Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally ready to play this game. Quick questions:

1. The OP mentions good mods to use, but doesn't really say how. Is it easy to mod the game? Is there some sort of manager if you want to use multiple mods. I want to use the Steam version, so I'm not sure if the complicates things.

2. How is the "Witcher 2 Full Combat Rebalance" mod? I know it's made by CDprojeckt Red, so is it more of a required patch at this point than an actual mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FCR isn't required and I don't think it's even very good. The vanilla game is fine as is and doesn't need modding. You can mess with mods on your second playthrough if you really want to.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So what's gonna be shown at Monday's E3 for Witcher 3? Twitch has it listed as a scheduled event.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

FCR isn't required and I don't think it's even very good. The vanilla game is fine as is and doesn't need modding. You can mess with mods on your second playthrough if you really want to.

I would go for the "low-weight stuff/Gerald has unlimited carrying capacity" tweak, especially if you compulsively pick up everything just in case. First time through, you're not going to know which ingredients/potions/bombs/traps/etc. are useful, this way you can carry everything.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

monster on a stick posted:

I would go for the "low-weight stuff/Gerald has unlimited carrying capacity" tweak, especially if you compulsively pick up everything just in case. First time through, you're not going to know which ingredients/potions/bombs/traps/etc. are useful, this way you can carry everything.

Yea I was hoping for stuff like that really. There won't ever be a second play through. I only play games once. Do you guys just manually mod the game or use the nexus mod manager?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Megasabin posted:

Yea I was hoping for stuff like that really. There won't ever be a second play through. I only play games once. Do you guys just manually mod the game or use the nexus mod manager?

Mods go into the CookedPC folder.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Megasabin posted:

There won't ever be a second play through. I only play games once.

Act 2 has two very different/distinct paths. If you are only going to play through once I think the consensus is go with Iorveth's path so you get a better idea of the bigger picture/what is actually going on.

I suggest making a save at the end of Act 1 before you commit to helping either side so you can do both without needing to re-play the rest of the game.

Just my two cents though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You haven't finished TW2 unless you've played it twice.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Arguably three times.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

I didn't have an issue with it myself but yeah if you hate managing inventory or dealing with carrying capacity you can throw that one in.

And yeah, this game is meant to be played twice. There are two completely different second halves to the game, and enough choices and content in them to play through multiple times.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

You don't have to learn Polish, the office is english. I know only a little polish. Additionally, Polish is considered so difficult that the locals don't mind that much if you never learn it.

EDIT: The company offers free lessons too, and there are a lot of expats here who are also learning. And a lot of expats who don't even try (they are french)

My teacher who taught me Russian told me once that Polish is very similar aside from the alphabet. I don't know first hand if that's the case, but if it is then learning it shouldn't be too bad, especially if one is actually living in Poland.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Moscow? We've got a studio in Krakov, not Moscow.

You don't have to learn Polish, the office is english. I know only a little polish. Additionally, Polish is considered so difficult that the locals don't mind that much if you never learn it.

EDIT: The company offers free lessons too, and there are a lot of expats here who are also learning. And a lot of expats who don't even try (they are french)

Krakov is a lovely town. I arrived there one sunset off the train and walked into the square and they were grilling those ridiculously delicious sausages on huge round griddles over aromatic woodfires and the light and the beautiful old buildings and it was p much the most romantic motherfuckin thing i'd ever even seen.

e: oh and from experience u can get by fine in polish for a couple of weeks with the words for yes, no, thank you very much and beer which I can teach you in like five min

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just started playing, what's the "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" about? Spoiler?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Just started playing, what's the "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" about? Spoiler?

It's a joke.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's a joke, a play on words. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I+Hardly+Know+Her

Yennefer is a character you'll see brought up in the game, although it's not a spoiler to tell you that she's a sorceress that Geralt previously was in love with prior to his amnesia.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Some of those jobs descriptions are in Polish, are those the ones that you only want locals for?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Asehujiko posted:

Some of those jobs descriptions are in Polish, are those the ones that you only want locals for?

