Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CitW has a whole bunch of problems but it's still worth watching for the sight of Chris Hemsworth majestically jumping a gorge in a motorbike only to splat against a force-field, Wile-E-Coyote style.

Malloreon posted:

Knowing what you know, Cabin in the Woods is still the single smartest horror movie of all time. Just edging out Tucker & Dale Vs Evil.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Or, watch both. Both are good.

CiTW is good too (gently caress the haters).

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm insanely reminded of rubber when I watched cabin in the woods. It's sorta the kind of movie the creator of Rubber would make if he were much lower brow.

Thanks for the second movie recommendation. Just watched Gladiator for the first time too (I've actually seen it once before but I was so zonked out I literally only remember the end scene. Bad zonked, not braggen...)
Like for reals Cabin is like Rubber but for a larger audience. The creators must love the movie.. There's a Rec back out.

Watch Rubber, while you're at it watch Enter the Void and Irreversible. Again. I don't care. Do it.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The first five minutes of Rubber is essential viewing for anyone interested in surrealist comedy. The rest of the movie, not so much.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Not if you like to watch heads explode and a whole bunch of insanely surreal poo poo. It's a good watch when you're high either way. All three.

\/ I disagree. I actually like rubber better than cabin. Cabin is fuckin awesome still though.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 4, 2014

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
In fact, save the five minutes and read a quick summary of the movie on Wikipedia. You'll probably get more out of it and can skip watching that trashy garbage. Rubber is a movie with an amazing premise and the worst execution imaginable.

CitW is roughly one thousand times smarter.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Malloreon posted:

Heads up, it looks like all the Ken Burns documentaries on streaming are expiring 7/1, so you've got a little under a month to see:

The Dust Bowl
Jazz
Baseball
The War (world war 2)
The West
Prohibition
The National Parks

You're going to need the whole month to get through all those too! Great documentaries, well worth a watch. I see them come and go on Netflix so I wouldn't worry too much since they'll probably be back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Malloreon posted:

Knowing what you know, Cabin in the Woods is still the single smartest horror movie of all time. Just edging out Tucker & Dale Vs Evil.

I'm hyperventilating I need to close the browser goodnight everyone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Malloreon posted:

Knowing what you know, Cabin in the Woods is still the single smartest horror movie of all time.

Oh come on, I like the film but even American Mary is smarter.

Actually everyone just go watch American Mary right now. Just trust me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Richard Jenkins is the reason why I enjoy CitW, heck the other guy he is with too. Every segment they aren't in I start getting bored.

Oh, gas station dude too, of course.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Smartest horror movie is Exorcist II: The Heretic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, Resolution :stare:

Thanks thread. There is not nearly enough love in here for this flick. I would double bill it with Wake in Fright, just make sure you're not alone and you have plenty of beer or something to keep you from going insane.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, Resolution :stare:

Thanks thread. There is not nearly enough love in here for this flick. I would double bill it with Wake in Fright, just make sure you're not alone and you have plenty of beer or something to keep you from going insane.

Yeah I just watched it too and it was very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah I just watched it too and it was very good.

It hit really close to home in its basic premise, and the execution was just absolutely phenomenal and constantly surprising. I'm really puzzled as to why I never heard of it until now. One of the best films I've seen in recent memory, not just in the "horror" genre (I'm not even sure it's a horror film).

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's not a horror film it's the awkward offspring of from dusk till dawn and an extended twilight zone episode (one of the ones where nothing actually happens). Cabin in the woods is like a really good movie that Sci-Fi made (all those really lovely ones).

It's really good considering nothing really happens... You guys seem to be real suckers for these kinds of endings though. And suspense with absolutely no substance at all like it's something new. The style is also something else but whatever. As in an issue with it. There pretty much isn't any in Resolution. Which is probably why I'd highly recommend it but I'm probably never going to watch it again.

Because I can go watch the twilight zone. It's almost a crude answer to all the cool poo poo that went down last decade. In a way it almost defeats the purpose.

