Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

fatherdog posted:

Have you watched an mma heavyweight match recently

Frequently I also watch a lot of wmma

I am an equal opportunity watcher of bad fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Or most of the fights on Fight Pass cards.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
After the disproportionate amount of mismatches decrease, I don't think many people are going to believe women are bad at mma

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 4, 2014

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Most female MMA fighters are really bad at striking from range. all the ones in the UFC are pretty horrible at striking imo. Im convinced there will basically never be an striking performance like TJ dillashaws at the equivalent weightclass in female mma. But they arent really bad at fighting. Ronda for example is really really good at fighting

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

Im convinced there will basically never be an striking performance like TJ dillashaws at the equivalent weightclass in female mma.

why's that? never is a long time

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like womens' fights because a lot of them are really grapply in a way men's fights never are.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bubba Smith posted:

*cues up the Joe Rogan rant about males being naturally more predatory because of genetic memory or some poo poo*

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

maybe not never, but for a really long rear end time. Boxing has been around a while and there still arent too many technical high level female boxers, and thats without having grappling to worry about. Also (trigger warning: biotruths) its way more rare for a female to have natural KO power, and most female fighters can take a good punch, so there will be diminishing returns for most female fighters to train their striking when its viable to just pull a Rousey and wade through your opponents weak strikes and then be really good at grappling. Theres also the fact that most young girls arent interested in getting punched in the face but that could always change. It would be cool some day but its so hard to imagine

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't disagree and it's no secret that WMMA striking has a long ways to go. I just imagine that there will inevitably be a decent grappler that takes an affinity for striking under the right instruction, and then there will be a standout striking performance in a women's weight class like TJ/Barao. Might not happen for 5 years or 10 years depending how much of an impact Ronda really has at attracting female athletes to MMA. Ronda may even be that person but as you said she doesn't have much incentive to work on it. The female 115 division might shake things up too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Both Tecia Torres and Thug Rose throw murderous leather. Soon there will be punchy retired women's MMA fighters.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's going to take a long time for the level of wmma to rise to mmma simply because while nobody is exactly encouraged to pick punching people in a cage for money as their career in today's society, women are way more discouraged from doing so, so the talent pool is always going to be significantly smaller. That said, if you watch a couple Invictas you'll see it's already come a lot further a lot faster than I or most people thought it was going to.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That's why I'm interested in seeing what happens when Ronda does retire or her star fades or whatever. Dana said Ronda is already one of the top paid UFC athletes ever and that's only at 3 fights, and I'm not sure if that even factors in the pay she's getting for starring in multiple Hollywood movies next year. If she continues being a success that might change public perception that women shouldn't fight each other, and with the huge rewards that might get more women interested. Now there's not going to be a large pool of talent because fighting is something you either want to do or don't, and most people don't, but WMMA could be greatly improved in a few years.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

3 fights, homie.

n/m: you're sneaky.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

coconono posted:

Both Tecia Torres and Thug Rose throw murderous leather. Soon there will be punchy retired women's MMA fighters.

I'm Bart Scott CAN'T WAIT for Rose, Tecia and Jojo to fight each other all the time in the world famous octagon

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's too bad Miesha Tate isn't remotely in Ronda's league because WMMA needs a really good rivalry and some competitive fights at the top. Right now Ronda armbars everyone ever except for the one fight where she decided that liver shots were cool.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TheReverend posted:

3 fights, homie.

n/m: you're sneaky.

I keep forgetting the McMann fight since it had no hype whatsoever, nothing compared to her first two. And that's my point even Rousey's least important fight is more successful than the entire UFC roster. So many male fighters have like 15 fights and have never come close to sniffing what Ronda has done in 3. I'm not sure if the next female champion will capture lightning in a bottle again since Ronda has the sex market value + novelty of being the first UFC WMMA champion going for her, but it's definitely not going to suck for the next line of female fighters either.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

fatherdog posted:

Have you watched an mma heavyweight match recently

Have you ever been knee barred by the best wrestler in your country who also happens to weigh 300lbs?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

willie_dee posted:

Have you ever known true love?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

Have you ever been knee barred by the best wrestler in your country

I'm visiting Ireland in the fall so I may actually briefly be the best wrestler in a country

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I'm visiting Ireland in the fall so I may actually briefly be the best wrestler in a country

lol

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

fatherdog posted:

Come to Bristol and train with JT please. He's 265 now and is always seeking sparring partners.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Matt Riddle owns, cool dog

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Yuriy posted:

Matt Riddle owns, cool dog

Wait, did all the weed give him glaucoma?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Riddle me this
And riddle me that
Which dog's getting beaten
If they don't bring the bong back?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Wait, did all the weed give him glaucoma?

