Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Quick mini poll for the roll20 sheet,

Would you like talents, feats, and spells to...

A: Have a single resizable textarea per entry?

B: Have a standard input for the ability's name and then a textarea beneath it for the mechanics of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
B, definitely. Also having a dice option there would be pretty sweet.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

having a dice option there would be pretty sweet.

Wouldn't that be better saved for a macro? since each one has their own rules.

I could make a textbox/area that would be be called when you press a nearby button, but that seems like a waste of space since you could just make a macro for it, and get the benefits of autocomplete and knowing it works.

Current version on my personal campaign. Not pushed on github yet, Thoughts?

(Elaine is a player in my game)

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 30, 2014

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Btw, the latest View from the Pelgrane's Nest is up:

http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=15203

Wanna see sexy? Check out the new Drakkenhall map:

(Full size it at the link above - plus more layout samples from 13TW)

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kenderama posted:

Btw, the latest View from the Pelgrane's Nest is up:

http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=15203

Wanna see sexy? Check out the new Drakkenhall map:

That seems a little... on the nose, don't you think?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

When you're an Icon, branding is very important.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

We're talking about immortal narcissistic dragons with functionally infinite time on their hands for urban planning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Afinostux posted:

We're talking about immortal narcissistic dragons with functionally infinite time on their hands for urban planning.

The real evil is the commute.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The massive destructive power of the red is surprisingly useful for building bypasses.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
It's mostly that loving tail

and those heads, any sensible map would just have three north gates

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 31, 2014

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

It's sort of like main street USA, but they couldn't decide what would be the most "the three" way to greet visitors, so each of them came up with one.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Blue Street is a practical, normal entrance. Black Street is a back alley only accessible at night. Red Street is on fire. Always.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The Crusader's citadel is laid out to look like a gauntleted fist giving the finger.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

waderockett posted:

The Crusader's citadel is laid out to look like a gauntleted fist giving the finger.

This will now be canon in my game

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Unlike humans, who lay out their cities haphazardly, dragons have to actually look at their layout from above all the time when they fly. It makes sense that they would force the most beautiful possible shape on a city.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Starting a new campaign this week which may end up being nothing but 13 True Ways classes. Occultist, Druid, and Monk.

It's also looking like each player may wind up being one of the three variants of Werebeast, which is doing my ego no end of good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is it going to be normal for this game's releases to be so far apart? I was just checking out my Kickstarter profile to see what projects slipped through the cracks, and 13 True Ways funded in September 2012, meaning that it took ~2 years of work to get out? I don't even remember when 13th Age came out, and I'm not expecting (or desiring) WotC's monthly splatbook program, but that is a hell of a long time between resources.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

-Fish- posted:

Starting a new campaign this week which may end up being nothing but 13 True Ways classes. Occultist, Druid, and Monk.

It's also looking like each player may wind up being one of the three variants of Werebeast, which is doing my ego no end of good.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm particularly interested in how the occultist handles in play since it has really unusual mechanics. I wonder if it would be better in a larger party since there would be more potential triggers.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it going to be normal for this game's releases to be so far apart? I was just checking out my Kickstarter profile to see what projects slipped through the cracks, and 13 True Ways funded in September 2012, meaning that it took ~2 years of work to get out? I don't even remember when 13th Age came out, and I'm not expecting (or desiring) WotC's monthly splatbook program, but that is a hell of a long time between resources.
We should have a steady release schedule from here on out. We get the Bestiary this month, 13 True Ways in August, and probably three adventures after that. 2015 will be even better.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

HomegrownHydra posted:

We should have a steady release schedule from here on out. We get the Bestiary this month, 13 True Ways in August, and probably three adventures after that. 2015 will be even better.

The main book came out at GenCon last year as well.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Latest organized play adventure, Tower of the Ogre Mage, just went out to subscribers. I gotta ask, does ASH LAW really have a real name that sounds like an pulp action hero?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm reading the adventure now. I like how they're doing something short to break up the whole "fight orcs for three months solid" thing. I think I'll see if any of my players want to try out the playtest classes for it too.

Still not 100% sure how this adventure is supposed to work, though...

e: I do really like the idea of using Icon relationship dice to avoid traps, though.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 4, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: I do really like the idea of using Icon relationship dice to avoid traps, though.
Can you tell the rest of us not doing organized play more about this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's a way of getting around the fact that relationship rolls aren't that useful in Organized Play since (by the nature of organized play in general) you need to follow a scripted adventure. Like, one whole season was the group running in front of an army of orcs in the frozen wastes, so there weren't a lot of chances to have NPCs come in. Most of the time they just translate into "an agent of _________ shows up and gives you a magic item".

Basically they're normal traps (it's a DC to notice them before they get one attack against however many targets), but if you have good relationships with certain Icons then you can avoid them completely, get rerolls, or some surprise benefit.

Here's one of the traps:

quote:

Creeping Hand
A severed undead hand drops down like a grisly spider.
DC to avoid (discover/dodge/disarm): 20
Attack +10 vs AC — 3d6 damage
Lich King: A 5 lets you sense the hand ahead of time and re­roll to avoid it, a 6 lets you capture the hand (and maybe make use of it later somehow).
Priestess: A 5 lets you turn the hand to dust, a 6 gives you a recovery as the gods of light bless you for laying the hand to rest.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

... That is awesome

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of my favorites is the "Sleeping Kobold", because if you roll a 6 with the Orc Lord you intimidate him into carrying your stuff for the rest of the adventure, and if you roll a 6 with the Great Gold Wyrm makes him your faithful squire for the rest of the adventure.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm a pretty big fan of the "dungeon pressure" system. It's basically a stealth meter for the dungeon, which goes up the louder and more blatant you get and down the quieter you get. When you go into a new area, you roll a d6: if you roll equal to or lower than the dungeon pressure you run into wandering monsters, if you roll higher you get a trap. Traps also tend to increase your dungeon pressure because you're gonna make some noise when a lightning ward tasers you in the face.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm thinking of testing a way of using Icon dice in my upcoming Theros game. I may give them to the players to spend, in the sense of: when you're in a situation and need some help that is in theme for your Icon, spend the die. For a 5, the problem you're facing changes. For a 6, things improve, straight up.

