Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Love the score so much. Best part of the movie was near the end when it keeps cutting back to the lead and has that Carpenter-as-gently caress music.

Another reason you all need to see The Guest as soon as it becomes possible: Wingard went all out on the score in that to the point where I'm convinced that movie exists in a universe where there are no non-synth instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I dunno, "twists" are so often invoked derisively that it's impossible to defend. Even in Silent House/La Casa Muda, a movie that I didn't think was amazing but I think about all the time anyway, the word "twist" is in the back of my mind and it annoys me.

Yeah but that's just semantics. There's good twists and bad twists and twists that just twist everything until the twist is a twisted twist that twists out of twist.

edit: speaking of unexpected twists Bobcat Goldthwait made a horror movie called Willow Creek. Has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

Technetium fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 4, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno, "twists" are so often invoked derisively that it's impossible to defend. Even in Silent House/La Casa Muda, a movie that I didn't think was amazing but I think about all the time anyway, the word "twist" is in the back of my mind and it annoys me.

Well I mean La Casa Muda is particularly cheap and stupid about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Technetium posted:

Yeah but that's just semantics. There's good twists and bad twists and twists that just twist everything until the twist is a twisted twist that twists out of twist.

edit: speaking of unexpected twists Bobcat Goldthwait made a horror movie called Willow Creek. Has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?

Yeah, I quite liked it but it is a pretty straight forward found footage movie, like Blair Witch straight forward. One of the main notable things about it is that it only has like 90 or so cuts in the entire thing. He really tried to create the feel that the movie was the tape as it was found, rather than something that was edited together. This leads to a scene that goes on for about 20 minutes without a single cut and it's amazing. It's not a movie that brings alot new to the genre, but if you're like me and just like a good FF movie where the director is loving with his actors in the woods, it's pretty solid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well I mean La Casa Muda is particularly cheap and stupid about it.

I don't think it's cheap, it's just a movie built around an obvious reveal. There's nothing really wrong with that. It's very well made except for the fact that they give it up almost immediately.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I quite liked it but it is a pretty straight forward found footage movie, like Blair Witch straight forward. One of the main notable things about it is that it only has like 90 or so cuts in the entire thing. He really tried to create the feel that the movie was the tape as it was found, rather than something that was edited together. This leads to a scene that goes on for about 20 minutes without a single cut and it's amazing. It's not a movie that brings alot new to the genre, but if you're like me and just like a good FF movie where the director is loving with his actors in the woods, it's pretty solid.

I think one of the things that really didn't work for me was exactly how identical the plot was to the BWP but with the central threat just swapped out for something else.

The aforementioned 20 minute scene was really good and tense but so much of the movie was exposition and it had a complete non-ending which left me pretty sour on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't really know what to say about Shirome, but the part where Momoiro Clover performs for the dark spirit in an abandoned schoolhouse might be the creepiest dance sequence since The Locomotion in INLAND EMPIRE.

The idea is so obvious as to be trite: purely for the shot at greater fame, a bunch of teenage girls aged 14-17 are asked to offer themselves to a dark spirit which they accept as a duty. Like every other Shiraishi movie, it would be better without SFX. This plays so much better when they are surrounded by men; their fanbase at their concerts exists primarily of men, their handlers are primarily men who micromanage their lives to the point where they play up their cuteness as though they're drilled in it. The girls themselves are the creepiest thing about the film, they are a real group, meaning that they are real girls, pretending to be innocent, spontaneous youngsters on stage, obeying without input. All of their protests are in good cheer.

Even though they've been pranked, the real joke is that they are nevertheless hollowed out and possessed by a dark force. Their lives are no longer their own, but this happened with or without a token offering to a demon. Making it even funnier is that this particular group is one of the most wildly successful idol groups currently.

I dunno, I really liked it. Very seedy and detective magazine-y. I want to see the one he did that's a take on Man Bites Dog, next.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I don't really know what to say about Shirome, but the part where Momoiro Clover performs for the dark spirit in an abandoned schoolhouse might be the creepiest dance sequence since The Locomotion in INLAND EMPIRE.

:words:

I dunno, I really liked it. Very seedy and detective magazine-y. I want to see the one he did that's a take on Man Bites Dog, next.