Yeah, it's expensive to hire foreigners.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014
Greetings everyone. First post to SA and just wanted to check in on the Witcher section. My wife thinks there is something wrong with me about how much I follow the series and she is probably right. First clued into the Witcher based on a recommendation from someone I was talking to expressing my -WTF- with the Mass Effect 3 ending, a series I was really into before that disaster. Played Witcher 2 and the story was amazing, even though I did not follow all the political maneuvering. Then played the original Witcher game, which got me into it enough to read the books.

If you haven't read the books, you are really missing out. Some of the most captivating writing I have experienced in a decade. Further, I have a feeling for The Witcher 3, it's going to be a lot more meaningful having read the books. Most people are expecting to be introduced to both Yennefer and Ciri in the third game, but having read all of the books I think it will be a deeper connection.

Aside from the short stories, it is possible to read the entire five book saga (not including the prequel which Sapkowski just wrote). The first three you have to buy because there are official translations out, the fourth and fifth there are good fan translations out for free (which at like 300 pages each was a labor of love). The first book (Blood of Elves) was kind of slow and took forever to get going, the second was better but still a lot of "what does all this matter?" The third book, Baptism of Fire, was a lot better than the first two, and the fourth - Tower of Swallow - was probably my overall favorite. The last book, Lady of the Lake, was good as well even though the ending was kind of ????. But having read the books, The Witcher 2 made a lot more sense and I totally get why the conventional wisdom when fans are asked to choose between Triss and Yennefer, people who have only played the game prefer Triss and people who have read the books say Yennefer.

In summary, if you like the games, the books are a good way to keep enjoying the series even though they take place before the game. And they'll likely help foster a better experience with the third game. Thank you CDPR for delaying the release date. Bioware would have done exactly the opposite.

If anyone made it this far, thanks for reading, perhaps you did serve in the Dun Banner.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rdubs posted:

Greetings everyone. First post to SA and just wanted to check in on the Witcher section. My wife thinks there is something wrong with me about how much I follow the series and she is probably right. First clued into the Witcher based on a recommendation from someone I was talking to expressing my -WTF- with the Mass Effect 3 ending, a series I was really into before that disaster. Played Witcher 2 and the story was amazing, even though I did not follow all the political maneuvering. Then played the original Witcher game, which got me into it enough to read the books.

If you haven't read the books, you are really missing out. Some of the most captivating writing I have experienced in a decade. Further, I have a feeling for The Witcher 3, it's going to be a lot more meaningful having read the books. Most people are expecting to be introduced to both Yennefer and Ciri in the third game, but having read all of the books I think it will be a deeper connection.

Aside from the short stories, it is possible to read the entire five book saga (not including the prequel which Sapkowski just wrote). The first three you have to buy because there are official translations out, the fourth and fifth there are good fan translations out for free (which at like 300 pages each was a labor of love). The first book (Blood of Elves) was kind of slow and took forever to get going, the second was better but still a lot of "what does all this matter?" The third book, Baptism of Fire, was a lot better than the first two, and the fourth - Tower of Swallow - was probably my overall favorite. The last book, Lady of the Lake, was good as well even though the ending was kind of ????. But having read the books, The Witcher 2 made a lot more sense and I totally get why the conventional wisdom when fans are asked to choose between Triss and Yennefer, people who have only played the game prefer Triss and people who have read the books say Yennefer.

In summary, if you like the games, the books are a good way to keep enjoying the series even though they take place before the game. And they'll likely help foster a better experience with the third game. Thank you CDPR for delaying the release date. Bioware would have done exactly the opposite.

If anyone made it this far, thanks for reading, perhaps you did serve in the Dun Banner.

Filthy JFW, ban him.

I haven't seen anything from Sapowski that's not grindingly terrible fantasy shlock, but I'm willing to say that's bad translation - have you got an example of one of his better passages?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

sebmojo posted:

I haven't seen anything from Sapowski that's not grindingly terrible fantasy shlock, but I'm willing to say that's bad translation - have you got an example of one of his better passages?

If the only thing you have read is some of the early short stories then yeah I understand not thinking it's that great. He tended to learn a lot very quickly as he wrote so his stuff tends to get better very quickly.

