already facing the right way. Most players, even the very fast, will be slower when dribbling than you are while running and if they try to kick it long and run onto it you're already at a head start to them

But if I turn my body lets say to the right can't he tap the ball left and run past me and now I have to turn around? I'm trying to play this out in my head and I am failing.

quote:

I'd stress Tongues' point about it not being about tackling in these games. Basically when the other team is in your half you all go man-to-man, and try and prevent any opposition having the chance to run with it.
If it's your man, you weren't close enough to start with, and if its not, then your job is to hold him up until help arrives. If you keep your body between the ball and your goal then he can't shoot without hitting you, and any tricks/dribbles will force him wide, where you follow and repeat. If you are worried about being danced round easily, keep your weight on you back foot and stand side on, so you have a yard headstart if he just pushes it past and runs.

Yeah I try and stay in front of the dribbler as much as possible, last game I think I blocked around 10shots with a part of my body but also let them score 2 because it was whizzing directly toward my face and I didn't want to get a broken nose so I moved out of the way but I was blocking my goalies view so it went in twice.

[quote]Only try and win the ball off a bad touch, but if he winds up a shot, stick your foot in front to block.

Does this help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oygm04NG8g&t=90[/quiote]

If I only try and get the ball off a bad touch or pass I should be letting him dribble it down the field closer to the goal?

I get poo poo cell reception where I'm at now so I can't watch that youtube video but I will when I get home.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Lazlow posted:

I only play casual futsal now, but I still use my old footy socks and decent Astros (£15 Sondico) and don't get painful blisters as described in this thread (my feet are still covered in callouses) I think it's just their inferior American genetics.

Hashtag Nascar fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

poo poo this was meant to be an edit, drat phone posting lol.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hashtag Nascar posted:

poo poo this was meant to be an edit, drat phone posting lol.

Inferior genetics

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

fyallm posted:

If I only try and get the ball off a bad touch or pass I should be letting him dribble it down the field closer to the goal?

You should still close the distance down to a yard away - guess neither of us said that. At which point he will have to do something to prevent just running the ball into your legs - which is either turn to protect the ball, pass or try and beat you. Get close as soon as possible, without leaving yourself unbalanced - the video will show that I hope. Under pressure like that, you should force a bad touch giving the chance to step between the man and ball and take possession, or just hoof it away.

Don't be afraid to stick a forehead in the way rather than your face btw. Then moisturise afterwards though

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

fyallm posted:

But if I turn my body lets say to the right can't he tap the ball left and run past me and now I have to turn around? I'm trying to play this out in my head and I am failing.

Theoretically yes, but when you're jockeying you don't want to be directly in front of him. You're basically trying to usher him the way you want him to go, so if you turn right you move a little to the left to show him where to go.

And yeah I was talking about literally being allowed to kick the ball into the walls, as I've really only played futsal rather than indoor soccer for like 3-4 years now, which is 5-a-side but with no walls to play off.

The thing about marking fast guys too is that if they're much faster than you, they'll be able to make the most of any space you give them. That's why you want to be tight when they receive the ball, so you can muscle it off them without diving into the tackle, because if you give them any space they'll beat you for pace and move into it. This works much better on a smaller court too given that if they do beat you, there's less space for them to outrun you in.

And basically you never want to let people run at you, since they've got the advantage then in that they're already moving the direction that they want to go, but similarly you don't want to charge up the pitch at an attacker who's dribbling with it because they'll then have time to see you coming, go around your tackle and leave you for dead.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Ok I watched the video and that makes alot more sense, I was the idiot they showed what not to do, hahaha. Now I really can't wait for the next session to start to try some of these out!

EDIT: The forehead thing, yeah I don't think i could do that, I know how hard the balls are we play with.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I've started getting a lot more comfortable with receiving passes and making runs, even giving the ball an intentional heavy touch so I can use my speed to run past someone. But when I need to need to make a sharp change in direction I usually find myself, if I don't just outright get tackled, just putting the brakes on and turning around to protect the ball, then bailing out with a backpass. Sometimes this is probably the best thing to do, but I'd like to drill a few basic moves that I can use to beat someone that I should be able to beat had I had the skills from playing most of my life.

Obviously I'm not talking elaborate crossovers or Zidane type poo poo - none of the really good players in our league even go that far since it's an indoor walled league. I'd just like a few more tools on my belt that take advantage of my speed and create some more space for myself to get out of a jam. The rest of my team is so slow and unable to create space or forward movement that I keep finding myself getting forced into that role, as much as I'd rather just stay on defense and keep us from conceding 10 goals.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Learn the Ronaldo chop, roulettes/marseille turn, and just do loads of tick-tocks in practice so you can shift it from one foot to another.