I agree, although if you don't have a stomach for japanese girls yelling I wouldn't recommend it. It's funny that the girl who was "posessed"/in on it left the group fairly shortly after the movie was made. I wonder! :v:

I think the horror is not about the silly ghost, it's about the entire culture around why they went there in the first place, which is endlessly fascinating to me and makes me give a pass to the silly CG et al.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Occult is the only one where I think the crappy CGI works.

LegionAreI posted:

I agree, although if you don't have a stomach for japanese girls yelling I wouldn't recommend it. It's funny that the girl who was "posessed"/in on it left the group fairly shortly after the movie was made. I wonder! :v:

That's rad, by the way. I've never been an actor, but I know what listening to my voicemail message sounds like and then having the reaction of shutting it off halfway, mortified by how nerdy I sound. I can't imagine what it's like to be a teenager, playing a character who is playing a character in a movie which is supposed to be yourself being so overwhelmed by the pressure of keeping up an act to the point where you have a seizure.

Again, really simple and obvious idea, but the concept of pop idols (and specifically these virginal girl groups) seen from the outside is already so absurd it seems difficult to make fun of. The shaved head scandal and the recent fan event saw attack were on my mind recently watching this. Real seedy nightmare society stuff, the fun is all in deciding what makes your skin crawl more, the insanely regimented cuteness or the kind of culture that deems it desirable and rewards it with success.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I think Occult is the only one where I think the crappy CGI works.
It sure was a reveal... almost 2 hours of build up and then wow

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think it's cheap, it's just a movie built around an obvious reveal. There's nothing really wrong with that. It's very well made except for the fact that they give it up almost immediately.

It just feels to me like an embodiment of that era in the early 2000s after Fight Club and the Sixth Sense when every movie had an internet fan theory about how half the characters were dead or imaginary, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

It sure was a reveal... almost 2 hours of build up and then wow

The build up is incredible though, in no way does crappy CGI ruin it. I would've done it another way but in general I like when a horror movie has no money but decides to go for something anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It just feels to me like an embodiment of that era in the early 2000s after Fight Club and the Sixth Sense when every movie had an internet fan theory about how half the characters were dead or imaginary, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

That's almost exactly why it bugs me, because the premise is actually a solid idea. I wish it gave a little less because the tone is so strong. Compare it with the other Elizabeth Olsen sort of horror movie from that year, Martha Marcy May Marlene, which tells you very little and is just is creepy, if not more so. (sidenote if you halfway liked The Sacrament, MMMM is way creepier)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 4, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The build up is incredible though, in no way does crappy CGI ruin it.

I respectfully disagree. The last shot is just so awful and ridiculous that I really feel it adds nothing and for me was way worse than just having nothing.

I didn't much care for that movie, or most of Kôji Shiraishi's movies for that matter, in general though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

I respectfully disagree. The last shot is just so awful and ridiculous that I really feel it adds nothing and for me was way worse than just having nothing.

I didn't much care for that movie, or most of Kôji Shiraishi's movies for that matter, in general though.

I'm OK with Kôji Shiraishi making movies that push my buttons so specifically. Grotesque sucked, that's not my kind of thing at all. Permanently overcast weird workaday Japan, no love hotels or samurai in sight, that's my poo poo. Newsmagazine format? Even better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I never understood what people saw in Noroi to begin with so when people describe it as his best film it doesn't exactly inspire me to dig up the others.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I never understood what people saw in Noroi to begin with so when people describe it as his best film it doesn't exactly inspire me to dig up the others.

Family portrait with censor boxes over the eyes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Noroi's the one I've seen that I sort of like but in that one the ridiculous ending worked for me.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Do you guys have any favorite hard rock/metal horror flicks (think Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Hard Rock Zombies, etc.)? Been binging on them lately.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

Do you guys have any favorite hard rock/metal horror flicks (think Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Hard Rock Zombies, etc.)? Been binging on them lately.

I mean Return of the Living Dead is the obvious gold standard.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
The silly-rear end ending to Occult is exactly what made me go from liking it to loving it. Then again I really liked The Borderlands for primarily the same reason, so I think I just have a thing for these types of movies that go whole-hog with the silly endings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The last time a horror movie had an ending so terrible it pissed me off was Mausoleum (1983).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The last time a horror movie had an ending so terrible it pissed me off was Mausoleum (1983).

