Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Even with Stannis the wall doesn't really have a chance of holding, right? The wildling army is pretty drat big.

6 times a king beyond the wall has tried to invade the south! 6 times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

PantsBandit posted:

Even with Stannis the wall doesn't really have a chance of holding, right? The wildling army is pretty drat big.

Well, if they closed the tunnels, it might.

CSM posted:

Except for trying to kill his kid?

Ned didn't know that.

CSM posted:

The reason Catelyn Tully and Robb Stark are dead is because they embarked on a difficult war and then proceeded to alienate all their allies. They got killed for being dumbasses. Just like their father.

None of the Starks were particularly savvy to the ways of the rest of the kingdom, but that's a bit much. Robb did gently caress up with the Freys, and Cat hosed up the whole Karstark situation, but Bolton straight up betrayed them.

And the point I was making is that without Littlefinger's plot, they could have all remained happy too-honorable living Northerners. Which makes Littlefinger the ultimate reason Cat is dead.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I don't think Bolton would've betrayed them if they hadn't hosed up in the first place. He was rational enough to see they couldn't win the war, made/was offered an out and took it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

He wasn't. He got himself killed because he went against the powerful Lannisters and tried to overthrow Joffrey.

Wasn't that because Robert wrote as his last command to make Ned King Regent or whatever until Joffrey was older and hopefully less of a poo poo?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't that because Robert wrote as his last command to make Ned King Regent or whatever until Joffrey was older and hopefully less of a poo poo?

Yeah and Cersei just tore it up. Which is what Renly said would happen. "She won't care."

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Dangersim posted:

The point is he wants her, this isn't hard

the posted:

But you know what is? :pervert:

His... little finger?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZEk4NG1-o

:stare:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BubbleGoose posted:

...maybe this show has made me a bit cynical, because I can't picture a power player--and Targaryan on top of that--being so high minded and pure of thought as Dany attempts to be, without there being some darker, less conscious psychological motivation at work.

You're right to think this way, though. Her story this season has been about her inability to control the empire she's built, and the single-minded violence behind her mission. She's still a naive teenager, who didn't understand that toppling the masters in Astapor and Yunkai just created a vacuum to be filled by new tyrants. And more than that, she's maniacal and violent in a way she can't see, since she tortured and murdered every master at Mereen, even if some may theoretically have been her allies under the new order.

Which I think is a pretty organic way to complicate Dany as a character. She thinks she's above the base impulses of other rulers, and that she's on a messianic mission to save people. But really, she's as power-hungry and capricious as anyone. The scene where Drogon snaps at her says it all: power has a dark side that's dangerous and out of her control.

The fact she finally dismissed Jorah, one of her primary voices of political reason, tells me she isn't getting the message. By the time she gets to Westeros, I imagine she'll be a wholesale villain and dictator. (My current long-form pet theory is that Jon Snow will become an influential figure in the North who commands an army, and Dany will eventually pull the trigger on an invasion of King's Landing, and those two factions will fight. Of course, this being Game of Thrones, they'll both die. Ramsay Bolton will be King of Westeros.)

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

"You're going to lift that?"

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
Has anyone shared this comic yet? It's awesome.

http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

I really love how The Mountain looks especially, a lot more menacing with the helmet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Savage Cracker posted:

6 times a king beyond the wall has tried to invade the south! 6 times!

I really hope a bunch of zombies show up in the middle of the battle and kill everyone on both sides (except for Jon and Sam and Mance and maybe Ygritte)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

precision posted:

I really hope a bunch of zombies show up in the middle of the battle and kill everyone on both sides (except for Jon and Sam and Mance and maybe Ygritte)

Eh, gently caress Mance he can die too. For all the build up he had before his introduction, and being played by Caesar, he's done gently caress all interesting.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Ginny posted:

http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

I really love how The Mountain looks especially, a lot more menacing with the helmet.

It is more menacing, but it's hard to perform a well choreographed fight with the extremely limited vision it provides. TV has to contend with some real world technicalities...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ginny posted:

The scene in the show would have been a lot more interesting if they gave us the impression that Oberyn was actually making The Mountain upset. As a plebian show-watcher all the evidence leads me to conclude that The Mountain is literally retarded and doesn't even know what the gently caress he's doing. That comic seems to imply that there was a glimmer of understanding ("you're making my head hurt") and that he's not just some brain-dead rear end in a top hat smashing beetles.