Because I'm using gods and Theros rather than the standard Icons, this might take the form in combat of, say, a divine blessing or a divine curse, or the sudden appearance of a god-sent monster (which then has to be dealt with afterwards) or so on. It feels like it might be easier and more organic than me trying to plan in the Icon rolls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to say I'm really impressed with how Pelgrane's been adjusting and tweaking the organized play adventures to take into account that they don't work like "normal" campaigns, and how they change things that don't work.

It's like the exact opposite of Encounters.

e:

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm thinking of testing a way of using Icon dice in my upcoming Theros game. I may give them to the players to spend, in the sense of: when you're in a situation and need some help that is in theme for your Icon, spend the die. For a 5, the problem you're facing changes. For a 6, things improve, straight up.

Because I'm using gods and Theros rather than the standard Icons, this might take the form in combat of, say, a divine blessing or a divine curse, or the sudden appearance of a god-sent monster (which then has to be dealt with afterwards) or so on. It feels like it might be easier and more organic than me trying to plan in the Icon rolls.
I did something similar in Organized Play, in that you could spend a die to get a +2 to a roll but using a 5 meant there was some drawback.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I did something similar in Organized Play, in that you could spend a die to get a +2 to a roll but using a 5 meant there was some drawback.

I did a one-off where the GM did this, except it was a +4, and a 5 meant it came at the cost of a -2 on the next roll, whatever it might be.

Boring, but probably about as low maintenance as you could ever get.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

HomegrownHydra posted:

Let us know how it turns out. I'm particularly interested in how the occultist handles in play since it has really unusual mechanics. I wonder if it would be better in a larger party since there would be more potential triggers.

I'll be recording it, so I can just share each iteration of the game here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of the "dungeon pressure" system. It's basically a stealth meter for the dungeon, which goes up the louder and more blatant you get and down the quieter you get. When you go into a new area, you roll a d6: if you roll equal to or lower than the dungeon pressure you run into wandering monsters, if you roll higher you get a trap. Traps also tend to increase your dungeon pressure because you're gonna make some noise when a lightning ward tasers you in the face.

I've been running a house rule like this, but I didn't know it was actually supposed to be a part of any game I played. Where can I read more about this?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

DalaranJ posted:

I've been running a house rule like this, but I didn't know it was actually supposed to be a part of any game I played. Where can I read more about this?

Sign up for organized play here (it's super loving worth it, they've got a lot of fun mechanics like montages which are now a staple of everything I do): http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=12301

Alternatively, here's the blurb on Dungeon Pressure:

quote:

Dungeon Pressure
This bit is new... Don’t worry if you haven't heard about dungeon pressure before, this is new to this adventure.
Increasing the dungeon pressure. If the adventurers take actions that would alert monsters to their presence, increase the dungeon pressure by 1 or 2. Examples of actions that would increase the dungeon pressure are kicking down doors, bashing open chests, and combat. Entering a new area always increases the dungeon pressure by 1.

Decreasing the dungeon pressure. If the adventurers are deliberately sneaky, actively attempt to hide from monsters (they may fail and still have to deal with the monsters, but just making the attempt is good enough), or are very clever in thinking of ways to avoid combat then lower the dungeon pressure by 1 or 2.

Using the dungeon pressure. Rather than having preset encounters in each location the monsters wander about. The wandering monsters in this adventure (on pages 57) are the only monsters in this adventure. Each time the adventurers enter a new area, after increasing the dungeon pressure, roll a d6 (or a d3-1 in session 2). If you roll equal or less than the dungeon pressure the adventurers will encounter wandering monsters. If you roll over the dungeon pressure introduce a noncombat hazard (from page 8).

Edit: Seriously though, it's super painless to sign up for the org play just to get the adventures in your inbox.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Are there any good cheat-sheets for PCs/GMs? I'm starting to get involved with the system, and neither I nor my perspective players have played it before. Some of us have d20-game experience, some have never rolled something other than a d6 in their life, and such sheets would be quite helpful. I'll probably make some if not, but just wondering if I can save some time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
What kind of information are you looking for? The back of the book has conditions, what you can/can't do while engaged, and what the consumable magic items do/cost.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
I suppose that's a good point -- first I'd missed that, and secondly I'm not really sure. Part of that I guess is not remembering what it was like back when I was starting to play anything at all and not knowing what would have been helpful there.

I should probably just spend a load of time writing Roll20 macros for folks and explaining them thereafter.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

In the resources section, there are player aids for the GM and players

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CaptCommy posted:

fun mechanics like montages

I'm sorry, this is impossibly compelling.

Organized Play posted:

If you just want to run the adventures for your home group that's cool with us too.

I'm in.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I also like the boss fight design from Castle Screamhaunt with giving the Boss as many actions as their are party members and increasing the health with the party size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Twibbit posted:

I also like the boss fight design from Castle Screamhaunt with giving the Boss as many actions as their are party members and increasing the health with the party size.

Yeah, that was a problem during Wrath of the Orc Lord, where it was one (admittedly huge) monster versus 7 PCs and no health scaling on what amounted to a flat plain. It was a bit of a muckle.