I actually made a little training routine to improve basic skills for myself, its got loads of crossovers and stepovers and poo poo and they're all easy enough to just do around the office with a skill ball so you can do them all the time. It's gay as hell but I can post it if you like, I found I improved a fair bit just doing it every day.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 5, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I destroyed my umbros so I got a pair of these:

Received them today and they own, can't wait to try them on a next, but won't be able to play until tuesday :(

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Is that the same material as on the Hypervenoms? If so its loving lovely and its probably my fave synthetic material to use on a boot, you can get great traction on the ball from it.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Playing in a tournament this weekend with two games on Saturday, 9:30am and 12:30pm. Any suggestions on what/when to eat? My first thought is to just not eat anything in between those games, but I don't want to go into the second with nothing in the tank.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lazlow posted:

Playing in a tournament this weekend with two games on Saturday, 9:30am and 12:30pm. Any suggestions on what/when to eat? My first thought is to just not eat anything in between those games, but I don't want to go into the second with nothing in the tank.

Eat a Powerbar or something like that between games and rehydrate. Gatorade would be good for the electrolytes.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Eat a Powerbar or something like that between games and rehydrate. Gatorade would be good for the electrolytes.

Yeah, I figured, I was just wondering if anyone had One Weird Trick.

I usually just drink loads of water (pretty much what I drink all the time anyway), is Gatorade that much better? I know to stay away from most of the other gatorade clones.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
if you drink gatorade you should mix it half and half with water because it is awful, you'd be better off drinking a coke

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Gatorade is good for a hangover and bad for everything else.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Beer has carbs. Carbs=fuel. Drink a beer.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

My indoor team always goes for beers after our games. We should probably go before the game, maybe we would actually win a match.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Diplomat posted:

My indoor team always goes for beers after our games. We should probably go before the game, maybe we would actually win a match.

Holy poo poo, are you on my team?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

Beer has carbs. Carbs=fuel. Drink a beer.

There will be plenty drunk tonight, and tomorrow night. :toot:

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Lazlow posted:

Before game: Carbs and bananas and lots of water. Between games: Banana, diluted sports drink (the stuff they make now is basically mt. dew plus electrolytes so it's bad by itself), maybe an energy bar or something in that vein.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Orange slices and sunny D will make you grow up strong

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The one true heezy posted:

Orange slices and sunny D will make you grow up strong

My weeknight team did this during the last playoff night. We were the first seed, so our semifinal was at 6:30 and the final at 8:30. During the second semifinal, we sat in the stands and had orange slices and Sunny D and beer but don't tell the league

We won the final 8-1 so clearly it worked.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

:toot::toot::toot:

Since I was too lazy to replace my expensive gloves with spines since they broke a couple of months ago I've been playing with some cheap gloves with no finger protection. Obviously it was my fault I said out loud that it was amazing I hadn't broken anything yet since on the weekend I managed to get a triple-break in my right 5th finger. It's now a delightful shade of black/purple and I'm enjoying the therapeutic effects of scotch and panadiene.

I won't be wearing them for a few weeks, but who's got suggestions for goalie gloves so I don't just go and buy the ones I always buy regardless of relative quality - my only prerequisite is that they have finger protection and my budget is <$150 (although <$100 is preferable). For reference I'm in Australia so my selection is limited, although hopefully I can get things ordered in. Size is always a factor, since I find a lot of gloves have fingers that are too long for me (drat stubbiness).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Get a UK goon to send you a couple of pairs of sondico aqua spines for that money. Sports direct, bargain. I would but I live in Chicago now and won't to back to England until early August

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

JFairfax posted:

sondico aqua spines

I wish I could find these at any US retailer. From what I've heard they're some of the best gloves out there, but they're UK-only at every site I've found. Then again, I use a pair of Adidas Replique Predators that cost me $30 and started to break seams after a month, so what do I know?

My girlfriend's cousin needs a keeper for his Sunday League squad, but my job makes me work almost every Sunday. This must be what Hell is really like.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Aqua Spines are cheap enough at Sports Direct (did Mike Ashley buy Sondico as well?) that I can use a couple of pairs a season, they're always on sale and I think come in around £20 which is perfectly reasonable to buy a couple of pairs per season.

The last pair I got were variants on the Aqua Spines which were similar but not quite as much emphasis on wet weather performance. Anyway, I really rate them.

http://store.sondico.com/sondico-aqua-spine-goalkeeping-gloves-mens-832035?colcode=83203538

Hmmm here they are £13 quid and their website says they do international delivery...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

:toot::toot::toot:

Since I was too lazy to replace my expensive gloves with spines since they broke a couple of months ago I've been playing with some cheap gloves with no finger protection. Obviously it was my fault I said out loud that it was amazing I hadn't broken anything yet since on the weekend I managed to get a triple-break in my right 5th finger. It's now a delightful shade of black/purple and I'm enjoying the therapeutic effects of scotch and panadiene.

Didn't comment on this before. A few years back I thought I dislocated my finger playing five a side, finished the game obviously, thought it was just sprained.

When I got home that evening it bloody hurt, I kept wriggling it and trying to pop it back in but it wasn't. I mean it was rather wonky.

Anyway, go to the hospital the next day and the bloody thing is fractured not dislocated. So I had been trying to pop my fractured finger back into a socket that it was not dislocated from.

I am an idiot.

Still, it wasn't too bad and I am sure you'll be back no normal in a few weeks, and given it's your 5th finger it shouldn't cause too much of a problem for you in your day to day life until it heals.