I can't remember any specific passages because by and large a lot of what I read personally wasn't the best insofar as translations go. But I could definitely tell they were well written in polish because you could see all kinds of symbolism, imagery, foreshadowing. Even the ending was actually foreshadowed and fit well into the story which is interesting given how large of a twist it was. Very solid setting up tells me he knew what he was doing from a story writing perspective. The politics was also by and large very cleverly done, and quite complex, it's like ASOIAF before that was a thing. It also deals with some complex ideas like free will, fate, ethics, big philosophic ideas, economic ploys.

I also like his writing, how he changes perspectives often when talking about an event. It's very unique from what I've seen. Eg. Here's Geralt and crew in the event. Cut to 500 years in the future of historians doing an excavation. Cut to 2 months in the future of a girl on trial talking about the event.

The characters are also far from standard fantasy. They often have complex motivations, struggles, and very few people are black and white or how others see them. eg. Zoltan is a generally good guy but helped murder a merchant in a robbery gone wrong. He want's to make up for what went wrong and in a way is searching for redemption for his folly.

Probably my favorite passage but super spoilerific, involves a major death, and was probably heightened by the build up to the passage in other novels. So be warned if you ever plan to read the books.

Milva/Maria is the same person FYI, and it's important to know that she had a troubled childhood. Her father died when she was young, and she felt like her parents never really cared about her.

The bowstring hummed. One of the brave three screamed in pain, leaned over the rail and fell against the pavement of the patio. Seeing this, the other two faltered. They fell to the ground and huddled. Those who were rushing into the gallery were apparently reluctant and stayed in safe shelter from Milva's arrows.
With one exception.
Milva evaluated him on sight. Not very tall, dark complexion, brunette. With a glossy protector on his left forearm and a glove on his right hand. The girl saw that his compound bow was beautifully crafted, with a fitted handle and a curved staff as it tightened smoothly. She could she how tense the chord was as it crossed his swarthy face, she saw the arrow's feathers touch his cheek. She saw that he measured exactly.
Milva readied her bow, strung it deftly, and aimed. The string came up to her face, one of the feathers grazed the corner of her mouth.

'Harder, harder, Maria, to the mouth. Move your fingers on the bowstring so the arrow does not come loose from the notch. Let your hand rest on your jaw. Aim! Both eyes open! Hold your breath! Shoot!'
The bowstring, despite her protector, painfully bit into her left forearm.
Her father wanted to say something, but fell into a fit of coughing - dry, crisp, torturous. The cough was getting worse, thought Maria Barring as she lowered the bow. Worse and more often. He coughed yesterday, just as I aimed at a deer. And for lunch we had boiled cabbage. I hate boiled cabbage. I hate being hungry. And misery.
The older Barring gasped and wheezed harshly.
'You hit an inch from the center, oaf! A whole inch! I told you not to move or drop the bow! And you sit there wiggling as if someone had put a snail in your rear end. And you spend too long aiming. You'll get weary hands, just shoot! Or you'll keep wasting arrows!'
'I hit it! And not a whole inch, but barely half a span from the center!'
'Do not argue! The gods punished me when they sent me you instead of a son and moreover, awkward as a boob!'
'I'm not a boob!'
'Well, show me. Shoot again. And learn from what I've said. No wiggling, like you're stuck in the ground. Aim and shoot without hesitation. Why are you crying?'
'Because you scrutinize me.'
'It's a father's right. Shoot.'
She tightened the bow. She was crying. He saw it.
'I love you Maria,' he said softly. 'Never forget that.'
She let go of the string, the feathers barely touched the corner of her mouth.
Good,' said her father. 'Good, my daughter.'
He began to cough in a terrible, rattling way.

