Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Another 'make your shots count' moment just now: I spawned and found myself camped by a tiger and a Panther. I shot the tiger through the machine gun port while I was immune, the second shot in the same spot finished him off. Then I turned and broke the Panther's barrel with one round and then wrecked his transmission with one to the lower glacis. He killed himself after that to spare himself the shame.

All in all I took 4 rounds at point blank from a Panther( which had me flanked) and a Tiger and only had one track go red.

I have no idea how bad you have to be at this game to lose like that lol

I went head on with 2 panthers on the crest of a gentle hill and won in a t-34-85. I was shot in the turret at least 6 times for no damage. Finally they moved up more to get a view of my hull and I was able to sink shots into that juicy shot trap. If I was closer I would have just shot straight through the turret but this was well over 500m away on a sideways slope so my aim was all sorts of off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing a bit of t-34-57 and I honestly miss the lethality of the 76mm gun on the previous models. The penetration is nice, but it takes way more hits to kill the enemy while still being just as vulnerable as the old t-34.

Also the KV-2 is a big stupid tank and I kinda like it. The fact that it's so slow and reloading takes forever gives me an excuse to play like a pubbie and snipe from distance.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ah man, finally managed to drag my way into tier 2 tanks at last, on the russian side at least. It's like the game was determined to make the last stretch as painful as possible and kept matching me against IV F2's and Bf109's.

Anyways, now that I'm sitting in my shiny new Su-76M (why yes, I hate myself), what's the point behind those shrapnel shells? I'm guessing they're mostly there for when you shoot something with minimal armor and want to gently caress them up extra hard?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pycckuu posted:

I've been playing a bit of t-34-57 and I honestly miss the lethality of the 76mm gun on the previous models. The penetration is nice, but it takes way more hits to kill the enemy while still being just as vulnerable as the old t-34.

Also the KV-2 is a big stupid tank and I kinda like it. The fact that it's so slow and reloading takes forever gives me an excuse to play like a pubbie and snipe from distance.

At least for me, the 57 seems better just for the flat shots and the lighter barrel settles much quicker
The more I play the russian tree, the better it seems as a whole. It just doesnt have the "bad tanks" germany does. Even the t-60 line is at least really fun

Perestroika posted:

Ah man, finally managed to drag my way into tier 2 tanks at last, on the russian side at least. It's like the game was determined to make the last stretch as painful as possible and kept matching me against IV F2's and Bf109's.

Anyways, now that I'm sitting in my shiny new Su-76M (why yes, I hate myself), what's the point behind those shrapnel shells? I'm guessing they're mostly there for when you shoot something with minimal armor and want to gently caress them up extra hard?

Treat them like HE shells in that you need to hit a weak spot for them to work. If they do they really gently caress up crews. They are excellent for slotting into stugs

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 4, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Heliosicle posted:

How low are you? What are you flying? How much time are you giving yourself to pull up?

A video might help.

Typically I'll be in something like an IL-2 or THE DUCK. I guess I'm coming in too steep but even in fighters flying around 200-400m feels like I'm sticking my arms out the window to steer the plane.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BlueDestiny posted:

Typically I'll be in something like an IL-2 or THE DUCK. I guess I'm coming in too steep but even in fighters flying around 200-400m feels like I'm sticking my arms out the window to steer the plane.
Throttle cut and using S to pull up?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Why did they paint it that way? I know the germans were stricter than some nations about marking the nationality of their equipment correctly, but what is neon yellow for?

I seem contrarian and extra argumentative today because I havent slept in 24 hours BTW, just ignore me.

I think the yellow was more for an IFF-style marking, much like invasion stripes. Ugh, I should have used RLM 04 or RLM 27 for the yellow instead of neon. Fixed according to ~historical Nazi warpaint colors~.

DL: http://live.warthunder.com/post/11085/

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The Duck can barely keep itself from stalling when doing a 180 at 400kph. The Il-2 is quite maneuverable while it has energy though, so that shouldn't give many problems. It is of course also really heavy, so keep that in mind.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally started playing German tanks and holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding, these things are rear end.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Orange Mage posted:

I finally started playing German tanks and holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding, these things are rear end.

only at the start, the far left czech tanks are pretty good. Everything works out well from t2 onward.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wales Grey posted:

As it turns out, the "skins" for ground forces are basically just an image dropped on the model. Have a T-34 painted up like it was captured by the Luftwaffe:

e: make sure you rename the .tga or the folder WT creates, I just accidentally killed it trying to get a new blank square.