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Jorghnassen posted:

It is more menacing, but it's hard to perform a well choreographed fight with the extremely limited vision it provides. TV has to contend with some real world technicalities...

Clearly you've never watched Spartacus

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

precision posted:

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

I didn't think it looked particularly stupid. I don't have any doubt that if a guy that big were in that position over me he could cave my skull in by squeezing hard enough.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yeah and Cersei just tore it up. Which is what Renly said would happen. "She won't care."

She did care. that was the problem. What Ned was doing was literally going to get her and her kids killed. She's super hosed up, and evil as gently caress, but in season 1 she was fighting to keep her kids alive. She was fine with sending Ned to the Wall, because that would've ended the threat just as well. She didn't actually hate him (as opposed to someone like Tyrion), he was just a very real threat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bobo the Red posted:

She did care. that was the problem. What Ned was doing was literally going to get her and her kids killed. She's super hosed up, and evil as gently caress, but in season 1 she was fighting to keep her kids alive. She was fine with sending Ned to the Wall, because that would've ended the threat just as well. She didn't actually hate him (as opposed to someone like Tyrion), he was just a very real threat.

He did offer her a way out. That she could escape with their lives, she just did not want to leave.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

Yep. Remember, she did a pretty big spittake when Joeffry had Ned killed on the spot. Even she knew that was a dumb idea when shipping him off would solve the problem.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I didn't think it looked particularly stupid. I don't have any doubt that if a guy that big were in that position over me he could cave my skull in by squeezing hard enough.

it takes 500 pounds of force to crush the skull like that, and the average male can exert 200 pounds pressing on someone's head like that, so I think Thor Bjornsson really could do that. I would pay to see him do that to a roast hog or something

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alberto Basalm posted:

it takes 500 pounds of force to crush the skull like that, and the average male can exert 200 pounds pressing on someone's head like that, so I think Thor Bjornsson really could do that. I would pay to see him do that to a roast hog or something

I didn't say it was unrealistic, I just thought it looked stupid.

It may very well look stupid if someone did that to an actual human being, too, that doesn't change my point. I mean I fell off a porch and sliced my arm open one time, and it looked downright comical and fake, not horrifying.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Alberto Basalm posted:

A skull shattering would probably cut the person crushing it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I'd laugh if the battle swapped gears from "Let us into your Castle so we can kill you, Crows!" to "Let us into your Castle oh Jesus Christ they're all around us!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Are we really arguing about the quality of the special effects of a man having his skull popped like a grape? It was horrifying mostly because of the context, not just because of the action and gore.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
If it wasn't so clearly a brain-a-splosion, we'd have a ton of people going "wait, what, did Oberyn actually die there?? oh god i hope he's ok :f5:"

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

precision posted:

It may very well look stupid if someone did that to an actual human being, too, that doesn't change my point. I mean I fell off a porch and sliced my arm open one time, and it looked downright comical and fake, not horrifying.

oh it absolutely looked stupid. I agree there. Like something you'd see in a shooter game.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

precision posted:

I'm re-imagining the ending now with Tyrion just saying "Pfff. That's stupid" skeptically after Oberyn's head explodes and it's pretty great

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Are we really arguing about the quality of the special effects of a man having his skull popped like a grape? It was horrifying mostly because of the context, not just because of the action and gore.

Also the effects were pretty loving sweet, I think.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the epic battle is going to be Lord of Vale Robert trying to convince someone to breast feed him.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Alberto Basalm posted:

First off, we're in a reality where there are fire-breathing dragons and vagina demons, and you're complaining about the realism in someone crushing someone's skull?

Second off, there was just a video posted where that actor deadlifted 994 loving pounds, so I wouldn't put it past him.

edit: I forgot the White Walkers, so add invulnerable undead ice zombies

the fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Bobo the Red posted:

Renly meant she wouldn't care that Ned had been granted Protector of the Realm status from King Robert. And she didn't.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd laugh if the battle swapped gears from "Let us into your Castle so we can kill you, Crows!" to "Let us into your Castle oh Jesus Christ they're all around us!"