The black archer was killed on the spot. Milva's arrow struck him under the left arm and penetrated deeply, more than halfway down the shaft, shattering ribs, and smashing the lungs and heart.
He fired a fraction of a second earlier and the red feathered arrow struck Milva low in the abdomen. It tore into her guts and severed an artery and shattered her pelvis. The archer fell to the floor as if hit by a battering ram.
Geralt and Cahir cried out with one voice. Aware that the Milva was down, the archers in the gallery once again jumped up and fired a hail of arrows. One of the arrows hit Cahir's helmet. A second, Geralt swore, combed his hair.
Milva left behind her a large, shiny trail of blood. In the place where she lay, in a blink of an eye, it had grown into a puddle on the floor. Cahir cursed, his hands were shaking. Geralt felt overwhelmed by despair. And rage.
'Auntie!' howled Angouleme. 'Auntie, don't die!'
Maria Barring opened her mouth, coughed horribly and spit blood down her chin.
'I love you too, Dad,' she said clearly.
And she died.

I'll look up more later if you want, there's a good one of Geralt and his mother.

Rdubs
Jun 2, 2014
Cookiemonster you are AWESOME. What you quoted was, without question, the saddest thing I read in that entire 5 book saga. When we were first introduced to that one character in the third book, I loved her - and was constantly hoping she was going to find a romantic connection with Geralt. And that she would make it all the way through. Then in the climatic part of the 5th book, not only does what you quote happen, but something also happens to my second favorite character - the one who had the winged helmet, I think you know who I am talking about. The one with the name so long I was like, drat how the heck did the author think that one up.

Leo Bonhart was a bad motherfucker. Whenever he came up, I feared him.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
A reminder that this is today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCpuFCyQik

i am a shill

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
http://new.livestream.com/gogcom/REDGOGstream

2 more hours...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If by "shill" you mean "a gentleman and a scholar" then I agree with you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yesssss, look at that lighting.

Who was worried about the grey palette of the previous clips? It looks like the game is visual going to be only a bit darker than W2, that inn fight was gorgeous.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Who was worried about the grey palette of the previous clips? It looks like the game is visual going to be only a bit darker than W2, that inn fight was gorgeous.

No one, really? The very first screenshots they showed weren't grey, and the trailers already had plenty of color.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Stream's up. Here's another: http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Renagado
Feb 21, 2014
That collector's edition is pretty cool

e: That trailer :vince:

Renagado fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
YENNEFER LIVES. Also this trailer looks awesome and sounds awesome and it contains awesome and awesome.

Awesome.

Sadly, though, it looks like a PS2 game.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Leb posted:

YENNEFER LIVES. Also this trailer looks awesome and sounds awesome and it contains awesome and awesome.

Awesome.

Of course she lives. Letho told you she was in Nilfgaard.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Leb posted:

Are your eyes broken?

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

Trailer if anyone missed the stream. It looks absolutely incredible.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well that was awesome.

Also yeah, your eyes are broken if you think this looks anything like PS2.

So we have a release date and a few trailers and such. Someone want to make a new thread? Not me.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Yay awesome trailer. Sword of Destiny indeed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Leb posted:

Your humor is too subtle for anyone to comprehend, I think. At the very least, I genuinely don't get it.

Anyway, the trailer was really, really impressive, so much that I don't even want to sperg with nitpicks on what I didn't like.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Your humor is too subtle for anyone to comprehend, I think. At the very least, I genuinely don't get it.

I've heard a lot about how the game looks bad based on the relatively recent batch of screenshots so I may have missed the joke, welp.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's easily amongst the best trailers I've ever seen for a video game. Just disappointed that I'm going to have to buy a new graphics card, because I don't think the PS4 will be able to give me all of that goodness.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just FYI if you missed it, you get a 10% discount on Witcher 3 if you preorder, and also another 5% each if you own Witcher 1 or 2. You can register copies bought from other places on GoG even, including the old retail boxed version of Witcher 1. I'm pretty sure I've seen Witcher 1 go on sale for less than $3 before, so if you don't already own it you might keep your eyes out for sales and essentially get money back.

I'm not really clear on what the Adventure game is. Is it a F2P kind of thing or just a regular board game with online play?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The latter, they said it wouldn't be f2p and would have a normal retail price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Markkei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU

Trailer if anyone missed the stream. It looks absolutely incredible.

The sound you hear is Bioware and Bethesda crying.

• Locked thread