Same loving thing happening in the music industry too.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTltexLSqo

I blame the hipsters.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 4, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I just watched Berberian Sound Studio which most of you seemed to love and frankly it was pretty tedious. It was cool to see how the recording was done back then and foley is always neat but aside from that it just wasn't really interesting. And the sound was by no means bad but they didn't really do anything with it to warrant all the people saying you should watch it with headphones or a good speaker system.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NeoSeeker posted:

It's not a horror film it's the awkward offspring of from dusk till dawn and an extended twilight zone episode (one of the ones where nothing actually happens). Cabin in the woods is like a really good movie that Sci-Fi made (all those really lovely ones).

It's really good considering nothing really happens... You guys seem to be real suckers for these kinds of endings though. And suspense with absolutely no substance at all like it's something new. The style is also something else but whatever. As in an issue with it. There pretty much isn't any in Resolution. Which is probably why I'd highly recommend it but I'm probably never going to watch it again.

Because I can go watch the twilight zone. It's almost a crude answer to all the cool poo poo that went down last decade. In a way it almost defeats the purpose.

Same loving thing happening in the music industry too.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTltexLSqo

I blame the hipsters.

I don't know what you're even trying to say, but I'll attempt to reply anyway. I actually thought the ending was the weakest part of Resolution. I would have been happier if it had ended 2 minutes earlier.

What I thought the film delivered in spades was a surreal, bleak "trip" film with two very good, fully realized actors and a Lynchian sideshow of extras. I think that, in trying to deconstruct it in this hip way you're doing, it makes you the "hipster". No substance in the film? Are you serious? There is craploads of substance! But again, if you approach it as a thriller or horror film, it won't give you the substance in those ways that you want. The substance is in it being essentially a play, a performance of theater. The film would have been just as impactful without the (gorgeous) occasional wilderness vignettes, if it had just been a one room affair with the barest of sets.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

Smartest horror movie is Exorcist II: The Heretic.

CaptCommy posted:

In fact, save the five minutes and read a quick summary of the movie on Wikipedia. You'll probably get more out of it and can skip watching that trashy garbage. Rubber is a movie with an amazing premise and the worst execution imaginable.

CitW is roughly one thousand times smarter.

What is "smart" in this case? Candyman is "smarter" than all of these movies. Every horror movie made by David Cronenberg is smarter than all of these movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is "smart" in this case? Candyman is "smarter" than all of these movies. Every horror movie made by David Cronenberg is smarter than all of these movies.

I mean, if you wanted to say that Cabin in the Woods was the smartest horror parody that would at least maybe be an argument you could make (poorly). But if you watch that film and think greater minds are at work than you do after watching Psycho, or Carrie, or Halloween, or Dead Ringers, or The Shining, or Nosferatu, or The Exorcist, or Alien, or Rosemary's Baby....

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I feel like the CitW debate has been done to death, but I'll just add that if you're going in expecting a "smart" movie, then you're bound to be disappointed. CitW is a parody of how lowbrow, formulaic, and artificial the horror genre is, and to some extent or another has always been, and it needs to get pretty stupid at times to make that point. It's kind of like Idiocracy in that respect - it's dumb in smart ways and smart in dumb ways, but never just straight-up smart.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean, if you wanted to say that Cabin in the Woods was the smartest horror parody that would at least maybe be an argument you could make (poorly). But if you watch that film and think greater minds are at work than you do after watching Psycho, or Carrie, or Halloween, or Dead Ringers, or The Shining, or Nosferatu, or The Exorcist, or Alien, or Rosemary's Baby....

South Park is the smartest show on TV.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

South Park is the smartest show on TV.

Uh, no, have you seen how much science they do on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Malloreon posted:

Heads up, it looks like all the Ken Burns documentaries on streaming are expiring 7/1, so you've got a little under a month to see:

The Dust Bowl
Jazz
Baseball
The War (world war 2)
The West
Prohibition
The National Parks
Noooooo...

Well, hopefully they pop back up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The War was really good, but man it will make you sympathize with all those old people who really loving hate the Japanese. Even the non-731 atrocity poo poo they did is loving mental.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

CitW is a parody of how lowbrow, formulaic, and artificial the horror genre is, and to some extent or another has always been, and it needs to get pretty stupid at times to make that point. It's kind of like Idiocracy in that respect - it's dumb in smart ways and smart in dumb ways, but never just straight-up smart.

No. No not at all.

You do realize that every single genre is in the same condition. There's poo poo, there's gold and there's everything in between. When I think about it more and more the movie is pretty tasteless.