One of his kids blinded him when he was chasing after them from a no-weed fit of rage

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Riddle me this
And riddle me that
Which dog's getting beaten
If they don't bring the bong back?

lolllll

quote:

‏@philbaroni 1m
@victoronefc I hear Huerta want to make a comeback. I'll gladly put him back I to retirement @ONEFCMMA welter or light weight .

Also lollllll

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

willie_dee posted:

Come to Bristol and train with JT please. He's 265 now and is always seeking sparring partners.

Please god yes

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

willie_dee posted:

Noooo, I don't want JT to get a concussion before his Bellator debut.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.sherdog.com/events/EFC-Africa-Extreme-Fighting-Championship-Africa-30-36831

EFC has started showing their shows on Fight Network instead of just being a PPV so I assume it's kosher to post links to it now:

Today, 5 PM Eastern:

African poo poo-league!

The event actually starts/streams on FightNetwork at 2 EST but since there isn't a consistent stream for that FightCreature.com will be streaming the show in its entirety at 5PM today.

FightCreature does require registration but it literally takes like 10 seconds.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
B-League Update!

THURSDAY 6/5/14

2PM EDT - EFC Africa 30: ippv on https://efcafrica.tv

FRIDAY 6/6/14

7PM EDT - BellatorFC 121: Prindle Vs Thompson: See thread.

10PM EDT - RFA 15: Casey Vs Sanchez: axs.tv

SATURDAY 6/7/14

6:30AM EDT - RUFF 13: http://www.ruffchina.com/us/watch-ruff.html

11AM EDT - M-1 Challenge 49: http://m-1global.tv/

11:30AM EDT Cage Warriors 69: Super Saturday: http://bit.ly/cagewarriorsFBlive, Main at https://cagewarriors.mmajunkie.com.

1:30PM EDT - PLMMA 35: Stream may be forthcoming.

9PM EDT - WSOF Canada 2: Stream may be forthcoming.

11:30PM EDT - XFCi 5: http://www.redetv.uol.com.br/aovivo/

individual865 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 7, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

individual865 posted:

B-League Update!

SATURDAY 6/7/14

11AM EDT - M-1 Challenge 49: http://m-1global.tv/

11:30PM EDT - XFCi 5: http://www.redetv.uol.com.br/aovivo/

A few notes on these:

The m1 event is in a really pretty outdoor venue somewhere in the Caucus mountains

XFCi is the organization with the finest ring girl butts + a drone camera

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 5, 2014

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Yuriy posted:

A few notes on these:

The m1 event is in a really pretty outdoor venue somewhere in the Caucus mountains

XFCi is the organization with the finest ring girl butts + a drone camera

The M1 event also narrowly avoided a suicide bombing: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/6/2/5773496/alleged-suicide-bombing-planned-for-m-1-challenge-49-foiled

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Josh Gross posted:

I'm told former Pride and DSE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara is considering reentering MMA by NYE. His 7-year non-compete with Zuffa ended in May.

Is this going to be another sad deflating balloon, or a glorious trainwreck?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

A zeppelin hit by a train

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

individual865 posted:

B-League Update!

SATURDAY 6/7/14

9PM EDT - WSOF Canada 2: Stream may be forthcoming.

I doubt it'll be televised unless they do a prelim stream, but my old kickboxing coach Hakeem Dawodu is having his 2nd MMA fight on the undercard against some 10-9 journeyman.

Pros: Hits hard as gently caress for a featherweight. Good head movement. Crisp striking. Likes body hooks. Quick as gently caress. EXPLOSIVE (black).

Cons: Ground game = ???. When I knew him he was coaching at a pure kickboxing gym so I don't know poo poo about his ground game. He's cross training at one of the MMA gyms now in town but I'll be scared about his ground game until I see it in a fight. I heard that he used to wrestle, but it's Canadian wrestling so it doesn't really count. May only be getting into MMA because he was fed up with the difficulties of getting pro kickboxing fights in Canada.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

for some reason I remember him being persona non grata with the tv people? I know Fuji TV are interested in K-1 programming now that nobody cares about the yakuza stuff anymore, but MMA is a hard sell since DREAM completely failed

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

That EFC card is airing, join me in #mma if you want

Fight #1: One African black guy knocked out the other one who had like a poofy pompadour. He then made "snow angels" (mat angels??) on the ground

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Fight #2 : A man named Marcel just walked out to some happy hardcore or jumpcore poo poo or whatever in the year 2014

One guy's stance is being described as a "strange dance" by the commentary, I can't disagree

Round 1: south african wrestling is worse than british wrestling

David Bierski just beat the poo poo out of Marcel by walking into mount and then pummeling him a few dozen times. Marcel looks confused as to why it was stopped and has a white person Vitor

In his post fight interview Bierski is also upset that he didn't get to beat him up more

Fight 3: A black guy named Elvis Moyo is fighting a white guy named Brenden Grenowold

Elvis Moyo is built like Cormier but fatter

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 5, 2014