This is just the normal custom skin we can do with planes right? Or are we soon going to see a wave of people painting enemies like clowns like WoT?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BlueDestiny posted:

400 km/h is pretty fast for the Duck, and IL-2's can't pull up nearly as well as they used to.

Also you're quite a bit lower then you'd ever be in planes, the ground is far more uneven, and things are all very close to each other.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is just the normal custom skin we can do with planes right? Or are we soon going to see a wave of people painting enemies like clowns like WoT?

Skin should be only applicable to the player's vehicle.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Those skins are pretty funny. "Hey, if you shoot the turret, you'll hurt the mans in the turret". I had no idea.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Planes and tanks are built in different ways: the textures for the planes are "sewn" together around the model while the tanks just sort of have whatever camouflage dumped all over their .blk model.

So a plane skin looks like this:

While a tank skin looks like this:

Also they only apply to your vehicle and no one else can see it.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

Personally I wouldnt call that a snap shot. The tank was stationary while the turret was aiming. To me a snap shot is something where you peek over a hill or from behind a rock and shoot while the barrel is still bobbing. His crosshair was rock solid when he shot.

Both the t-34 and the f2 spend a similar time bobbing before the aim settles, but the oscillations on the f2 are way bigger.

Yeah that's what I was alluding to. Also, if you're zoomed in, it's no longer a snap shot. No Scope only, bitches

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh, ok, so you're just using the in game reskin thing. I thought you were talking about modifying the game files or something.

Nevermind. :downs:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dezztroy posted:

Those skins are pretty funny. "Hey, if you shoot the turret, you'll hurt the mans in the turret". I had no idea.

They're actually really helpful and I'd like something similar for War Thunder. Like every god drat tank has something unintuitive in its design and they're all different and I do not give anywhere near enough of a gently caress to look up diagrams for where every pzkpf variant keeps their ammo stores/etc.

Which is why I've mostly gone back to flying plane because it is way easier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're cheating in my opinon. :colbert:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They are literal boxes with people inside, and you not only know that those people need viewports, but also that the ammo is somewhere inside that box. So I don't get how complex can this be in a game with no HP system.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 4, 2014

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

BlueDestiny posted:

Is there a trick to flying at low-altitude in RB? It seems like no matter what plane I'm in, the controls surfaces stop working as soon as I try and do a pass on a ground target. I've crashed while pointing up and away from the ground doing a good 400kmh because the plane just kept going straight.

There is a "ground avoidance" instructor tool that everyone should turn off in one if the options menu that allows you to fly even closer to trees and crash into more cliffs.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Is there some sort of fancy preview/editing tool people are using to help make plane skins? Doodling on a flat wing is neat, but there's gotta be an easier way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Azran posted:

[quote="Galaga Galaxian" post="430557910"]
They are literal boxes with people inside, and you not only know that those people need viewports, but also that the ammo is somewhere inside that box. So I don't get how complex can this be in a game with no HP system.

Would be cool if this game had a reference of where everything is in all the tanks so you didn't have to sperg out to figure out where to shoot. I guess i'm just not hardcore enough for this game or whatever.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

UberJew posted:

They're actually really helpful and I'd like something similar for War Thunder. Like every god drat tank has something unintuitive in its design and they're all different and I do not give anywhere near enough of a gently caress to look up diagrams for where every pzkpf variant keeps their ammo stores/etc.

Like all tanks of the era had the same setup for crew, ammo and engine placement. :ssh:

Driver and radio operator in front hull. Driver on the left side (did English tanks have the driver on the right?), RO on the right. Turret houses the Gunner, Commander and Loader. Gunner on the left, commander behind him and loader on the right. Ammo storage under turret, often in sponsons. Engine in the back, transmission in the front for German tanks.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Would be cool if this game had a reference of where everything is in all the tanks so you didn't have to sperg out to figure out where to shoot. I guess i'm just not hardcore enough for this game or whatever.

Google "$TANK_NAME Internal Layout" or some-such combination of words including the name of the tank and "cutaway" or "x-ray" or "internals".

e: VVV that'd be a nice feature. VVV

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Panzeh posted:

That would actually be really handy - give every tank a viewable 'schematic' (out of game, accessable from the research tree) that shows you the guts so you know silly things like that many german tanks keep their ammo to the left (german perspective) of the cannon barrel.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I miss the early CBT where instead of giving you a module list, it instead just showed the tank internals changing color from damage. They should just let you enable that view in the garage, since it's already a thing that's in game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dezztroy posted:

Like all tanks of the era had the same setup for crew, ammo and engine placement. :ssh:

Driver and radio operator in front hull. Driver on the left side (did English tanks have the driver on the right?), RO on the right. Turret houses the Gunner, Commander and Loader. Gunner on the left, commander behind him and loader on the right. Ammo storage under turret, often in sponsons. Engine in the back, transmission in the front for German tanks.