It's more like a parody of the horror parody genre.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 4, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ah, but fiction is artificial. No one has ever had this thought before.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What if, now bear with me here, what if art is subjective?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

What if, now bear with me here, what if art is subjective?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

bartok
May 10, 2006

I liked Cabin in the Woods but I enjoyed the original Scream more when it comes to self aware horror movies.

I finally saw Ichi the Killer and saw that there was a prequel not directed by Takashi Miike. I have to assume it is lovely because my first thought after that movie was, "What the gently caress did I just watch?" and not "Boy I sure would enjoy this more if I knew more about Ichi's past".

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I counter with

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s14e02-the-tale-of-scrotie-mcboogerballs

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bartok posted:

I finally saw Ichi the Killer and saw that there was a prequel not directed by Takashi Miike. I have to assume it is lovely because my first thought after that movie was, "What the gently caress did I just watch?" and not "Boy I sure would enjoy this more if I knew more about Ichi's past".

The Ichi prequel is bizarre but not unwatchable.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Oracle posted:

The War was really good, but man it will make you sympathize with all those old people who really loving hate the Japanese. Even the non-731 atrocity poo poo they did is loving mental.

My grandmother is one of the sweetest, well read, intelligent people I know. But man she still hates the Japanese.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My father-in-law will just be sitting around minding his own business and bust out with a random "drat Japs"

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
It's always cute when I see Japanese shows go on about the cruelty of the atomic bombs. They got off easy compared to the Germans.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

red19fire posted:

Nice!

Blue Mountain State is seriously underrated. At first, I thought it was a dumb jock show on spike like 'Manswers'. Now that I've watched it over the weekend I realize its fairly clever, just self-aware enough and has some ridiculous movie references like Raising Arizona, Field of Dreams and Platoon.

From a page back but it really, really is.

I kept getting it high on my recommendations because I watched The League, so one day while I was working I threw it on in the background just to see if it would go away If I watched it. It starts out terrible for sure, like a straight to video American Pie thing. But halfway through season 1 the show and characters start to find a groove of stupid self awareness and earnestness.

The first season is off and on but has great moments (the pocket pussy episode, holy poo poo) but the second season and most of the third is just gold. Raydon Randell is the best. "I've got my own nerd!". Show also features a great number of subtle jabs at the NCAA.

However everything with Sammy is just awful and should they make the movie I hope that character dies. He would have been written out of any other show but in BMS he's played by the producer so he gets all this screentime despite being unable to act.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

It's always cute when I see Japanese shows go on about the cruelty of the atomic bombs. They got off easy compared to the Germans.

It's not a contest, dude.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's not a contest, dude.

As chief editor of warcrimerankings.com I respectfully disagree.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Febreeze posted:

The first season is off and on but has great moments (the pocket pussy episode, holy poo poo) but the second season and most of the third is just gold. Raydon Randell is the best. "I've got my own nerd!". Show also features a great number of subtle jabs at the NCAA.

However everything with Sammy is just awful and should they make the movie I hope that character dies. He would have been written out of any other show but in BMS he's played by the producer so he gets all this screentime despite being unable to act.

:aaaaa: Now it all makes sense. At a certain point he becomes the one-man apropos-of-nothing sideshow act of each episode. He could have been an interesting foil to the jocks or a voice of reason, but instead it's I Am Wacky And Unpredictable But Also Have Sex A Lot.

He's in some weird incest side plot in season 2 that goes on for several uncomfortable episodes.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

red19fire posted:

:aaaaa: Now it all makes sense. At a certain point he becomes the one-man apropos-of-nothing sideshow act of each episode. He could have been an interesting foil to the jocks or a voice of reason, but instead it's I Am Wacky And Unpredictable But Also Have Sex A Lot.

He's in some weird incest side plot in season 2 that goes on for several uncomfortable episodes.

Yeah, Sammy is played by "Romanski", the producer. You can tell everything you need to know about him by the fact that he calls himself Romanski, which isn't even his name. I kept seeing his name in the credits and thought it was dumb, then looked it up and everything made sense.

Sammy has a couple good moments and a better actor might have made the character work, but as is he sucks, which is a shame because everyone else just keeps getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Can someone explain what I am missing with Resolution?

• Locked thread