It seems pretty clear that one of the big reasons the Wildlings are moving south is because of the White Walkers, and they hate the Night's Watch because one of their standing orders is to prevent the Wildlings from doing that. So basically they are screwed unless they either hold Castle Black and open up the tunnel, or the NW opens up the tunnel and lets them in which isn't going to happen. Even Jon, who tagged along with them and thus would be the most sympathetic, isn't proposing that.

MrBims posted:

If it wasn't so clearly a brain-a-splosion, we'd have a ton of people going "wait, what, did Oberyn actually die there?? oh god i hope he's ok :f5:"

Gale from Breaking Bad is still alive because we didn't see his brain caved in, yo

Max
Nov 30, 2002

oswald ownenstein posted:

Renly meant she wouldn't care that Ned had been granted Protector of the Realm status from King Robert. And she didn't.

More specifically, she wouldn't care that it was a royal order, and treated it like a dirty piece of paper, as opposed to Barristan, who balks at the very idea of ignoring a written decree.

marktheando posted:

Reminder that Stannis sliced the top of a dude's skull off like it was nothing, the hound has bisected people at least twice. A little Roy Batty style head crushing is nothing really.

Also one man cloned himself a bunch of times and took out an entire committee of people in front of a woman who had walked into a raging fire and survived with no injury to herself.

Max fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 4, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reminder that Stannis sliced the top of a dude's skull off like it was nothing, the hound has bisected people at least twice. A little Roy Batty style head crushing is nothing really.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Gale from Breaking Bad is still alive because we didn't see his brain caved in, yo

Not sure if you remember the gap between seasons but a LOT of people argued that.

Fun trivia about that scene: It was shot in such a way with the hand shake that no matter where you move, the gun is always pointed at you when viewing it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BubbleGoose posted:

This kicks rear end. Now I desperately want all of SOIF in graphic novel form.
They're actually making this, and... no, you really don't. Please don't go out and buy it by accident.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There is no room for reality in fantasy.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

marktheando posted:

Don't forget we have Giants. Maybe he has a little of that in his blood.

I think the point is that realism isn't what this show is going for.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Don't forget we have Giants. Maybe he has a little of that in his blood.

I think the point is that realism isn't what this show is going for.

Yeah, this show absolutely revels in being pulpy. I think it's trying to be realistic in terms of subverting our traditional ideas of medieval tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bobkatt013 posted:

He did offer her a way out. That she could escape with their lives, she just did not want to leave.

A way out that would have her on the run from the entire country with 3 kids. Ned's option was a loving joke, he just didn't realize he was telling one. We saw how loving bad Rob B wanted to assassinate Dany, what resources was he going to spare in catching the wife who cuckolded him and the incest abominations that resulted from it?

Varys even told Ned that his decision to warn Cersei is why Robert died. And it's true, because at that point, she absolutely had to do it. No way Robert believes her over Ned. And once he was dead, her kids had to be the rightful heirs, because, again, if they weren't, they were all dead. No poo poo she was gonna ignore that letter.

monster on a stick posted:

It seems pretty clear that one of the big reasons the Wildlings are moving south is because of the White Walkers, and they hate the Night's Watch because one of their standing orders is to prevent the Wildlings from doing that. So basically they are screwed unless they either hold Castle Black and open up the tunnel, or the NW opens up the tunnel and lets them in which isn't going to happen. Even Jon, who tagged along with them and thus would be the most sympathetic, isn't proposing that.

Yeah, they've mentioned the previous attempts at breaking through the wildlings made, but this one is a bit different. The're not just raiding, they're trying run, as far and as fast as possible (though they are incredibly slow). I think the idea is that they can break through the tunnel (they have giants), not that it needs to be opened. That's why Jon Snow wants to close it with ice and rocks, essentially making it solid Wall. The guys that scaled the Wall are there to distract and flank them, not beat them outright. Assuming Stannis shows up, it's gonna be a hell of a battle.

Of course, maybe the whitewalkers get them first (though that puts the WW really loving close to the Wall).

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread