Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

YellerBill posted:

The 112s are wonderful planes because they also go fast enough to easily outrun the biplanes they'll be facing, at least in my experience. I tended to both energy fight and turn fight in them. And yeah, the A-0 is godmode. I don't know what it is about that single motorkanone that makes it a magic death ray even though I can't hit/kill poo poo with MG 151 motorkanones but I love it.

A-0 has literally the same gun, or better it's aerial adaptation, as the Flakpanzer. It's literally an anti-aircraft gun on an aircraft. Why they dropped that idea later, I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My favorite (but possibly not a good thing) part about the A-0's gun is the low rate of fire. 2 rounds per second means the ammo lasts a while and at that tier even a couple hits are gonna wreck a lot of things. Also, I don't think I've ever jammed that gun thanks to it firing at 120rpm. I'm sure its possible though, but you must have to fire for figuratively forever.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My favorite (but possibly not a good thing) part about the A-0's gun is the low rate of fire. 2 rounds per second means the ammo lasts a while and at that tier even a couple hits are gonna wreck a lot of things. Also, I don't think I've ever jammed that gun thanks to it firing at 120rpm. I'm sure its possible though, but you must have to fire for figuratively forever.

I'm pretty sure that on my spaded A-0 the gun will run out of ammo, or at least come close, before it jams.

edit: the A-0 is one of the few planes I go legit seal clubbing in

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish the 112 A-0 got APCR rounds. Especially since the whole point of the A-0 was ground attack.

UberJew posted:

Engine in the back?

Except on a T-28, where there's a giant pile of largely irrelevant metal in the back that will do nothing if you shoot it.

Anything behind the turret is the back of the tank, really. If you're shooting a T-28 from behind, your round will still reach the engine even if it has to pass through a bunch of hollow space. If you're shooting a T-28 from the side, then what are you doing aiming for the engine anyways? Side shot = Ammo shot.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 4, 2014

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of seal clubbing, I just took Soviet P-63A-10 into a combined forces battle and jumped right into it.

I got 8 air player kills and strafed a Hetzer to death to top it off, all without landing or anything :stare:

It felt like beating up an entire special needs children orphanage while wearing a superman costume.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
T1 matches with crossplay players. :magical:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Teal posted:

Why they dropped that idea later, I have no clue.

Because A) High ROF is extremely important in air to air combat and B) It was really loving hard to hit things with not-flak based AAA to begin with.

Everyone here is all gaga over the Wirbelwind or whatever, but they only made a hundred of the stupid things then realized even with 4 guns it was still really hard to hit anything and scrapped it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
So I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I don't get how to use IL-2s in CA. I'm using armored belts on my cannons and at best they'll damage something even when I attack from above (which usually gets me killed because it pulls out of dives terribly). I can kill a tank using all my rockets, and because there isn't any bombsight I can't accurately place bombs and always miss. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the difference between Russian and German AI AAA is astounding and they really need to do something about it. I can barely fly over the field in German planes, but nothing ever fires at me when I'm flying Russian.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So Jingles did a thing on tank ammo. It's actually pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwqImiJVchc

Might want to add this to the OP for those new to the thread and interested in tank battles?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azran posted:

T1 matches with crossplay players. :magical:

They're in already? They get arcade only, right?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Don't bother with your guns on tanks. Learn to dive bomb. Your time is better spent RTBing and re-loading as an IL-2 then fruitlessly shooting bullets at things tanks.

Thief posted:

The Il-2's guns will kill the poo poo out of any planes in the area.

Yeah

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
The Il-2's guns will kill the poo poo out of any planes in the area. Just look at the vid I posted like a page or two ago, they're practically on par with American .50s in terms of killing range.

Rhopunzel posted:

I can kill a tank using all my rockets, and because there isn't any bombsight I can't accurately place bombs and always miss. What am I doing wrong?

It's actually easier to dive bomb in sim battles because all you have to do is set a timer, dive in and release the bomb as your target disappears under your nose.

Otherwise, you just gotta eyeball that poo poo from 3rd person view.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're in already? They get arcade only, right?

Players with an * next to their name seem to be cross play people. I haven't tried playing Realistic to see if they are there yet, too much fun killing seals in Arcade. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rorac posted:

So Jingles did a thing on tank ammo. It's actually pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwqImiJVchc

Might want to add this to the OP for those new to the thread and interested in tank battles?

Jingles is a hack who is talking a lot without actually saying much useful. Video could be 14 min shorter

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 4, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

My problem with that video is that he's mostly spouting information off Wikipedia, which is something you can basically read by yourself through Google without the need to give Jingles a spot on the OP. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Azran posted:

Players with an * next to their name seem to be cross play people. I haven't tried playing Realistic to see if they are there yet, too much fun killing seals in Arcade. :v:

They can do Realistic and Sim, but it's unlikely to ever seen one in RB.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dezztroy posted:

Like all tanks of the era had the same setup for crew, ammo and engine placement. :ssh:

Driver and radio operator in front hull. Driver on the left side (did English tanks have the driver on the right?), RO on the right. Turret houses the Gunner, Commander and Loader. Gunner on the left, commander behind him and loader on the right. Ammo storage under turret, often in sponsons. Engine in the back, transmission in the front for German tanks.

I believe that the British had their gunner and loader on opposite sides from the US, which is why the 17lbr on US tanks is mounted a bit differently than normal.

German tanks tend to stick ammo racks in the bustles over the tracks. Early Shermans had ammo there too (where the applique armor is on some of them), but later I think they just put all of the non-ready ammo on the floor.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Jingles is a hack who is talking a lot without actually saying much useful. Video could be 14 min shorter

But that's the best part! He talks as if he's doing some kind of creepy ASMR fetish video.

He autographed our tanks with HEAT rounds the other day.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Question re: Tanks. Like, IRL tanks.

So when the gun fires, it's got a built in recoil system, so it shifts back inside the tank real quick before returning to its initial position, right? I couldn't find a good gif of it. Considering there's not a whole lot of room inside the turret, is the game plan of everyone else just "don't be in the way"? I've seen a video for M1 Abrams where the loader has to actually grab ahold of two handles before the gun will let the gunner fire. Are there instances of people getting smushed in the tank because the gunner got excited?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Azran posted:

My problem with that video is that he's mostly spouting information off Wikipedia, which is something you can basically read by yourself through Google without the need to give Jingles a spot on the OP. :v:

Yeah, it's not exactly hard to figure out when picking ammunition that you are effectively comparing penetration vs collateral damage. You don't need a 15 minute video to tell you that. Both HE and APCR are specialized rounds that both exist on the extreme ends of the collateral damage vs penetration scale and both have dubious usefulness and shouldn't be the only thing you pack in your racks. APHE and APBCs exist in the middle ground where it's generally going to penetrate on well placed shots and will do a shitload of damage once it's broken through armor. HEAT exists more towards the penetration side but is kind of necessary for early german T1 short barreled tanks. I can't speak for HEAT on higher tier tanks and it's usefulness there though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Propagandist posted:

So when the gun fires, it's got a built in recoil system, so it shifts back inside the tank real quick before returning to its initial position, right? I couldn't find a good gif of it. Considering there's not a whole lot of room inside the turret, is the game plan of everyone else just "don't be in the way"? I've seen a video for M1 Abrams where the loader has to actually grab ahold of two handles before the gun will let the gunner fire. Are there instances of people getting smushed in the tank because the gunner got excited?

A quick google says yes, even in modern tanks like the Abrams, the gun recoils and will kill you dead if it hits you.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Tanks today (the M1 Abrams for example) have sheets of metal around the gun breech to stop you from accidentally resting your arm in its way and promptly breaking every bone in said arm.

That Jingles video is bad because he failed to mention that Pzgr.39 has an explosive filler and therefore won't "ricochet around inside the tank".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Propagandist posted:

Generally there's rails in the way where the gun will recoil to make it a bit harder for people to get in the way of it. Some vehicles (Like the Jagdpanzer 38t) would have safety locks that would have to be manually engaged before the gun would fire.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

A quick google says yes, even in modern tanks like the Abrams, the gun recoils and will kill you dead if it hits you.

There is also plenty of paperwork filed about dumbasses standing behind howitzers and getting their chest cavity caved into their spine. Equal opposite forces and such

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dezztroy posted:

Tanks today (the M1 Abrams for example) have sheets of metal around the gun breech to stop you from accidentally resting your arm in its way and promptly breaking every bone in said arm.

That Jingles video is bad because he failed to mention that Pzgr.39 has an explosive filler and therefore won't "ricochet around inside the tank".

And that apcr is bad because it over penetrates, missing the obvious reason of it making tiny holes

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

There is also plenty of paperwork filed about dumbasses standing behind howitzers and getting their chest cavity caved into their spine. Equal opposite forces and such

Word is yes, he died.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Propagandist posted:

Pretty much. Look at this video from inside a russian SPG (not a tank technically, same principle applies): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18iXHl_H48

Although that huge recoil initially looks scary as all gently caress, notice how the layout of the fighting compartment pretty much prevents anyone from standing behind the gun. The loader would have to be a real loving dumbass and lean over the railing thing on his side to get his face in the way. He's in a little pit. Ditto for everyone else. Also note that the gunner has a steel plate between him and the cannon.

Safe? Not really. A complete death trap? Not really. It's not really possible to have a multi-ton cannon recoil inside a tiny fighting compartment in a safe manner, but a combination of training and clever interior design mitigates it greatly.

edit: Here's a video from inside a Abrams turret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTDyJmKCnQ. You can see the handles you mentioned, the loader grabs them when he's done loading. That turret is a lot roomier, but those handles are there to prevent an accident.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Wales Grey posted:

Planes and tanks are built in different ways: the textures for the planes are "sewn" together around the model while the tanks just sort of have whatever camouflage dumped all over their .blk model.

So a plane skin looks like this:

While a tank skin looks like this:

Also they only apply to your vehicle and no one else can see it.

Any idea what is causing the excessive shinyness on custom skins?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Safe? Not really. A complete death trap? Not really. It's not really possible to have a multi-ton cannon recoil inside a tiny fighting compartment in a safe manner, but a combination of training and clever interior design mitigates it greatly.

Thanks for the responses. Although there are things to mitigate being made into paste, that's still absolutely terrifying to me.

While we're on the topic, what did they do with the spent shell casings? Is there a hole in the bottom, or did they throw them out a hatch in the top, or what?

I mean in the WWII-esque tanks, mostly.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They toss them out during a lull in the fighting.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost
Have read that during long battles they where used as impromptu toilets as well. Hope they had hatches in the bottom of the tank to get rid of those...

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
There's usually a small hatch in the turret used for loading shells, can probably use that same hatch to throw casings out. Don't think bottom hatches became a thing until after WW2.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quite a few tanks had bottom hatches. I think I remember the Chieftan talking about one when he did the look at the Matilda II.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ludicro posted:

It's probably the default normal map not meshing well with your custom skin. Try deleting it or using a blank one if it insists on loading one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm having trouble finding info on this. Is the PS4 EU/UK version updated to 1.41 yet?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's a short lesson on how important shot placement is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4NAwszHSo
I was pretty pleased to see a (vaguely related) classic WoT move still works in WT tanks: peek the very corner of your tank around a corner when you know there's an enemy there, usually they shoot and deflect or damage very little, and then you can pop out and shoot them before they reload (hopefully, depends on your tank's 0-10kph acceleration and their reload).

I also love when a Tiger/Panther does track and/or suspension damage on their first shot at me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is just the normal custom skin we can do with planes right? Or are we soon going to see a wave of people painting enemies like clowns like WoT?

I can't help but laugh that they have one for the BatChat. How I shoot tank with no armor? :downsrim:

I kind of hope these skins don't happen in WT tanks (dumb pubbies don't deserve crutches), but it doesn't really give an advantage over your average competent player who understands the general layout considerations others noted in the last couple pages.

Edit: also, I agree it would be pretty neat if you could look at the internals on the research screen. Probably even be cool to look at the plane internals too.

bUm fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 4, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bUm posted:

I kind of hope these skins don't happen in WT tanks (dumb pubbies don't deserve crutches), but it doesn't really give an advantage over your average competent player who understands the general layout considerations others noted in the last couple pages.

It would be kinda cool if the game gave an in-game reference for tank internals though! It's not good game design to force players to search the internet for references.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Ludicro posted:

The 'shinyness' is regulated via the opacity of the layer, reduce it to reduce the metalic effect.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Is there a way of getting the Instructor+ "mouse aim" mode working on PC like it does on PS4? I tried the PS4 version out last night after having played on PC for about a year and really liked it as a change of pace but last time I tried mapping a controller to use in game I could not get it working that way.

On a related note, my PC controls got reset for some reason and I went about re-mapping it and despite E not showing up under any controls aside from zoom, every time I use E to zoom in on my tank it puts me in forward cruise control. Is there an Ini file I need to mess with to fix this? I just use Z for now but E feels way more natural for me for zoom and I occasionally hit it anyhow which causes me to move forward and usually die. It does not show up as being mapped to anything but zoom either, and I get no warning message when binding something to E that it is mapped to anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pz 38(t)A trip report: It owns.

• Locked thread