Engine in the back?

Except on a T-28, where there's a giant pile of largely irrelevant metal in the back that will do nothing if you shoot it.

Wales Grey posted:

Google "$TANK_NAME Internal Layout" or some-such combination of words including the name of the tank and "cutaway" or "x-ray" or "internals".

Yeah it's a bit too much for me.

Planes: nice and easy, just use gun on man

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You don't even need to sperg out that much, you just need an understand of the general layouts that Germany and Russia used. Probably 90% of turreted tanks store their ammo below the turret, thats where you want to shoot on a side shot. Many also store ammo in the back of the turret, consider shooting there instead of the engine if you're behind them and the turret armor is poo poo. Blowing up ammo is infinitely preferable to setting an engine on fire and maybe disabling it.

As for armor, its not hard to remember generalities either. "T-34, thick turrets, thin hulls, shoot hull." "Tiger, lovely turrets, shittier gun mantlets early on, shoot turret".

UberJew posted:

Engine in the back?

Except on a T-28

Most Russian Tanks are that way.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 4, 2014

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

So I finally broke down and got a bomber to farm points. It turns out the B-25 is now my favorite fighter. :getin:

e: Despite me trying my best every round, I've yet to successfully bomb a target.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Why did they paint it that way? I know the germans were stricter than some nations about marking the nationality of their equipment correctly, but what is neon yellow for?

I seem contrarian and extra argumentative today because I havent slept in 24 hours BTW, just ignore me.

The neon yellow on captured planes was to make it super visible, to make sure that some overly enthusiastic AA gunner wouldn't blow a passing thunderbolt from the sky. They didn't fly them in combat anyway, they just flew them to evaluate performance.

Notice that the Hitlerbolt is only neon yellow on the bottom, and then has a regular paint scheme on the top.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Dezztroy posted:

(did English tanks have the driver on the right?)

Yes, they had him on the correct side, with a few exceptions, such as the Matilda, where he's in the center.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Orange Mage posted:

Low tier germans aren't all bad, they just don't have a clear path of good tanks out the gate. The reserve tank owns, use it to unlock the Stug then go from there. There are certainly some poo poo tanks in that lineup, but they can be avoided.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

HoboMan posted:

So I finally broke down and got a bomber to farm points. It turns out the B-25 is now my favorite fighter. :getin:
You should try out the PBJ. It is a B-25 with more guns; the first one has a tank cannon too.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Do the Germans have anything akin to a turn fighter at all? My flying style is more into turn fighting as opposed to boom and zoom, or are all their T3 and up stuff boom and zoom? Before tanks came along I blew British planes.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 4, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geisladisk posted:

The neon yellow on captured planes was to make it super visible, to make sure that some overly enthusiastic AA gunner wouldn't blow a passing thunderbolt from the sky. They didn't fly them in combat anyway, they just flew them to evaluate performance.

Notice that the Hitlerbolt is only neon yellow on the bottom, and then has a regular paint scheme on the top.

I guess that makes sense since they dont have the luxury of being in a massive country like the US where you can assume a plane flying in the midwest is sure to not be german.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Do the Germans have anything akin to a turn fighter at all? My flying style is more into turn fighting as opposed to boom and zoom, or are all their T3 and up stuff boom and zoom? Before tanks came along I blew British planes.

He 112 A-0 is my favorite turnfighter in the game.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ludicro posted:

Aside from the HE-112 that was mentioned, no. Unless you count a Stukka with its wheels ripped off as a turnfighter. If you want to turnfight, go with Britain or Japan.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

HoboMan posted:

He 112 A-0 is my favorite turnfighter in the game.

The 112s are wonderful planes because they also go fast enough to easily outrun the biplanes they'll be facing, at least in my experience. I tended to both energy fight and turn fight in them. And yeah, the A-0 is godmode. I don't know what it is about that single motorkanone that makes it a magic death ray even though I can't hit/kill poo poo with MG 151 motorkanones but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I would honestly call 109 E-1 E-3 F-1 and F-2 turnfighters but he said "past era 3".

• Locked thread