Hahaha, oh man, that movie.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Care to spoil it or should I watch it myself?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Technetium posted:

Care to spoil it or should I watch it myself?

It has almost nothing to do with the actual ending, which is sort of cool. It's just some idiot they picked up at the liquor store dressed like a druid chuckling in a cemetery.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It has almost nothing to do with the actual ending, which is sort of cool. It's just some idiot they picked up at the liquor store dressed like a druid chuckling in a cemetery.

Isn't he also the gardener that Bobbi Breese bangs and then kills earlier in the movie? And they just don't explain why he's not dead or what the deal is?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Isn't he also the gardener that Bobbi Breese bangs and then kills earlier in the movie? And they just don't explain why he's not dead or what the deal is?

Yeah. I mean what it's implying storywise is not a good gotcha. It's more like...OK? And?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah. I mean what it's implying storywise is not a good gotcha. It's more like...OK? And?

Yeah it's a pretty dope "...Huh?" moment. I have no idea what they were going for there.

Watch Mausoleum, y'all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bobbi Breese is a nice looking woman, being a Playboy Playmate and all, but I think it would've been much better if it were Meg Foster.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Eh, I have a hard time looking at the plot and how it plays out and not seeing it as at least poking some fun at the genre. I mean it's about some people planning a really deliberate, greed based crime to look like a senseless horror movie plot. They plan this out right down to them having a final girl. However their entire plan gets shot when the final girl actually turns out to be competent and intelligence rather than taking up the place that women usually take in horror films. This character ends up being such an anomaly to the genre their trying to replicate that she ends up taking their place as the monster.

I liked it well enough with the story just being what it was, but what nails it for me isn't part of the plot at all; it's the production side. When the story essentially flips (I wouldn't say 'twists', but it is a flip of sorts), it's shot differently. The cinematography becomes every bit a part of it as the story. The killers scenes are shot more like slasher victims, her scenes are shot more like a slasher's.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

Return of the Living Dead, The Gate, Lords of Salem. There was a real bad one we used to watch in middle school called Trick or Treat that had Ozzy and Gene Simmons in dumb cameos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

acephalousuniverse posted:

Return of the Living Dead, The Gate, Lords of Salem.

Three of my favorites of all time. On a rewatch, Lords of Salem is creeping up there for the shot over the end credits alone. The Gate is one of my favorites if only because it's one of the only horror movies where I ever felt the kids were in peril.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really need to rewatch Trick Or Treat

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Gate is probably the best horror movie ever.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Gate is wonderful. You can show it to kids and not pay attention until you notice the movie is over and they've started watching Chillerama. :ohdear:

Oliver Reed posted:

Rock n Roll Nightmare is incredible. Do not watch the amateur sequel from ~2005. It's unbearable and has hardly any Thor.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Gate is wonderful. You can show it to kids and not pay attention until you notice the movie is over and they've started watching Chillerama. :ohdear:

This happened to me recently, my 9 year old discovered Chillerama on Netflix Instant. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was watching, and since he has a couple of DVD collections of old horror movies from the 50s and 60s I assumed it was one of those until the sperm.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Oliver Reed posted:

Wild Zero seems pretty obvious.

Ahahah in hindsight it's extremely funny as an abstraction, but at the time my only response was like, wha... no gently caress you

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

I liked it well enough with the story just being what it was, but what nails it for me isn't part of the plot at all; it's the production side. When the story essentially flips (I wouldn't say 'twists', but it is a flip of sorts), it's shot differently. The cinematography becomes every bit a part of it as the story. The killers scenes are shot more like slasher victims, her scenes are shot more like a slasher's.

This is a big part of what I enjoyed about You're Next. The way they set up the stalking/chasing sequences later on, it's increasingly unclear who's in more danger, Erin or the killers.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

Not exactly horror but Detroit Metal City is an absolute must-watch and also features a superfluous Gene Simmons cameo.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not exactly horror but Detroit Metal City is an absolute must-watch and also features a superfluous Gene Simmons cameo.

I googled this and all that came up was anime, did you mean Detroit Rock City or is it something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
There's a live-action Japanese movie based off the same thing the anime's based off of. Frankly the anime's better (but that's mostly because the anime owns like hell and the movie's just okay)